Bangkok cabbie fined 1,000 baht for 'malfunctioning' meter

webfact

Cabbie Fined 1,000 Baht for 'Malfunctioning' Meter
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14543270791454327091l.jpg
Taxis wait at Suvarnabhumi Airport in an undated file photo. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — A taxi driver was punished today for using a broken meter that charged passengers by the second, officials said.

Thawatchai Pansu was ordered to pay a 1,000 baht fine after the agency received complaints via social media, the Department of Land Transport announced Monday, including a video showing his meter racing ahead every second.

“I just realized that meters these days go up every one second. Fine, if you want to cheat me like this, just take my damn money,” Facebook user Jam Atilal wrote in a caption for the video posted Friday.

Answering a friend’s question in the comments section, Jam said she ended up paying almost 400 baht for the ride, an unusually expensive fare for taxis in Bangkok.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454327079

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-02

1000 baht? Pathetic.

Should have calculated how much he probably made with this scam. Then multiply that figure by 25 for his fine.

Then take away his license (if he has one) for five years.

Then gaol him for, oh I don't know, 18 months for fraud.

A thpusand baht is no deterrent. He should pay 5 times that and loss of vehicle for a month. Certainly one taxi driver who gets punished severely for basically robbing a passenger will show others it could happen to them. Something seriously needs to be done about the taxis in BKK!

Where does everyone on here get their taxi's from? I have had only one taxi that tried to rip me off in 30 years, the rest have been fine. From the airport I have always had good taxi's with properly functioning meters.

There always has to be one, what do you do in your spare time, admire yourself in the mirror?

Where does everyone on here get their taxi's from? I have had only one taxi that tried to rip me off in 30 years, the rest have been fine. From the airport I have always had good taxi's with properly functioning meters.

We had a whole thread about why some people seem to experience more taxi problems than others. A lot of people got quite touchy about it, but location did seem to be a major factor. Nana/Soi 11, MBK and one of the bus terminals emerged as some of the main trouble spots as I recall. But there's always the chance of the odd rogue anywhere as this story shows, and a fine like that is not going to stop them.

Agree with most here. he will hardly be sh**ing himself with that fine. Taxis here are hit and miss. I use them when going into town and around 50% are crap, offer poor service and really don't care. Last week at Asoke I stopped two taxis who refused to take me and wanted no meter. Whilst politely pointing out that it was illegal, I was told to go and tell the Police. This I did as two Police where 5 metres away. They just looked and me and turned away. Says it all really. Things will never change here. People don't want it too. I accept that.

Where does everyone on here get their taxi's from?

Koh Samui maybe, in Samui no meter at all smile.png

Nathon pier to Lamai 23km 600 Baht...day time not raining...otherwise ??

I suspect you always travel wearing your police general's uniform.

I don't know what is worse, the taxi rigging his meter or the fact that it takes social media to bring his fraud to the attention of authorities and have anything done about it.

If they had a proper complaint line (because 1584 is a complete waste of time) which provided the complainant a follow up report on their complaint, then it might seem like they were serious about addressing this growing problem of rip off taxi's.

I have lodged a complaint with Grab taxi as the driver kept trying to contact my gf, their follow up was immediate and thorough. I use them every chance I get as I am tired of dealing with the taxi's around Sukhumvit.

It's these kinds of things that really tarnish Thailand's image.

1,000 baht fine is a joke too!!

Totally counter-productive. They're basically sending the message that there's no real consequence to cheating. A shame.

It is systematic fraud with intent.

The penalties are ridiculous here for multiple, intentional theft and fraud.

Morally and ethically, this type of crimes are not convicted here.

They should instead expel these fraudsters generally to work as a taxidriver.

Who robs a bank here is stupid.

Being a taxi driver is worth more, coz penalties with consequences for fraud here not really exist.

Edited by tomacht8