NCPO orders media to discuss charter 'respectfully'

webfact

Junta Orders Media to Discuss Charter 'Respectfully'
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14544024681454402501l.jpg
Junta chairman Prayuth Chan-ocha speaks to reporters Tuesday at Government House in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Yes, criticism of the new constitution drafted under the junta’s oversight is allowed in the media, a junta spokesman confirmed today, so long as it is “respectful.”

Such criticism must only use respectful language and avoid causing hatred in society or “damage the ongoing decent atmosphere,” spokesman Winthai Suvaree said amid growing criticism of proposed charter by human rights activists and academics.

“The NCPO never prohibits criticism or expression of opinion,” Col. Winthai said, referring to the formal name of the ruling junta, the National Council for Peace and Order. “But expression of opinion by certain groups and individuals contains unnaturally strong language and manner, which does not appear to be constructive.”

Winthai drew a distinction between critics of the proposed charter, which was released Friday.

“Sometimes, they seem to be intent on inciting hatred or conflict, which will damage the ongoing decent atmosphere,” he said. “We want all expression of opinions to be within appropriate boundaries. Use of words should be in a respectful manner.”

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454402468

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-02

Were I running a newspaper or periodical, I think I might just print absolutely nothing on the subject, explaining to my readership that it would be far too easy to fall dangerously foul of the authorities if editorial policy is not to praise the charter to the skies and leave it at that.

It is possible to be noisy and silent at the same time - Soviet citizens would protest by simply ignoring the government, and authoritarians simply hate that...

The "government" has taken up "respectful" negotiations with Google, Facebook, Line etc. = Impose "self-censorship" including a special "Thailand-Filter", or else.......... !

The original Farang congregation, welcoming "the change" at the time, has shrunk. In the meantime, they could hold their gatherings in a Phone-Booth. Good! They must have seen the light by now.

Cheers.

I would 'respectfully' remind the junta that, in remaining a member of the UN, it has binding obligations to comply with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and various other UN agreements to which it is a signatory, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. I would ask the junta to consider the idea that 'respect' may need to be earned rather than required.

I would 'respectfully' remind the junta that, in remaining a member of the UN, it has binding obligations to comply with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and various other UN agreements to which it is a signatory, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. I would ask the junta to consider the idea that 'respect' may need to be earned rather than required.

Respect does not need to be earned, these are the "born to rule" - they consider respect to be their birthright.

Every time I see a picture of Prayuth in his traditional Thai shirt with the gold pin/medallion, I can't help but think of the uniforms worn by members of the Star ship Enterprise under the command of Jean-Luc Picard. If only he would tap the pin and say 'beam me up Scotty'!

Every time I see a picture of Prayuth in his traditional Thai shirt with the gold pin/medallion, I can't help but think of the uniforms worn by members of the Star ship Enterprise under the command of Jean-Luc Picard. If only he would tap the pin and say 'beam me up Scotty'!

But in this case it would be "beam me up Suthepy" right where the sun doesnt shine.

So saying this constitution is rubbish is not being constructive or positive right ?

Calling a spade a spade is therefore not permitted.

Might as well have no vote, after all, only constructive and positive criticism is allowed, pointing out the flaws of this constitution and why it needs to be rejected outright is not going to be possible.

According to the prachatai.org article

All members of the military will promote "correct understanding" of the Charter.

From this it follows logically that

All members of the military will be correct.

Any contradictory statements will be incorrect.

Incorrect statements are not permitted and may be punished.

I wonder if there is anybody left in the Thai media who is not yet totally cowed. We'll find out soon enough.

With the greatest of respect, I have not, nor ever will drink the "kool aid".

they came first for the Communists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist; And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist; And then they came for the Jews, And I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew; And then . . . they came for me . . .