Driving license (again)

I am in the process of renewing my expired five year licence...... facepalm.gif

First you need to go to Immigration, to get a letter for proof of address @ 500 baht, plus a photo...... I I tried that yesterday, it was crazy with too many people ...(Monday, I should have known better!! so came home)

Today, I got the letter from Immigration (took about 20 mins) , then went to Lipa Noi.... Told there, you have to come before 10 AM and only do the colour blind test... not the whole testing procedure .... and bring original and copy of letter from Immigration and copy of passport..... There is a shop out side to do that!

You should end up with a 5 year licence in hand before leaving!

Probably possible to do in one morning, if you can get to Immigration at 8.30 and be first in line ....then to Lipa Noi before 10 am!

(Turn down at the turning for Raja Ferry and watch for the Motor vehicle branch entrance on the left... about 1 km or so... I think it says Land and Transport dept)...go up the divided road way .....)

By the way, if one changes address, you have also got to get the 500 baht letter from Immigration to change licence...wink.png

You have one year to get your 5 year license.

A physical test (eye, reaction) is always required.

Permanent licenses are not issued anymore (since long).

If expired more than one year:

1) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 1 YEAR
- TAKE A THEORY TEST

2) IN CASE OF DRIVING LICENCE EXPIRED MORE THAN 3 YEARS
- TAKE A THEORY TEST AND PRACTICAL TEST

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

Edited by KhunBENQ

Not clear in post, if car or motorbike Drivers License.

When I renewed my 5-year Driving License for car 1½ years ago, we had to attend a (quite long and boring) video (with English subtitles) about polite traffic behavior, and do the physical tests for colorblind, eyesight, and brake reaction. Took half a day. Come early morning from 8:30 for registration (best to check first, as they may do only some days a week) and dress polite (they'll not let you in if improper dressed).

However, the Transport Department may change rules from time to time, so may be little different now...

my one year temp license expired last september. went once to renew in october but was turned away for not wearing long pants.

yesterday gave it a try again - went in 11.40am armed with my work permit, passport and medical certificate.

after photocopying the relevant work permit and passport pages, the office told me follow me upstairs, where i saw around 12 thai ppl watching a video in an enclosed room. He rushed me through a colour test, peripheral vision test, reflex test and a perception test which are very easy and i had done the year before. 5mins tops for all tests.

back down paid 655 baht, took a photo, waited 5 mins for card to be printed, was asked for an extra 10 baht and was presented with a 5 year licence in a plastic pocket :)

in and out in fifteen mins tops, am still pinching myself to see if it really happened.

my one year temp license expired last september. went once to renew in october but was turned away for not wearing long pants.

yesterday gave it a try again - went in 11.40am armed with my work permit, passport and medical certificate.

after photocopying the relevant work permit and passport pages, the office told me follow me upstairs, where i saw around 12 thai ppl watching a video in an enclosed room. He rushed me through a colour test, peripheral vision test, reflex test and a perception test which are very easy and i had done the year before. 5mins tops for all tests.

back down paid 655 baht, took a photo, waited 5 mins for card to be printed, was asked for an extra 10 baht and was presented with a 5 year licence in a plastic pocket smile.png

in and out in fifteen mins tops, am still pinching myself to see if it really happened.

Woow – dream scenario – did they want a medical certificate...?

–When I was there last September, with my medical examination letter from a hospital, they did not want that – perhaps to do with if you renew 1-year temporary og a 5-year renewal...

–When I was there last September, with my medical examination letter from a hospital, they did not want that – perhaps to do with if you renew 1-year temporary og a 5-year renewal...

Indeed from the DLT website it looks like the med.cert. is only needed for temporary to 5y and not for 5y to 5y.

(the "1 year" term becomes obsolete as it is issued tor two years since March 2015).

Indeed from the DLT website it looks like the med.cert. is only needed for temporary to 5y and not for 5y to 5y.

(the "1 year" term becomes obsolete as it is issued tor two years since March 2015).

OK just got my second five year renewal... thumbsup.gif (Motor cycle licence BTW)

Arrived with letter from Immigration and photo copies, 9 am .... Told to come back 10 am, after handing in paper work...

10 am go up stairs, watch video for one hour (has English sub titles) ... then the colour test and brake test... So that I think would be the same for first timers!

No medical letter asked for!

Go down stairs and wait in next line, for processing of new licence .... photograph on licence handed to me at 11.55.... quite efficient!

Cost in all 415 baht for licence, plus 500 baht for letter from immigration.... = 915 baht....

Just be sure to arrive before 10 am ! wink.png

Oh saw one lady asked to leave because "dress" was not appropriate... however some others in shorts were permitted to stay! blink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

OK just got my second five year renewal... thumbsup.gif (Motor cycle licence BTW)

Arrived with letter from Immigration and photo copies, 9 am .... Told to come back 10 am, after handing in paper work...

10 am go up stairs, watch video for one hour (has English sub titles) ... then the colour test and brake test... So that I think would be the same for first timers!

No medical letter asked for!

Go down stairs and wait in next line, for processing of new licence .... photograph on licence handed to me at 11.55.... quite efficient!

Cost in all 415 baht for licence, plus 500 baht for letter from immigration.... = 915 baht....

Just be sure to arrive before 10 am ! wink.png

Oh saw one lady asked to leave because "dress" was not appropriate... however some others in shorts were permitted to stay! blink.png

I need to make a correction here....facepalm.gif I picked up a friend from KP this morning... did Immigration 90 day and letter confirming address, for DL ... all done before 9 am! (Do not go on Monday's !)

Then we go to Dept of Transport in Lipa Noi, all ready to go with paper work and photocopies ! .......

BUT with first time DL one not only needs a medical letter.... but Licences can only be done, Monday Wednesday and Fridays....

Also, if one has an International Drivers Permit, or home country DL apparently the video does not need to be watched.... but colour test and brake reaction test has to be done! I will find out tomorrow what time that happens!

He was told to come back tomorrow (Friday) at 8.30 am sad.png

Just to add for those on KP the Lomprayah ferry arrives Nathon about 8 am, and the first to leave back Nathon is 11.15 am ... this would be a squeeze for time!

Just to update again! .... for first time licence you do not have to watch the hour long "safety video" !

But you do need the medical cert... You do not for 5 year renewal, seems one has a year to update... that could depend on the clerk one gets (?)

One heads upstairs to do the colour and reaction tests... all done by about 11 am (probably depends on how many people)

If one wants a motorbike and car/truck licence, you just need to ask.... You are issued the two one year licences at same time, for just a few baht more.... I think my friend said 360 baht.... wink.png

Plus all the other stuff!

Edited by samuijimmy

if you come one day after the 5 year one expires, you get 6 years minus 1 day. If you come 2 days after expiration, you will get 6 minus 2 days etc etc etc. That can be done 1 year after expiration. Of course the old one is not valid for driving any more after expiration. No letter of immigration necessary, btw, if you have a working permit.