Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

I am very confused by this new requirement and the documents scanned haven't really provided me with more clarity.

Garro,

In the past were many posts on this topic already. I agree that it's confusing because a lot of posters post different things. I'll try to make it more clear for you. All information below is supported by official documents of the Teachers' Council of Thailand.

Instead of local departments of the Ministry of Education, the central Teacher's Council of Thailand will be responsible for the issue of Teacher Licenses. The TCT has set requirements for teachers to get their Teacher License. In this post I like to focus on holders of a B.A. or B.Sc. only.

Information is here: http://www.ksp.or.th/upload/301/files/570-8429.pdf

Teachers with a B.A. or B.Sc. must:

1: do a Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course http://www.ksp.or.th/upload/301/files/1631-3779.pdf

2: pass 4 tests http://foreprof.ksp.or.th/foreign-test.pdf

1:

Several Rajabhat Universities are offering this course. Prices are between 3,500 THB and 8,000 THB

2:

The tests are derived from current B.Ed. or Graduate Diploma in Education courses. Not every degree holder is able to pass all tests. I doubt whether I passed all tests (600 questions). I have a M.Sc. in Technical Management, a TEFL-certificate and 6 years teaching experience in Thailand. So, if teachers want to pass, they should IMO study. For this they have two choices: 1: study themselves or 2: go to school. The latter is the thing that Rajabhat Lopburi is offering to Mezcal's school.

I hope that it is more clear now.

Petch01

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks petch1, that seems a bit clearer.

I plan to go back to full-time teaching next term.

I am currently studying for a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (distance learning) which will be complete by the end of the year. Do you think that this will be accepted instead of these four exams.

Is there a grace period or will they now not issue a licence prior to meeting requirements.

I suppose that I could do the culture course, as it is quite short and not too expensive, prior to next term.

I am not expecting a difinitive answer here but would appreciate advice.

I am currently studying for a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (distance learning) which will be complete by the end of the year. Do you think that this will be accepted instead of these four exams.

100 % accepted. You'll be more than fine. It's written in Clause 3 Part 2 in this TCT document http://www.ksp.or.th/upload/301/files/570-8429.pdf

It seems, Garro, that in several provinces and in the capitol, Service Areas of the Ministry of Education are sending letters to schools that foreign teachers MUST attend the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.

So, that's the first step to take.

I think that as of soon, teachers have to submit a document, to Labour and/or Immigration, which proves that steps have been taken to meet the requirements set by TCT. If you want, you can call this the grace period. Combining opinions from other teachers on several forums, articles I read, and common sense, I think the grace period will be finished on 17 June 2009. This is 3 years after the document above was introduced.

Petch01

Interesting how thye Rajabaht course went from 28,000 baht 4 years ago to 80,000 now. At that time, we were asked to do the course (to get the 15 education credits we were supposed to have). Instead, I decided to do a GradDipEd (by distance through UNE in Australia). I spread that over 4 years and get my paperwork in May, after graduation in April. Next I will do the Thai culture/Ethics course in March.

I would suggest that teachers just sit the exams off the bat to see if you can pass. If it's too difficult, then you should do the Raja course. I assume that will cover the material presented in the tests. If I didn't do my course I wouldn't know much about educational theory - Piaget, Vygotsky, Bloom, Doyle, etc.

Such a shame at the end of the day when we have all these qualified teachers, but the Thai education system will still be in a shambles.

Instead, I decided to do a GradDipEd (by distance through UNE in Australia). I spread that over 4 years and get my paperwork in May, after graduation in April.

Congratulations :D :D . Twofold. One for doing it abroad. Secondly because you passed. I envy you :o .

Such a shame at the end of the day when we have all these qualified teachers, but the Thai education system will still be in a shambles.

With all due respect, I don't agree. I see rapid changes starting soon.

Too off-topic to write about.

Petch01

umm, the pink elephant in the room is that THEY WANT YOU TO LEAVE!! isnt it obvious? these requirements accomplish next to nothing in terms of the quality of education in thailand. what their supposed implementation does most definitely underscore is the fact that foreign teachers are basically being told to go elsewhere.

umm, the pink elephant in the room is that THEY WANT YOU TO LEAVE!! isnt it obvious? these requirements accomplish next to nothing in terms of the quality of education in thailand. what their supposed implementation does most definitely underscore is the fact that foreign teachers are basically being told to go elsewhere.

That they may be telling unqualified teachers (by their definition) to go elsewhere is a distinct possibility. Where there is a very significant disconnect is in what they are willing to pay for qualified teachers (by their definition). They will never be able to fill the resulting vacancies with qualified teachers (by their definition) until they raise the salaries.

UNLESS, they do what Korea is considering doing and that is hiring qualified teachers (by their definition) in huge numbers from countries such as the Philippines and India.

This would change the formula considerably and they may just get the qualified teachers (by their definition) they are seeking. :o

Thailand wants CHEAP teachers who are overqualified by the pay standards. When a farang teacher in their first 2 or 3 years here subtracts moving expenses, visa runs (up to 12 time zones away), a visit to a blood relative once every 2 or 3 years, months of missed salary (even in their fifth year of full time work), etc., some farang are not even earning an average of 17K per month legally, while their Thai teacher bosses and fellow Thai teachers make up to 50K per month legally, plus perks like pensions .

So, to bring this rant more on topic, they should PAY us 8000 baht and give us a paid leave of absence to learn the recipe for Thai food, names of instruments, and how high the Thais should wai us. I recall waiing teachers who were 25 years younger than myself.

UNLESS, they do what Korea is considering doing and that is hiring qualified teachers (by their definition) in huge numbers from countries such as the Philippines and India.

This would change the formula considerably and they may just get the qualified teachers (by their definition) they are seeking. :o

Mark my words this is what is going to happen if these rules are enforced. There would be very very few farang teachers in Private/Government schools, here. The excuse is that the qualified farang are scarce on the ground and too expensive, so we must employ Philipinos. Besides, why would a farang with a BEd even want to work for 30K in a government school teaching 50 kids??

this proposal is just too funny if you ask me. employed teachers pay exorbitant sums of money to learn useless stuff at pathetic excuses for institutions of higher learning. theres no logic or strategy involved whatsoever. it could not be more transparent whats really going here.

the end result will be that proper schools will essentially have to pay an extra "fee" to employ teachers. quasi schools may attempt to play this ridiculous game but will more than likely just settle for asian subs. shitty schools will forget about hiring foreigners altogether. final cause: less education at higher costs. thailand continues to lag behind regionally in every respect and overtakes cambodia in terms of regional incompetence.

perhaps its not an altogether poor concept for teachers to know something about the country theyre working in, but dear god, could it be more poorly undertaken? highly doubt it.

also, when are they actually going into affect? would be more than amusing for them to universally be applied come may!!! lol uproarious laughter across the land for sure.

Edited by samsara

Does anyone have a take on whether these new requirements affect university-level instructors? Or only teachers of Mathayom 12 and down?
PART 5

PRACTICE OF LICENSED PROFESSION

Section 43

The Profession of Teachers, Educational Institution Administrators and Education Administrators shall be a licensed Profession under this Act. Other licensed Professions shall be as stipulated in ministerial regulations.

No one shall practice a licensed Profession without a License under this Act, except in any of the following cases:

(1)Those occasionally providing knowledge to learners in any Educational Institution as guest educational lecturers;

(2)Those whose primary Profession does not relate to the teaching and learning process, but has the occasional duty to teach;

(3)Students, trainees or those with a practical training license apprenticing or training under the supervision of Professional Educators, subject to the criteria, procedures and conditions set forth by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board;

(4)Those arbitrarily offering educational courses;

(5)Those teaching in any learning center under the law governing national education or learning establishments arbitrarily operated by nonformal educational agencies, individuals, families, communities, community organizations, local administrative organizations, private organizations, Professional organizations, religious institutions, business establishments, hospitals, medical institutions, charitable shelters and other social institutions;

(6)Public and private instructors, Educational Institution Administrators and Education Administrators at the higher education level;

(7)Education Administrators of a level higher than educational districts;

(8)Other persons as designated by the Teachers Council of Thailand Board.

Here's your answer.

Petch01

Instead, I decided to do a GradDipEd (by distance through UNE in Australia). I spread that over 4 years and get my paperwork in May, after graduation in April.

Congratulations :D :D . Twofold. One for doing it abroad. Secondly because you passed. I envy you :o .

With all due respect, I don't agree. I see rapid changes starting soon.

Too off-topic to write about.

Petch01

i know its off topic but i cant resist...how do you see positives coming from this? there wont be any teachers left, petch. as in maybe 5-10% of what there is now. the only way ANY teacher would stay with this setup is if their employer pays the fees or raises the salary accordingly. both are not happening at 99.8% of the educating facilities in thailand. 99.5% wouldnt even consider it. only people with education degrees will be here. the real irony behind all this is that (no offense to anyone) people with education degrees arent typically the brightest light bulbs in the room. at least in america, education is essentially an "out" degree for those who cant hack something more difficult. so you lose your talented science/english/math teachers cause they didnt coast through uni and get an ed degree. what a farce.

Edited by samsara

so, is the 75,000 THB for a course with a Rajabaht at your school if you have a min of 15 teachers? This works out at 5K THB per teacher - makes a little more sense but TIT

I think that rate is PER TEACHER (that is the educational credits course, 6 months part time??). The Thai culture and Ethics course seems to range between 3500 - 10000 baht and spreads over a few days.

According to everything I've seen so far, those who hold a US teaching credential or the English PGCE will HAVE to take this course and exam, REGARDLESS of provable past educational qualifications. Am I correct?

My understanding is that if you are qualified to teach back home you are exempt from the exams (PGCE, teaching credential, BEd etc). Everyone has to do the Thai Culture course.

According to everything I've seen so far, those who hold a US teaching credential or the English PGCE will HAVE to take this course and exam, REGARDLESS of provable past educational qualifications. Am I correct?

Well petch01 was able to sit the exams without doing the course.

I am hoping that my PGCE, which will be complete by the end of the year, will mean I'm exempt.

Otherwise, I will study for the exams myself.

Quiting Thailand is not really an option for me.

Whatever goal they set I will try to meet.

I will not worry about it 'too mutt' though, as it might drive me gaga.

Well PB, at least some of the Luk Kreung will be able to communicate with with their fathers in tagalog.

Reading on TV recently, quite a few westerners are threatening to move to the Phillipines. :o

Sorry off topic

Even if Thailand did decide to go with just Thai/Filipino/Indian teachers there wouldn't be enough of them, and although those at the top might not care there are a lot of Thai people with more sense that would. Can you really see every language school and English program going bust?

I think that worse case scenario those of us who don't quite meet the grade will have to switch to tourist visas whilst we take take tests or study on weekends. Hopefully within the coming weeks they will make this clearer.

The other option is that the 60% of teachers currently teaching without WP's rises to 90% and when they realise how ridiculous that is they other change the rules or more likely just stop enforcing them. They'd have to have a task force of thousands working 7 days a week to deport everyone.

Edited by withnail

My understanding is that if you are qualified to teach back home you are exempt from the exams (PGCE, teaching credential, BEd etc). Everyone has to do the Thai Culture course.

Thank you for your response. I guess I can sit through a culture course. After all, I do have the official Thai culture book published by the Ministry of Culture! :o

Thank you for your response. I guess I can sit through a culture course. After all, I do have the official Thai culture book published by the Ministry of Culture! :o

I'll be doing the culture course in March. It's not a problem for me as school is finished early marchm and we come to school for a few weeks and bum around anyway, waiting for pay day at the end of March:)

I know that there is a lot of confusion about what is occurring at the moment, but there does seem to be some change coming for those wishing to teach in Thailand. I think that this will likely mean that some teachers may need to leave the profession or work illegally. This will mean a loss to students in many cases.

On the other hand, this may mean that ESl teaching gains a bit more respectability. It will not just be viewed as an avenue for unqualified backpackers and sex-tourists to extend their holiday (I know that these views of teachers are wrong but that is what many think). Gaining more qualifications would seem to indicate a commitment to the profession.

What do you think?

Edited by PeaceBlondie

I know that there is a lot of confusion about what is occurring at the moment, but there does seem to be some change coming for those wishing to teach in Thailand.

I have friends who teach here in Thailand, but they haven't mentioned anything about what is occurring at the moment or the changes that will be coming. I'm afraid that they may not even know about what's going on now (and coming in the future) so would you please elaborate or point me to a source.