Getting Prescription Medications in Thailand. How Can I Do It on a Small Budget?

coolhand53089

Hi, I am a disabled US military veteran living in Thailand. I want to make sure that I continue getting my prescription medications that the VA wants me to take. I am on a very tight budget here and I do not have health insurance. If I do not continue to get these medications (and possibly show proof if the VA ever asks for it), then they could reduce or stop my disability payments, which would leave me with no income.

Does anyone have some advice for me on how I could go about getting these generic medications on a budget?

Sertraline (aka Zoloft)

Prazosin

Trazodone

Thanks in advance for your tips on this. And please keep in mind I live near Udon Thani, so going to Bangkok would be quite an ordeal.

Hi, I don't know the answer but I have PM'd NancyL who knows all things medical for expats. I have given her a link to this thread and asked her to join this conversation.

She is very good if no one else who knows shows up first.

Thank you for your service, and good luck.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Medical care and RX tends to be much less expensive in Thailand than in the US. Also, some drugs that would require a prescription in the US can be sold by a pharmacy itself.

I don't know the particulars about your meds vs Thailand so we'll wait for NancyL to log in and see my message. She is super nice and super helpful. You are in the right place to ask your question for sure.

Cheers.

There is a Vets Group in Udon Thani....meets every month, I can get you a phone number to-day & PM you or you can contact the local Website (talk shop) in Udon --there are 2 of them on line........I just don't know if I am allowed to post them here----so I have PM them to you.

Edited by oxo1947

I buy my Meds online from a pharmacy in Bangkok, with one exception everything was cheaper than any of my local pharmacies in Pattaya. I normally order three months supplies which cost 100 baht for ems and are usually received the next day, smaller package cost 50 baht by ems. Initially I e mailed them and asked for the prices so I could compare which they did by return e mail so you can check them out. I don't think I can post their e mail address so I have seen you a PM.

Mesquite's right -- I know about medical treatment in Chiang Mai and I know exactly where to go in Chiang Mai to check out if these drugs are available. Well, actually I know that the first two are available in Chiang Mai because I know other people who take them, but I don't know about the third. According to Wikipedia it's U.S. patent expired in 2013 and it can be used to treat several conditions, so I would expect that it would be available in Thailand -- Sheryl would know the answer to that and where to go to ask in Udon Thani.

The OP may have to go down to Khon Kaen to the large gov't regional medical center to get that drug and see a doctor for a prescription, but Sheryl would know if that's needed. And if it is, it shouldn't be an expensive trip -- just time-consuming. Drugs and doctor appointments are cheap at government hospitals, but the wait times are long.

Sheryl checks out the threads on this forum daily, so she'll provide her wisdom soon.

• Like 1

All of these meds are available OTC and in locally made generic equivalents.

Sent you PM with local brand names and suggested pharmacies which sell generics at low price.

As mentioned in PM, your bigger problem will be health insurance in the event you need hospitalization.

• Like 1

Sent you PM with local brand names and suggested pharmacies which sell generics at low price.

As mentioned in PM, your bigger problem will be health insurance in the event you need hospitalization.

most government hospitals are very good in Thailand and very cheap, even for major operations and hospitalisation. But they are crowded and you have to be patient and wait your turn. You will probably find the cost of medical insurance is just not worthwhile. If you are over a certain age they charge a lot more and will not insure you if you over 70.

Government hospital costs can easily exceed a million baht in case of a catastrophic illness or accident. Many, many expats have had major problems paying their bills in government hospitals. Do not be misled by the low cost of outpatient care and minor hospitalizations.

So I would have to strongly disagree that insurance isn't worthwhile.

There are companies that will insure people over 70. Some will even insure people in theoir 90's. But of course the premiums are higher the older one is.

• Like 2

Offshore pharmacy India i know you are US but UK ex armed forces join British Legion pay £21 per year get free ride home if in trouble medivac too will have to be strictly legal,no uppers,downers or sidewinders now Other quoted sites just do a ,search am going over very soon,going for veterinary supplies ,plus medical,that cannot get,or do not want in Thailand

post-208811-0-26387700-1454995203_thumb.

Edited by loppylugs1

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2016 at 1:12 PM, Sheryl said:

Hi. I too have spent some time trying to find generic Zoloft in Udonthani. I have used Zoloft before, but here in Thailand they are too expensive for me . When i went to the doctor he told my thai wife that these kind of tablets are illegal in Thailand and that they don't sell them. I find that hard to believe. I see you sent the names of generic Zoloft and where one can buy them in Udon , to someone else asking for the same thing. Could you please be kind enough to send this information to me too?   

regards herkulus

1. The drug is not at all illegal. In fact, it does not even require a prescription. Can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy, and there are many locally made Thai brands.

2. I suggest you never go to that particular doctor again as anyone who does not know this is suspect in terms of competancy.  (Was this actually a doctor as opposed to someone behind the counter at a pharmacy? Hard to believe a doctor would have said this)

3. Locally made generic equivalent brands are:

Sertraline GPO

Serlin 50

Sertra

Sisalon

Starin

Zotaline

4. Any large pharmacy shopuld have one or more of these brands. by large pharmacy I do not mean a chain like Boots or Watsons, but a store selling pharmaceuticals. In Udon town, try Muang Thong pharmacy (near the market) and see also this list, with phone numbers https://en.panpages.co.th/search?page=1&per_page=20&q=pharmacy+Udon+Thani I don't know the geography up there but if any of the ones that also list "medical supplies" are in the vicinity of a large hospital, would be a good bet.

• Like 1

To Sheryl

Thanks for the very quick answer. I finally managed to track down a pharmacy in Undonthani that had Zotaline.  I got some help from a Thai friend who speaks english and he helped me out calling various pharmacies on the list you gave me a link to. We are going to Udon tomorrow to pick it up. The price was 10 THB per tablet, which is quite acceptable.  

Regarding the doctor i went to , (claiming those tablets was illegal). It turns out there is a lot of confusion going on here. By talking with my wife again about it. It might be that it was the person at the pharmacy that claimed this and not the doctor.  

It seems to me that this kind of confusion seems to be quite normal in Thailand , and i still find it hard to track down things i need without going through a lot of stress and confusion first.   Without yellow telephone pages and easy to track down web sites it makes these kind of things even more of a struggle.  Thats probably how it is to be a newbe in Thailand.

Thanks again

There are various categories of drugs in Thailand and many, including Zoloft/Sertraline, are in a category which permits OTC sale but only by a grade one pharmacist. Actually, most meds are in that category but this provision (as well as one requiring keeping a record of all sales) tends to be enforced selectively for only some medications.

Many, many pharmacies do not have a "real" pharmacist on staff (though one may have lent their name to the registration of the business), indeed the person behind the counter often has had absolutely no relevant training whatsoever (even if wearing a white lab coat). In that instance they will not usually not sell such medications. Likely the person behind the counter only knew that it was not legal for their shop  to sell this drug but wrongly stated that it was illegal everywhere. This seems to happen quite a bit.

Important piece of advice: find a pharmacy that has a real pharmacist behind the counter -- there usually is at least one in each provincial capital -- and make that the only one you use. Actual full-fledged pharmacists in Thailand are actually quite knowledgable and can be a great resource.

• Like 1

Log onto your VA medical center website. Click the link for myhealthvet and register, you can communicate directly with your doctor and even refill prescriptions online. Have them shipped to a friend and then have him mail them to you in Thailand. I've been doing it for 12 years.

-O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/8/2016 at 1:17 AM, NancyL said:

Mesquite's right -- I know about medical treatment in Chiang Mai and I know exactly where to go in Chiang Mai to check out if these drugs are available. Well, actually I know that the first two are available in Chiang Mai because I know other people who take them, but I don't know about the third. According to Wikipedia it's U.S. patent expired in 2013 and it can be used to treat several conditions, so I would expect that it would be available in Thailand -- Sheryl would know the answer to that and where to go to ask in Udon Thani.

The OP may have to go down to Khon Kaen to the large gov't regional medical center to get that drug and see a doctor for a prescription, but Sheryl would know if that's needed. And if it is, it shouldn't be an expensive trip -- just time-consuming. Drugs and doctor appointments are cheap at government hospitals, but the wait times are long.

Sheryl checks out the threads on this forum daily, so she'll provide her wisdom soon.

You can buy a bucket load of Trazadone in that big Pharmacy next to Klaimor Hospital, almost opposite Dr Morgan's.... it's been around for ages.

Edited by uptheos
Clarify location

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, LilNomad said:

Where in Chiang Mai can I purchase my birth control and blood pressure meds? I have US perscription and can bring the bottles etc. Would like to purchase a min of 90 day supply. Will be in Chaing Mai near end of year.

Thank You 

LilNomad

Birth control pills do not require a prescription in Thailand and neither do BP meds. Whether or not the particular meds you are on are available in Thailand, depends what they are. If you can list the names here I can advise.

On 2/8/2016 at 5:40 AM, coolhand53089 said:

Thanks very much for this Neversure! I appreciate that very much and I hope to get in touch with NancyL soon. Thank you!

You are on 2 antidepressants.  Careful with this.  Prazosin your blood pressure med also needs to be monitored for the correct dosage.  

• 1 year later...
On 2/8/2016 at 8:01 AM, JohnC said:

I buy my Meds online from a pharmacy in Bangkok, with one exception everything was cheaper than any of my local pharmacies in Pattaya. I normally order three months supplies which cost 100 baht for ems and are usually received the next day, smaller package cost 50 baht by ems. Initially I e mailed them and asked for the prices so I could compare which they did by return e mail so you can check them out. I don't think I can post their e mail address so I have seen you a PM.

OP

You say you are a US Veteran with disabilities but you did not say if those disabilities have been accepted as service connected.  If indeed they are service connected, you should be eligible to receive free overseas medical care and medications.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...