Bamboo

pomchop

So i want to plant some nice fast growing tall bamboo along a wall to block out the view of a new building going up that i find ugly....never had any idea that there are so many different kinds here in Thailand

I wanted the kind with the nice yellow looking stalks but it appears they are not so fond of full sun. Seems maybe the best bet is just common bamboo? this one Bambusa vulgaris — ไผ่หลวง (phai luang), ไผ่เขียว (phai khiao) — Common Bamboo

Question is will this eventually be clumping so much that it will crack or knock down my cinderblock wall? Or will it just grow out into the open/unimpeded space away from the wall?

http://thai-bamboo.blogspot.com/p/bamboo-species.html

I think as long as you are willing to stay on top of the situation and remove shoots heading in the wrong direction you should be okay. Personally I like to remove the lower branches to keep things looking a little more orderly. Don't forget you will get a huge amount of leaves when they fall.

Sky%252520and%252520Bamboo%252520%252520

The next door neighbours had a bamboo growing about a metre from our fence. When we built it was about a year old. It grew very quickly and when wind blew it was very messy. We received most of the rubbish from it. The branches were over hanging our yard. It attracted a lot of ants. They eventually cut it down thank goodness. We helped them. So be aware the bamboo may block the view of the building but you may have other problems.I do not know what type is was.

Bamboo is a noxious weed in many parts of the world, it's invasive and difficult to eradicate.

Having said that, growing it as a commercial crop for shoots keeps it under control.

Watering it through the dry season brings the shoots on early and top price is paid by buyers.

We have several clumps that hardly dare to pop a shoot up.

You're probably looking for a "clumping" variety of bamboo. That's also known as "non-invasive". Some varieties send out long runners under the soil and then send up new shoots from that. They are very invasive and can spread quickly.

I have no idea how to find a non-invasive variety in Thailand but I do know they exist.

Cheers.

Fortunately the area where i will plant the bamboo is well away from my house and is actually between the wall and a klong so not a big problem re ants or droppings as there is an incline of the bank it should lean away from my wall..or so i hope. I am pretty sure the common bamboo is clumping rather than running.

My biggest concern is it cracking or knocking down my wall but seems that might take a long time and if i keep an eye on it and whack it from time to time should be ok??

I grow about 11 types of bamboo. They are v. aggressive growers, and hardly any other plant can grow under it. I wouldn't recommend a bamboo hedge unless you have a road's width of space to deal with, and even then it will likely get out of hand. There are various types. I've had 2 smaller types. One is ok but not pretty, and the other has very itchy stalks. In Belize I only saw one type and it had 5 inch spikes radiating out at each node. There are other hedge-like plants I would recommend. One is boxwood, with the added advantage of lovely smelling little white flowers. Another has large multi-colored leaves. Called 'croton', the lear colors are orange, red, green, yellow, purple, ...and it likes this climate. Again in Belize, I've seen hedges of croton growing up to 4 meters tall, tho they're usually about 1 to 2 meters. Also v. easy to propagate. If anyone wants cuttings for free, let me know.

I grow about 11 types of bamboo. They are v. aggressive growers, and hardly any other plant can grow under it. I wouldn't recommend a bamboo hedge unless you have a road's width of space to deal with, and even then it will likely get out of hand. There are various types. I've had 2 smaller types. One is ok but not pretty, and the other has very itchy stalks. In Belize I only saw one type and it had 5 inch spikes radiating out at each node. There are other hedge-like plants I would recommend. One is boxwood, with the added advantage of lovely smelling little white flowers. Another has large multi-colored leaves. Called 'croton', the lear colors are orange, red, green, yellow, purple, ...and it likes this climate. Again in Belize, I've seen hedges of croton growing up to 4 meters tall, tho they're usually about 1 to 2 meters. Also v. easy to propagate. If anyone wants cuttings for free, let me know.

boxwood or croton not tall enough for my needs.,...i need something at least ten meters or more tall and fast growing....bamboo seems obvious choice,,..

this one? any idea where in CR to find at a nursery?

Thyrsostachys siamensis — ไผ่รวก (phai ruak) — Monastery Bamboo

BS-0001-0_03_640px.jpg

■ Height 10-12 m; culm diameter 5-7 cm; very dense clumper; habit upright, slightly bending above, no low branching.
■ Widespread in Thailand, wild and often planted.
■ Easy growing, moisture-retentive soil, somewhat drought-resistant, full sun, tolerates some shade.
■ For narrow visual screen and hedge, ornamental solitary or group. Shoots for diet. Culms for tools.

► (BT1)!

Try the large selection of garden supply and plant shops near the army base Pomchop, on your left as you approach the bridge from the south.

That's where i usually go but in past they have not had much bamboo selection...but will try again this weekend as never know. The nurseries on the road between the public hospital and town sometimes also have had bamboo but again only one or two kinds.

I once thought that bamboo must be easy to propagate as it is everywhere....but i learned the hard way that i sure don't have the skill level to get it to root and i'm too old/lazy to go out and try and dig a clump of it up myself.

Edited by pomchop