Polish woman dead after being run over while trying to cross street in south Phuket

rooster59

Polish woman dead after being run over while trying to cross street in south Phuket

Eakkapop Thongtub

post-247607-0-44871700-1455437681_thumb.

PHUKET: An elderly German man who ran over a Polish woman to death last night in south Phuket was nabbed and charged for reckless driving but was out on bail within an hour of his arrest.

Authorities were alerted to the accident – which happened near the entrance to Soi Thao Daeng Uthit on Wiset Rd, between Chalong and Rawai – at about 10pm last night (February 13).

There was nothing rescue workers could do to save the victim, named as 44-year-old Ms Malgorzata Regina Szczygiel from Poland, who was found lifeless in a pool of her own blood in the middle of the road, as scores of residents and onlookers passed by.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/polish-woman-dead-after-being-run-over-while-trying-to-cross-street-in-south-phuket-56212.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-14

Unlike in many countries, the policy here is to charge first and investigate later. So, nothing can be read as to the driver's culpability into the fact the driver was charged other than he does not have high-level connections.

built up residential areas in parts of the USA have speed limits of sub 25mph the UK also I believe with the widespread use of speed ramps, time for Thailand tourist areas to either adopt strict low speed limits or create massive pedestrian zones were no traffic is allowed

RIP to this poor woman

Condolence to her partner who tried to cross the street with her holding hands.

Terrible.

An article in Thai cites witnesses with "high speed".

Really scarce facts.

There is another thread "why call Thailand a third world country".

That such carnage can take place at a holiday spot due to complete lack of traffic regulation/security/law enforcement is one of the answers.

Different places similar news.

I don't know the situation in Phuket but I know the crazy racetracks of Pattaya/Jomtien.

Seems not so different?

the problem with Thailand for lots of European visitors is that Thailand drive on the other side of the road, people are looking the wrong way. when i was in Lao recently, i had to think before crossing the road.

Yeah it's terribly difficult to think and look both ways before crossing.

Utter nonsense mate.

Edited by stoneyboy

the problem with Thailand for lots of European visitors is that Thailand drive on the other side of the road, people are looking the wrong way. when i was in Lao recently, i had to think before crossing the road.

honstly I think everyone accepts that but in a place were you have lots of people crossing roads in a holiday location then driving a vehicle at over 30kmph is unacceptable, it doesn't get anyone to their location much quicker than maybe 2min and there is a chance that you might not kill someone trying to cross a busy road

Pattaya 2nd road is grid locked most of the time and that saves a lot of lives

There is a mindset in this country to get ahead as fast as possible no matter what - people are driving over each other to be first but little do they realise they are last when hundreds are in front of them

I was crossing 2nd road in Pattaya 2 nights ago and a farang driver was almost on top of me close enough for me to touch the front of his car - he was going nowhere as the traffic was backed up.........................not going to get into details about what happened next but seriously those pesky pedestrians trying to cross the road

I ride my motorbike through pattaya and I am nervous about stopping at a crossing in case someone goes into the back of me and wipes me out because I stopped

I don't know what happened to this lady but I can easily imagine

RIP to the deceased

Wiset road has been named the "Speedway" for a reason.
Lots of deaths on this road.

Since the police won't stop anyone for speeding here, I'll suggest speed bumps as an answer to this problem
As much as I don't like them, they work.

The area where this death happened is very congested.

People drive too fast on this road. I'll bet the car looked fairly far away but actually the guy ends up doing 120 and BAM. It's amazing this doesn't occur more often.

Condolences to family and friends, tragic.

Couldn't agree more. Idiot comments based on dyspepsia or lack of dietary roughage have no place on a public forum.

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

Can't say who is at fault here, but having driven past tourist spots on a weekly basis, I've seen tourist jump on in the middle of the road with no knowdge of how fast cars are moving, many Westerners assumes automatically that the car will stop but fail to assess how fast cars are going.

3 years ago, I even had a tourist gave me the middle finger because I did not stop in the middle of the road while he was waving his hands wildly signaling me to stop so he can cross, I was going 70km at that time with cars behind, I would have to deccelerate hard in order to stop in time for him, it was too dangerous for me to stop hence the middle finger.

Yeah it's terribly difficult to think and look both ways before crossing.

Utter nonsense mate.

I grew up in Canada and was used to looking left first when crossing the road. When I went to London, it was natural to look left and step off the curb and then look right and "oh crap" there's a London taxi about to run me over.

Can't say who is at fault here, but having driven past tourist spots on a weekly basis, I've seen tourist jump on in the middle of the road with no knowdge of how fast cars are moving, many Westerners assumes automatically that the car will stop but fail to assess how fast cars are going.

3 years ago, I even had a tourist gave me the middle finger because I did not stop in the middle of the road while he was waving his hands wildly signaling me to stop so he can cross, I was going 70km at that time with cars behind, I would have to deccelerate hard in order to stop in time for him, it was too dangerous for me to stop hence the middle finger.

Same for me as I was leaving Chalong circle one day. Had just shifted into 3rd cars behind and an Eastern European lady (younger, with a dive company outfit on, must've had a terrible day) just walks right out in front of my bike! As I swerve to miss her she shouts F$%K You!

To the other posters who commented on my previous post, I was only commenting on the speed people reach in this area not on vegetable culpability.

You would be a fool not to look both ways in Thailand and that includes the sidewalks. Rip to the victim.

You should look three ways - left, right, and on the ground in front of you for the potholes and raised concrete corners, especially on the sidewalks.

Edited by NamKangMan

You would be a fool not to look both ways in Thailand and that includes the sidewalks. Rip to the victim.

You should look three ways - left, right, and on the ground in front of you for the potholes and raised concrete corners, especially on the sidewalks.

And swivel head to look behind as well ... it's a jungle out there :}

And swivel head to look behind as well ... it's a jungle out there :}

What's this got to do with honesty ... the topic is about personal safety. You brought up pot holes ...

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

You should look three ways - left, right, and on the ground in front of you for the potholes and raised concrete corners, especially on the sidewalks

In Pattaya, you should look 4 ways, left, right,in front and then above to check for falling bodies coffee1.gif