US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dead at 79

rooster59

Hope the President selects a latino or black successor and as expected the Repub Senate reject. See how that plays in the states that will decide election in November!

Well, I don't care if the next judge is a liberal or conservative, black or white or yellow or green, Jewish, Muslim or Catholic, man or woman.

I just hope that the next judge does their job and honestly interprets the US Constitution without trying to make laws from the bench like liberal judges often do.

Has anyone noticed that often judges nominated by Republican presidents rule against conservative values? That is because they are supposed to use the Constitution not their own personal views. I wish Democrats could understand this. Scalia did...

"Scalia also supported free speech rights, but complained too. "I do not like scruffy people who burn the American flag," he said in 2002, but "regrettably, the First Amendment gives them the right to do that.""

So what was his big objection to same sex marriage?

Which bit of the constitution said that was illegal?

I haven't read his opinion on it. But I'm sure there is nothing in the Constitution about it at all.

You are correct. Marriage is not mentioned in the Constitution.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senate Recess appointment coming up if Republicans dont wanna play ball. And the Pres CAN make such an appointment!

Yes he can, however, no potus is going to make a recess appointment to scotus (short of war or a legit national emergency, perhaps).

All the same, the post did expose some fascist tendencies among some certain others around here.

In any case, the political winds have changed overnight.

This favors Clinton for the democrats and Kasich for the republicans or whoever you think is the most electable. (Not Trump.)

The SCOTUS impact of losing is going to be driven home, again and again.

Publicus:

"Antonin Scalia was a practitioner of stagnation and stasis, a night rider of reaction and nullification. He was never a balancer. Rather, Scalia was a judicial caveman."

"His opinions on the Court are the etchings on the stone walls inside the darkness."

Poetic.

Love it Pub.

thumbsup.gif

Either side will do their utmost to block a nominee they don't like. But it seems the longest delay has been 125 days. Amazing how 'conservatives' seem so keen to break with the past. smile.png

I guarantee you there are some conservatives that still understand how government is supposed to function, whether they hold the reigns of power or not. A prolonged, unreasonable obstructionist movement will blow up in their faces. Prediction: They probably don't care and will do it anyway. They've got some kind of death wish.

Cruz has said just that with his vow to filibuster. He doesn't know who the nominee will be, but he promises to block the nominee. Is it any wonder the adjective crazy is attached to the man, or that he makes Jeb seem moderate or Kasich a liberal in comparison?

Either side will do their utmost to block a nominee they don't like. But it seems the longest delay has been 125 days. Amazing how 'conservatives' seem so keen to break with the past. smile.png

I guarantee you there are some conservatives that still understand how government is supposed to function, whether they hold the reigns of power or not. A prolonged, unreasonable obstructionist movement will blow up in their faces. Prediction: They probably don't care and will do it anyway. They've got some kind of death wish.

Cruz has said just that with his vow to filibuster. He doesn't know who the nominee will be, but he promises to block the nominee. Is it any wonder the adjective crazy is attached to the man, or that he makes Jeb seem moderate or Kasich a liberal in comparison?

While I pretty much agree with you on this, looking at Obama's record, his nominee will undoubtedly be extremely far to the left and vote on an ideological basis. Republicans should do what they have to do to stop this.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Scalia was a towering figure of the Conservative theology and it's too bad the Left have already started spewing their invictive. Typical.

Any bets Scalia was Vince Fostered, eh? wink.png

Could you provide an example? I have only heard the "left" say and not "spew" that the sitting president should nominate a replacement (as is his duty).

While I pretty much agree with you on this, looking at Obama's record, his nominee will undoubtedly be extremely far to the left and vote on an ideological basis. Republicans should do what they have to do to stop this.

And the conservative justices don't vote on an ideological basis? The conservatives in government want to block the chances of Obama nominating someone with a liberal view of the constitution only because they hope to have a Republican president in the White house in 2017 who will nominate someone with a conservative view of the constitution. The President was elected for a for year term by a large margin and it is his duty to nominate someone to fill that empty seat on the court. Obstructionism is just sour grapes.

Actually not much is about homosexual people etc. They only constitute 10% of the population. Most people don't even think about it, ever.

Well its important to them and because some of them may be our friends, neighbors, families. coworkers or fellow human beings it should be important to us. I think the number is closer to 5% but I'm not sure.

It is closer to 2%. The homosexual lobby lied about their numbers for many years to become more accepted, but they now admit to being a much smaller percentage of the population.

Actually not much is about homosexual people etc. They only constitute 10% of the population. Most people don't even think about it, ever.

Well its important to them and because some of them may be our friends, neighbors, families. coworkers or fellow human beings it should be important to us. I think the number is closer to 5% but I'm not sure.

It is closer to 2%. The homosexual lobby lied about their numbers for many years to become more accepted, but they now admit to being a much smaller percentage of the population.

Do you have a source for that estimate?

Do you have a source for that estimate?

Health & Science

Health survey gives government its first large-scale data on gay, bisexual population

According to a CDC survery, less than 3 percent of the population identified themselves as gay, lesbian or bisexual. (Carlo Allegri/Reuters)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/health-survey-gives-government-its-first-large-scale-data-on-gay-bisexual-population/2014/07/14/2db9f4b0-092f-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html?Post+generic=?tid=sm_twitter_washingtonpost

Just for the record:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLASHBACK: In 2007, Schumer Called For Blocking All Bush Supreme Court Nominations
BLAKE NEFF
Reporter
12:55 PM 02/14/2016
During a Sunday morning appearance on ABC’s “This Week,” Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer decried the intent of many Senate Republicans to prevent President Barack Obama from appointing the successor to deceased Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
But less than a decade ago, Schumer advocated doing the same exact thing if any additional Supreme Court vacancies opened under former President George W. Bush.
Almost immediately after Scalia’s death was announced Saturday evening, Republican lawmakers and presidential candidates began arguing the appointment of his successor should be left to the next president. Schumer lamented this outlook as pure obstructionism.

I've said this election could turn on women's right to choose, alone. Now, that is even more likely. People will know exactly what they're voting for and every position by Republicans is unpopular with the electorate. Throw in the appointment of a Supreme and they're toast.

Only one path left for the Republicans. The familiar one they like the best..FEAR.

Stonewalling this nomination will bite the Republicans in the ass but they don't have any choice. Abortion, Citizens United, Voting rights and Environmental laws are all about to re-established for the good of the country with the new Supreme Court majority.

Republicans are screwed. Thank you Buddha, for taking the horrible stain on American justice.

How you feeling Clarence?

Just for the record:

FLASHBACK: In 2007, Schumer Called For Blocking All Bush Supreme Court Nominations

BLAKE NEFF

Reporter

During a Sunday morning appearance on ABCs This Week, Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer decried the intent of many Senate Republicans to prevent President Barack Obama from appointing the successor to deceased Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

But less than a decade ago, Schumer advocated doing the same exact thing if any additional Supreme Court vacancies opened under former President George W. Bush.

Almost immediately after Scalias death was announced Saturday evening, Republican lawmakers and presidential candidates began arguing the appointment of his successor should be left to the next president. Schumer lamented this outlook as pure obstructionism.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/#ixzz40CiHVHYm

Can you spell H Y P O C R I C Y?

How you feeling Clarence?

So, there is no truth then to the rumors that Clarence Thomas would voluntarily be buried alive with Scalia?

Proof that liberals can be racist.

Typical Republican retort since you know it is a lie. Thomas's problem is not that he is black, but that he is incompetent. In the last 12 years on the bench he, and he alone, has never posed a single question of the attorneys pleading before the Court. He has followed Scalia's lead like a poodle. A political hack of any color is a political hack.

Ah, the old "BUT YOU GUYS DID IT FIRST!" defense. Classic.

Back then it never actually came to pass because Bush didn't get the chance to nominate anyone. Now that Republicans have that opportunity, let's see if they adopt the Schumer Doctrine or if they take the high road and actually do their jobs.

Edited by attrayant

Whether or not Schummer called for a block of Bush's nominee isn't really relevant today. It never happened and was never attempted. At any rate it would have been logical, as Cheny/Bush et al had ruined the US, not so today. And what a oh so reliable source of information, the daily(liar)caller, NOT! Never fear, Obama has yet to nominate a true "lefty" although at least one of his choices has shown some real understanding of the law and the Constitution. There are no liberals on the Supreme Court. 5 right wing fascist, federalist, corporate, koch (John Birch Society) traitor brothers, that make law according to their masters bidding and their own insanity. The "gang of 5". Good riddance to bad rubbish Scalia and GitMo for the other 4 traitors. The 4 non-traitors while not liberal are basically rational thinking human beings with an understanding of the law and what they are supposed to be doing. BTW, being a liberal is a good thing, means you have a heart, mind and soul (if one believes in a soul), unlike 99.9% of Republicans. Justice Douglas has been turning over in his grave so much it is probably like a fracking earthquake.

"As darkness does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there's twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." Justice William O. Douglas

There isn't a racist in the White House, dawg whistle, dawg whistle. Plenty outside claiming that Obama is. You wouldn't know a racist if he looked back at you in the mirror. I do believe all Republicans must sign on the dotted line "I am a racist" before joining the Republican party. Oh course there are many other "ists" they must have to swear to also, nothing good or to be proud of for sure.

Just for the record:

BLAKE NEFF

Reporter

During a Sunday morning appearance on ABCs This Week, Democratic Sen. Charles Schumer decried the intent of many Senate Republicans to prevent President Barack Obama from appointing the successor to deceased Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

Almost immediately after Scalias death was announced Saturday evening, Republican lawmakers and presidential candidates began arguing the appointment of his successor should be left to the next president. Schumer lamented this outlook as pure obstructionism.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/02/14/flashback-in-2007-schumer-called-for-blocking-all-bush-supreme-court-nominations/#ixzz40CiHVHYm

Yes, he's a hypocrite alright.

And he was wrong to (want to) do it as well.

Hope the President selects a latino or black successor and as expected the Repub Senate reject.

Select Ben Carson and everything will be hunky dory!

Well, Scalia was found with a pillow over his head.

This is going to get ugly: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Texas-ranch-owner-recalls-Scalia-s-last-hours-6830372.php

If, in fact, there was a pillow over his head then something like a "conspiracy" is very lacking in the newspaper article. Perhaps a misprint or something left out. That ranch is NOT Kho Tao. There are even times I "put a pillow" over my head just to shut out the incessant damned dog barking, not over my face. Ahem, I do have a Thai wife...lol. But, it probably won't matter to the right wingnuts. Hell they still haven't given up on PP, even after the phony, doctored video's producers were indicted. Doesn't matter, he's dead, thankfully. But yea, it will get ugly one way or the other, already started with the Republicans instant refusal to even consider a new Justice.

Hope the President selects a latino or black successor and as expected the Repub Senate reject.

This is going to get ugly: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Texas-ranch-owner-recalls-Scalia-s-last-hours-6830372.php

Oh dear not another tin foil hat conspiracy.

rolleyes.gif

Oh dear not another tin foil hat conspiracy.

rolleyes.gif

Fox news just reported the prime suspect being tracked is a Kenyan-born Islamist with a fake Hawaii birth certificate. laugh.png