Cheap Apartment to rent for 3 months.

WhaleBomb

Hey guys, I am moving to Chiang Mai end of this month and have been looking online at many different apartments but usually they don't have a monthly rental price, or you need to rent them for at least 12 months.

I found one places called Huay Kaew Residence for 3,500 bhat per month. But I have read so many horror stories about this place I don't really want to stay there.

Is there any other places for around the same price, I am just going to be studying most of the time in my room, so I don't need anything fancy just a basic studio room will do as long as their is decent internet connection.

Thanks

Kyle

Edited by WhaleBomb

In fact, you probably should walk around and knock on a few doors before committing yourself to seeing something for such a long time that you haven't seen. Don't worry, high season only seems to last a week or so now, there's plenty of accommodation around and you will always negotiate better in person than via the internet; once you are here you are in the position to see lots of others without inconvenience to compare.

In fact, you probably should walk around and knock on a few doors before committing yourself to seeing something for such a long time that you haven't seen. Don't worry, high season only seems to last a week or so now, there's plenty of accommodation around and you will always negotiate better in person than via the internet; once you are here you are in the position to see lots of others without inconvenience to compare.

This is the best advice. If you book an apartment online before you arrive, you'll probably regret that decision. Not necessarily because that place will be bad or overpriced, but there are so many options available it is very likely you will find something better for the same price or less. Set yourself up in a guesthouse or inexpensive hotel for a few days when you arrive and hit the pavement and look at several places before you decide.

Edited by kanook

There is plenty of accommodation, but cheap like what the OP is looking for?

Might be useful to know how much OP is willing to pay and what they expect, e.g. internet, microwave, aircondition, a kitchen, tableware, etc.

For 3,500 baht/month I would expect a basic room with nothing in it and would not be surprised by a squat toilet.

Might be useful to know how much OP is willing to pay and what they expect, e.g. internet, microwave, aircondition, a kitchen, tableware, etc.

For 3,500 baht/month I would expect a basic room with nothing in it and would not be surprised by a squat toilet.

Then you'd be pleasantly surprised. You'll get a room with a bed, a table, a fridge, a microwave and air-con included. You all also get a separate bathroom with Western loo and shower facility (though sadly the shower is next to the loo in most).

It's pretty much what the richer uni students rent.

I know plenty of Westerners staying in places like that. (Though I'm not swapping my serviced hotel apartment for one thank you very much).

even if you find apartments on the net that say only 6 months or 1 year. There is no harm in contacting the owner, the agent etc and telling them your situation, more often then not the owner would rather have someone renting their room for 3 months then having it collecting dust. the 6 months to a year is obviously preferred but not set in stone. I have rented many apartments throughout Thailand that stated a year and got them for much shorter periods.

I am staying in a place in Bangkok right now for 4500 with air con, internet and toilet. That's all I need. Like I said I am mainly just looking for a cheap place to settle down and finish my year in university (open uni which is all online based) so I don't need anything luxury.

I think I will take everyones advice and just book a cheap guesthouse for a couple of days and go knocking door to door. Also when it comes to renting an apartment, can I really negotiate a better price than what it advertised? I understand you can do this in the markets when prices are not set in stone but I didn't know this was possible with accommodation (sorry for sounding like a noob, I have only been in Thailand for 10 days)

Thanks again everyone for your help, this forum has made my experience in Thailand so much easier.

P.S which areas should I look at? I heard that Nimman area is the most expensive? I would like a place that is quite close to the main city or at least close to somewhere with easy accessibility to the main city.

I am staying in a place in Bangkok right now for 4500 with air con, internet and toilet. That's all I need. Like I said I am mainly just looking for a cheap place to settle down and finish my year in university (open uni which is all online based) so I don't need anything luxury.

P.S which areas should I look at? I heard that Nimman area is the most expensive? I would like a place that is quite close to the main city or at least close to somewhere with easy accessibility to the main city.

There are many good areas in CM, but it depends on if you plan on securing your own transportation. Public transport isn't one of CM's best attributes so I will recommend two areas with your own transportation and two without, but there are other areas as well. Chang Phuek and especially the area just north of Kad Suan Kaew mall and along Huay Kaew Rd up to Maya Mall is very central and maybe one of the best areas to live if you don't want to drive or ride a motorbike. You are within walking distance of Kad Suan Kaew and Maya Mall as well as Nimman. There is a Tops supermarket in Kad Suan Kaew and a Rimping in Maya plus many places to eat nearby. Also not that far from Tannin Market and if you want to socialize with young locals, the bars in Santitham and Differ nightclub are nearby. Nimman is another area to look at, but if you find prices a bit higher there try Jet Yod Rd area, especially apartments closer to Maya Mall. If you decide to rent a bike or scooter try looking at apartments in Mae Chok area or on the the west side of the city towards Doi Suthep, especially the area near the convention center.

While walking around the old town I came across CM Apartments, http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/chiang-mai-c-m-apartment.html, in person the rates were waaayyy cheaper than online, about 4000 or 3800 for a decent room for one person. Awesome location. If I was still single I'd be there. The ONLY thing about many of these services apartments is you can't cook in them. Not the end of the world as you may want reasons to leave your room, but if u need to cook your own stuff its a deal breaker, unless nuking your food is enough.