Police and Army begin checks on Metered-Taxi's in Pattaya

webfact

Police and Army begin checks on Metered-Taxi's in Pattaya

taxi-6-1.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Following on from the recent meeting held in Pattaya to discuss plans to clampdown on misbehaving Taxi Drivers, a city-wide operation to begin checks on Metered Taxis began on Thursday.

The Tourist Police, Army, and District Officials, assisted Transport Department Officers to check random taxis in various locations and found a number of the taxis were operating not in accordance with new regulations issued by the Prime Minister and National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221436/police-and-army-begin-checks-on-metered-taxis-in-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-12

A country where every seasonal farmer, or people completely devoid of any decorum in manners

and honesty can become a taxi driver, don't be surprise to see the kind of greedy behavior being displayed

by those so called taxi drivers..... and the fact that they're representing the first contact and impression

of Thai people with foreign tourist completely escapes them.....

A country where every seasonal farmer, or people completely devoid of any decorum in manners

and honesty can become a taxi driver, don't be surprise to see the kind of greedy behavior being displayed

by those so called taxi drivers..... and the fact that they're representing the first contact and impression

Taxi drivers are a problem the world over. But in this case, they are not setting the rates. It's done by "The Boss". The government has done a relatively good job regulating taxis in Bangkok. Sadly, the further you are from there, the worse things seem to get. Like here in Pattaya.

" don't be surprise to see the kind of greedy behavior being displayed

by those so called taxi drivers...."

Do you have any idea how much one of these greedy drivers make per month?

I'm all for everyone (including over-stayers and serial visa exempt entry users) complying with the law, but I had a Thai friend who, after putting down a hefty deposit with the Pattaya taxi company, tried driving a cab in Pattaya. Hardly a "get rich quick" proposition. He quickly gave up and got a job as a salaried driver for the manager of a private business.

As far as people being "devoid of any decorum" goes, I will say that cabbies in London (based on my limited experience) are quite pleasant people, but everywhere else in the world I've had to use a taxi, a high percentage of the drivers appeared to suffer a major deficit in decorum and a conflicted homicidal/suicidal personality syndrome.

Edited by Suradit69

Only way to implement this is having officers going undercover as customers and impose hefty fines on Pattaya cabbies who break the rules (i.e all of them) until they get the message. Walking up in uniform will have no or short term only effect.

They could check to see how much has accumulated on the meter.

I recall when there were no 'meter' taxis in Pattaya, then they arrived.

I have always avoided them like the plague, as I knew they'd be ripoff central.

I always get along fine w/ BKK taxis, but I know better than to hire the ones on the side of Soi 11.

found a number of the taxis were operating not in accordance with new regulations issued

I would be interested in exactly how many were operating in accordance with the new regulations, my educated guess: 0

According to the Pattaya One article...

"A total of 171 Taxis were checked, some registered in Pattaya and others from Bangkok and a total of [only] 60 vehicles and their drivers were found to be breaking the rules."

Yes, I find it hard to believe too.

Taxi drivers are a problem the world over. But in this case, they are not setting the rates. It's done by "The Boss". The government has done a relatively good job regulating taxis in Bangkok. Sadly, the further you are from there, the worse things seem to get. Like here in Pattaya.

BS. Excepting those from the arpt, I've been keeping count, and my last eleven attempts to.flag a taxi in BKK have ALL resulted in having to accept a fixed fee (that iis, eleven drivers in a row who refused to use the meter). "Good job regulating taxis" my sweet a$$...

A total of 171 Taxis were checked, some registered in Pattaya and others from Bangkok and a total of 60 vehicles and their drivers were found to be breaking the rules and were fined between 200 and 300 Baht depending on the severity of the offenses they were committing

200-300B they can make that on one overcharged journey... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Fine them 5 to 10K, impound the taxis for 2 weeks & report them to the revenue department for investigation, when 20% of the taxis are off the road the other 80% will realise it is no joke. coffee1.gif

coffee1.gif

2-300 baht. thats a joke, they make that up in less of one overcharged trip....

The taxis in Pattaya now even have special made "towels" to cover the Meter inside the taxi.

Reason is that they need to switch on meter when they have a customer inside the taxi. when the meter is on the red light is on in their front windows...

The police have been stopping taxi's with customers inside and no red light on.....

i dont take them often but at some points there is no other options. like buying bulky items from Central

last time it was from Central festival to Jomtien, After negotiating a rate 3 times the metered rate. got in and the cheeky driver starts complaining (in english!) about how much money he looses since i got such a good rate, barely covered the cost of the petrol.... fishing for more money....

Then i nicely told him todays rate of both petrol and LPG, and how much a meter would run for this distance.... also pointing out his covered meter running....

The driver mumbled something like "farrang know too much" but it did not stop him from asking for tip at the end of journey....

Needless to say he got none.....

Thainess

wai2.gif

BS. Excepting those from the arpt, I've been keeping count, and my last eleven attempts to.flag a taxi in BKK have ALL resulted in having to accept a fixed fee (that iis, eleven drivers in a row who refused to use the meter). "Good job regulating taxis" my sweet a$$...

Not sure what arpt means. I spend a fair amount of time in Bangkok. Never had ALL refuse to accept a fixed fee. I let the wife do the talking. A few problems late at night in the tourist district. Other than that, pretty good.

Compared to many other cities, Bangkok is pretty nice. Sorry you're experience hasn't been the same as ours.

(Taxi drivers are a problem the world over) I was a taxi driver for more than 30 years never was a PROBLEM lol

BS. Excepting those from the arpt, I've been keeping count, and my last eleven attempts to.flag a taxi in BKK have ALL resulted in having to accept a fixed fee (that iis, eleven drivers in a row who refused to use the meter). "Good job regulating taxis" my sweet <deleted>...

Then "report" this with the "taxi-opertor-number".

There's a junta / government report website.

BS. Excepting those from the arpt, I've been keeping count, and my last eleven attempts to.flag a taxi in BKK have ALL resulted in having to accept a fixed fee (that iis, eleven drivers in a row who refused to use the meter). "Good job regulating taxis" my sweet <deleted>...

Then "report" this with the "taxi-opertor-number".

There's a junta / government report website.

Is this site secret? Or why is it you cannot tell us? Is it Thai language only?

C'mon give some help here please.

Is this site secret? Or why is it you cannot tell us? Is it Thai language only?

C'mon give some help here please.

Google is your friend....

Agreed - but it would not have been too hard for the poster to post the website, as he seems to know about it. The KISS principle. wai.gif

I dislike criticism also but criticism with a viable alternative (therein is the difference) is okay by me. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lvr181

Not sure what arpt means. I spend a fair amount of time in Bangkok. Never had ALL refuse to accept a fixed fee. I let the wife do the talking. A few problems late at night in the tourist district. Other than that, pretty good.

Compared to many other cities, Bangkok is pretty nice. Sorry you're experience hasn't been the same as ours.

That's my experience too. And when you consider the extremely low cost of Bangkok taxis they are pretty, pretty nice!

Kind of interesting that people who know Thailand even a little bit don't really believe this is for real (in Pattaya).

To change the transport situation in Pattaya, you'd have to be a LOT more hard core with a long term commitment.

Maybe a Thermo Nuclear Device ...and start again. whistling.gif