Thai Village Noise, Finally Had Enough.

PostmanPat

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a CD with white noise (rain) when my neighbors get too loud. It works well.

I play a cd with Killing Joke, The Clash or The Fall when my neighbours p1$$ me off. Works well for me. wifey not too happy with my choice....

Imagine that....you have music by The Fall. laugh.png

As a Brit I find that a touch of Gilbert & Sullivan improves my mood, and brings culture to the village at the same time, too ! rolleyes.gif

But I draw-the-line at going karaoking myself, even the geckos complain, when I sing in the shower !

No appreciation for music, some lizards ! tongue.png

Foam earplugs. God's gift to people who want to sleep in noisy environments.

Flying bores the heck outta me so I always try to sleep through the flight. But when there are crying babies, screaming kid, and jet engine noise it's not an easy task to fall asleep. Out come the foam ear plugs and blackout eye mask. Sound asleep quickly.

Foam earplugs work. They are the least intrusive physically so after a minute or so you don't even know you have them in your ears.

You can buy them in packs of 5 pair for just a few baht in most drug stores and at the airport, so you always have them in a drawer for those 'special nights' or flights.

I fully agree with FolkGuitar. Foam earplugs have got me through some otherwise very annoying experiences. I can sympathize with you. I have been through similar situations, and it can become very aggravating.

In case the noise is especially loud, you may want to check out 3M's tekk protection. They're not as comfortable as the foam (which I use almost all of the time), but they seem to block out even more noise. The cost is minimal and I found them at one of the popular chain Thai drugstores.

I hope you can find a sympathetic Thai person in the neighborhood with some kind of authority to help you.

All the best!

Out here in Central Isaan we get the loud fireworks that announce a death, these can be any time of the day or night. This is followed by a wake that involves loud music and roads closed outside the family home. The music often goes on until the early hours, with amplifiers turned up beyond the capability of the speakers resulting in distortion, mind you it improves the karaoke quality!

It used to disturb my sleep, but you soon filter out the noise, as I did with the noisy VC10's of 101 Sqn at Brize Norton, struggling to get a tanker full of fuel into the sky at silly o'clock in the morning.

Get over the anger and you'll soon find yourself sleeping through it.

Post insulting another member removed.

That was a post by the OP against me.

Please put it back.

It goes to show the character of the poster. It was tame compared to the PM he sent me. I have made mistakes and been laughed at. I can name you three posters who just love to see it happen and many the time when they jump on me I will just hit a I like response.

Post insulting another member removed.

That was a post by the OP against me.

Please put it back.

It goes to show the character of the poster. It was tame compared to the PM he sent me. I have made mistakes and been laughed at. I can name you three posters who just love to see it happen and many the time when they jump on me I will just hit a I like response.

Good for you, northernjohn.

You have the spunk to defend yourself.

Ok, Thanks all for your "helpful and sympathetic" (Not!) responses. Its morning now and gone. I suppose my post last night was borne out of the frustration of just how loud this was. Honestly, it wasnt just the usual village event, I m used to those, I ve been here eleven years, this one last night was ramped up to a noise level where you could hardly hear the telly on full volume, and it was across an open field from me so perhaps I was the nearest "Falang" house to this "evening of entertainment".

If this had been in the UK, the "noise abatement" authority would have gone in and turned it down ( they forced a Bruce Springsteen concert in a stadium to reduce the volume last year!) but of course, no such authority exists here.

So, apologies for my grumpiness last night, but it really was a lot more awful than it normally is !!!!

You have answered your own problem. Move to the UK

that wasn't so hard now was it?

Ah... He's "attacking"/criticizing Thailand, so he should Go Home To His Own Country. Classic ThaiVisa comment from an angry old man with nothing better to do than rack up his post count with nonsense posts.

Gilbert & Sullivan or Gilbert O'Sullivan?

Please, even I have standards, below which I refuse to sink ! rolleyes.gif

In demonstration of which, I won't now post links to G O'S on Youtube.

I am the Very Model of a Modern ageing/folkie Poster, in-general, donch-a-know ! facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Gilbert & Sullivan or Gilbert O'Sullivan?

Please, even I have standards, below which I refuse to sink ! rolleyes.gif

In demonstration of which, I won't now post links to G O'S on Youtube.

I am the Very Model of a Modern ageing/folkie Poster, in-general, donch-a-know ! facepalm.gif

How did this thread digress to Gilbert and Sullivan? Were the people in the village performing G & S too loudly?

I play a CD with white noise (rain) when my neighbors get too loud. It works well.

I play a cd with Killing Joke, The Clash or The Fall when my neighbours p1$$ me off. Works well for me. wifey not too happy with my choice....

The ultimate pain killer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d7kIarBW5Vc (Skip the lame 1st minute)

Works within minutes ...

I'm completely sympathetic with the OP. I can empathize with the annoyance and anger when ur trying to sleep and they are inconsiderate idiots making a racket.

It is also because of Thailand's complete lack of town planning and regulators. I think the job "town planner" doesn't even exist here nor does any job title with the word "planner".

I live in BKK and had to tell people at 2am to stop their sawing, drilling, playing music etc. But it's ongoing battle.

I also don't understand why the Thais have to turn up the volume so LOUD. Like when I go to a shopping and the lady MC is shrieking in a high voice "Awwwwhooorrrr!!!". I can hear her in all damn 6 floors!!!

Slipknot rulez!

(Metallica second)

Slipknot rulez!

(Metallica second)

Disaster Area should do the job

A friend is teaching in Colombia and told me the one thing you do not give a Colombian is an ink-pad and a stamp. They will build their whole careers around issuing their stamp. He then asked me what was the one thing you wouldn't want a Thai to have. I told him that it was pretty close, but you would regret any Thai having a whistle, bullhorn, or PA System. That still does not recognize dogs or motorcycles with special exhausts...so perhaps it is anything that makes noise.

I am in downtown Chiang Mai in a residential area and for the last 3 hours have been listening to high pitched Thai singing from across the soi. I have been waiting in vain for a neighbour to get pissed off and tell the woman to turn the 'music' down.

It is not an isolated incident, I can put up with that. So for 3 hours I have been contemplating stun grenades, RPGs and other military methods of reducing the noise.

In lieu of that I am going to drag out my old bagpipe CDs - fight fire with fire.

I am in downtown Chiang Mai in a residential area and for the last 3 hours have been listening to high pitched Thai singing from across the soi. I have been waiting in vain for a neighbour to get pissed off and tell the woman to turn the 'music' down.

It is not an isolated incident, I can put up with that. So for 3 hours I have been contemplating stun grenades, RPGs and other military methods of reducing the noise.

In lieu of that I am going to drag out my old bagpipe CDs - fight fire with fire.

Why not go out for a drink?

She'll be finished by the time you get back,

And if not you'll be drunk enough to knock on her door and try to chat her up.

Foam earplugs. God's gift to people who want to sleep in noisy environments.

Flying bores the heck outta me so I always try to sleep through the flight. But when there are crying babies, screaming kid, and jet engine noise it's not an easy task to fall asleep. Out come the foam ear plugs and blackout eye mask. Sound asleep quickly.

Foam earplugs work. They are the least intrusive physically so after a minute or so you don't even know you have them in your ears.

You can buy them in packs of 5 pair for just a few baht in most drug stores and at the airport, so you always have them in a drawer for those 'special nights' or flights.

Foam earplugs are absolutely useless compared to wax

I'm in Pattaya for a month and like a fool I didn't check out the surrounding streets, no less than 7 karaoke all next door to each other starting at 11pm and going strong at 10am! The wailing of seven people screaming at the same time with window rattling bass is indescribable. When they finish the jealous rooster next door decides to start his bit.

Thank God only 1week to go

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Ok, Thanks all for your "helpful and sympathetic" (Not!) responses. Its morning now and gone. I suppose my post last night was borne out of the frustration of just how loud this was. Honestly, it wasnt just the usual village event, I m used to those, I ve been here eleven years, this one last night was ramped up to a noise level where you could hardly hear the telly on full volume, and it was across an open field from me so perhaps I was the nearest "Falang" house to this "evening of entertainment".

If this had been in the UK, the "noise abatement" authority would have gone in and turned it down ( they forced a Bruce Springsteen concert in a stadium to reduce the volume last year!) but of course, no such authority exists here.

So, apologies for my grumpiness last night, but it really was a lot more awful than it normally is !!!!

You have answered your own problem. Move to the UK

that wasn't so hard now was it?

Ah... He's "attacking"/criticizing Thailand, so he should Go Home To His Own Country. Classic ThaiVisa comment from an angry old man with nothing better to do than rack up his post count with nonsense posts.

There are plenty of them i see many times at late at night posts

I guess nothing to do

Not like me im a early riser to do my cycling

I live in a tightly packed Soi ..lots of noise... my friends have complained... By a sort of accident I backed into a solution... I do not use Air Con - don't need it... but I like lots of air circulation even when sleeping... I have six fans in the bedroom / sitting room area... I like the 'white noise' noise produced by the fans ...and I rarely hear anything... Not even the 5:00 a.m. Muslim Mosque piped in morning prayers... barely notice them even when I get up to make coffee...

That's my solution...