Pai in Pictures

camble

Pai (Population about 3,000) is a small town about 80 km north of Chiang Mai, as the crow flies, and about 140 km when you ride the snake, on the Banana Pancake Trail to Mae Hon Son. The journey takes about 3 hours by minibus because of the 762 curves in the road. Bring your air sickness bag, the Chinese woman sitting next to me was throwing-up all the way. We passed a spot where a motorbike rider had just gotten nailed by an SUV, and our driver stopped to lend assistance until the ambulance arrived. I visited in springtime, not the best time of year as everything was gray and smoggy. For a future visit, I'd like to bring my motorcycle on the train from Bangkok. It's not the road to Hana, but still quite scenic.

24817621316_e93f4cc6ba_b.jpg

24750419911_93f3746a29_b.jpg

24817610056_bb7cfc8737_b.jpg

24476333559_e6f3907740_b.jpg

24726001202_b960f60d10_b.jpg

24548455720_d4c7c9a13f_b.jpg

There aren't many attractions in Pai, just a few waterfalls and hot springs outside town. So why go there? It's all about the vibe: serene, tranquil, relaxed.

24215742194_17d2548114_b.jpg

24215767074_86c5357a8c_b.jpg

24215764804_012c26c8be_b.jpg

24750474131_fe454b24ef_b.jpg

24217078613_db2f68e557_b.jpg

24548425080_a1a881bf81_b.jpg

24750459721_6e6cd960dc_b.jpg

24750458311_c8d1c2e6fb_b.jpg

24548407370_53c97b4658_b.jpg

24264059335_6e3cdfd659_b.jpg

24215732524_59a01bb42f_b.jpg

24548389740_e214faf3da_b.jpg

24817614226_e08c780b9f_b.jpg

I rented a bamboo hut along the river for 400 baht. Temps were hot during the day but dropped to 18 degrees at night.

24215740474_ec7139d4ba_b.jpg

24726078882_dd61c4ac24_b.jpg

24548452850_8a7480c6de_b.jpg

24750487811_614bcd2fa3_b.jpg

24750484351_cef109a49e_b.jpg

24726026672_2b1b1fc87c_b.jpg

24843888965_c601b681da_b.jpg

The main street in town is called Walking Street, but there are no GoGo bars, only teenyboppers.

24217074023_50ed674eda_b.jpg

24817629556_bc96f2ff86_b.jpg

24817651656_d242f9c431_b.jpg

24843927795_642f8d1c4f_b.jpg

24817634816_e7da89bcab_b.jpg

24217036733_777080e9bc_b.jpg

24548380640_2279797c2f_b.jpg

Edited by camble

Wow, haven't been there for four years. Looks like full-on commercialization has really hit. I knew then that people were all trying to hop on the Pai bandwagon ("Pai is love," "It's got that special vibe") and cash in on something that is pretty much contrived.

You should post some pics of the waterfall. I imagine that it's crawling with tourists feeling the "vibe" of over-tourism.

"Banana Pancake Trail"? I don't get it.

It's "not the road to Hana"? If you mean Maui, Hawaii, sure, it's missing the ocean.

Wow, haven't been there for four years. Looks like full-on commercialization has really hit. I knew then that people were all trying to hop on the Pai bandwagon ("Pai is love," "It's got that special vibe") and cash in on something that is pretty much contrived.

You should post some pics of the waterfall. I imagine that it's crawling with tourists feeling the "vibe" of over-tourism.

It's "not the road to Hana"? If you mean Maui, Hawaii, sure, it's missing the ocean.

Banana pancake trail = wherever you can find the great unwashed backpacker congratulating themselves on how awesome their miserable contribution to the tourist economy is. It's because they exist on banana pancakes whilst travelling S E Asia.

I have a friend who lives up there. He tells me after a while it is very boring. How ever he says

there are more people living in villages in the hills than in Pai.

Need motor bike to get to some and in the rainyseason a 4 wheel drive.

He tells me that you will see a real part of Thailand that most never see. One time when he was

visiting a women was bitten by a snake and the Witch Doctor performed his routine for a while.

They then took her in to Pai.

Edited by northernjohn

Wow, haven't been there for four years. Looks like full-on commercialization has really hit.

Uh, "full-on commercialization" occurred many years ago. There has been relatively little change over the past decade or more apart from the increase in Chinese visitors.

Wow, haven't been there for four years. Looks like full-on commercialization has really hit.

Uh, "full-on commercialization" occurred many years ago. There has been relatively little change over the past decade or more apart from the increase in Chinese visitors.

Not really. when I first visited Thailand 10 years ago they only had one 7/11 now they have 5 of them.

It has changed a lot.

Not really. when I first visited Thailand 10 years ago they only had one 7/11 now they have 5 of them.

It has changed a lot.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.. Well done. :)

Either way, Johpa is completely right of course and he should know, his first visit was probably 30 years ago. (Mine about 20)

Yes it's been gradually turning into a bit of a tourist town for the past quarter century or so. Which is fine because it's a beautiful area and people need to stay somewhere.

It's also peculiar, because there are at least a dozen other small district towns in the North that are equally scenic, yet everyone goes to Pai.

That people do this is BECAUSE they like what's going on there. Try getting fresh croissants in the morning or herbs in the evening with a cool band playing in Phrao or Samoeng.

Don't like that and want Pai 30 years ago? Great: throw a dart on the map of Northern Thailand.

It's a great example of how 'tourism' and by extension tourist infrastructure and services are indeed a great reason for tourists to visit. Even when tourists themselves will vehemently denie it. Heck, 15 years ago it was even popular to vehemently denie being a tourist at all. (I'm a traveler, dude)

Pai is the same because the constant change has been the same. Other places are the same because they actually are the same. (Someone kick me if I go into Orang territory here. ;) )

BTW,I do a similar argument for the islands, and for Pattaya. Ask me sometime.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• 4 months later...

sad.png

It has changed a lot.

I can't tell if you're joking or not.. Well done. smile.png

Either way, Johpa is completely right of course and he should know, his first visit was probably 30 years ago. (Mine about 20)

Yes it's been gradually turning into a bit of a tourist town for the past quarter century or so. Which is fine because it's a beautiful area and people need to stay somewhere.

It's also peculiar, because there are at least a dozen other small district towns in the North that are equally scenic, yet everyone goes to Pai.

That people do this is BECAUSE they like what's going on there. Try getting fresh croissants in the morning or herbs in the evening with a cool band playing in Phrao or Samoeng.

Don't like that and want Pai 30 years ago? Great: throw a dart on the map of Northern Thailand.

It's a great example of how 'tourism' and by extension tourist infrastructure and services are indeed a great reason for tourists to visit. Even when tourists themselves will vehemently denie it. Heck, 15 years ago it was even popular to vehemently denie being a tourist at all. (I'm a traveler, dude)

Pai is the same because the constant change has been the same. Other places are the same because they actually are the same. (Someone kick me if I go into Orang territory here. wink.png )

BTW,I do a similar argument for the islands, and for Pattaya. Ask me sometime.

People are funny about what they want. People say Don Det is too commercialized now as well. I tell them if they go around 1 kilometer any direction from the island they can get the frozen in time museum effect they seem to desire. Nobody does this because the wouldn't last a day with out people caring for them. There are a few

As for as 7/11 goes what do these hurt? I bet the people complaining about them have bought stuff from them and probably at more than one location. The last time I went to Phrao years ago, there was a new 7/11 in town and I can assure you it was a welcome sight to me. But for some this means the entire town of Phrao is destroyed.

Some people would like the locals to live in huts with no electricity just so they can come take pictures and post on facebook about how backwards it is and how simply the people live. Then they go back to their flats in the west with their fiber optics and lattes and cry when they get low download speeds.

Banana pancake trail = wherever you can find the great unwashed backpacker congratulating themselves on how awesome their miserable contribution to the tourist economy is. It's because they exist on banana pancakes whilst travelling S E Asia.

well,...I'm sorry to disappoint you but the Bangkok Post did a survey and a following article years ago, (At the time Thaksin Shinawatra wanted quality ("rich") tourists) ... About backpackers been the best tourists for the economy. Most are not rich but they spend money in small guest houses, little shops, restaurants, buses, and other forms of transport.. etc.....and the money is used by those small businesses for there daily life.....they learn things, make friends for life, go home with beautiful travel story's, tell friends, and are sure to come back....As for the other tourists, ? they book everything in there respectively country's.... and the money stays abroad and is reinvested in other country's, but only a small portion is spend in Thailand as such.....most of those tourists eat and have dinner at there Internationally company owed hotels and dear not eat outside. They only go on tours that are included in the package and were payed in advance.....come back home with story's of ripoff's, theft's etc....

Conclusion !!! the Banana Pancake tourist were the best for the country's economy !,...this suited me very well, as I was one of them ! and 30 years later, I couldn't be more happy I traveled this way.....!..I saw Pai, Koh Samui, Ankor Wat, Hanoi, Hoi an, Hue, and a incredible list of more places.. 30 years ago, like nobody will see it again !!! ever !!!

Best regards, Off Road Pat

Edited by off road pat

Fabulous photos, Camble! Love the humour in the photos too.

Re change and "Who moved my cheese?", it's always disappointing to go back to a place where you have fond memories. I try not to do this or try and accept that change is part of life. In any case, this is part of ageing, surely?

Many people told me that Batu Ferrighi in Penang was 'spoilt', but I had nothing to compare it to, so I rather enjoyed my stay there. I took it for what it was and I needed the pampering after 7 weeks backpacking. Not everyone looks for the same things, right?

Another example, everyone I met on the Amalfi coastal trail in Italy told me Sorrento was 'boring and very 'touristy'. I went off into the surrounding countryside hunting Roman villas, and it wasn't difficult to notice that the majority of tourists bypassed the fantastic murals inside open doorways and on public ceilings - just because they were all marching towards the 'tourist areas'. And then they complain! Open your eyes and look beyond!

Very nice photos. In fact, excellent.

Have never been able to get anyone in my family interested in going there. "Road too dangerous...won't go..."

You really care, what your Thai family says?

Usually, they do not know much from something more far away, then their provincial capital. tongue.pngrolleyes.gif

Dangerous roads? Give them these to look at. wink.png

Solution, check it out alone. thumbsup.gif

stelvio_pass.jpg2cfb53c3099100c8bc53c917b4c327b7.jpgstelvio6.jpgKLwqE7X.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

Thank you for the nice report and detailed pictures of Pai Camble. Much appreciated, as I haven't been to Pai on close to 4 years myself.

Though I did first visit there 1994, and many times when I lived in Chiang Mai - I have T shirts here in Northern Canada from both the Nest and the Yellow Sun Bar. By motorbike, traveling steady it was by my norm a pretty short ride, to visit friends, chill, explore the area, or maybe a little romantic getaway. Pai uniqueness in my humble opinion hasn't changed much over the years, things in the town have changed of course. At any time I could meet and listen to a traveler from who knows where tell me of their travel experiences. Been to many touristy places, and Pai is tops as the friendliest bundle of travelers maybe found anywhere. The lack of substantial things to do, plus no beach, helps with that. Been a couple of times to Vieng Vang and once to Goa for example, and found that with the distractions of partying and beaches the so called backpack crowd is highly distracted. Bring a great attitude to Pai and you will have a great time.

Nice images. I'm one of the 90s crowd and it was sublime back then but I also like to see a bit of change and growth... more choice, better standards and competition keeps prices low for one thing. I was going to invest and do the guesthouse thing there, but went in another direction, which is daft in hindsight going by the price of land there now. I urge the chap above to just pack your bags and go (by yourself if necessary). Don't listen to your family; it's still laidback and part of the allure is getting there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

What's with the watermark? Do you really think anyone would steal your photos for other use? And even if someone did, they could crop it out easily. 

Pai is hugely overrated. 

But here's a pic to stay on topic (yes, it's a giant ant thing pulling a dead toad. Sort of sums up the whole tourist trap thing.):

Ant pulling toad small Pai.JPG

On 07/02/2016 at 9:06 AM, TheSiemReaper said:

I always thought "The Khao San Road of the North" had a nice ring to it.

Nicely done photos, though. Interestingly, many of them do not look even remotely northern Thai.

Well thanks for your valuable contribution, Trugillo!  Obviously I can't stop anyone from copying photos, just want to know where they were copied from. 

Sure, Pai is overridden with packpackers.  They're just young people enjoying life on a budget and they can get a dorm room with Wifi for 160 and rent a bicycle.  Even Trugillo can afford it.

32495926664_c849d6c763_o.jpg

32495923434_fb01e33a14_o.jpg

33210713201_50c304d65e_o.jpg

33210714661_8833234cd2_o.jpg

32495922294_b3c5213c62_o.jpg

32495925574_48996fc510_o.jpg

32495927614_885a94014a_o.jpg

Lots of healthy places to eat, bean burgers and homemade lasagna, I opted for a few passion fruit daiquiris at the Witching Well.  Cheers!

33210716111_54b7edac75_o.jpg

33210712361_e7480935e8_o.jpg

33210711481_fa031307e4_o.jpg

32495924394_a98044a96a_o.jpg