Singapore-registered freighter hits embankment in Phra Pradaeng district

webfact

Singapore's freighter hits embankment in Phra Pradaeng district

1402002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Singapore-registered freighter collided into the embankment of Larn Khon Muang recreation centre in Phra Pradaeng district of Samut Prakan Sunday morning.

The freighter, Xethabhum, which carried cargoes at Klong Toei port was heading for estuary and approaching the Bhumibol II bridge which a curve when it suddenly lost control of the direction and slammed into the embankment. No one was injured but the embankment sustained serious damages.

The ill-fated freighter was later towed out of the scene of the accident as officials of Phra Pradaeng municipal were determining the cost of the damages.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/150887

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-15

Usually, Harbor Pilots take over the handling of vessels at foreign ports. That is because these harbor pilots (usually locals) are very knowledgeable about tides, currents, shoals in their area of responsibility. So I wonder who was piloting the vessel when the accident happened? Was it the ship's captain or a local harbor pilot?

Usually, Harbor Pilots take over the handling of vessels at foreign ports. That is because these harbor pilots (usually locals) are very knowledgeable about tides, currents, shoals in their area of responsibility. So I wonder who was piloting the vessel when the accident happened? Was it the ship's captain or a local harbor pilot?

That was my understanding of the way large cargo ships work as well. I noticed they didn't mention the nationality of the person captaining the ship (usual giveaway in Thai articles), but they did mention the flag.

Caught on Video: Cargo Ship Slams Into Riverwalk in Bangkok
by Mike Schuler

Video shows the moment the Singapore-flagged cargo ship Xetha Bhum plowed into a pedestrian walkway lining the Chao Phraya River near the Bhumibol Bridge in Bangkok, Thailand.

Full story: http://gcaptain.com/caught-on-video-cargo-ship-slams-into-river-walkway-in-bangkok/

-- gCaptain 2016-02-16

That was my understanding of the way large cargo ships work as well. I noticed they didn't mention the nationality of the person captaining the ship (usual giveaway in Thai articles), but they did mention the flag.

was there someone driving lol

This ship belongs to RCL (Regional Container Lines) which is listed on the SET. Singapore flag but thai owned. A pilot would certainly have been on board but as per rules of navigation, the Master still remains responsible. The Singapore Maritime Authority does a thorough enquiry of all accidents on their ships and publishes the results, so we can hold back the thai bashing till then. Could have been a loss of steering or an error of navigation.

Edited by saakura

This ship belongs to RCL (Regional Container Lines) which is listed on the SET. Singapore flag but thai owned. A pilot would certainly have been on board but as per rules of navigation, the Master still remains responsible. The Singapore Maritime Authority does a thorough enquiry of all accidents on their ships and publishes the results, so we can hold back the thai bashing till then. Could have been a loss of steering or an error of navigation.

This is the only intelligent replay I see here,good for you.

Well it seems the reversegear was still working.

Ship hardly slammed into the walkway - more of a controlled low speed collision.

Perhaps the result of an input error into an electronic navigation and steering system with no one monitoring the ship's progress.

In any case - human error.

This accident does bring into question the safety of Prayut's proposed riverfront promenade on an active shipping riverfront.

Ship hardly slammed into the walkway - more of a controlled low speed collision.

Perhaps the result of an input error into an electronic navigation and steering system with no one monitoring the ship's progress.

This accident does bring into question the safety of Prayut's proposed riverfront promenade on an active shipping riverfront.

Or perhaps loss of propulsion and no human error. I'm surprised there appeared to be no attempt to drop the anchor.

Yes because ships never had accidents when Thaksin was running things rolleyes.gif - Give over!

That is further upriver, no freighters there !

For those interested here is the location.

post-9891-0-04061300-1455597214_thumb.jp

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.6594985,100.5368053,754m/data=!3m1!1e3

post-9891-0-33843000-1455598233_thumb.jp

The vessel was outward bound from upriver at Klong Toei, making the turn under the Bhumibol bridge and possibly lost her steering?

I believe the downriver speed for vessels is 4mph

Edited by ratcatcher

Was that Master Bates?

Error or navigation?? Not if they had GPS on board....maybe using a sextant?

Seriously, it would be just visual manouvering,.so more likely a simple error, not enough reverse soon enough is my guess, but of course ships are complex machines so mechamicsl failure is a possibility, steering, manouvering thrusters, any number of possibilities. I'm sure there'll be an enquiry, then we'll all know.....or maybe not