How to avoid boredom during your retirement in Paradise?

jpinx

Is thailand really cheap? I rent my condo out in bangkok for probably only 25% cheaper than for what I would ask in a similar location in the West. Sure it's a saving for the renters but it's not "amazing" happy hour beers are OK but after that your paying they same price as in the West and it's a small glass and it's shit beer, how can you compare Chang to your favorite beer back home and if you want it here you have to pay double . Food is rubbish with unidentifiable slivers of meat on your rice, msg, loads of sugar in everything

All the best stuff,real beef, wine cheese is silly prices.

IMO if it wasn't for the cheap gash most of us would move on pretty quickly

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I've thought exactly this for a long time now.

When you pro rata the cost of everyday items to the average daily wage for a Thai compared to an average westerner, it's insanely expensive.

Try doing a more realistic comparison. Food prices for western food in Thailand are high - how high is the price of Thai food in your home country in the west? And how much for a Chang in a bar near your western home?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try doing a more realistic comparison. Food prices for western food in Thailand are high - how high is the price of Thai food in your home country in the west? And how much for a Chang in a bar near your western home?

"All the best stuff,real beef, wine cheese is silly prices".

Says it all really, you clearly don't understand where you are and how the vast majority of people here live.

I agree with CM,

My Australian Mainland Vintage Cheddar is $30AU/Kg in ChiangMai, $15AU/Kg in Brisbane.

Hardly silly prices. I just eat a bit less of that and a bit more of something else.

Lots of more exotic foods are half the price of Australia or the UK.

Not to mention I couldn't afford to eat out, every day, in either of those countries, and I can here.

As for most other western foods, dead cheap if you cook it at home yourself.

Pies, tarts, cakes, biscuits, bread ..... cost almost nothing to make yourself.

Just finished off some custard tarts I made last night, less than 2bht each to make.

I'm retired, I have plenty of free time to cook for myself.

Which brought us back to the OP ...... 'How to avoid boredom during your retirement in Paradise'

What I just ate ......... cost around 20bht for the lot, and I made the raspberry jam myself too!

post-233622-0-22646600-1455363319_thumb.

Please, why do some consider the Government is "interfering", especially as it relates to buying alcohol? It isn't alcohol per se but the quantity! if you buy in reasonable quantity you can buy anytime from just about anywhere. And even if you couldn't, you could just do a little planning and buy in advance.

And even if you couldn't do that, you don't have to go far to buy a can of beer at any time from those little stores where the timing law is ignored.

Regarding other "interferences": I have experienced zero (including two military coups) in more than 13 years of living in various areas of Thailand.

Before I came to live in Thailand there were three determining factors that I needed to satisfy myself with that could be met for the remainder of my life: the climate, cost of living and, most importantly, the people. After 13 years, I remain satisfied and broadly speaking fulfilled.

I am never bored. Being happy or bored is state of mind, not of situation.

If the law regarding alcohol sales is not restrictive, as you say, why did they implement it in the first place ?

If somebody wants to buy, say, 3 large beers from Tesco at 2.15pm, why should he be forced to buy 2 cases if he wants to make a purchase ?

I haven't said it isn't restrictive - it is, but on the amount. I could say why not go to Tesco at 1.55pm but I realise in real life it is not always convenient but to my mind, if I can't buy a beer between 2 and 5 then I will wait, I am not that desperate. If I feel only mild irritation I cannot consider the law as 'interfering". I have no important opinion on whether the law is justified mainly because I am virtually unaffected. And yes, I DO drink alcohol - not to the point of being angry because I can't buy it just when I want to. Look, let us be reasonable - my points already mentioned show there is very little hardship for us to worry about!

My point is, why not get rid of the silly 2.00pm - 5.00pm law ?

It in no way affects me, in fact, it probably does not affect many people at all. So why implement it in the first place ?

Are all the laws in your own home country, considered to be reasonable, and/or comprehensible to you? If your answer is an affirmative, then please tell me the name of that country, assuming its located on this planet. coffee1.gif

"All the best stuff,real beef, wine cheese is silly prices".

Says it all really, you clearly don't understand where you are and how the vast majority of people here live.

I agree with CM,

My Australian Mainland Vintage Cheddar is $30AU/Kg in ChiangMai, $15AU/Kg in Brisbane.

Hardly silly prices. I just eat a bit less of that and a bit more of something else.

Lots of more exotic foods are half the price of Australia or the UK.

Not to mention I couldn't afford to eat out, every day, in either of those countries, and I can here.

As for most other western foods, dead cheap if you cook it at home yourself.

Pies, tarts, cakes, biscuits, bread ..... cost almost nothing to make yourself.

Just finished off some custard tarts I made last night, less than 2bht each to make.

I'm retired, I have plenty of free time to cook for myself.

Which brought us back to the OP ...... 'How to avoid boredom during your retirement in Paradise'

What I just ate ......... cost around 20bht for the lot, and I made the raspberry jam myself too!

attachicon.giftarts.jpg

I'll change the title of this thread just for you.... "How to avoid a barrel-belly during your retirement in Paradise?" :)

Archived