Thai police trace steps of suspected Spanish killer

webfact

Police Trace Steps of Suspected Spanish Killer
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14550824841455082515l.jpg
A freezer seen Tuesday in a Soi Ramkhamhaeng 174 home rented by Spanish murder suspect, Artur Segarra, 36. Police believe he used it to store the remains of David Bernat.

BANGKOK — Police will seek court approval today to continue holding Spanish murder suspect Artur Segarra while they continue to build their case against him.

Though some evidence including the freezer police believe he used to store the remains of victim David Bernat was found Tuesday at a residence he rented, the 36-year-old suspect maintains he is innocent of killing and dismembering the 39-year-old fellow Spaniard, whose body parts were found in Bangkok’s Chao Phraya River.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1455082484

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-10

why run

Ohh come on leeneeds! If you saw your face posted on the news stating a manhunt for you was underway. Guilty or innocent, you would run. Especially in Thailand where guilt or innocence are the same if they want a case solved and done with.

I don't think so ! if i had witnesses with me as he did at the time of seeing his face on the t v , a call to a lawyer and go and meet and greet the local police would have been far sensible thing for him to do than running , bolting across the border , regardless heightens perceived guilt, and through all what we know so far as this starts to totally unravel, not very smart moves by him and girlfriend and who ever else will be tarnished. I have more faith obviously in the local police,( when handing your self in ) than you, in these circumstances.

why run

Ohh come on leeneeds! If you saw your face posted on the news stating a manhunt for you was underway. Guilty or innocent, you would run. Especially in Thailand where guilt or innocence are the same if they want a case solved and done with.

I don't think so ! if i had witnesses with me as he did at the time of seeing his face on the t v , a call to a lawyer and go and meet and greet the local police would have been far sensible thing for him to do than running , bolting across the border , regardless heightens perceived guilt, and through all what we know so far as this starts to totally unravel, not very smart moves by him and girlfriend and who ever else will be tarnished. I have more faith obviously in the local police,( when handing your self in ) than you, in these circumstances.

Yep, meet and great would be the way to go, along with the appropriate well filled brown paper bag.. should work...

why run

Yep, meet and great would be the way to go, along with the appropriate well filled brown paper bag.. should work...

I think the difference here is your" pessimism" is based on n internal conviction that you have no control over events which occur erratically and without any particular pattern.

Where myself being an optimist, Both oringinate in the subconscious , pattern recognition acquired mainly through life experiences, maybe a need to get in touch with your inner self wisdom and absorb a few important insights. " he was in control when seeing his face on the t v " and showed his pessimism by running

I think the difference here is your" pessimism" is based on n internal conviction that you have no control over events which occur erratically and without any particular pattern.

Where myself being an optimist, Both oringinate in the subconscious , pattern recognition acquired mainly through life experiences, maybe a need to get in touch with your inner self wisdom and absorb a few important insights. " he was in control when seeing his face on the t v " and showed his pessimism by running

Ask yourself what the average Thai would do, a decision presumably also based on their "life experiences".

Personally I don't blame Thai suspects that do run or hide and I don't think it necessarily indicates guilt one way or the other.

In some other countries I would think differently.

This case remains very fishy to me........Where's the money ?

Exactly, I suspect the GF has spent this on lunches for the boys, they get pretty hungry toting her around from Surin to BK and to and from the crime scenes.

I think she is a very smart girl who knows where the knives were dumped and many other things about this crime, Im glad to see the BIB rewarding such knowledge and at the same time saying that only Artur was involved in this insane slaying.

I dont think Art had much chance of spending a few million BHT in a day or so and must have given the GF some money, after all she would have held her hand out as she was with him withdrawing it at ATM's.

But given that she is Thai I sincerely see that she could not possibly be involved in such a nasty crime, we all know Thais do not do these things.

Why did the RTP previously state that they suspected a Thai gang were also involved, and why has that changed?..... Most strange.

The cambodian news paper yesterday said that they had handed several people over to Thai authorities including Artur and the bK bomb suspect, very strange as he was arrested trying to escape to cambodia.

Also strange no follow up on others involved, case over.

Strange that the few million BHT Art and his nicely tattoed GF withdrew from Atms is not mentioned, is this the reason she was not involved,has knowledge of where Art dumped the cutting tools, was seen leaving condo with Arty at time of murder, she's Thai of course and just a poor old innocent girl with a heap of knowledge about the crime and the money.

What money ? she said----- clap2.gif

PS, she was told don't open the freezer! bet she took a peek.whistling.gif

Edited by kiwikeith

Why did the RTP previously state that they suspected a Thai gang were also involved, and why has that changed?..... Most strange.

Deliberate attempt by the police to throw the TV sluthes into a state of confusion......is it working yet??? rolleyes.gif

Last article I read said that the accused had received 37M baht in bank transfers from the deceased and there was a photo of the accused using the guy's ATM card.

If that's true, his story of "I knew him but I didn't kill him" is missing a few details, 37 million of them.

Unlikely it's just a coincidence all that money went into his account and his acquaintance ends up dead, dismembered and scattered around Bangkok. .

Criminal Court orders Artur Segarra detained for another 12 days

287-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday (Wednesday) approved the police request to detain Spanish murder suspect for another 12 days pending further interrogation of more witnesses.

Police said they need to question 20 more witnesses and are waiting for results of examination of fingerprints of the suspect, Artur Segarra Princep, and other evidences.

Police also raised their objection against bail for the suspect on the ground that he may escape out of the country and the case carries high penalties.

Artur Segarra was accused of killing his fellow national, David Bernat, dismembering his body and dumping the body parts into the Chao Phraya river to cover up the gruesome crime.

It was reported that 37 million baht was wired twice from Bernat’s bank accounts in Singapore to Segarra’s accounts.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150416

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-11

He was arrested in Charlie Harpers in Sihanokville .

Bangkok Murder Suspect Artur Segarra Arrested In Sihanoukville
Published on 7th February 2016 by Stickboy BKK

Cambodian authorities have captured Artur Segarra, the main suspect in the kidnap and murder of David Bernat in Bangkok last month, on Sunday night at guesthouse in Sihanoukville.

Early reports say the 36-year-old was arrested at around 7.40pm on Sunday at Charlie Harper’s Bar located in central Sihanoukville with local media sharing details of his passport number and Cambodian visa dated 8th Oct 2015.

He will be transferred to the immigration department on Monday morning where he will likely be dealt with in a speedy manner for entering the country illegally before being handed over to Thai police for questioning relating to his role in the murder of David Bernat whose dismembered body was discovered in the Chao Phraya river last week.

Thai media have reported they have evidence against Segarra including where he held his victim captive for several days following his disappearance on 20th January.

A statement from his girlfriend Pridsana Seanubon also implicates Segarra in the murder.

During questioning on Saturday she told investigators her boyfriend of six months was responsible for kidnapping and killing Bernat before chopping him up and disposing of the body parts at various locations on the Chao Phraya river.

Photo Credits: Huy Bunleng / Preah Sihanouk Police

not posting the link to stickboys site ...... last time it gave sinbad a little shock with a re-direct to gaydar .

Good question. News reports have been very vague. I think most of it (฿37 million) is still in Bernat's account in Singapore. Isn't there a limit of something like ฿50,000 a day that you can withdraw from ATMs? That means it would take 20 days to withdraw one million baht.

Good question. News reports have been very vague. I think most of it (฿37 million) is still in Bernat's account in Singapore. Isn't there a limit of something like ฿50,000 a day that you can withdraw from ATMs? That means it would take 20 days to withdraw one million baht.

It would depend on the preset limit of the card he was using to withdraw from But from what I have read there isn't enough information about where the money in Singapore was transferred to.

But e.g. Kasikorn ATM cards have a maximum daily cash withdrawal limit of THB200K. However there is an overall maximum daily limit of THB1M (actually 999,999) so if the guy had another 4 accounts at KBank (could be in anyone's name) then theoretically he could withdraw THB1M cash per day by doing an ATM transfer of 200K to each of those 4 accounts.

He would spend a fair bit of his day in front of ATM's though.

One report I read says there were two transfers each of 37 million BHT to Arturs account, don't know which is true, Artur is said to have withdrawn some of the money here in LOS totalling an undisclosed amount of several million.

The GF was with him during some of these withdrawels, so where is the several million BHT now??? GF cleared by police of involvement even though she knows about the disposal of the knives,the freezer and the ATM withdrawels.

Sounds like some loot may have been placed into those brown things, in order to jolt the GF's memory and clear her and the other Thai man that drove Artur to ATM's in his pickup, I wonder how much his gas bill was???.

I believe Artur was heavily involved in this crime. Hard evidence shows him withdrawing the money from the ATMs, that much is undeniably clear.

However if he takes the SOLE rap for this then that is very, very fishy. He had local accomplices and police have admitted as much. If he goes down for this alone then you just know it will be "See it was the crazy farang, No Thai would do such a thing, come here tourists and spend your money, you are safe" etc.

Edited by mrrizzla

This seems to be degenerating from a job well done, into a farce... The man certainly appeared far more guilty , whilst being a tattooed foreigner on the run, than now.

Now he appears cool and calm, and no were near as sinister as some previous pictures have shown (or perhaps resigned to his fate... I can't decide)

The ATM photos, only show a picture at an ATM, not what account was being used, and following the cash, doesn't seem to be a major draw card anymore.

Yes... The Cambodians arrested the man, per a Thai request, then relinquished the suspect to the Thai gendarme's, who don't appear to have done likewise, and arrested him, otherwise I would have thought that the headline would be about a bail hearing verses a request to keep the man in custody ( and yes, I did read that bail was discussed, but seemingly as an aside)

Undoubtedly I have missed something or other in translation, or in the frequent updates, which others may have seen, but it seems to me that this has become an ever changing story bereft of fact

A proper post mortem should be able to determine if the body parts were frozen, and DNA should tell if the freezer referred to was used... So I suppose it is now a waiting game to see what forensics and torture come up with... Oops... I meant forensics and interrogation (obviously), but as I am neither cop or CSI, I won't be holding my breath

The police has done a good job in this case. That's not often though.

I agree. The next time somebody runs down Thai police, lets think of the Sergeant in Canada that got something like $800,000 while suspended and the latest blunder by the Ontario Provincial Police in a high profile murder and apparent incineration of the body. This is real comedy http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/tim-bosma-trial-trailer-with-truck-left-unsecured-during-police-transport/ar-BBpm3zU?li=AAggNb9