Mai Mee

1BADDAT

There was a book written by a French explorer in Laos in the 19th century. He was seeking a passage through the mountains to Vietnam, which was not called Vietnam in those days.

At every village, he got the same answer, bor mee, bor dai, bor hoo jak.

I can't remember the name of the book but it was a good read.

Plus ca change....

Perhaps it's Henri Mouhot, who discovered Angkor by chance in 1958, a fact that seems to be totally forgotten today. He wrote an ecstatic account of his discovery (published in the legendary travel books called Tour du Monde), which was widely read and created a myth around Angkor and the Khmer which is still alive today in France. He died of some unknown fever in Laos in 1861, at the age of 35.

He didn't discover it. The locals knew it was there, and he wasn't even the first foreigner to visit it.

He did discover it. The locals did not know it was there. He was the first foreigner to visit it. And you, Sir, are just a lame, pathetic, typical, TVF francophobe. I bet you wouldn't have reacted thus if I had mentioned Raffles discovery of Borobudur, even though, in his case, the locals did know about it. Which is probably what got you confused in the first place. Your obvious hatred of all things French did the rest.

Edited by Yann55

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That translates as: Not my concern or I do not know much more than what I care to know while I really do not care to learn or make any effort to know or learn anything about what you want or what you are asking for....so they say: My Mee.

Just joking in part but usually if they do not know they simply say : My Mee

When Thai People are asked about something if they do not say: My Mee, then Thai people are also well known for commonly saying:

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Bi ( Do Not Want to Go )

My Coy ( Never )

My Kow-Jai ( I Do Not Understand )

My Lroo Rlueng ( I Do Not Understand the Story Concerning This Conversation )

My Coy Hen ( I Never See )

My Doo or My Mong ( Did Not Look )

My Sohn-Jai ( I Am Not Interested )

My Lrou-Jack ( I Do Not Know About That: "Thing" or "Place" or "Person" )

My Chop ( I Do Not Like )

My Yom ( I Do Not Accept )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Set ( Not Finished Yet )

My Hen Doo-Way ( I Do Not Agree )

My Jai ( I Will Not Pay The Money )

My Lrack Koon ( I Do Not Love You )

My Mee Ngun ( I Do Not Have Money )

My Jai Ngun ( Will Not Pay The Money )

My Ah-Rloy ( Not Good Tasting )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

You will hear a whole lot of "My" this and "My" that..... all the time ....so better get used to it.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

There was a book written by a French explorer in Laos in the 19th century. He was seeking a passage through the mountains to Vietnam, which was not called Vietnam in those days.

At every village, he got the same answer, bor mee, bor dai, bor hoo jak.

I can't remember the name of the book but it was a good read.

Plus ca change....

Perhaps it's Henri Mouhot, who discovered Angkor by chance in 1958, a fact that seems to be totally forgotten today. He wrote an ecstatic account of his discovery (published in the legendary travel books called Tour du Monde), which was widely read and created a myth around Angkor and the Khmer which is still alive today in France. He died of some unknown fever in Laos in 1861, at the age of 35.

He didn't discover it. The locals knew it was there, and he wasn't even the first foreigner to visit it.

He did discover it. The locals did not know it was there. He was the first foreigner to visit it. And you, Sir, are just a lame, pathetic, typical, TVF francophobe. I bet you wouldn't have reacted thus if I had mentioned Raffles discovery of Borobudur, even though, in his case, the locals did know about it. Which is probably what got you confused in the first place. Your obvious hatred of all things French did the rest.

He really didn't. He never even claimed to have done so, and acknowledged that other foreigners had been there first, including a fellow Frenchman who wrote about his visit a few years beforehand.

Might consider that they dont understand what you saying (unless speaking Thai) as often people assume they speak/understand English but in reality they havnt got a clue beyond "hello", thats why they say "mai mee" and not "not hab"

I get the same in reverse, I can speak a little Thai but often they think I can speak more and they jabber on speaking quickly and completely loose me.smile.png

I too speak a little Thai, but I have received the mai mee many times. Once I showed them the item I wanted in it's English and Thai worded packaging. Methinks no possible miscommunication there. Sure enough, mai mee was her response; yet I found the item right there in the same store.

When communication is the problem, I think shyness or loss of face may be the reason for the mai mee; in hopes of getting the farang to go away.

When communication is not, or should not be, the problem--as in the case above--it must be ignorance of what is in stock. However, even that doesn't cut it. If you don't know whether or not an item is in stock, why not ask? Maybe they are afraid to lose face with their co-workers for no knowing.

That translates as: Not my concern or I do not know much more than what I care to know while I really do not care to learn or make any effort to know or learn anything about what you want or what you are asking for....so they say: My Mee.

When Thai People are asked about something if they do not say: My Mee, then Thai people are also well known for commonly saying:

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Coy ( Never )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

You will hear a whole lot of "My" this and "My" that..... all the time ....so better get used to it.

Cheers

Ooooh you know a lot of Thai.

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Coy ( Never )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

Cheers

Then there's

Mai cheu

Mai tahm

Mai yahk

Mai Lak

Mai Ow

Mai Bawk

Mai Yoo

Mai Didt Tdaw

Mai Fang

He didn't discover it Yann55......unless wiki is lying........

And I am not anti French..... I mean--You can say what you like about them but I think the beret shows just how clever they really are.----Who else would design a hat that can't fall off while running away?.......coffee1.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Mouhot

Mouhot is often mistakenly credited with "discovering" Angkor, although Angkor was never lost — the location and existence of the entire series of Angkor sites was always known to the Khmers and had been visited by several westerners since the 16th century. Mouhot mentions in his journals that his contemporary, Father Charles Emile Bouillevaux — a French missionary based in Battambang — had reported that he and other western explorers and missionaries had visited Angkor Wat and the other Khmer temples, at least five years before Mouhot. Father Bouillevaux published his accounts in 1857: "Travel in Indochina 1848–1846, The Annam and Cambodia". Previously, a Portuguese trader Diogo do Couto visited Angkor and wrote his accounts about it in 1550, and the Portuguese monk Antonio da Magdalena had also written about his visit to Angkor Wat in 1586.

As you have learned, while the literal translation of "mai mee" is "no have", it is widely used as a way of shrugging the person off regardless of whether or not they in fact have the item. In fact you will sometimes get the "mai mee" even when the item is clerarly behind them on the shelves, or before you have even named it.

Basically they are just trying to get rid of you. I think it even happens to Thai customers (as a way of the staff reducing their workload, especially if the item would require that they check, or fetch it from another part of the store). But it happens more with foreigners. Both because being outside the thai hierarchy, it is considered "safe" to disappoint or annoy foreigners, and becaye dealing iwth foreigners is more work/effort - harder to know what they are saying plus they often are seeking less common items.

Often it means "I don't know what you want and am unwilling to make an effort to find out" or even, if you have not yet even named the item, "I assume that dealing with you will be hard and I don't want to make the effort".

"Mai Dai" ("cannot") is the same story. More often means "I don't want to bother", "I don't know what it is/what you want" etc than that it is actually not possible to do whatever.

Patient but firm persistance is the best recourse. Smile and say "Kitwa mee...." (I think you do have...) and keep at it. Since the main impetus is to avoid effort, make it more of a hassle for them to take the "mai mee" or "mai dai" route than to just serve you in the first place.

You're probably right; however, IMHO persistence is a waste of time. I prefer to say Mai Bpen Rai and go looking elsewhere. Odds are pretty good someone in the same street will have the item.

I've nonplussed a few Thais by whipping out the item in question, and offering to sell it to them.

As far as food is concerned, 20 minutes is the limit. If it's not on the table by then, me and my Thai GF get up from the table and leave.

Mai dai, mai jai is a useful expression.

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Coy ( Never )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

Cheers

In case you need it, the Thai adjective for sarcastic is gra thaaek gra than.biggrin.png

Me and a buddy were at a restaurant and he ordered chicken cordon bleu. "Mai mee mister." So he ordered something else. When it came time to pay the bill we looked over at someone else's table that another waitress had just served and there is a pipping hot plate of you guessed it. He called the waitress over to ask her about it and she gave him a look of disgust and just marched off without saying a word.

You bought your girlfriend a "really cool" plastic cup at Big C as a Valentine's Day gift, and she was okay with that?

Does she have a sister?

(I'm inquiring on behalf of a "friend".....)

. It was just one of her presents, but no I didn't spend a lot on Valentine's Day. It's the first Valentine's Day together. I like to set the bar pretty low at first. Only room for improvement.

And yes she has a sister.

Good choice.

Better than some of the people that probably bought their bargirlfriends a diamond ring, a car or better yet a house for Valentine's.

Well I didn't buy mine anything and she could care less. I haven't even heard a word about it as if the day doesn't even exist. She is that type of girl. As long as I spend time with her she is a happy camper.

You bought your girlfriend a "really cool" plastic cup at Big C as a Valentine's Day gift, and she was okay with that?

Does she have a sister?

(I'm inquiring on behalf of a "friend".....)

. It was just one of her presents, but no I didn't spend a lot on Valentine's Day. It's the first Valentine's Day together. I like to set the bar pretty low at first. Only room for improvement.

And yes she has a sister.

i brought the girlfriend some condoms so if she cheats on me i wont get any nasty presents

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Coy ( Never )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

Cheers

Then there's

Mai cheu

Mai tahm

Mai yahk

Mai Lak

Mai Ow

Mai Bawk

Mai Yoo

Mai Didt Tdaw

Mai Fang

Plus My Sharona. Actually pronounced M-M-M My Sharona.

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Coy ( Never )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

Cheers

Actually .....I know a whole lot of English and many things about the English and Thai People who speak English.

Cheers

Me and a buddy were at a restaurant and he ordered chicken cordon bleu. "Mai mee mister." So he ordered something else. When it came time to pay the bill we looked over at someone else's table that another waitress had just served and there is a pipping hot plate of you guessed it. He called the waitress over to ask her about it and she gave him a look of disgust and just marched off without saying a word.

I have tried to order Zinger burger at the KFC and gave up after telling it 5 times.

The Thai like to use english words, i couldn't order a club sandwhich at the Black canyon and gave up after 5 times.

I don't want to point at it on a picture, if they want to sell english food then learn how to say it!

Same in Mac D. They don't know a hamburger or a pizza superdeluxe at pizza company.

They do know the wurlwyweb though, hear it all the time on the radio.

English is hi-so for selling in commercials but nobody can speak it.....clap2.gifcheesy.gif

Many are too lazy to check or even care....Once at Global House asked if they had UPVC windows and the guy said Mai Mee........he was actually leaning on the piles of boxes with the UPVC windows in!!!

Can't blame them for their 300 baht a day wage and zero chance to climb up the ladder. Too many people here feel that they are going nowhere and act to it.

Wrong of course, but every one makes his own choice.

Imagine being sales staff at Big C, Tesco or 7 and never being able to buy a house, a car, a decent education for your kids, go on holiday, etc... Why move your behind for a farang shopper who want a cup for his girlfriend? Mai mee!

So how about Walmart? I would say most jobs in the US are that way.

If you really want to go to the next level of “mai mee” wait till

you want to build a house here. A regular trawl of the building

shops for fixtures and fittings provides this all to frequent exchange.

Can I have one of those?

Mai mee

Can I take the one from the display?

Mai dai

Can I order one?

Mai chai.

Why not?

Factory finish.

Why you still display the product then,

Mai kao chai.

Sounds like she didnt understand him, or do,you think she was being evil. It amazes me sometimes how foreigners complicate sentences when asking Thais to do something.

My Lou ( I Do Not Know)

My Sap ( No Idea )

My Die ( Can Not )

My Ow ( Do Not Want )

My Coy ( Never )

My Tum ( Will Not Do )

My Kin ( Will Not Eat )

My Dee ( Not Good )

My Jap ( Do Not Touch )

And there is more..

Cheers

Then there's

Mai cheu

Mai tahm

Mai yahk

Mai Lak

Mai Ow

Mai Bawk

Mai Yoo

Mai Didt Tdaw

Mai Fang

Plus My Sharona. Actually pronounced M-M-M My Sharona.

555+ made me laugh , good one cheesy.gif

Many are too lazy to check or even care....Once at Global House asked if they had UPVC windows and the guy said Mai Mee........he was actually leaning on the piles of boxes with the UPVC windows in!!!

Can't blame them for their 300 baht a day wage and zero chance to climb up the ladder. Too many people here feel that they are going nowhere and act to it.

Wrong of course, but every one makes his own choice.

Imagine being sales staff at Big C, Tesco or 7 and never being able to buy a house, a car, a decent education for your kids, go on holiday, etc... Why move your behind for a farang shopper who want a cup for his girlfriend? Mai mee!

Because its his job to serve customers....its not the foreigners fault he works there, he should have paid more attention in school!!

If you really want to go to the next level of “mai mee” wait till
you want to build a house here. A regular trawl of the building
shops for fixtures and fittings provides this all to frequent exchange.
Can I have one of those?
Mai mee
Can I take the one from the display?
Mai dai
Can I order one?
Mai chai.
Why not?
Factory finish.
Why you still display the product then,
Mai kao chai.

I hear you Bro.

A typical conversation will go something like this.

That item there, can I have a look at it.

Can.

How much is this

I don't know.

Can you find out the price for me

I do not know the price.

I understand you do not know the price but can you find out the price.

Wait, wait.

Finally someone else comes.

What is the price on this item.

I do not know

Does someone know the price.

I do not know

It does not have a price?

Yes it has a price.

OK what is the price?

I do not know

OK...Have you ever sold this item before.

Yes we sell that Item.

Ok...but you do not know the price right?

I do not know the price.

Does anyone Know the price?

I don't know.

How about the manager or owner of the shop, do they know the price.

I don't know.

Can you ask the manager the price or get someone who knows the price to come over here.

Why?

Because I would like to know the price because if there is no price then it is free..right?..I can take it for free right...?

It is not free.

I know , but if I know the price then I may buy one or some of them.

Wait, wait...( then comes back )

Sorry , The manager is not here.

Ok ..how about the owner of the store.

Not here.

How do you know he is not here?

No answer

Then I go and look around and ask other people : Are you the manager.

No I am not the manager.

Is the manager here.

Yes the manager is here.

Can you ask the manager to please come here.

Why

Because I want a price on a product.

What product.

OK come with me

This product here....what is the price?

I do not know.

Does the manager know or someone else know.

I do not know.

Can you ask the manager to come here and give me a price.

Manager is not here.

You just told me before the manager is here.

The manager for this department is not here.

Is there anyone who knows the price for this product.

I do not know.

How can I buy it if no one knows the price and can not tell me the price?

Come back another day when the manager is here.

When will the manager be here.

I do not know.

*** I have had several conversations like that with people working at the large stores selling household products and construction products and when they finished answering you .....they start to walk away.

Or ..finally someone comes and they know the price and I say OK, I want a new one ..not the display/sample one.... or several of them and they say:

Sorry no stock

Thailand, the land of frustrations

It's easier for them to say they don't have this or that to get rid of the foreigner (or Thai) quickly rather than make the effort or potentially appear silly when they don't find the item after checking.

Never forget this irate American in hardware store who on being told mai mee retorted with "mai mee, mai mee, why always MAI F'KIN MEE!!" lol

It is a mentality of sorts resulting in laziness or indifference and attitude, all too often

Not all of them of course but all too many of them and unfortunately common place.

On the other hand, I have met some of the store clerks that were brilliant and I was thinking, if I ever needed to hire some sharp people that display sincere effort to do their job correctly or with some degree of sensibilities, then I would hire some of those department store service clerks that I have been fortunate enough to be served by.

They deserve better than a store clerk job as you can see they are amongst the Thais that use their brains and exhaust all possibilities before they finally tell you: I am sorry but we do not have that item ...... but I know where you maybe can buy it.... and then direct you to another place.

Many time I have found what I was looking for by one of the Thai store clerks who knew for sure where to buy it or "thinks" such and such a place could or would have it.

But meantime, until you find what you are looking for you commonly have to wade through the stupidity and ignorance, laziness and attitude.

Cheers

As you have learned, while the literal translation of "mai mee" is "no have", it is widely used as a way of shrugging the person off regardless of whether or not they in fact have the item. In fact you will sometimes get the "mai mee" even when the item is clerarly behind them on the shelves, or before you have even named it.

Basically they are just trying to get rid of you. I think it even happens to Thai customers (as a way of the staff reducing their workload, especially if the item would require that they check, or fetch it from another part of the store). But it happens more with foreigners. Both because being outside the thai hierarchy, it is considered "safe" to disappoint or annoy foreigners, and becaye dealing iwth foreigners is more work/effort - harder to know what they are saying plus they often are seeking less common items.

Often it means "I don't know what you want and am unwilling to make an effort to find out" or even, if you have not yet even named the item, "I assume that dealing with you will be hard and I don't want to make the effort".

"Mai Dai" ("cannot") is the same story. More often means "I don't want to bother", "I don't know what it is/what you want" etc than that it is actually not possible to do whatever.

Patient but firm persistance is the best recourse. Smile and say "Kitwa mee...." (I think you do have...) and keep at it. Since the main impetus is to avoid effort, make it more of a hassle for them to take the "mai mee" or "mai dai" route than to just serve you in the first place.

I do not get "mai mee" I get 5 shop assistants surrounding me and following me down the aisles.