Prominent Buddhist monk fans anti-Muslim sentiment in Thailand

webfact

Prominent Buddhist monk fans anti-Muslim sentiment in Thailand
By Panu Wongcha-um, Channel NewsAsia

Bangkok-based Buddhist monk Maha Aphichat is among a growing group of Thai monks who feel their religion is under threat from Islam.

BANGKOK: Anti-Islamic sentiment is brewing in Thailand, spurred-on by Buddhist monks who feel that their religion is under threat from Islam.

This fear mongering has been exacerbated by the ongoing political conflict within Thai Buddhism, the 12-year-old armed-insurgency in Thailand’s deep south, and the growing influence of Buddhist radicals in neighboring Myanmar.

Bangkok-based Buddhist monk Maha Aphichat is unafraid of speaking his mind. The 30-year-old gained notoriety last October, after he urged Thai Buddhists on social media to burn down a mosque for every monk killed in the country's Malay-Muslim dominated south.

Full story: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/prominent-buddhist-monk/2497804.html

-- CHANNEL NEWSASIA 2016-02-08

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a sense Buddhism IS under threat in Thailand, at least in the 3 southernmost violence afflicted provinces. As is typical when Islam starts to dominate, ethnic and religious cleansing of non-Muslims occurs to the point where eventually 100% of the population becomes Muslim. In the three southernmost provinces, 80% of the population is already Muslim and out of Thailand's 3200 or so mosques, 2100 of them are located in these provinces despite only being home to 18% of Thailand's Muslim population (the vast majority of Thais incorrectly think that 90% or so of all Thai Muslims live there). I heard from a Thai based expat that the Thais are planning on building a mega Wat in one of these three southernmost provinces, perhaps to counter the growing Islamic (and anti-Thai separatist) influence in the region. I could imagine that there will be major religious divisions and possibly violence if this temple is built.

While I'm not sure it's always been this way (always as in historically over the last couple of hundred years since Islam first arrived in Indonesia/Malaysia/southern Thailand) but around 30% of all southern Thais are Muslim. In fact, even in Phuket there are as many mosques as Buddhist temples 37 vs. 38 (based on figures from a few years ago), while in Krabi you'd be hard pressed to find the Buddhist temples (there are some but not many) whereas mosques are everywhere. Even as far north as Ranong, everywhere from around 50km south of A. Muang is predominanently Muslim. I remember counting 11 mosques driving in from Phang-nga, but only 3 Buddhist temples. A. Muang and northern parts of Ranong are predominanently Buddhist though.

While I don't condone violence against anyone, if Islam becomes even more dominant than it currently is, especially in southern Thailand, the consequences to society could be quite significant. I wouldn't be surprised if Buddhist monks lead the charge against the islamization of Thailand, as has been happening in neighboring Myanmar. However, in Myanmar Buddhism seems to be in a much stronger position than in Thailand from my own observations.

"The 30-year-old gained notoriety last October, after he urged Thai Buddhists on social media to burn down a mosque for every monk killed in the country's Malay-Muslim dominated south."

wai2.gif

"NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha pleads with members of the public to help in getting rid of what he called “garbage” in the social media sows the seed of hatred in this country." whistling.gif

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/55747

The monk is right, we are all under threat from Islam, its always been a conquering expansionist ideology. Islam has never been interested in equal rights for un bleivers, equality for different faiths or freedom of thought. The threat is not from Muslims, it's the faith they have been brainwashed into that's the problem

Edited by jacky54

Extremist Muslims are making the bed that the decent Muslims have to sleep in, yet they do nothing about it.

I have met many decent Muslim people. I suppose that if I had met a bad one I'd be dead.

It's really up to the decent Muslims to stop this hatred, but I see no hope on that front.

They seem to be like whipped dogs that cower in fear and allow the psychos to rule the asylum.

Extremist Muslims are making the bed that the decent Muslims have to sleep in, yet they do nothing about it.

I have met many decent Muslim people. I suppose that if I had met a bad one I'd be dead.

It's really up to the decent Muslims to stop this hatred, but I see no hope on that front.

They seem to be like whipped dogs that cower in fear and allow the psychos to rule the asylum.

Unfortunately, it is religious extremists of any faith who cause the problems. They interpret their faith as superior to all others and cannot accept that religion is basically the historical laws by which, if poeple follow, society can exist in relative harmony.

Obviously the ISIS, Al Queda, etc muslims are a bad thing. But I agree with the above post with regards to extremists. We see it in all sides. While not all religions have Jihaads, the interpretations have led to most of the wars in mankind's existence. They led to the destruction of thousands of historical artifacts and pieces of knowledge at the hands of crusaders, conquistadors, and others. Certainly someone encouraging burning down mosques is part of the problem, and not the solution.

Nipping in the bud has already started in Europe, after realising that all the changes being made to their identity, violence against mosque's and believers is growing, pushing back or pushing them out , seems to be the only solution ,as they want to out breed all religoius beliefs and the extremists amongst them hide , even if no arms are taken up the message is still sent "unbelievers will always be infidels,"

If all the world was now muslim, ask your self ,will you hyperthetically now get on your knees and pray x 3 each day and 5 on Fridays , will you give up the right to have a beer, the list is so long and my anger increases with each word, Freedom is the right of self determination, the quality of being independent of fate or necessity.

the recent raids in Paris on mosque's clearly show their willingness to use the house of worship as storage for arms and propaganda material for extremism, while the moderates in these countries open their arms to all , get undermined , and the innocent killed , sure they get remembered in some way of wreath laying but they are innocent and dead, and it is not right.

In a sense Buddhism IS under threat in Thailand, at least in the 3 southernmost violence afflicted provinces. As is typical when Islam starts to dominate, ethnic and religious cleansing of non-Muslims occurs to the point where eventually 100% of the population becomes Muslim. In the three southernmost provinces, 80% of the population is already Muslim and out of Thailand's 3200 or so mosques, 2100 of them are located in these provinces despite only being home to 18% of Thailand's Muslim population (the vast majority of Thais incorrectly think that 90% or so of all Thai Muslims live there). I heard from a Thai based expat that the Thais are planning on building a mega Wat in one of these three southernmost provinces, perhaps to counter the growing Islamic (and anti-Thai separatist) influence in the region. I could imagine that there will be major religious divisions and possibly violence if this temple is built.

While I'm not sure it's always been this way (always as in historically over the last couple of hundred years since Islam first arrived in Indonesia/Malaysia/southern Thailand) but around 30% of all southern Thais are Muslim. In fact, even in Phuket there are as many mosques as Buddhist temples 37 vs. 38 (based on figures from a few years ago), while in Krabi you'd be hard pressed to find the Buddhist temples (there are some but not many) whereas mosques are everywhere. Even as far north as Ranong, everywhere from around 50km south of A. Muang is predominanently Muslim. I remember counting 11 mosques driving in from Phang-nga, but only 3 Buddhist temples. A. Muang and northern parts of Ranong are predominanently Buddhist though.

While I don't condone violence against anyone, if Islam becomes even more dominant than it currently is, especially in southern Thailand, the consequences to society could be quite significant. I wouldn't be surprised if Buddhist monks lead the charge against the islamization of Thailand, as has been happening in neighboring Myanmar. However, in Myanmar Buddhism seems to be in a much stronger position than in Thailand from my own observations.

Islam has been present in the now three Southern Thai provinces from the late 14th Century. The British colonial empire ceded the Malayan three deep South Provinces, in a territory swap, with the Thai king in 1909, allegedly primarily as an inducement for the Thais to counter French colonial influence in SE Asia. No idea of the actual percentages, but in 1909 the three deep South provinces were majority Muslim. Approx 20% of Thai Muslims reside in the three deep South provinces. So far as I know there has not been any insurgency operations by the 80% of Thai Muslims who live elsewhere in Thailand. It has been argued, even by Thai military officers, that the conflict in the deep South is mainly motivated by ethnic nationalist causes, though the longer the conflict proceeds likelihood of increasing Islamist influences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Siamese_Treaty_of_1909

Edited by simple1

The religion isn't under threat it's that many of the so-called upholders of the religion are scum.

As are the narrow minded bigots who puke up their hatred every time a story with the I or M word in it.

Even ones where the hatred is coming from other belief systems.

Islam has been present in the now three Southern Thai provinces from the late 14th Century. The British colonial empire ceded the Malayan three deep South Provinces, in a territory swap, with the Thai king in 1909, allegedly primarily as an inducement for the Thais to counter French colonial influence in SE Asia. No idea of the actual percentages, but in 1909 the three deep South provinces were majority Muslim. Approx 20% of Thai Muslims reside in the three deep South provinces. So far as I know there has not been any insurgency operations by the 80% of Thai Muslims who live elsewhere in Thailand. It has been argued, even by Thai military officers, that the conflict in the deep South is mainly motivated by ethnic nationalist causes, though the longer the conflict proceeds likelihood of increasing Islamist influences.

attachicon.gifSheddenPapers12_120306_ConflictinThailand_Nurakkate.pdf

Thanks for that bit of history. It's quite interesting.

The Thai military officers claiming the conflict in the deep South is not religious in nature are kidding themselves and simply hiding under the banner of Thai style political correctness. They don't want to fan the flames further. Hence not blaming religion is the easier way out.

The reality is that these separatists want their own Islamic state because their region was in their eyes, stolen from the infidels (Buddhist Thailand). Of course, ethnicity (Malay vs. Thai) and language (Yawi Malay vs. Thai) play a part, but ultimately it all comes back to Islam. Looking across the border to Malaysia, to be Malay is to be a Muslim (it's in their constitution) so it isn't hard for these separatists to claim a separate territory for themselves, largely for the same reasons; ethnically, linguistically and culturally they are the same as their cousins across the border.

attachicon.gifSheddenPapers12_120306_ConflictinThailand_Nurakkate.pdf

Thanks for that bit of history. It's quite interesting.

The Thai military officers claiming the conflict in the deep South is not religious in nature are kidding themselves and simply hiding under the banner of Thai style political correctness. They don't want to fan the flames further. Hence not blaming religion is the easier way out.

The reality is that these separatists want their own Islamic state because their region was in their eyes, stolen from the infidels (Buddhist Thailand). Of course, ethnicity (Malay vs. Thai) and language (Yawi Malay vs. Thai) play a part, but ultimately it all comes back to Islam. Looking across the border to Malaysia, to be Malay is to be a Muslim (it's in their constitution) so it isn't hard for these separatists to claim a separate territory for themselves, largely for the same reasons; ethnically, linguistically and culturally they are the same as their cousins across the border.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Obviously the ISIS, Al Queda, etc muslims are a bad thing. But I agree with the above post with regards to extremists. We see it in all sides. While not all religions have Jihaads, the interpretations have led to most of the wars in mankind's existence. They led to the destruction of thousands of historical artifacts and pieces of knowledge at the hands of crusaders, conquistadors, and others. Certainly someone encouraging burning down mosques is part of the problem, and not the solution.

Just about all conflict in the world is due to religion

"Bangkok-based Buddhist monk Maha Aphichat is unafraid of speaking his mind."

Bigots rarely are.

Bigots or people entitled to express their opinion? Or are you one of those people that calls somebody a bigot or racist or homophobic or islamaphobic if their views differ from yours.

Please feel free to elaborate on why you feel the monk in question is a bigot.

Brigante7

Decent Muslims will always hide behind the argument that there will always be extremists as an excuse for failing to confront the problem?

"Bangkok-based Buddhist monk Maha Aphichat is unafraid of speaking his mind." Mind is illusion, and in his case, a super illusion. He needs to go review the vows he took to be a monk, which includes shutting up on subjects such as this. Perhaps he did a bit of study in nearby Myanmar where monks are also major force in oppression of Muslims. Southern Muslims have consistently gotten the stinky end of the stick in Thailand, and surprising more of them are not in open revolt.

"Bangkok-based Buddhist monk Maha Aphichat is unafraid of speaking his mind."

Bigots rarely are.

Bigots or people entitled to express their opinion? Or are you one of those people that calls somebody a bigot or racist or homophobic or islamaphobic if their views differ from yours.

Please feel free to elaborate on why you feel the monk in question is a bigot.

Brigante7

Why is he a bigot, hmm let me see:

From the OP- A: “I want to tell Muslims to stop killing us. We can no longer tolerate this. If more Buddhists and monks are killed then we will retaliate. Our retaliation will not just be in the south, but against Muslims across the country."

A separatist conflict, albeit a foul and nasty one, that has nothing to do with faith is used by this bigot to justify murdering Muslims, any Muslims, regardless of their involvement in the conflict. That is promoting hate.

From the OP-B: "He has used local conflicts to further foment religious tensions, such as the Muslim community’s rejection to the building of a Buddhist Park in Pattani in January and more recently, Buddhist monks' opposition to the setting up of a halal food industry in Chiang Mai."

This bigot refuses to accept any other faiths right to follow their faith or decide what happens in a democratic manner in their community. I don't know why the Muslim community refused to allow a park in their community if the Buddhists there wanted one. All faiths should be allowed their place of worship. Is there a link to this story?

However to use it to promote hate is wrong.

From the OP-C: Ha has cited Myanmar's firebrand monk Ashin Wirathu - and his anti-Muslim teachings - as a model for safeguarding Buddhism in Thailand. “The doves (monks) cannot help us deal with this threat, like in the south, but the hawks can,” said Aphichat. “That's what’s happening in Myanmar: I'm applying Wirathu’s way in Thailand.'

Wirathu's methods are violence, intolerance and persecution, That is promoting hate.

The man is a scumbag, intolerant bigot.

Edited by Bluespunk

pure BS.

Islam is not the problem.

Buddhism is not the problem.

Christianity is not the problem.

People who want to use religion to further their own gains are the problem. This idiot monk is one of those people.

Recently i spoke with a very well dressed upper class elderly Thai gentleman with his elegantly dressed wife, they looked as if they had just come from the opera although we were in a market town. We met by chance and engaged in conversation ranging from politics to religion, He was scathing about Thai monks and Thai politics as well as LM. It appeared that he had studied politics and had been to London many times and had good knowledge about European politics, he knew all about spitting image and found it highly amusing, but here he said, making a throat cutting gesture, one would be finished. Strangely open minded for a Thai i thought but then again he seemed to be highly intelligent.

Watch out for the Christians too!

The 2011 annual growth rate of Christians in Thailand was 5.22%. The 2011 annual population growth rate in Thailand was 0.57%. That means that the number of Christians was growing 9 times faster than the general population.

From 2008-2011 about one-third of all new church members for the whole country came from the province of Chiang Mai with 9.22% of all new church members for the whole country came from the city of Chiang Mai - versus the percent of the national population living in Chiang Mai at only 2.57%.

For both Muslims and Christian families, the birthrate has been much higher than for Buddhist families. So by mere biological nature, their religions will see greater growth.