Which airport? Rent car drive to Hua Hin.

jobin

Will be flying from CM to Bangkok, renting a car at the airport then driving to HH. Days later return car. But one of us will fly on directly to Hong Kong, the other to CM.

Which airport DMK or BKK, best serves the need? Probably the driving through Bangkok a big factor, and possible wait time and convenience for HK flight.

If money is not an issue, I'd take a taxi to HH, and rent a car there. As you say, dealing with the traffic from the airport to HH can be daunting. I've driven in Bangkok many times. And avoid it at all costs.

Agree. But if you must rent a car in Bangkok, then avoid DMK - absolute disaster getting a rental car back there. If you do use BKK then get a map and ensure you know exactly where to return the car and how to get there.

As its likely one of your departing flights to HK will be from Suvarnabhumi Airport that would be the most convenient.

Driving from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Hua Hin is also very convenient - The southern part of the Outer-Ring-Road circumnavigates central Bangkok.

As another poster has mentioned - Google Maps on a Smart Phone will make this journey trouble free.

Route Link Here:

The poster above mentioned flying CM direct to Hua Hin - I think Kan air may have flights - Booking a return Taxi to BKK may then be the option unless you also need the car in Hua Hin to get around.