SURVEY: Do you believe the police have the right to hold a person's passport?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe the police have the right to hold a person's passport?  

405 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A passport legitimizes my existence on this planet. Without it you are illegitimate, and therefore the police has absolutely no right to take it.

I do realize that it might not be smart to refuse to hand it over. Remember, third world.

This question is not a matter of what you believe.

They either have the Legal right to do it or not.

Without a court order they don't and they are breaking International Law and possibly LM law if taking the passport from certain citizens.

I have always been told it is a violation of international law to hold a persons passport that only the goverment that you got the passport from has the right to take it. Please corect me if I am wrong.

Its sometimes ok for a state to hold someones passport to stop them travelling overseas but must be court mandated. police cannot confiscate someones passport...they must apply to the court

The passport you are issued belongs to the country who issued you it. Andy Hall's passport was confiscated by the police but he can re-apply for a new one. Remember that next time you get bribed or blackmailed by the bib.

post-221427-14550302547552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maestro
Removed quote of post that has been removed.

The survey questions are not adequately defined ....

It doesn't really have anything to do with ' minor offense ' ... it's more concerning if your a convicted criminal.

In a simple answer ..... yes .. They should be able to hold your passport, if you are considered a suspect person with criminal intent or they have or are investigating an offence that you may be involved.

If you are clean and have no record .... then it won't be a problem ...

It's a simple answer. No. As Scott mentioned, if involved in some major offense, you're already in custody or out on bail. If a minor offense, the police already have the means to prevent your departure at any check point and holding the passport is not only unnecessary, it's disproportionate to the level of offense. In both cases, the passport is the primary means of identification and needed by the foreigner day-to-day. To take the passport actually imposes an unnecessary hardship.

And it's worth mentioning that the ability to take it raises yet another extortion opportunity for police.

There's a REASON why passport confiscation is considered a violation of int'l law.

Are the British authorities not holding Julian Assanges passport?

if it's a Thai passport, the Royal Thai Police can do whatever they want with it because "their" government issued the document. if the passport in question belongs to a foreigner, then no. that passport should stay with its owner (or his/her government).

what is a minor offence?

Who will decide?

Obviously there is a big gap between your opinion and the police's

So at the end this question of "having right" or not will lead into nothing....because you cannot refuse the police to hand over your passport. And if you do...? How silly!

No, no and no...in fact if any Thai police (use the term loosely) try to confiscate my passport I will immediately state that you are in the process of committing a crime and I will contact my embassy immediately and demand a charge be held against him/her.

Edited by freedom4life

No... Unless by court order

And if this means being held in detention, until a court order is sort (within an appropriate time frame such as the next working day), then so be it.

If the passport is voluntarily surrendered, at a persons own risk (remembering that it shouldn't be given up in the first place), such that detention is not required, then that's a personal decision ( sit inside and wait vs sit at home with a beer)

That said, the court order should still be sort, with the passport returned if the court does not order it's retention, within the above specified time frame, and the holder of the passport can/ should still go and sit at the court to be present at case hearing.

I have always been told it is a violation of international law to hold a persons passport that only the goverment that you got the passport from has the right to take it. Please corect me if I am wrong.

Courts in Australia regularly order the forfeiture of a passport to prevent the accused absconding overseas., so I guess that's incorrect.

However, police in Oz cannot confiscate a passport, so maybe you're partly correct??

The difference between Thailand and Australia. Is Australia does it correctly through a court of law. The Thai police don't!!! When you are in a foreign country you are governed by their laws and International law. This a case of police robbery and they should be arrested for their crime.

YES - if the purpose is to prevent a criminal offender from leaving the country.

Yes, even for minor charges..

After committing an offense a traveler whatever wants to leave the country to avoid having to answer for his act. It is perfectly legitimate for the authorities to block departure until compensation.

The argument stating that cannot be confiscated at the pretext that it is owned by the emetrice authority is completely ridiculous. Passport seisure is not an appropriation and should be seen as a temporary use ban.

What part of being able to block departure at any checkpoint WITHOUT having to confiscate the passport don't you understand? Dealing with "flight risk" by taking the passport is simply unnecessary. Even in Thailand...

They can throw me in the slammer but I'm not surrendering my passport to anyone except an embassy official. This is yet another abuse of police power that belongs on the same page as forcing confessions by detaining foreigners unless and until they sign "statements" written in thai or refuse to submit to random piss-testing on the street.

Being a respectful guest in a foreign country is one thing, but submitting to thuggery & intimidation another.

Edited by hawker9000

This is correct! If they want copy

OK

But out of your Country of origin never surrender to anyone! This is a major violation of International Law.... Thailand can never make up their own Laws! In doing so they are committing a crime also. If you have broken the law they need to take you to your EMBASSY or Consulate, Passport is the sole owner of your Country from which it has been issued!!! Only they can take from your person!!!

No, no and no...in fact if any Thai police (use the term loosely) try to confiscate my passport I will immediately state that you are in the process of committing a crime and I will contact my embassy immediately and demand a charge be held against him/her.

correct! You have Cell Phone... Take their picture! As proof who is trying to harass you as you are going to courts to file criminal charges! Let them be worried!

why bother with the poll.

they have said publicly it is common practice and feedback from the embassies is that they will not intervene.

i love all the internet tough guys that claim they will go to jail or refer the police to their embassies.

Edited by HooHaa

why bother with the poll.

they have said publicly it is common practice and feedback from the embassies is that they will not intervene.

i love all the internet tough guys that claim they will go to jail or refer the police to their embassies.

'Wish I could say I have as much affection for the wimps who so easily bend over for extortion & intimidation. Some free advice: don't take up bridge.