Air pollution in Chiang Mai outside of the burning season?

RichardThailand

I've experienced the burning season there and don't really want to be back there at that time.

But how is it living in CM outside of the burning season compared to the pollution experienced in Bangkok?

I'm considering moving to CM and just leaving the area during those 6-8 weeks each year.

Edited by RichardThailand

Chiang Mai is less polluted than Bangkok even in full swing burning season... much less outside of it. But only you can decide if it works for you - why not just come up for a week in May and see if it feels better before moving here? For me, I find Chiang Mai perfectly OK at all times but then I used to live in China and you'd be hard pushed to match Beijing, Guangzhou, etc. with a little burning and car smog.

It is not bad outside the burning season. For me. During it I do OK but I use the Air con more.

To be honest with you no one can tell you how bad it really is.

You will have to observe it for your self just like you have done with the burning season.

Every one has different tolerances. In the off season some people can not even come into

Chiang Mai because of the auto exhaust. Where as others like myself don't notice it.

Chiang Mai is less polluted than Bangkok even in full swing burning season... much less outside of it. But only you can decide if it works for you - why not just come up for a week in May and see if it feels better before moving here? For me, I find Chiang Mai perfectly OK at all times but then I used to live in China and you'd be hard pushed to match Beijing, Guangzhou, etc. with a little burning and car smog.

this is false, look up the numbers http://www.aqmthai.com/

Edited by NomadStrategy

Chiang Mai air quality is far worse than Bangkok at any time of year, outside of the period mid-Feb to mid-April it varies from being OK/good to excellent. Most people who live here I believe feel that the plus points of living here far outweigh the pollution negatives which only lasts for 6 or 8 weeks.