Vegemite Importation Banned In The Us!

cathyy

It smells like sh*te.

You can't import dog doo-doo to the U.S. either! :o

your <deleted> must smell good ulisses cause vegemite is the nectar of the gids, I know the yanks eat a lot of <deleted> but thats cause they excrement a lot :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It smells like sh*te.

You can't import dog doo-doo to the U.S. either! :o

your <deleted> must smell good ulisses cause vegemite is the nectar of the gids, I know the yanks eat a lot of <deleted> but thats cause they excrement a lot :D

I knew that would get your dander up! :D

I doubt if the US gov. will ever be on the same page as the rest of the Western world.... It will take generations to catch up. :o

it is a well known fact that the U.S. does not allow the private import of any foodstuff. you are not even allowed to take an apple or a sandwich from an aircraft. there are good reasons for these laws.

BUT they are by far not as crazy as the relevant Aussie or NZ laws! we were considering to move to Australia some years ago. had already bought a piece of land north of Brisbane and negotiating details with a local construction company. then we were informed that each piece of our antique furniture, every wooden frame of paintings, wooden skulptures, etc. has to be unpacked, fumigated and stored for a minimum of four weeks in a warehouse to be monitored whether "imported pests" might develop.

total cost for the procedure would have been around AUD 80-120,000 and any damage to valuable works of art would have been our bad luck.

facit: don't throw stones when you sit in a glasshouse! (old german proverb).

I have been shippings goods to Australia for 7 years, mostly wood, funtiture, paintings and antiques and have never heard of this regulation and certainly not this sort of cost (AUD 80-120,000). Insurance covers your goods when you ship anyway. Sounds like you received some bad advise.

It smells like sh*te.

You can't import dog doo-doo to the U.S. either! :D

I knew that would get your dander up! :D

He nearly spat up his last 10 beers! :o

"Insurance covers your goods when you ship anyway."

that is correct "vegas" but the insurance does not cover any damage when UNPACKED for customs inspection, fumigation and what not the aussie authorities were demanding. at that time the insurer inspected all goods to make sure they were packed according to the insurer's specifications.

i had a similar problem in 2004 when i shipped my containers to Thailand and the (U.S.) insurer insisted to inspect all goods UNPACKED to make sure that no damage has occured during the 14 months storage period in a Florida warehouse.

finally i gave up and took a 'flat' insurance, offered by the shipping company, based on the m3 volume with neither inspection nor valuation needed but with the risk to lose a bundle if the ship has sunk. flat insurance means one cannot select a specific value and pay a premium accordingly.

This is a true Vegamite story. I was working in Northcote just north of Melbourne. The guys in the factory were always talking about their Vegamite on toast for breakfast. The next visit to the supermarket I bought a jar. I got it home and opened it. Just my luck, it was spoiled. I was talking to my neighbor lady and I told her I got a spoiled jar. I went back, got it and showed her the jar. She sniffed it and dipped some on her finger. She laughed and told me that it was fine. It's supposed to smell like that. I told her to keep it. It truly is disgusting. She did tell me that it was an acquired taste.

Another true story.

Many years ago I was one of a big group of Aussies working in the States for many months.

We had our own vegemite supplies and always kept a convenient bottle or two on the condiment table in the breakfast room of the hotel we were living in.

We took great pleasure watching the unsuspecting American guests ply the vegemite as thick as peanut butter on their toast and take a bite.

You can guess their reaction. :o

Edited by Farma

I'm confused...years ago there was a product in the US called 'brewer's yeast' that smelled and had the same consistency as Marmite, and presumably Vegemite. An old girl friend useta eat it straight for the alleged 'B' vitamins...ick, she was a bit nuts...

the issue looks like a conspiracy launched by US brewer's yeast manufacturers to prohibit a similarly disgusting product from being imported into the US...in the name of 'homeland security'...

"Insurance covers your goods when you ship anyway."

that is correct "vegas" but the insurance does not cover any damage when UNPACKED for customs inspection, fumigation and what not the aussie authorities were demanding. at that time the insurer inspected all goods to make sure they were packed according to the insurer's specifications.

i had a similar problem in 2004 when i shipped my containers to Thailand and the (U.S.) insurer insisted to inspect all goods UNPACKED to make sure that no damage has occured during the 14 months storage period in a Florida warehouse.

finally i gave up and took a 'flat' insurance, offered by the shipping company, based on the m3 volume with neither inspection nor valuation needed but with the risk to lose a bundle if the ship has sunk. flat insurance means one cannot select a specific value and pay a premium accordingly.

That's interesting. When we ship goods to Australia, the AQIS guy asks the company we consign to, to unpack the selected items that they want to view so our insurance covers them for this. The AQIS official does not need to do anything to the goods that could cause damage, but merely check for evidence of insect infestation.

Patently many people do care with 34 replies...

...so far.

Really? Do these people all reside in America? If not, then why care? I live in the U.S. and it doesnt bother me one bit. The only people that should be concerned are the people living in the country being affected, no?

The US are a stupid lot.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the last person that should be accusing anyone of stupidity, Donz! :o

I'm with tripxcore on this one, sorry Khall. Love you as I do, this is just such an inane topic.

American's don't give a hoot if they can get marmite, vegemite whatever. Nobody but UK and AUS immigrants would eat that stuff anyway. And since I somehow suspect that they constitute a very small percentage of the currently 300 million Americans in the country, it wont' be such a big loss.

Now, if they banned the import of Tequila, there would be an uprising! (and I'm not talking about the Mexicans either :o )

Patently many people do care with 34 replies...

Really? Do these people all reside in America? If not, then why care? I live in the U.S. and it doesnt bother me one bit. The only people that should be concerned are the people living in the country being affected, no?

So, going by your logic, only people living in Thailand should have opinions on this board . . . which would leave out . . . . you? (and Donz of course :o )

Edited by Sing_Sling

So, going by your logic, only people living in Thailand should have opinions on this board . . . which would leave out . . . . you? (and Donz of course :o )

Well now they're not really the same thing, are they? On one hand we're talking about the importation of a food item into a country where no one eats it. On the other hand you're talking about excluding people from the board, namely me, because I don't live there even though my wife is from there, I spend lots and lots of time there and I own property there.

Now you tell me, is that the same thing? :D

Well now they're not really the same thing, are they? On one hand we're talking about the importation of a food item into a country where no one eats it. On the other hand you're talking about excluding people from the board, namely me, because I don't live there even though my wife is from there, I spend lots and lots of time there and I own property there.

Exactly my point. Being allowed to have an opinion about something that doesn't directly affect you is unrestricted. How valid this opinion is, is another thing.

Nobody but UK and AUS immigrants would eat that stuff anyway.

My Thai missus loves the stuff... :o

Ching ching.

Still trying to keep this thread Thailand related...

:D

You live in the US Jai Dee? Your wife would be directly affected if she couldnt' bring in her bottle of marmite or vegemite?

keep trying Jai dee, you are a better man than I if you can somehow relate this thread to Thailand, expats living in Thailand, or even Thai people in general.

Exactly my point. Being allowed to have an opinion about something that doesn't directly affect you is unrestricted. How valid this opinion is, is another thing.

Sure, opinions are like @ssho!es, everyone has one.

Just because a person has an opinion doesn't mean it is informed, intelligent or well thought out. :D

Phew, it looks like the Thai FDA won’t need to ban the food of the gods.

Authorities probe Vegemite ban reports

Tuesday Oct 24 13:32 AEST

Mystified Australian authorities have launched an investigation into reports Vegemite has been banned from entering the United States.

Supermarkets in the US continue to stock Vegemite and have no plans to remove Australia's iconic breakfast spread from their shelves.

Adding to the confusion, a spokesperson from the Australian embassy in Washington DC said US officials had recently said they had no concerns about Vegemite…………………………………………………..

.......Vegemite is made in Australia by US-based Kraft Foods Inc.

Story continued here http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=155019

I want to know why the importation of a food item into America wants to be discussed by people on a Thai web forum that don't live in America? There is just no connection.