5 dead, more than 20 injured in bus-truck head-on collision in Kamphaeng Phet

webfact

Five died, more than 20 injured in bus-truck head-on collision in Kamphaeng Phet

160208-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Five people, including a Myanmar woman, died and more than 20 injured when an inter provincial bus collided head-on with a sugar truck on Phaholyothin highway in Khlong Khlung district of Kamphaeng Phet early Tuesday.

The double-decker bus, belonged to Phetprasert Tour Co, was on the way from Trat to Mae Sot with about 45 people on board, including some Myanmar passengers.

As the bus, driven by a driver identified only as Noi, arrived near Kilometre marker 413 of highway in Khlong Khlung district of Kamphaeng Phet, it collided with an oncoming 18-wheel truck with full load of sugar which was from Nakhon Sawan.

The head-on collision killed both drivers of the bus and truck and two other passengers, who include a Myanmar man and a woman.

All the injured were later rushed to Khlong Khlung district hospital.

Initial investigation by Khlong Khlung police revealed that the bus was on the lane of the truck while the bus driver tried to overtake another vehicle before reaching a road construction site where the highway lanes were reduced to two.

The collision threw the bus off the highway and overturned, spilling some passengers out.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151098

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-16

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headline... 5 Dead.

From the story "The head-on collision killed both drivers of the bus and truck and two other passengers, who include a Myanmar man and a woman."

I may be old and I know my math skills are not what they used to be, BUT, 2 drivers killed, plus 2 passengers. Last time I checked, 2+2=4 not 5.

I do wish Thai reporters would check their facts, and proofread the stories.

... and the road carnage continues.

I don't understand why the government doesn't make these lazy ass police get out of their "police boxes" and patrol the roads for these idiot drivers.

You make very valid comment, however this was simply the fault of the driver making a wrong and dangerous decision to pass in an area where there were apparently road works in progress (road narrows).

An all too common happening it seems. Looks like the army boys are doing some police work too.

I don't understand why the government doesn't make these lazy ass police get out of their "police boxes" and patrol the roads for these idiot drivers.

You make very valid comment, however this was simply the fault of the driver making a wrong and dangerous decision to pass in an area where there were apparently road works in progress (road narrows).

An all too common happening it seems. Looks like the army boys are doing some police work too.

But if the police had roving patrols, they'd see stuff like this. You can't see these problems sitting at a road side checkpoint collecting money.

I was driving outside Buriram a few years ago. I had to drive for about an hour after dark to get to our hotel. A cardinal sin in my book. As I was going down the 2 lane highway, a bus coming the other way was passing and flashed it's lights at me to get over. Literally ran me off the road. Hit a huge pothole. It was scary. They are a menace and should be dealt with appropriately.

I hope for a speedy recovery to those injured.

RIP to the dead.
The reporter seems to have gotten some parts wrong... As already stated 2+2=4 and either the truck was heading to Nakorn Sawan or the bus was going from Mae Sot otherwise that could not get a head on collision.

One problem is that they are remaking parts of the highway (I'm not sure how far but it's over 30km) so instead of being 2 lanes in each direction with a buffer area between there is just one lane in each direction, they are not doing one side of the highway at a time so you must change lanes at several places and at some areas it's back to using all the lanes. Add to that the more intense traffic of sugar cane trucks as there are 2 large sugar mills and Ajinomoto in Klong Klung.

BTW. I love taking the overnight bus either to BKK, Chang Mai or when going to Laos and I hope that the Land Transport Department gets their fingers out of their ... and get all these new rules and regulations implemented so that they can get the dangerous drivers of the roads.

You only have to drive in a highway construction area with signs stating ‘no overtaking’ and that is just what some drivers do, even with oncoming traffic.

I can guess the Thai logic here and have witnessed it; I am a big bus and have right of way so will flash my headlights; meanwhile the truck driver is thinking I am a big truck and have right of way so will flash my headlights.

Of course the police are nowhere to be seen.

RIP to the poor passengers.

"The head-on collision killed both drivers of the bus and truck and two other passengers, who include a Myanmar man and a woman."

Both drivers of the bus (bus has 2 drivers) = 2 (apparently in this case the bus has 2 drivers, that probably take turns driving).

And driver of truck = 1

And two passengers = 2

2 + 2+ 1 =5

Ver sad incident, but likely little will come of it.... shrug of the shoulders & just another statistic in Thailand's appalling road trauma incidents.

The article states ".....spilling some passengers out." Thought seat belts in buses were compulsory, though guess not wearing of same!

The Prayut Gov't needs to implement a strong & ongoing road trauma reduction program.

Plenty of such programs in other countries to easily adopt/adapt.

So the bus was in the truck's lane...That means the bus was trying to pass a vehicle and crossed into the oncoming lane to pass...

Thai drivers don't drive to road conditions...should a bus full of passengers take the chance to pass by using an on-coming lane? answer - never; wait for the passing lane down the road....

Why do Thai drivers have this fetish to pass w/o reading road conditions? They take high risk behaviors all the time for the savings of a few seconds....dunb ass stupid by putting all drivers around them at unnecessary high risk...

"The head-on collision killed both drivers of the bus and truck and two other passengers, who include a Myanmar man and a woman."

Both drivers of the bus (bus has 2 drivers) = 2 (apparently in this case the bus has 2 drivers, that probably take turns driving).

And driver of truck = 1

And two passengers = 2

2 + 2+ 1 =5

The bus driver who had just been relieved is alive............He was asleep at the time of the accident

You only have to drive in a highway construction area with signs stating ‘no overtaking’ and that is just what some drivers do, even with oncoming traffic.

I can guess the Thai logic here and have witnessed it; I am a big bus and have right of way so will flash my headlights; meanwhile the truck driver is thinking I am a big truck and have right of way so will flash my headlights.

Of course the police are nowhere to be seen.

RIP to the poor passengers.

Signs ?

Yes 10 meter before the construction site , that's the real problem here !

Take the sting ou t of penalizing the bus driver doesn't it?

How many times have we all been flashed by a bus doing this? Or a truck for that matter? Or a car.

I am flashing my lights. I am doing something illegal and stupid. Just letting you know.. . . . Jeeze thanks bra

Headline... 5 Dead.

From the story "The head-on collision killed both drivers of the bus and truck and two other passengers, who include a Myanmar man and a woman."

I may be old and I know my math skills are not what they used to be, BUT, 2 drivers killed, plus 2 passengers. Last time I checked, 2+2=4 not 5.

I do wish Thai reporters would check their facts, and proofread the stories.

... and the road carnage continues.

As usual the wonderful fabulous members of TV concern themselves over a bit of maths - and could not care less about the people who died.

Has this forum become so immune to the death of someone's mother, sister , aunt , wife. Grandmother etc

Many have had a discussion before- please if you are making pathetic comments ( of course you think you are being cynically funny)- spare a thought for the dead .

Of course you are so bored watching cassava grow- have nothing better to do.

Just grow up.

I don't think their driving habits will ever improve. I've been driving here since 2001 and I really think instead of getting better they are getting a lot worse. The wife and I just yesterday made a trip from Lampang to Mae Sot and by the time we returned I was worn out from the near misses,the road construction, and the just plain idiots driving. The road from Tak to Mae Sot has been greatly improved since 2001. It used to be 2 lanes most of the way and was white knuckle driving, never knowing what awaited you at the next curve or hill. They've added many passing lanes for the big slow over loaded trucks to move over to, but quess where these dorks drive, yes in the passing lane because they've ruined the left lane forcing you in that rough left lane to pass them. I think that will be my last trip up that road, from now on, even though it's a lot farther, I'm going to Mae Sai for boarder runs and shopping.

And driver of truck = 1

And two passengers = 2

2 + 2+ 1 =5

You may be correct, but the wording is unclear, as states "..killed both drivers of the bus and truck and two other passengers....". I read that as both (two)drivers of the bus, the truck driver & 2 passengers.

Whatever the number, it's once again too many loss of lives & injuries & Prayut Gov't needs to seriously address high level of road trauma inThailand.

But as usual, there will be a shrug of shoulders & lives will be just another statistic !!