Western-style Sunday Buffets.

earlofwindermere

I've noticed that the thread on Sunday buffets is a bit old. I'm looking for an update on western-style buffets on Sunday (the ones with all of the fixings). When I was living there, the competition was between the Holiday Inn, Shangrila and the Dara Devi. Prices were around 500 baht which I know is high for some on here. I'm familiar with the more Asian-style places like the Empress but am looking particularly for the higher end western-style Sunday buffets. What are the top choices nowadays.

Thanks

Le Meridien is excellent. It's about 1,000 Baht for food though and another 1,000 Baht for as much as you can drink on top. I think it's great value for money and go there once a month.

I personally think it good value, the food is really good, especially if you like a decent wine with your meal.

Le Meridien is excellent. It's about 1,000 Baht for food though and another 1,000 Baht for as much as you can drink on top. I think it's great value for money and go there once a month.

I personally think it good value, the food is really good, especially if you like a decent wine with your meal.

Gecko bar ?.......yes ,real classy .lol (great for those on a budget though ) .

I usually go to the bars along Loi Kroh for a Sunday buffet, the ones with lots of balloons outsside, if theres none available on any given Sunday, I treat myself to a Gecko job

Gecko bar ?.......yes ,real classy .lol (great for those on a budget though ) .

I usually go to the bars along Loi Kroh for a Sunday buffet, the ones with lots of balloons outsside, if theres none available on any given Sunday, I treat myself to a Gecko job

I eat at home ,which is cheaper than Gecko ,but you beat me on the Balloon bars .B2000 aka LeMeridian ,would keep me in food for a month .

The Gecko bar has an all you can eat on a Sunday for 200 Baht

Now 220 baht still a great western buffet.

Went to one there years ago Christmas they had every thing except cranberry sauce. Have been off and on to the Breakfast ones they kept changing them and I finally just gave it up they weren't that great any how.

What gets me is the importance being placed on the wine. I wonder if the people touting it would go if there was no wine included.

Edit

Is it an all western buffet or like the Empress one with other nationalities?

Le Meridien has their 1000 baht Sunday buffet every week except the first Sunday of the month, when they have their Brunch Exclusivo on the first Sunday of the month at their Favola restaurant on the second floor. It's 2000 baht/person and if you book in advance you're greeted with a glass of sparkling wine and half a grilled Canadian lobster. We decided against purchasing the free flow wine package (another 900 baht) because we wanted to take our time in conversation and enjoying the huge assortment of food and not let wine dull our minds or make us sleepy in the middle of the day. The service was impeccable and the entire staff seemed to really enjoy pleasing their guests. At that price, it isn't something I'd do every month, but since it was a was very special day to enjoy.

Le Meridien has their 1000 baht Sunday buffet every week except the first Sunday of the month, when they have their Brunch Exclusivo on the first Sunday of the month at their Favola restaurant on the second floor. It's 2000 baht/person and if you book in advance you're greeted with a glass of sparkling wine and half a grilled Canadian lobster. We decided against purchasing the free flow wine package (another 900 baht) because we wanted to take our time in conversation and enjoying the huge assortment of food and not let wine dull our minds or make us sleepy in the middle of the day. The service was impeccable and the entire staff seemed to really enjoy pleasing their guests. At that price, it isn't something I'd do every month, but since it was a was very special day to enjoy.

What kind of food do they have ?

I may stop drinking for a night and spend the money on a feast instead

What kind of food do they have ?

I may stop drinking for a night and spend the money on a feast instead

Do a Google image search using the words "Chiang Mai Favola Brunch" https://www.google.co.th/search?q=Chiang+mai+favola+brunch&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6zJLxuvvKAhXQjo4KHa-iAHoQ_AUIBygB&biw=1366&bih=623

Take a look at the CityNow photos from the past couple Sunday brunches: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/favola-brunch-exclusivo-at-le-meridien-6/

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/favola-brunch-exclusivo-at-le-meridien-5/

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/favola-brunch-exclusivo-at-le-meridien-4/

The photos doesn't quite do it justice because they don't show the live cooking stations in action.

I've eaten brunch in many 5 star hotel chains round the world - the Ritz-Carlton, Raffles, Dusit, etc. and I think the food at Le Meridien is above average (though not the best - that remains the Ritz-Carlton in Dubai) for both their Sunday Brunch and their Christmas Brunch.

As for the booze... half our party is teetotal, another barely drinks 2 glasses of wine, I don't drink wine and normally drink 3-4 beers, and I have one friend who sees the cocktail list as a challenge to his masculinity and tries to imbibe them all at least twice. We all think it's great value.

Oh and food is both Western and Asian with a light hint of "international" doused over the whole thing.

What can be fun with dinner buffets is to skip breakfast and lunch (difficult if you are not used to fasting but easy once you've done it a few times). By the time you get to dinner, everything looks and tastes so much better. It really makes it more fun!

A big feast is can be really satisfying although I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once a week. However, doing it the way I suggested, due to the way our metabolisms work, you probably won't notice any weight gain or other health issues.

I am wondering if starving your self all day might tend to give you a better opinion of the quality of what you are eating. At that price I would imagine you want Quality.

Take a look at the CityNow photos from the past couple Sunday brunches:

The photos doesn't quite do it justice because they don't show the live cooking stations in action.

That cheeseboard certainly looks very good, as do several of the other things on offer. Did I spot King Crab at the back of the cold seafood section?

How does the regular weekly 1000B version compare with the monthly 2000B version? I don't think there were any photos of the former.

Take a look at the CityNow photos from the past couple Sunday brunches:

That cheeseboard certainly looks very good, as do several of the other things on offer. Did I spot King Crab at the back of the cold seafood section?

How does the regular weekly 1000B version compare with the monthly 2000B version? I don't think there were any photos of the former.

I did a Google Image search using the words "Le meridien chiang mai sunday buffet" but some of the photos shown were definitely of the once-a-month Favola buffet.

As I recall, not as many cheese selections, nor as many cold cured meats. I don't think there was any King Crab. I'm not a fan anyway of crab claws -- too much work involved to get at the meat. They do have some seafood at the 1000 baht buffet. Not as many dessert options. And the setting isn't quite as elegant,

But the 1000 baht buffet is still very much value for money. And you can join their Starwood Preferred Guest program for free and receive a discount. I think it's 15% so that basically takes care of the "plus, plus" that's added to the bill (7% VAT + 10% SC -- pretty much a standard practice at 5 star venues) It could be a 20% discount, but I'm too lazy to look it up now.

Main items not included in the 1,000baht option is the 1/2 lobster, Alaska king crab, Canadian rib eye and foie gras. Most other items are included just scaled down. Both are excellent value but the first Sunday of the month is certainly the best deal but as stated you do need to book in advance.

Main items not included in the 1,000baht option is the 1/2 lobster, Alaska king crab, Canadian rib eye and foie gras. Most other items are included just scaled down. Both are excellent value but the first Sunday of the month is certainly the best deal but as stated you do need to book in advance.

The Le Meridien staff has told me that many months, the first Sunday Favola restaurant brunch is totally booked in advance. You'd be a fool not to book in advance -- that's how you get the "complimentary" glass of sparkling wine and the half grilled Canadian lobster -- both a great way to start the experience. And with the half lobster, it's split in half like a chicken is, so it's very easy to eat. Not like picking meat out of lobster claws -- another seafood eating activity I don't enjoy, at least not at a 5 star restaurant. To me, picking crab-meat or peeling cold boiled shrimp is something you do over newspaper with cold beer -- having lived in the U.S. Gulf Coast for a time.

Not a buffet but for 250 baht you can enjoy a massive Sunday roast at Pappa Rocks on the ring road at Mae Hia.

As for buffets I favour the Holiday Inn, but really enjoyed one at the Shangri-La a few months ago. 1,000 baht each and freeflow wine and cocktails (yes cocktails are included)for another 1,000 baht. They are open till 3pm so if you get there for 11.30 start you get more booze than offered at the Holiday Inn, though they are cheaper...hic...hah

Not a buffet but for 250 baht you can enjoy a massive Sunday roast at Pappa Rocks on the ring road at Mae Hia.

As for buffets I favour the Holiday Inn, but really enjoyed one at the Shangri-La a few months ago. 1,000 baht each and freeflow wine and cocktails (yes cocktails are included)for another 1,000 baht. They are open till 3pm so if you get there for 11.30 start you get more booze than offered at the Holiday Inn, though they are cheaper...hic...hah

I've found the Shangri La to be more hit than miss in most circumstances. Been 5 times... and it's been worse every single time. Started well in the Chinese restaurant but then just kind of fell off a cliff in terms of quality, quantity and service. Couldn't recommend it to anyone based on my experiences there. Shangri-La globally seem to be pretty random too - Dubai and Beijing, for example, are awesome but Chiang Mai and Shenzhen, for another example, aren't very good at all.

Gecko Bar. Don't get me wrong it's great value and have a nice selection of drinks but wouldn't touch the food with a bargepole.

On two separate occasions been there for food and within an hour was vomitting and had the s**ts .

Also know friends who have had the same after eating there.

I guess the value of the food shows when paying such a cheap price for western foods.

This of course is just my opinion but wouldn't recommend ordering food there.

Gecko Bar. Don't get me wrong it's great value and have a nice selection of drinks but wouldn't touch the food with a bargepole.

On two separate occasions been there for food and within an hour was vomitting and had the s**ts .

Also know friends who have had the same after eating there.

I guess the value of the food shows when paying such a cheap price for western foods.

This of course is just my opinion but wouldn't recommend ordering food there.

Hygiene in the kitchen would be my concern ,as outside looks quite filthy .Then again its cheap and most people seem ok with it .

Archived