Do you use a dash cam ?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me that the roads here are some of the worst I have ever driven on.

Any members here feel the need to use a dash cam and if so do you have any advice you can share.

Thank you.

. Someone said Chevy Trailblazer has 7 or 11 cameras in the vehicle

It seems to me that the roads here are some of the worst I have ever driven on.

Any members here feel the need to use a dash cam and if so do you have any advice you can share.

Thank you.

Yes, a very good idea to use one and many many do.

Have a search ... several big topics and not so long ago.

Roads will be busy today ... why not, lets have another one.

If you have an EV I can highly recommend that you think carefully before you buy the Ford Car Cam. The screen is very small, I can't see how to play it back through the incar screen and it won't play back on Android either ... just on a PC.

It's a nice compact unit though ...

The psychological effects of a dash cam can be greater than ant tangible benefits.

Everyone thinks they are a good idea, but as a silent witness they are open to interpretation. ...and that interpretation might incriminate you as much as anyone else.

However it isn't just the drivers who might get a false sense of security; the average Thai police officer thinks they are some kind of talisman of truth.......which of course they are not.

However, on balance I think they are not such a bad idea.

All my cars have cameras.

Have had to use video evidence from them once, which successfully turned around a unfavorable situation.

In that case, we had the other party telling lies about the events leading up to the incident, and 3 'witnesses' they manufactured to corroborate their story. The video undid it all and revealed the truth.

No disrespect to cumgranosalum, but there's little details that video can make indisputable - like what lane a vehicle was in in the moments prior to an incident - and that can make all the difference.

If everyone was being honest, sure it probably wouldn't have been needed. But when people are looking at being liable for a very expensive repair bill, sometimes they might decide to twist the details a little wink.png

Edited by IMHO

What's the neatest installation dash cam? The one my wife uses currently is a spaghetti of hanging wires

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Brand-SAMOON-DV5E5-Manufacture-Orange-Menu-GS1000-CAR-DASH-CAM-DVR-HD-1080P-GPS/1597633072.html

you can't see the wire in HRV

through the glass and side pannel and leave the loose wires inside the hole behind the glove box

If you get hit by a bike in the passing right lane, then no matter what somchai says, he should never have been there

What if he was headed for a u-turn point?

im certain that theres a law somewhere where slow bikes have to wait on the right for the traffic to clear before going to a uturn on a multi lane highway

The psychological effects of a dash cam can be greater than ant tangible benefits.

Everyone thinks they are a good idea, but as a silent witness they are open to interpretation. ...and that interpretation might incriminate you as much as anyone else.

However it isn't just the drivers who might get a false sense of security; the average Thai police officer thinks they are some kind of talisman of truth.......which of course they are not.

However, on balance I think they are not such a bad idea.

Huh?

What's the neatest installation dash cam? The one my wife uses currently is a spaghetti of hanging wires

It's usually not too hard to push the wires under the roof lining, under the a-pillar cover, then under the dash.

In my cars, I use a fuse-tap direct from the fusebox, connected to an inline female accessory socket - which is all subsequently hidden under the dash.

That way none of the factory wiring is cut/tapped, the accessory socket(s) in the dash remain free, and the only wire you see is s short vertical run from the roof lining to cam itself. Also, none of the cam wiring is modified, so warranty on it intact also.

Like this:

cq5ty4.jpg

Source: http://www.chemashop.com/product/122/%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94-diy-mini-fuse-%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B1%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B9%88

I've had a Dash-Cam in my last 3 cars - I wouldn't want to be driving without one.

I haven't needed it yet - but its there just in case.

The Dash-Cam in my latest car is the BlackVue DR 650 DG 2 CH and has two cameras (Forwards and Rear). It has no screen which I like as it make the cam smaller inconspicuous - it hides behind the rear-view mirror. I can view the captured videos over a Wifi Connection to the cam.

The installation was simple - wires tucked behind the upholstery.

Hopefully I'll never need dash cam evidence but I think it is well worth having. I have cameras in both the car and my truck. The truck has an expensive one with GPS functions. Whether that is a good idea depends on how you drive. The GPS functions can be turned off. The one in the car is a fairly cheap unit from Lazada. The 2,000 baht unit records images at least as good as the expensive unit.

I've had a Dash-Cam in my last 3 cars - I wouldn't want to be driving without one.

I haven't needed it yet - but its there just in case.

The Dash-Cam in my latest car is the BlackVue DR 650 DG 2 CH and has two cameras (Forwards and Rear). It has no screen which I like as it make the cam smaller inconspicuous - it hides behind the rear-view mirror. I can view the captured videos over a Wifi Connection to the cam.

The installation was simple - wires tucked behind the upholstery.

I have a Brand New One of these still in its Box, Bought from UK

Never Got Round to Installing it, also with a 64Gb High Speed Card . . . .

I think western drivers tend to use a dash cam in the same way Thai drivers rely on garlands and medallions....same place samne function just a different fetish

PS I use both....just hope the flowers don't get in the way of the camera if the worse comes to the worst.....

I think western drivers tend to use a dash cam in the same way Thai drivers rely on garlands and medallions....same place samne function just a different fetish

Same function, are you serious? Maybe you should have added a smiley face.

Per the unit linked by BearPolar, I have that same one installed (actually the A170 which is a bit of update on the B40). Delivered from aliexpress (US$60 all in), installed and operating about one hour later. Simple as can be, no visible wires, power lead plugs into the cigarette lighter (my Ford Ranger has two in the front dashboard). Turn ignition key on it starts, turn off it stops. Standard microSD card, I had a spare 16GB lying around, each Start-Stop cycle records as a separate MOV file, playable on most devices.

Novelty warn off now ,too lazy to bother with it.[emoji372][emoji23]

Not like you have to wind it up. It comes on when you turn on the ignition, how hard is that?

Thanks Giddy, ive mastered the ignition, but not the fact the silly ting doesnt rewind and tecord auto,cant be bothered clearing the memory all the time. Or perhaps i cant understand the Chin Translation to Chinglish in the booklet.wub.pnggigglem.gif

All my cars have cameras.

Have had to use video evidence from them once, which successfully turned around a unfavorable situation.

In that case, we had the other party telling lies about the events leading up to the incident, and 3 'witnesses' they manufactured to corroborate their story. The video undid it all and revealed the truth.

No disrespect to cumgranosalum, but there's little details that video can make indisputable - like what lane a vehicle was in in the moments prior to an incident - and that can make all the difference.

If everyone was being honest, sure it probably wouldn't have been needed. But when people are looking at being liable for a very expensive repair bill, sometimes they might decide to twist the details a little wink.png

What you are stating is to quote Mr Cleese "the bleedin' obvious" ...I'm however referring to the effects of putting too much faith in either fetish.

Novelty warn off now ,too lazy to bother with it.[emoji372][emoji23]

Not like you have to wind it up. It comes on when you turn on the ignition, how hard is that?

Thanks Giddy, ive mastered the ignition, but not the fact the silly ting doesnt rewind and tecord auto,cant be bothered clearing the memory all the time. Or perhaps i cant understand the Chin Translation to Chinglish in the booklet.wub.pnggigglem.gif

All dash cams have loop recording. It doesn't matter that the card is full - new files will simply overwrite the oldest files.