CDC holds second public forum in Khon Kaen

rooster59

CDC holds second public forum in Khon Kaen

Kitti Cheevasittiyanon

BANGKOK, 7 February 2016 – The Constitution Drafting Commission has continued meeting and hearing opinions of the local people across the country, with the latest forum held in the Northeast.

The CDC on Saturday organized a public forum in Khon Kaen Province to hear more ideas and suggestions from residents about the draft Constitution.
,br> Chairman of the CDC’s subcommittee in charge of collecting public opinion and suggestions Thitipan Chuaboonchai, launched the event by delivering a welcome speech.

Then, CDC spokesman Udom Ratamarit took to the stage to explain the background to the latest draft charter initiative, which he said was required after tumultuous political conflict led to another political transition in the country.

Mr. Udom told the participants in Khon Kaen that the new version of the draft Constitution adheres to all 10 conditions stipulated in the 2014 Provisional Constitution, including the prevention of corruption, the liberation of politicians from outside interference, the promotion of awareness of the Rule of Law and social ethics, as well as guarantees of public participation, while ensuring careful state budget disbursement.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-07 footer_n.gif

I wonder if the latest "public participation" forum will be as "successful" as that held in Roi Et held at the end of last month;

KHON KAEN – In late January, about 250 Northeasterners from six provinces gathered at the conference room of the Petcharat Garden Hotel in Roi Et to participate in the drafting process of Thailand’s twentieth constitution. The military government claims to be seeking citizen participation in drafting the constitution, but these public forums to gather input from Thais across the country seem to be nothing but a false front in the Northeast.

Early announcements indicated that villagers would be randomly picked through the house registration system. But in Khon Kaen fewer than ten villagers accepted the invitation to join the forum in Roi Et and the bulk of participants were recruited through the personal connections of the organizers.

At the event in Roi Et, Chairman Wanchai Watanasap urged the attendants to respect each other’s opinions and warned that there cannot be any conflict among the participants. Then he divided the crowd into eight discussion groups and sent them off with a moderator and a notetaker.

In one of the small groups, the moderator kicked off the discussion by asking about the participants’ vision for Thailand after the new constitution was in place.

The room remained silent until a young man raised his hand and said, “I don’t want any more coups.” The moderator quickly responded that such concerns would require private conversations with the organisers.

http://isaanrecord.com/2015/03/29/drafting-the-constitution-in-a-drought-of-supporters/?print=print

and from this the junta will solemnly announce that the civilian populace actively participated in the discussion of the latest attempt at a constitution written for, and by, the "right people", thus ensuring its legitimacy.........................

Interesting read. I am glad that the CDC is venturing forth out of Fort Bangkok to get the opinions of the rest of the citizenry. It seems the citizens are afraid to participate. Did they perchance think this would be dangerous for their health or just a lack of input and understanding. Well a product must be sold and this requires a road show. Last time I attended a spiel was decades ago and I ended up spending $20 for a bunch of knives that looking back now were maybe worth $5. But the spielmeister just kept adding little "free" bonuses and I had to fight my way through a crowd people waving $20 dollar bills to claim my "bargain"

Edited by elgordo38

Was it ' Attendance By Invitation Only ' ?

I should imagine only "good people" were invited.

Things might have got out of hand otherwise, which would then entail redoubled efforts to spread happiness, confiscate calendars and prevent the sale of jam!

Edited by JAG

Interesting read. I am glad that the CDC is venturing forth out of Fort Bangkok to get the opinions of the rest of the citizenry. It seems the citizens are afraid to participate. Did they perchance think this would be dangerous for their health or just a lack of input and understanding. Well a product must be sold and this requires a road show. Last time I attended a spiel was decades ago and I ended up spending $20 for a bunch of knives that looking back now were maybe worth $5. But the spielmeister just kept adding little "free" bonuses and I had to fight my way through a crowd people waving $20 dollar bills to claim my "bargain"

That's like a joke by Jerry Seinfeld,

"I never thought I would ever say the following words: I would like to order the Ginsu steak knives, please"

I guess participation was limited as the normal population doesn't really go for reading and discussion charters. Now if only the CDC had provided the 'right' stimulation, made it part of a show, food and music, a market with the chance to buy souvenirs like calendars and so rolleyes.gif

I guess participation was limited as the normal population doesn't really go for reading and discussion charters. Now if only the CDC had provided the 'right' stimulation, made it part of a show, food and music, a market with the chance to buy souvenirs like calendars and so rolleyes.gif

I guess participation was limited because the normal population know that they have got a snowballs chance in hell of being able to influence or change any part of the decreed constitution and that these "public participation" forums are just dog and pony shows for the junta to justify to themselves that they have "listened" to the electorate civilians views.

That's like a joke by Jerry Seinfeld,

"I never thought I would ever say the following words: I would like to order the Ginsu steak knives, please"

You may find it hard to believe but I once heard a consumer advocate rave about the "Ginsu steak knives".

He said they were the best knives he'd ever used.

I guess participation was limited because the normal population know that they have got a snowballs chance in hell of being able to influence or change any part of the decreed constitution and that these "public participation" forums are just dog and pony shows for the junta to justify to themselves that they have "listened" to the electorate civilians views.

Difference of opinion. Mind you, even in democratic countries the enthousiasm the general public shows is not aimed at reading or discussing charters even when their voice might make a difference.

The 2007 constitution was mainly unread by the general public. Not sure the general public saw the "people's charter" of 1997 before it become law.

Difference of opinion. Mind you, even in democratic countries the enthousiasm the general public shows is not aimed at reading or discussing charters even when their voice might make a difference.

The 2007 constitution was mainly unread by the general public. Not sure the general public saw the "people's charter" of 1997 before it become law.

In democratic countries, such topics are discussed in political meetings, or in parliament and Senate session by the different political groups of elected representatives. They are also discussed in numerous TV shows without limitations. Etc.... Nothing to compare with the current situation here.

• 2 weeks later...

In democratic countries, such topics are discussed in political meetings, or in parliament and Senate session by the different political groups of elected representatives. They are also discussed in numerous TV shows without limitations. Etc.... Nothing to compare with the current situation here.

Not really different from 2007 or 1997. It would seem that for Thailand democracy or military Junta doesn't really matter much for how things are run.