Awfull Chinese drivers in CNX, beware.

davehowden

So, I was at the pedestrian traffic light on the moat near DK Books just now, waiting for some Western tourists to cross the road, and they were inches away from being hit head on by some idiot motorbike driver speeding straight through the red light at very high speed; Thai or Shan no doubt.

As long as the Thai traffic statistics are what they are, I think some humility is in order before blaming any other country.

On Thailand's roads, Darwin has met his match.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I've encountered them in Nong Hoi. Plenty of Chinese at the Holiday Inn, but they all come in on the humungous tour buses.

Don't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist. It's just population control and Darwinism at work.

Personally, I'd rather be involved in an accident with a Chinese. Firstly because I would only speak Thai to them. Secondly, because it's more likely the BiB would be more even-handed in apportioning blame.

However, I am somewhat baffled how the OP and other posters can distinguish a Chinese motorist from a Thai motorist. Somebody let me in on the secret, please.

large blue numberplates ;)

The vids by 2020 pretty much sum it all up. There's no concept of perception or awareness or sense to slow down or to even stop.

With about 90% accuracy, I can spot the Chinese that are driving rented motorbikes... They seem to be issued standard looking helmets for one, they wear clothes uncharacteristic of Thais and they drive senselessly, turning and stoping where ever they want. They're reading paper maps or using large phone while driving all clues and giveaways.

Having said that... I have had many more close calls with Thais on motorcycles passing me at retarded speeds for the conditions. There is no doubt in my mind why brain injuries are one of the major causes of deaths and why motorcycle fatalities are so high here.
The same no concept of perception or awareness or sense to slow down applies even more so to them.

My defensive driving skills have been sharpened 3 years driving here... IF or when I return to farangland, I will either be arrested for my aggressive driving or I will survive anything because of my "skills" learned here.

My friend living in Pai tells me they are just as bad there.

I first realized what kind of drivers they were in the early 70s when I first went to Vancouver B C,

I was in Pai last week and whilst drinking a coffee near a set of lights we had a laugh at the antics of the Chinese , 2 cars stopped at the red light then the front driver got out to chat to the one behind, Then about 5 in solo form where walking up the road dragging there cases and wandering in the road like it was a pavement, then 2 more on scooters stopped to chat side by side 10m from the same lights, amazing.

There was a convoy of them today,Audi,BMW, Huge Toyota trucks,hazard lights flashing,don't know

if to warn other drivers they are coming, or for them to get out of their way.spotted a Chinese plated

Bentley Continental parked at the condos behind Big C on super highway,so i think safe to say not

a real communist country any more.

regards worgeordie

I know that this may seem crude and perhaps even rude, however, what happens if a Chinese national does something that pushes you over the edge and you get into a fight a smack him around a bit.

I'm not saying beat the living crappie outta him, you understand.

I currently work in Korea but have called Laos home since 2006. A falang will come up on the short end regardless of circumstances if they smack around a Lao in Laos. It's the same for a farang in Thailand regarding Thai and for foreigners (Waygooks) in Korea with Koreans.

I saw a Korean slapping his girlfriend around in Laos and belted him. He threatened to get the cops and in Korea I'd have been screwed. In Laos it was of course no problem.

So what would happen in Thailand if a falang smacked a Chinese.

I'm going to China in 3 weeks to work. I'll be a good little foreigner whilst there.

Can't say I've encountered them in Nong Hoi. Plenty of Chinese at the Holiday Inn, but they all come in on the humungous tour buses.

Don't understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist. It's just population control and Darwinism at work.

Personally, I'd rather be involved in an accident with a Chinese. Firstly because I would only speak Thai to them. Secondly, because it's more likely the BiB would be more even-handed in apportioning blame.

However, I am somewhat baffled how the OP and other posters can distinguish a Chinese motorist from a Thai motorist. Somebody let me in on the secret, please.

large blue numberplates ;)

Plus the fact Thais look nothing like Chinese.

The vids by 2020 pretty much sum it all up. There's no concept of perception or awareness or sense to slow down or to even stop.

With about 90% accuracy, I can spot the Chinese that are driving rented motorbikes... They seem to be issued standard looking helmets for one, they wear clothes uncharacteristic of Thais and they drive senselessly, turning and stoping where ever they want. They're reading paper maps or using large phone while driving all clues and giveaways.

Having said that... I have had many more close calls with Thais on motorcycles passing me at retarded speeds for the conditions. There is no doubt in my mind why brain injuries are one of the major causes of deaths and why motorcycle fatalities are so high here.

The same no concept of perception or awareness or sense to slow down applies even more so to them.

My defensive driving skills have been sharpened 3 years driving here... IF or when I return to farangland, I will either be arrested for my aggressive driving or I will survive anything because of my "skills" learned here.

Surely to receive a brain injury, one would need to possess one in the first place?

I live and drive in CM but I have just spent 4 days in a provincial 'small' city in Guangzhou province of around 3.6m population. Bigger than CM, much bigger roads, so seems less traffic. Both Thais and Chinese drivers are not up to western standards and they break exactly the same rules. Both still better than India and Vietnam where rules don't exist for anything. But I did spot one big difference. The Thais go at silly speeds, the chinese in that city drive much much slower especially at junctions where there aren't many rules for motocycles it seems... bit like Thailand. In CM too I find they are much slower so u can spot them, avoid them or expect the unexpected. With Thais you only notice them after a close shave.

It's just my theory, but if I see riders wearing hire shop helmets (bearing stickers with large numbers) I presume that they are Chinese kids on a hired motorbike and promptly get right out of the way and off the road asap if I'm walking! Not so sure about where you live but where I am the local Thais are not that big on wearing helmets.

I know that this may seem crude and perhaps even rude, however, what happens if a Chinese national does something that pushes you over the edge and you get into a fight a smack him around a bit.

I currently work in Korea but have called Laos home since 2006. A falang will come up on the short end regardless of circumstances if they smack around a Lao in Laos. It's the same for a farang in Thailand regarding Thai and for foreigners (Waygooks) in Korea with Koreans.

I saw a Korean slapping his girlfriend around in Laos and belted him. He threatened to get the cops and in Korea I'd have been screwed. In Laos it was of course no problem.

I'm going to China in 3 weeks to work. I'll be a good little foreigner whilst there.

Picking a fight with a Chinese could only result in serious injury because they all know Kung <deleted>! Just the threat of using their skills is enough to scare hardened criminals away!

You have been warned...

Picking a fight with a Chinese could only result in serious injury because they all know Kung <deleted>! Just the threat of using their skills is enough to scare hardened criminals away!

You have been warned...

I love it! Even "Kung &lt;deleted&gt;" gets censored laugh.png

You have been warned...

I love it! Even "Kung <deleted>" gets censored laugh.png

Unbelievable, the did they censor Kung &lt;deleted&gt;! What is wrong with kung &lt;deleted&gt;? I'll see if not using capitals helps kung &lt;deleted&gt; avoid the &lt;deleted&gt; getting &lt;deleted&gt;'ed. My name when I was working in China was Ming Fa, I wonder if the Fa will cause as much offence as &lt;deleted&gt;, as in kung &lt;deleted&gt;. Ming Fa or kung &lt;deleted&gt;, we will see who the winner is.

And to keep the topic on topic, I found the Chinese drivers in China the worst in the world, and their skills have transferred here very conveniently, but I haven't been to every country.

&lt;deleted&gt; or fa, that is the question.

You have been warned...

Unbelievable, the did they censor Kung <deleted>! What is wrong with kung <deleted>? I'll see if not using capitals helps kung <deleted> avoid the <deleted> getting <deleted>'ed. My name when I was working in China was Ming Fa, I wonder if the Fa will cause as much offence as <deleted>, as in kung <deleted>. Ming Fa or kung <deleted>, we will see who the winner is.

And to keep the topic on topic, I found the Chinese drivers in China the worst in the world, and their skills have transferred here very conveniently, but I haven't been to every country.

<deleted> or fa, that is the question.

w00t.gifcrazy.giffacepalm.gifcheesy.gif

10 points only - they're not worth much

You have been warned...

Unbelievable, the did they censor Kung <deleted>! What is wrong with kung <deleted>? I'll see if not using capitals helps kung <deleted> avoid the <deleted> getting <deleted>'ed. My name when I was working in China was Ming Fa, I wonder if the Fa will cause as much offence as <deleted>, as in kung <deleted>. Ming Fa or kung <deleted>, we will see who the winner is.

<deleted> or fa, that is the question.

w00t.gifcrazy.giffacepalm.gifcheesy.gif

FA is sweet laugh.png

• 1 month later...

They have blue plates on their cars. Not that difficult coffee1.gif

And the driver sits on the wrong side.

Well come to Chiang Mai after May 23rd. You won't be seeing any more blue plates then as they are about to be restricted, including being banned from driving outside of the border province entered.

The common consensus while I was growing up in New York that the worst drivers were Chinese and from New Jersey

The common consensus can be completely insane.

There was a common consensus about things in the Jim Crow South. There was a common consensus on people in 1930's Germany. It goes on.

What you can say is that when people drive in a town they don't know, mistakes are made. That applies just as much to holidaymakers from Bangkok. Or Western backpackers on mopeds, for that matter.

Well come to Chiang Mai after May 23rd. You won't be seeing any more blue plates then as they are about to be restricted, including being banned from driving outside of the border province entered.

I really hope this is enforced (which I suspect it will be - at least for a while). Hopefully they will kick out the motorists already here. They are the worst divers I have ever seen.

I really hope this is enforced (which I suspect it will be - at least for a while). Hopefully they will kick out the motorists already here. They are the worst divers I have ever seen.

It has been entered into law, so it will be permanent, just like Chinese laws on not allowing foreign registered vehicles in aren't simply seasonal or short-term, they are permanent too. Thailand also hasn't been happy about the lack of reciprocity, so don't expect this to be anything other than a long-term solution. It also wouldn't be possible to change it without another change in the law, which simply isn't going to happen after the many months of planning on implementing this law.

Exceptions will apply only to vehicles registered in countries with which Thailand has existing reciprocal agreements, including Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. Exceptions will also apply to local vehicles traveling near the border coming from Cambodia and Myanmar.

It's very easy to enforce because without advance permission, they [the Chinese] simply won't be allowed to leave Laos for Thailand. Entry via Myanmar has never been possible without going on a tour inside Myanmar either.

We will see the results very soon, although already since early March I have only seen 2 Chinese plates in Thailand (one was parked on the 3rd floor of the Bangkok City Suites Hotel on Petchaburi road), a far cry from the many dozens I saw in February, including 33 in one day on February 15, an all-time record. I'm wondering if they're already restricted now, or if it's simply a case of low season and therefore they aren't coming as much (unlike the free for all during CNY)?

The maximum time they will be allowed to stay will be 30 days - I suspect there could be a transition period between May 23rd for the next couple of weeks after that - existing Chinese cars that enter under the old system prior to May 23rd will be allowed to stay until their 30 days is up (with no extensions allowed), while new ones will be restricted from entering. This means you might still see a few Chinese cars until early to mid-June after which they will all be gone.

Anyway, I'm going to be so happy once all of these blue plates are off Thai roads. They really should never have been allowed on Thai roads to begin with. Also, Thailand is one of the only governments that has let them in without being afforded reciprocal privileges going the other way. I have never understood that. Look at India, Vietnam and Myanmar. Neither country allows Chinese vehicles in and never has. Very limited exceptions apply to rally type tours, but they require a lot of bureaucratic red tape, a police escort, local travel agent etc. India probably doesn't allow them in at all. About a year ago Vietnam even refused entry to 100 Chinese cars coming on a rally despite meeting all the initial entry requirements, simply because it was too many vehicles at once and there was a serious risk of accidents, not to mention inconvenience to local road users.

Thailand has finally woken up and I support the decision of the Thai Land Transport Department 110%. I wish I could have a beer with it's head, Mr. Sanit Promwong.

I think he's our new hero.

Archived