How many tourist stamps can a US passport get?

I have a business in Myanmar. I hold a US passport and come into Thailand on 30-day stamps and have been for the past ten months. I generally stay for three weeks, then go to Yangon for one week. I have an apartment in Bangkok (rental). Sometimes, I travel elsewhere, like New York or Berlin. Monthly travel is not a problem.

This last time I came in, at Suvarnubhumi, I was questioned by immigration (asked what I was doing in Thailand). I'm not working here, mostly just kickboxing and doing some writing. I have no problem showing 20,000 baht in cash at any time, and I have no problem buying plane tickets in advance to show I intend on leaving.

Question: how long can I do this? How long can I get tourist stamps without applying for a visa? I was thinking of starting an office here, but the regulations are too cumbersome (with the local hire requirement and filings), so I'd rather not bother, but I'd like to keep staying in Thailand and kickboxing and enjoying life. What's the best course of action with regards to immigration and visas?

Note: Ideally, I would like to continue staying in Thailand for three or four weeks at a time, then travel outside (to Myanmar or elsewhere) for a week or two before returning for another three or four weeks. I just don't want hassles at immigration.

Also: Please note I am 32 years old. I do not believe I qualify for a non-O visa.

Edited by songhypnosis

"Note: Ideally, I would like to continue staying in Thailand for three or four weeks at a time, then travel outside (to Myanmar or elsewhere) for a week or two before returning for another three or four weeks. I just don't want hassles at immigration."

If you continue to use visa exempt entries in the manner described above you will also continue to attract the attention of the immigration officers.

Whilst there is no legal limit to the number of visa-exempt entries that can be made the Immigration service is actively discouraging people from using VE's as a means of staying/living in Thailand. The IO's could easily find a means of legally denying entry.

You best plan if wanting to avoid attracting attention is to obtain a tourist visa from a Thai embassy/Consulate.

• Like 1

The immigration officer gets an alert when you reach 6 visa exempt entries so that they can check your history to see if you are trying to live here on them. They cannot deny you entry for having to many of them since there is no written rule that limits them. The most common denial of entry is for lack of financial proof or suspicion of working here under section 12 of the immigration act. If you have the equivalent of 20k baht cash and proof of an income from outside the county that would reduce the chance of being denied entry.

You could get a single entry tourist visa that would give you a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. For short trips out of the country you could get re-entry permits to keep the 60 days and/or the extension valid when you return. Getting one of those would make your history look better when they check when you do more visa exempt entries after it finishes.

You could also get the new multiple entry tourist visa during one of your trips to the states. The visa allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue.

Edit: Forgot to mention the Thai Elite option that would allow you to get a visa valid for 5 years that allows unlimited one year entries. See: http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php