Soi Cowboy bar owner dies following Bangkok condo fall

webfact

Reading his FB page, he was definitely having a hard time with his business and life. It looks like he's had a fun-filled life, too bad it had to end so early like this... RIP, sir

I've been reading many conflicting statements by him about his 'addiction', half are off the wall rants, others are begging his staff to come back.From what he writes, he was being ripped off by his staff, assaulted, bank accounts and FB page hacked... There's apparently much more to this story than the above article dismisses.

There are just simply too many farangs dying in precisely this way under mysterious circumstances. Too, too many.

If criminals would be employing this strategy, it would seem to be working. No questions asked by police. No sign of struggle or forced entry. So on and so on.

Rest in Peace mate

Ive seen Darel in the building for several years. He's a great guy with a real fun attitude.

Shame things went they way they did in the end.

What all seem to not understand is, he didnt go from one balcony to the other.

As informed by building management. He went to the roof of the building and tried to enter his property via the roof.

Everyone in the building is wondering why he didnt go down and call a locksmith, they all say he's been very paranoid for the past weeks.

Not his neighbour but family lives in the same building

Unfortunately I happen to know some inside information as I am good friends with people in his inner circle and how this all came to pass. Please understand my reasoning to say this is so others don’t make the same mistake and no disrespect to Darel and his family.

Last year Darel did a base jump that went terribly wrong resulting in his leg getting shattered and had nearly two dozen screws and pins put in holding it together. Stickman had a bit on it around Easter last year. Darel was not happy with the pain killers offered by the doctors so he made his own from recreational drugs. The combination of what he was taking very simply fried his brain and he became increasingly psychotic all through the last half of last year eventually resulting in permanent schizophrenia.

The new year’s eve incident when the staff at Dollhouse attacked him was when his psychotic behavior finally made a very public debut. Much of what happened next can be easily pieced together from his Facebook page reading some of his remarks that are clearly a product of schizophrenia like people making a movie about him and someone paying his staff to stay away. Also he was totally ignoring his foot injury that was a direct result of him being restrained by the police in Pattaya accidently doing some damage to one of the pins holding his foot together. The photos of his foot on his Facebook page show it was out of control with infection. If his head was on properly this infection could have been stopped easily right from the start.

Unfortunately the laws of Thailand make it very difficult for anyone to do intervention short of family or spouse and he had neither in Thailand. There was 100% effort by all of his friends to get him to where he could be helped, but Darel refused all intervention saying he was fine. Even a friend of his who was a mental health counselor was attempting to do some pro-bono work with him but that help was rejected as well.

The unfortunate reality is the Darel people knew died more than a month ago as a direct result of recreational drugs, and his body just died yesterday as a result of bad judgment also a result of those same recreational drugs. I sincerely hope this reality check will make others on the same path as Darel stop and think where it all leads.

i know some people say he has been paranoid the past few weeks and someone else said the Darel people knew died a month ago, but a friend of mine went out with him just a few nights ago and said he seemed to be normal. not at the top of his game, considering the stress, but normal. the last time i saw him was a few weeks ago before he had a business meeting with a friend. even then, nothing seemed immediately off to me. i didn't know him that well, but even if he was suffering from addiction and paranoia, it's possible that some people were, at the very least, taking advantage of him.

does anybody know what's with the 900k being taken out of his bank account? or being locked out of the DH FB page? and exactly why did wanting to have another countdown lead to him getting a NYE beatdown? it's all so strange.

No disrespect to the deceased but is climbing over condo balconies at 39 floors high the best way to to go about gaining entry to your condo after forgetting or losing your keys.

The guy was obviously a business man and therefore had access to money,why would you not stay in a cheap hotel for the night and or attempt to gain entry with the aid of the condo management or a lock smith.

Extremely sad way to lose your life for the sake of opening a door,could have kicked the damn thing in and replaced it as a last resort.

Suspect there is more to this than meets the eye as usual.

RIP.

I did the same thing last week :( but you don,t need any skillful locksmith to do the job ! A pipe wrench, or a drill, or any other powerful turning tool, will take any door lock out in a matter of seconds. Replace the next day and "Voila" ! A tragedy nevertheless, but one easily avoided by leaving a spare set with a trusted friend.

There are other bits of information that I chose not to share out of respect. the finer information will come out later, but you should be able to connect the dots that accusations by Darel should not be viewed with a critical eye. Darel simply could not distinguish between what was real and what was not in the last few weeks.

• Like 1

Reading his FB page, he was definitely having a hard time with his business and life. It looks like he's had a fun-filled life, too bad it had to end so early like this... RIP, sir

I've been reading many conflicting statements by him about his 'addiction', half are off the wall rants, others are begging his staff to come back.From what he writes, he was being ripped off by his staff, assaulted, bank accounts and FB page hacked... There's apparently much more to this story than the above article dismisses.

There are just simply too many farangs dying in precisely this way under mysterious circumstances. Too, too many.

If criminals would be employing this strategy, it would seem to be working. No questions asked by police. No sign of struggle or forced entry. So on and so on.

Read the story again, there is no other case of a farang falling to his death in Thailand that is precisely, or even remotely similar to this case.

No spare keys?

You do not need, most of those locks sold in Thailand could be picked by a 4 year old with a couple of paper clips...

I've found the locks functional, but the gap between the frame and the door is usually big enough to slide a plastic sheet through and open the door. Takes about 3 secs.

No disrespect to the deceased but is climbing over condo balconies at 39 floors high the best way to to go about gaining entry to your condo after forgetting or losing your keys.

The guy was obviously a business man and therefore had access to money,why would you not stay in a cheap hotel for the night and or attempt to gain entry with the aid of the condo management or a lock smith.

Extremely sad way to lose your life for the sake of opening a door,could have kicked the damn thing in and replaced it as a last resort.

RIP.

There are probably not many who would do this, but I did exactly the same thing back in my drinking 'daze'. I survived this unusual event. I, also, was not afraid of heights. RIP

I too have done some very stupid and very potentially fatal climbing in my cups.

I have watched friends do the same.

Hope the Mods don't let this thread get over run with the usual sarcastic/ insensitive comments.

His Friends and family could be (probably are) reading this.

:-

Dave I am in total agreement with what you say about refraining from the usual sarcastic/insensitive comments.

May I add, that I also agree that we should refrain from doing so, in all cases like this, farang and Thai. That we should do so, not only out of respect for the deceased, their friends and family, whether they can read it or not, but also out of one's self respect and dignity.

However, I think this wishful thinking will not eventuate due to the nature of some people who find that dehumanizing the unfortunate is easier on their mind than compassion.

• Like 2

Read Stickman last Sunday, seems this guy had been behaving erratically to say the least and the DH was closed

What is a DH?

The DH is a go-go bar in Soi Cowboy where PYs sometimes known as BGs polish chromium plated poles whilst performing lubricious gymnastic style movements in time to loud music.

The excited punters among the audience often pay a BF in order to take a PY out for an ST or possibly a LT. Clearer now.thumbsup.gif

Here's a link, which may be deleted.

:http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2013/Dollhouse-Soi-Cowboy-Bangkok.htm

Just curious, but do farang die from building falls at the same rate per capita in the US, EU, and other developed countries?

Do farang die from building falls at the same rate per capita in other developing countries, or is this sort of specific to Thailand? It seems to be a frequent enough event that it's become the brunt of jokes: Pattaya Flying Club; Opss! Another suicide; and so on.....

Read Stickman last Sunday, seems this guy had been behaving erratically to say the least and the DH was closed

What is a DH?

The DH is a go-go bar in Soi Cowboy where PYs sometimes known as BGs polish chromium plated poles whilst performing lubricious gymnastic style movements in time to loud music.

The excited punters among the audience often pay a BF in order to take a PY out for an ST or possibly a LT. Clearer now.thumbsup.gif

:http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2013/Dollhouse-Soi-Cowboy-Bangkok.htm

Crystal clear. Very good explanation. However, the DH's tend not to be in the limelight of BIB/RTA raids for using playing cards for immoral purposes, such as playing that lascivious and debauch game of Bridge. The DH's never venture beyond a daisy-chained mouth-on-pelvis display of PY gymnastics, which of course is a recognized sport in TLOS, unlike the degenerate 'gambling' game of Bridge (Just points??? Sure!)

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

What is a DH?

Crystal clear. Very good explanation.

They also have the NBC, for naughty boyz who dont want to leave the premises yet achieve all of the above.

RIP.

I'm sure he understood the concepts of Base-Jumping and decided to take the risk. Not being a skydiver, I would have called a locksmith.

Edited by connda

Hope the Mods don't let this thread get over run with the usual sarcastic/ insensitive comments.

His Friends and family could be (probably are) reading this.

:-

Dave I am in total agreement with what you say about refraining from the usual sarcastic/insensitive comments.

May I add, that I also agree that we should refrain from doing so, in all cases like this, farang and Thai. That we should do so, not only out of respect for the deceased, their friends and family, whether they can read it or not, but also out of one's self respect and dignity.

However, I think this wishful thinking will not eventuate due to the nature of some people who find that dehumanizing the unfortunate is easier on their mind than compassion.

Censorship in all it's forms is an effective method of quieting rhetoric that may 'offend' those who are 'sensitive'; but once you step down that path, don't complain about the cutting abilities of double-edged swords. Falling off a cliff is much easier that climbing back up. I'll err of the side of freedom of expression.

John Cleese: I'm offended every day. For example, the British newspapers every day offend me with their laziness, their nastiness, and their inaccuracy, but I'm not going to expect someone to stop that happening; I just simply speak out about it. Sometimes when people are offended they want — you can just come in and say, "Right, stop that." to whoever it is offending them. And, of course, as a former chairman of the BBC one said, "There are some people who I would wish to offend." And I think there's truth in that too. So the idea that you have to be protected from any kind of uncomfortable emotion is what I absolutely do not subscribe to. And a fellow who I helped write two books about psychology and psychiatry was a renowned psychiatrist in London called Robin Skynner said something very interesting to me. He said, "If people can't control their own emotions, then they have to start trying to control other people's behavior." And when you're around super-sensitive people, you cannot relax and be spontaneous because you have no idea what's going to upset them next. And that's why I've been warned recently don't to go to most university campuses because the political correctness has been taken from being a good idea, which is let's not be mean in particular to people who are not able to look after themselves very well — that's a good idea — to the point where any kind of criticism or any individual or group could be labeled cruel.

And the whole point about humor, the whole point about comedy, and believe you me I thought about this, is that all comedy is critical. Even if you make a very inclusive joke like how would you make God laugh? Answer: Tell him your plans. Now that's about the human condition; it's not excluding anyone. It's saying we all have all these plans, which probably won't come and isn't it funny how we still believe they're going to happen. So that's a very inclusive joke. It's still critical. All humor is critical. If you start to say, "We mustn't; we mustn't criticize or offend them," then humor is gone. With humor goes a sense of proportion. And then as far as I'm concerned, you're living in 1984.

Edited by connda

was his bar not making a profit ??