How to avoid boredom during your retirement in Paradise?

jpinx

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't drink, don't' smoke dont chase women and live alone ??? are you sure your normal ???

Somehow I don't think so for Thailand. ( in the Philippines you would Definitely be described as ABnormal!! their term for guys like you describe).

No wonder you are bored, Start drinking, get a Thai girlfriend, and start enjoying life !!

If you do not speak Thai, I would start with even just 30 minutes a day - it will enhance everything else that you do here...

So much to do, not enough hours in the day - - plenty on internet, movies, music, netflix, sports - skype with friends - - get into a walking habit to keep you moving - I probably kill an hour every few days taking my nap at the foot massage place in our local temple - kindle for reading whatever I want... 1 hour coffee stops with friends - plenty of family activities... find some new hobbies - helping others is always rewarding...

Do you mean 30 minute Thai language lessons? Can you point me in the right direction for the method you use?

That's strange, a bee turned up here in the UK saying he had done a visa run, then got asked for a bribe at the border, couldn't pay so got sent back. He said his name is Dave but didn't have any ID to prove this. Maybe he is an illegal immigrant trying to get refuge with all the others in Europe. I told him to go to France and he would get some help from the English there.

I keep bees, but I only have 3 at the moment, hoping to catch some more this week.

Do you have one called Dave? I've lost one.

Yes Dave is with me now and he says he has never been happier.

Mixing/Mastering music for artist's round the world :-) (have a small studio).

I plan to retire in Thailand in a couple years. I wish to meet some fellow farang or thai musicians to play rock n roll. I hope I will find some when I get there. You never bore when playing music, with friends or on your own, practice on your instrument.

My main focus since moving here 30 months ago has been to try to get into some semblance of fitness by my 60th birthday. I arrived at 110kg and partied up to 115kg. After a series of 10-14 day hardcore, low (20gram) carb diets and a steady increase in gym workouts, in have managed to get to 90kg. The gym started at maybe 30 mins a couple of times a week of low stress weight machine workouts. Now I generally do 3-3.5 hours 5-6 days a week of high stress cardio and weight machines.

It is easier to keep low carb by avoiding restaurants so most days I go grocery shopping and my own cooking. I refuse to get a vehicle until I reach 80 kg so I do a lot of walking. Started to do a few widths in the pool after gym for the endurance.

I need a 1-2 hour oil massage most days I go to the gym to loosen my back. The live-in is away so I need to go scouting for some fun 2-3 nights a week and all this makes for a pretty full, time of my life.

Write, go the gym, swim a mile, eat lunch, take a nap, fast walk the beach, fool around in the music studio, have a cocktail, eat dinner, maybe go out and get loaded, bang the TG, sleep.

I'm very very busy doing nothing. I have no idea how I ever had the time to have a job.

I can't believe how much fun my LOS retirement is. I never want this to end. I suppose I'll eventually have to die, damn it. The last 5 years have been the most rewarding of my life.

Mixing/Mastering music for artist's round the world :-) (have a small studio).

I plan to retire in Thailand in a couple years. I wish to meet some fellow farang or thai musicians to play rock n roll. I hope I will find some when I get there. You never bore when playing music, with friends or on your own, practice on your instrument.

Sad I don't play anymore, only twist the knobs, nowadays :-( But I have fun for sure!

Well I don't know in which city will you retire. I stay in and this is what I do.

Sleep around 2 to 3 AM. Wake up around 10 AM, have breakfast, go for a swim for an hour, then have my lunch and rest a while and then head to the gym for 2 to 3 hours, and then play table tennis for an hour.

Then have something and rest for couple of hours and watch TV or read a book. Later meet friends and have dinner together and later go for a walk or just go to a bar and have a drink and play billiard. Sometimes we go for a movie.

So the entire day will be filled with good activities. The worse thing you can do is to just end up in the bar and keep of drinking.

The reason I choose Pattaya is because it is easily to move around, have many people from my country, have many different sport activities, the city never sleep and you can get anything you like all the day round.

Why are they in Los if they aren't drinking and chasing birds

Because the climate is enjoyable, the cost of living inexpensive, the people are very pleasant, there's lots of things to do and interesting sites to see, the medical care is good, the food is excellent, there's very little direct taxation, loads of interesting places are within easy rich of an inexpensive ticket, there's very little government interference in my daily life, I don't feel regulated in any meaningful way, should I go on or is that enough.

What do retired folks do? That means the normal folks who don't drink, smoke or chase girls and are happy living alone. wink.png

They dedicate their time to Thai visa telling others what fabulous lives they lead in this paradise of a country.

Often the reality is in stark contrast to what they post,bemoaning the visa process,dangerous roads and a disdain for older men having sex with young girls.

Incidentally some play Bridge and eat 35 baht noodle soup while others live in sprawling homes in the arse end of nowhere,curtain twitchers are also known to reside here.

Others prefer to take on the the role of immigration officers going over the same mundane questions in and out like its a badge of honour knowing Thai visa immigration rules,I've been known to get sucked into that also through sheer boredom.

Some like to discuss the cheapest means of getting around Jomtien and Pattaya all the while secretly wishing things could just be like home by hoping on the air con bus or trolley,metro.

Some are literally stuck here,living in a world of absolute hatred,not eating Thai food not speaking the language all the while tolerating the people that they have chosen to live around.

Then there are those that are really happy,but you won't find them on Thai visa forum as they are far to busy enjoying life to be sat on here all day.

So according to your own post you are also not happy. Which category of them you belong to?

Well I don't know in which city will you retire. I stay in and this is what I do.

Sleep around 2 to 3 AM. Wake up around 10 AM, have breakfast, go for a swim for an hour, then have my lunch and rest a while and then head to the gym for 2 to 3 hours, and then play table tennis for an hour.

Then have something and rest for couple of hours and watch TV or read a book. Later meet friends and have dinner together and later go for a walk or just go to a bar and have a drink and play billiard. Sometimes we go for a movie.

So the entire day will be filled with good activities. The worse thing you can do is to just end up in the bar and keep of drinking.

The reason I choose Pattaya is because it is easily to move around, have many people from my country, have many different sport activities, the city never sleep and you can get anything you like all the day round.

So actually you spend most of the day in bed.

there's very little government interference in my daily life, I don't feel regulated in any meaningful way, should I go on or is that enough.

There's way more government interference in my life in Thailand.

90 day report, VISA extensions with the possibility of home visits, can't work, carry passport (or not), etc.

I didn't have any of that in the UK. And the medical services were free.

And,

When was the last time I drove through a police or army checkpoint in the UK ...... never!

And,

I could play bridge or dominoes without fear of arrest and imprisonment.

And,

I could say anything i liked about the government (etc.), and like any posts on facebook without worry.

And,

I could buy a house and land in my own name.

And,

Buy a bottle of beer in my local shop anytime I wanted (that it was open).

No government interference with your life in Thailand?

Are you sure?

there's very little government interference in my daily life, I don't feel regulated in any meaningful way, should I go on or is that enough.

90 day report, VISA extensions with the possibility of home visits, can't work, carry passport (or not), etc.

And,

When was the last time I drove through a police or army checkpoint in the UK ...... never!

And,

And,

I could say anything i liked about the government (etc.), and like any posts on facebook without worry.

And,

And,

Are you sure?

And you couldn't get laid there. I think this is the elephant in the room [emoji1]

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

And,

And,

And,

And,

And,

Are you sure?

Don't know how you can stand it, perhaps venting on TV helps.

And you couldn't get laid there. I think this is the elephant in the room [emoji1]

No, I could get laid in the UK, it was just a bit too risky.

Last English girl I slept with was 23 ..... about a month before I left for Thailand.

But a bit too chubby, and my former wife's best friends daughter.

(I remember my son complaining ....."Dad you can't sleep with her, she was in my class at school")

What do retired folks do? That means the normal folks who don't drink, smoke or chase girls and are happy living alone. ;)

They dedicate their time to Thai visa telling others what fabulous lives they lead in this paradise of a country.

Often the reality is in stark contrast to what they post,bemoaning the visa process,dangerous roads and a disdain for older men having sex with young girls.

Incidentally some play Bridge and eat 35 baht noodle soup while others live in sprawling homes in the arse end of nowhere,curtain twitchers are also known to reside here.

Others prefer to take on the the role of immigration officers going over the same mundane questions in and out like its a badge of honour knowing Thai visa immigration rules,I've been known to get sucked into that also through sheer boredom.

Some like to discuss the cheapest means of getting around Jomtien and Pattaya all the while secretly wishing things could just be like home by hoping on the air con bus or trolley,metro.

Some are literally stuck here,living in a world of absolute hatred,not eating Thai food not speaking the language all the while tolerating the people that they have chosen to live around.

Then there are those that are really happy,but you won't find them on Thai visa forum as they are far to busy enjoying life to be sat on here all day.

Haha... good one. Haven't had a laugh at 3.00am for ages.

Me... I trawl through TV member posts looking for something with a positive attitude.

When I find something positive I 'like' it. I've done that 3 times now.

I go annoy the crap out of the MIL.

Rub my eyes or go for a pee after chopping up chillies.

Jump on FB and send friend requests to the hot looking friends of friends.

Make a tinfoil hat and wear it around the village.

Jam potatoes up peoples exhaust pipes. (cars, not bums)

Have multiple profiles on Forums... start flaming myself and see how far I can go before getting a warning.

Plenty of things to keep me sane.

When I first came to Thailand I had visions of living in paradise, being regularly invited to wild parties and young women throwing themselves at me begging for my attentions. But sadly none of that came off and now I`ve knuckled down to being a house husband and doing the same old boring stuff I was doing in England.

I think a lot of it is down to money. Thailand is not as cheap as it used to be, just don`t seem to have enough to pursue all that I`d like to really live it up, not even on occasions.

1 hour cycling,

Coffee and croissant in my local internet cafe with my pals (1 hour),

Lunch with my pals (1 hour)

1 hour cycling,

afternoon nap (2 hours)

Bit of reading, posting on forums, watching a movie or TV series (2 hours).

Bake bread, pies or cakes (1 hour)

That's 9 hours ...... the rest of my day I just waste with my family.

You have this same routine every single day and don't get bored?

How to avoid boredom? Yeehs! for me the question is more like "How to avoid Burnout During Your Retirement in Paradise". Here in Chiang Mai there is simply "too much" for retirees to do with their time if they're not careful with their scheduling.

I suppose if you've ended up in a village where you're the only foreigner, then there won't be much to keep you involved. But I've got to believe, that had I found myself in those circumstances, I would have buckled down and really learned Thai, plus the local dialect, gotten involved in the local ladies aid association at the wat and would have had the village doing once-a-week "lets pick up the trash around the village and plant some flowers"

I'm a firm believer that if life has given you lemon you should make lemon aid and if you don't know how to make lemon aid, you shouldn't whine about that shortcoming, but rather either learn to use Google or ask someone to assist.

Archived