Bangkok aims to cut water consumption by 20 percent to cope with drought

webfact

City Hall aims to cut water consumption by 20 percent to cope with drought

0802002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration aims to cut water consumption by 20 percent in the upcoming dry season to set an example for the other state agencies and the private sector to follow suit.

The City Administration held a meeting of relevant units today (Monday) to discuss the drought problem and how they can cut back water usage during the dry season.

Mrs Bensai Keeyapat, assistant secretary of Bangkok governor, said that the meeting had come up with five measures to cope with the drought problem.

The measures include: a cutback of water usage by all units under the supervision of the City Hall by about 20 percent; inspection of tap water pipes to find out leaks and to have them fixed; recycling of used water; reducing water shortage impacts in farm land located in the outskirts of the city and campaigns to encourage members of the public to use water sparingly.

Mrs Bensai said the City Administration has eight water treatment plants which will treat used water for reuse such as to water plants and to clean footpaths and roads.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150045

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-09

Great News, no stupid water guns and buckets of water during songkran, as the public will use water sparingly wink.png . Fine those 10,000 Baht each that break the law. Oops there was me thinking there was going to be change. Wake up LG nothing will change.

I was waiting for the songkran haters, didn't take long...

So you really think that if there's no water at all in many parts of thailand they still will throw it at you during songkran? Think again.

So, Songkran will be cancelled this year (one can only hope)?

How can they not address Songkran ? One solution might be to allow one day only for water related Songkran activities nationwide and to ban the use of ice. To me this would be a good compromise.

How can they not address Songkran ? One solution might be to allow one day only for water related Songkran activities nationwide and to ban the use of ice. To me this would be a good compromise.

They can still cancel songkran waterfighting one day before it starts.

You guys sound like a bunch of old cats who fear being wet.gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

What a bunch of Grinches.

Takes 2 tons of water to grow a kg of rice. I'll forgo tonight's bowl of rice for my entire neighborhood's Songkran water allocation.

(BTW, I'm not a fan of Songkran water fights, but neither do I aspire to be a major league Scrooge. A minor league buttmunch, sure, but not an ML Scrooge)

Edited by impulse

Great News, no stupid water guns and buckets of water during songkran, as the public will use water sparingly wink.png . Fine those 10,000 Baht each that break the law. Oops there was me thinking there was going to be change. Wake up LG nothing will change.

So you really think that if there's no water at all in many parts of thailand they still will throw it at you during songkran? Think again.

haters? No water management is the term!

"campaigns to encourage members of the public to use water sparingly."

coffee1.gif

Lets see how that's working out for them. after songkran!

wai2.gif

Yes we have the problem in our sights. Ready, aim, fire oops sorry no bullets in our gun. They are just doing what politicians do best be very vocal look like your in charge in a crisis great political selfies. Sorry for the outburst I guess I have been watching to many TV series but then real life sometimes is like a TV series. Watching Scandal at present. I am sure its not that far off of real life. I confess I watch a lot of TV and sometimes its hard to sort out government operations from mafia machinations.

Sorry when it comes to Songkran no compromises. Its a tourist thingee and all tourist holidays must proceed come hell or high water. If you have been here long enough you know the drill. Tourism is first and foremost.

You guys sound like a bunch of old cats who fear being wet.gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

I must admin i love songkran. I love to have the kids in back of my truck driving in town to have fun. Go out eating at night with family and friends. I really don't know why many don't like songkran. Great party and been doing it for 4 years now. Everybody it happy smiling and so on. Yes you get wet, there more wet there more blessing smile.png

Edited by carstenp

Hard to cancel at the last minute as people book hotel rooms months in advance for this Pygmalion holiday. People need holidays look at China they close down for a whole week for Chinese New Years stock market and all. Must be a b***h being on holidays for a week and see the worlds stock markets nose dive and your sitting on a big wad of stock and your panicking but have no way to get out of the market. Oh well Happy New Year. I don't envy you come next Monday.

Thian, you should rethink your last paragraph. Sure they will throw water as long as there is water to throw. Who cares about the problems facing others,

it's all about me........

A 20% reduction is the expected response. Maybe next year 50%? Every other day supply? This has happened in the past in my country, Cyprus. It was fairly easy to cope with because every house or apartment block is supplied with domestic water indirectly. That is, the town water goes to a tank first and then from the tank to the various consumption points in the house. this is good because you expect the tank, 1-2 ton capacity, to fill up during the day of supply. I advise all those who live in houses to make provision for such a facility, a tank. Things are more likely to become worse and the 'direct on line' water may leave many a toilet unflushed.

This is my opinion.

Of course very high skyscrapers have a pumping station anyway but 4-5 storey or single houses normally served by the town water pressure direct, might need to consider the next step.

Hard to cancel at the last minute as people book hotel rooms months in advance for this Pygmalion holiday. People need holidays look at China they close down for a whole week for Chinese New Years stock market and all. Must be a b***h being on holidays for a week and see the worlds stock markets nose dive and your sitting on a big wad of stock and your panicking but have no way to get out of the market. Oh well Happy New Year. I don't envy you come next Monday.

What's a "Pygmalion holiday"?