Awfull Chinese drivers in CNX, beware.

davehowden

A number of posts and replies have been removed as per violation of this forum rule:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant by saying that the NZ police dont always react to a complaint immediately (If there is only one complaint) is that they take all things into consideration...ie it may be a bogus complaint or someone being over zealous of the laws (Which opens another discussion, the police take false complaints very seriously).

If the switchboard however lights up with several complaints/notifications of a road hazard (ie poor driver) then a greater priority is accorded their attention.

Its a bit like triage of wounded soldiers on a battlefield....who has the greatest threat to their life gets the most attention. The NZ Police have limited manpower, hence why things like burglary are accorded a very low priority (Which annoys the crap out of the victims).

But anyways back to the OP, the Chinese are in general terrible drivers no matter what the reason. I am always on extra alert when I see them on the road, be it as pedestrians, motorcy riders or on bicycles....they are more unpredictable than a spooked sheep in a shearing shed.

If TAT has it's predictions right (and I'm sure they do), then we should see almost a doubling of Chinese tourists on the streets next season and a doubling of that the following season.

I like this a lot and look forward to witnessing the impact it has on the Thai psyche both on and off the roads.

The next wave of tourists may be the Indians.

That will give one cause to take their deck chair to the curbs for a front row seat in the "Road Warrior Theater".

In the Philippines and especially in the outlying areas its the drunk villagers that you have to be very wary of.

They have more rights than any driver and if one should happen to stumble into the path of your vehicle....not only are they likely to get injured but you as a driver are hit up for all costs. Very weird and stuffed up set of rules. This is not only imposed on foreigners but also local people.

Heaven forbid should the drunken sod die, then (And a bit like Thailand) that sod becomes the most important breadwinner not just of his family but also his extended family.

In that regard, road rules in the Phils are tough to comprehend. It appears the roads are not designed just for vehicles but all and sundry with humans and animals having more rights to the road than drivers.

I lived in the Philippines for a few years and even my landlady got caught out when a drunken lout staggered out of the bush at night into the path of her 4x4. She managed to swerve and just clipped him. Long story short...she had to pay all medical costs, luckily it was only a 2 days stay for this guy in hospital. He was also know by the police to do this quite often.

I dont think the Chinese are quite as bad but they (The Chinese) do appear like opposums caught in the headlights, at times.

Can't say I've encountered them in Nong Hoi. Plenty of Chinese at the Holiday Inn, but they all come in on the humungous tour buses.

Don't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist. It's just population control and Darwinism at work.

Personally, I'd rather be involved in an accident with a Chinese. Firstly because I would only speak Thai to them. Secondly, because it's more likely the BiB would be more even-handed in apportioning blame.

However, I am somewhat baffled how the OP and other posters can distinguish a Chinese motorist from a Thai motorist. Somebody let me in on the secret, please.

They have blue plates on their cars. Not that difficult coffee1.gif

And the driver sits on the wrong side.

Well come to Chiang Mai after May 23rd. You won't be seeing any more blue plates then as they are about to be restricted, including being banned from driving outside of the border province entered.

1. Getting extra paperwork and paying a fee is NOTHING to them. There will be a service to do it for them. There is a service for everything in China, mostly because the Chinese work a lot and don't have time to deal with things themselves, so they pay others to do it.

2. If it's even enforced. Nothing else is.

Look out!!

Well, yes, whether on my m'bike or in the car, I'm trying to look everywhichway in order to avoid an accident. Oddly, I never have time to look at other drivers in order to see if they're Chinese or Martians! I focus on vehicles (+pedestrians) near and far as best as I can.

But to those of you who can peer into the windows the cars all around you for ethnicity while piloting in today's increasingly hectic traffic, my helmet's off - or would be if I didn't intend to keep it on. After all, it is what it is.

PS If Thailand truly wants to stop or reduce Chinese cars/drivers, they should mandate personal applications made at CM Immigration for their permits.

Edited by CMX

• 2 months later...

in general chit chat with a friend today we both commented on the reduction in Chinese tourists on the road.

Coincidentally the Bangkok Post has an article today on this and its flow on effect to Chiang Mai tourism, economy, and employment.

I have always had a bit of wonderment at statistics in Thailand. Sometimes entertaining, sometimes questionable, and sometimes a fantasy (thank you TAT).

The Post is suggesting that since the June 27 changes for Chinese vehicles entering Thailand, border crossings through CR (and then mainly onward to CM) are down from 600 per day to 10 per day.

The article suggested that vehicles on average had 3 passengers who were spending 5000 baht each day facepalm.gif

Local CM tourism honcho is looking at 3000 to 5000 job losses in the next 3 months.

Guess not a good time to get your income from, or work for, 7/11 whistling.gif

Coincidentally the Bangkok Post has an article today on this and its flow on effect to Chiang Mai tourism, economy, and employment.

The Post is suggesting that since the June 27 changes for Chinese vehicles entering Thailand, border crossings through CR (and then mainly onward to CM) are down from 600 per day to 10 per day.

The article suggested that vehicles on average had 3 passengers who were spending 5000 baht each day facepalm.gif

Local CM tourism honcho is looking at 3000 to 5000 job losses in the next 3 months.

Som.. nam.. na.. as they say.

Like leaving free money on the table for no clear benefit, as any Chinese tourist can rent a car locally just fine. (With them likely being less careful with a rental than their own.)

Keep stabbin' at that goose now..

19735004-killing-the-golden-goose.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Individual travelers by car is exactly what Thailand needs, they are the quality tourists they were targeting, so now they lose 590 cars a day of high spending tourists. How stupid can you be...

Well good luck then with the organized tours of high rollers.

in general chit chat with a friend today we both commented on the reduction in Chinese tourists on the road.

I have always had a bit of wonderment at statistics in Thailand. Sometimes entertaining, sometimes questionable, and sometimes a fantasy (thank you TAT).

Guess not a good time to get your income from, or work for, 7/11 whistling.gif

Most of the Chinese drivers come during specific (extended) Chinese holidays, which is not now. That's when the cars pour in, not now. But I don't expect the locals to figure that out anytime soon.

Individual travelers by car is exactly what Thailand needs, they are the quality tourists they were targeting, so now they lose 590 cars a day of high spending tourists. How stupid can you be...

The majority of the cars come from Yunnan Province.

Let us also clear up Chinese money. Many of them became filthy rich overnight when the government bought their land and home to make way for development.

So you have farmers with little education and or social manners and literally turned into wealthy people overnight, in some cases multi millionaires. They dress in expensive clothes, buy nice cars, stay in nice hotels, then poop in the moat. There are lots of these types. They xome on their own and in tour groups.

The average Chinese saves money to go on holiday and will spend every bit of it, per their plan. Cost isn't an object, that's what they planned for. Not rich, but they save. Generally good tourists. Also come independently and in groups.

The true rich and cultured are buying property, starting businesses, and staying in 5 star hotels / resorts, or their own condos, and not riding around on scooters or pooping in the moat. They are independent travelers.

Unfortunately, the moat poopers give everyone else a bad name.

apart from the Chinese drivers' brains not knowing which hemisphere their brain sparks emanate from

- consider also that a Chinese car's steering wheel is placed on the Offside from normal...

double trouble

Let us also clear up Chinese money. Many of them became filthy rich overnight when the government bought their land and home to make way for development.

So you have farmers with little education and or social manners and literally turned into wealthy people overnight, in some cases multi millionaires. They dress in expensive clothes, buy nice cars, stay in nice hotels, then poop in the moat. There are lots of these types. They xome on their own and in tour groups.

The average Chinese saves money to go on holiday and will spend every bit of it, per their plan. Cost isn't an object, that's what they planned for. Not rich, but they save. Generally good tourists. Also come independently and in groups.

The true rich and cultured are buying property, starting businesses, and staying in 5 star hotels / resorts, or their own condos, and not riding around on scooters or pooping in the moat. They are independent travelers.

Was that the moat pooper who turned out to be Thai?

some of them staying in 3 and 4 star hotels in C.M. and C.R. were defecating on the grounds of the hotel/resort properties. this has been well reported as well as the motor homes camping on temple grounds, people defecating on temple grounds, washing their dishes using the temple's water supply.... good riddance.

Those articles from the BP and the Phuket gazette are confusing me totally...

600 car per day dropping to 10 or 0? Where were they going? They stayed in Chiang Rai province?

I have literally not seen a single blue plate in Chiang Mai since Feb - March this year whereas they were everywhere before February..

Anyone has any detail on what happened between March and July?

600 car per day dropping to 10 or 0? Where were they going? They stayed in Chiang Rai province?

I have literally not seen a single blue plate in Chiang Mai since Feb - March this year whereas they were everywhere before February..

they were going to C.M., Sukhothai, Bangkok, and onward to Phuket, etc. the new law forbid them from traveling beyond the Changwat of entry. and even then they had to apply in advance, and go through a lot of paperwork. what happened? law was enforced.

some of them staying in 3 and 4 star hotels in C.M. and C.R. were defecating on the grounds of the hotel/resort properties. this has been well reported as well as the motor homes camping on temple grounds, people defecating on temple grounds, washing their dishes using the temple's water supply.... good riddance.

Those would be the people who probably came from poverty but lucked into money.

they were going to C.M., Sukhothai, Bangkok, and onward to Phuket, etc. the new law forbid them from traveling beyond the Changwat of entry. and even then they had to apply in advance, and go through a lot of paperwork. what happened? law was enforced.

What happened? Wait until a big Chinese holiday where they all travel and let's revisit this topic. Right now it's not high travel season for them, thus fewer tourists and even less cars coming from China. Maybe it will be enforced long term but we'll see when the cars actually come.

After March this year I do not really believe they were going to Chiang Mai.

I drive 4 time a day on Huay Keaw Road which goes from Old City to Doi Suthep and haven't seen a Chinese car in 5-6 months so my question still stands...

After March this year I do not really believe they were going to Chiang Mai.

I drive 4 time a day on Huay Keaw Road which goes from Old City to Doi Suthep and haven't seen a Chinese car in 5-6 months so my question still stands...

they can't drive in C.M. as it's not a point of entry. Chiang Rai is. what is there not too understand? read the article again (published in a number of publications recently).

That's what I heard as well, from a Thai friend. The law was already in place, but largely waived as a gesture of goodwill. But there were too many problems with these Chinese drivers, so the government decide to enforce.

That's what I heard as well, from a Thai friend. The law was already in place, but largely waived as a gesture of goodwill. But there were too many problems with these Chinese drivers, so the government decide to enforce.

they said on the news that when they crossed the border, more than 1/2 didn't know to drive on the opposite side of the road, and many sped out on the wrong side and almost hit children playing in the area. hard to imagine so many didn't research that they drive on the opposite side of the road here. they almost hit pedestrians as well. supposedly it was chaos.

they said on the news that when they crossed the border, more than 1/2 didn't know to drive on the opposite side of the road, and many sped out on the wrong side and almost hit children playing in the area. hard to imagine so many didn't research that they drive on the opposite side of the road here. they almost hit pedestrians as well. supposedly it was chaos.

It will be interesting when they all start playing Pokemon Go when it hits Thailand.

I still see them but less, more paperwork for them and not worth the trouble and Thailand got what they wanted less Chinese with money and more 0 baht Chinese.