Taina road, Kata

KarenBravo

Thanks.

A Makro eh? Doubt if there is that many people in Kata - Karon to support it.

I assume Makro have made a study and think it's viable. Good for us, saves going to Rawai Makro. Although traffice is going to be a nightmare given PTT opposite and SuperCheap next dor.

Hotels in the area are already wanting this to open asap. Hotels can order over the phone or even via Line app and go pick up their order with no fuss.

Previously the hotels had no choice but order from suppliers at extortionate prices.

This makro will do really well

Edited by sebastion

• 1 month later...

The Kata Makro opened today ... and I am not impressed. Very small front car park. I was waved down the side road only to be ushered out the back gate onto Tania Road and told to park way down the road. I drove back up to the lights and tried again and just by luck saw a car going away and nipped into the spot.

They have 2 guys working the main road to let cars in and out ... those 2 guys were really working for their money and doing a very good job.

The store is very small inside, more than half for frozen and fresh goods. About a quarter for dry goods. I was buying bottled water which is usually located on the floor between aisles in most Makros. But here it's on a small shelf space. I was looking for tinned goods ... nothing. Also lookig for potato chips ... nothing except for a few small stacker tins at the check-outs.

Not impressed ... a big disappointment for me.

Edited by LivinginKata

On the "Drive Through" thread things started to get tracked toward the Kata-Karon area issues, so I figured I'd respond here instead of there.

I'm with KB in that years ago, 90's early 2000's, Taina Rd. was a happening place, good bars, live music. I used to play pool at an upstairs place called Black Cat that had some pretty (and fun) women. Across the street was this bloke, Nigel I think his name was, served good beers, funny guy, the Thai wife funny too. Wander later down to the biker bar which usually had a good band.

LIK, saw your Makro from the outside, looks like a red, bloated Family Mart.

What happened to Taina? Is it because there is no real sidewalk, dangerous to walk? Why back then was it happening and now, dilapidated? Was there a big rent increase everywhere?

<snip>

What happened to Taina? Is it because there is no real sidewalk, dangerous to walk? Why back then was it happening and now, dilapidated? Was there a big rent increase everywhere?

My guess is that 'the action' moved to the road between Karon and Kata beaches and on past Club Med.

Also the newer road from the market to Club Med has been built up, but was slow to attract businesses .... now it's all open.

Back in my early days Tiana Road was thriving with not much other businesses. It's called the price of Kata development.

I like the new Makro, maybe because it's local. After the first day the traffic situation reverted to the way it should be and it's fine. They do have most items that we need, and that includes tinned goods which are found above the freezers, it's just a case of locating everything.