Khon Kaen – What facilities are there that a Farang can use.

Keith5588

Personally, I would recommend Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai ahead of the Issan area. And I'm wondering how one poster can say there are first class golf courses in Khon Kaen, first class compared to what?

Chiang Mai is fully developed with respect to various cuisines, Chiang Rai less so. Chiang Mai has several good golf courses, the pick of the north western courses is Santiburi near Chiang Rai, a Trent Jones III design. If the OP wants clubs, CM is awash with them.

Village life in Thailand is what you make of it. Some find the noise annoying; however, when you realise it's only certain times and dates ( at least in the village I go to ) one can learn to live with it. However, I do like the flexibility of going back to CM when the mood takes me.

I've only seen Khon Kaen once, on a tour of Issan. The only thing about it that piqued my interest was the large number of CNG ( NGV ) stations there, compared to the rest of Thailand.

I am not a golfer but not far from me south of Khonkaen is Singha park golf course and I would put that down as first class standard, I will not comment on other courses here as I don't play.

Living here has its ups and downs, but I live on 3 rai and i am very happy just doing jobs around the place and the odd trip into town when need be.

" I am not a golfer"? " I don't play"? How can you possibly have an informed opinion on the subject? That's like me proferring an opinion on a brand of bicycle when I know nothing about them, or a wine I've never tasted.

It's possible your impressions are guided by how well the courses appear to be manicured. There are a lot more facets to golf course design than that.

It's also possible that your illusion is that your wife looks 20.

Dream on.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a golfer but not far from me south of Khonkaen is Singha park golf course and I would put that down as first class standard, I will not comment on other courses here as I don't play.

Living here has its ups and downs, but I live on 3 rai and i am very happy just doing jobs around the place and the odd trip into town when need be.

" I am not a golfer"? " I don't play"? How can you possibly have an informed opinion on the subject? That's like me proferring an opinion on a brand of bicycle when I know nothing about them, or a wine I've never tasted.

It's possible your impressions are guided by how well the courses appear to be manicured. There are a lot more facets to golf course design than that.

Dream on.

It's also possible you are a person of high intelligence and good manners. P = 0.000000000001

Dream on.

It's also possible you are a person of high intelligence and good manners. P = 0.000000000001

Unlikely though.

My wife and i moved to her village about 5 months ago.We have a nice house and i still enjoy the village life.It was a pleasant change for living in Pattaya.We had a bar there for some 4 years,but when thing's changed and the new style tourist started coming to Thiland,we decided that enough was enough.We sold up and moved to Nam Phong,about 30 klms out side Khon kaen.Although i enjoy the village life i felt it was time for us to get out and make some noise. we did it on the spur of the moment.I booked an hotel on line.Now,in no way am i keeniou,but i do begrudge spending fortunes on hotels,when all I'm going to do is sleep there.I checked the Pullman and the Cosa.They wanted about 168$ for one night,my spirits were dampened until i came across an hotel called the Tamarind ResidenceTheir double room with tv,fridge and air con,was 500 Bht.I looked at the pictures of the room and i thought that it was embellished for the viewer. I booked it.We got the bus to Khonkaen and a taxi to the hotel.When we got there, we found a delightful young lady,with good English behind the counter.We went to the room,What a surprise! the room was nice.Clean,nice wet room,quality sheets on the bed.Satellite tv,Air con,fridge with soda,and free wifi.My wife was happy(and thats all that mattered)i was relieved.The only thing was(and it didnt bother me or her)was that there was no beer on site,but that wasn't a problem The girl called us a taxi to go to the Pullman hotel where the western bars were.The taxi immediately put his meter on,it was a 40 baht trip of 5/10 minutes and it was worth the 20 baht tip i gave him.The bars were great,the lady's never got in our face trying to push drinks on us,We were left alone to play pool and even the toilets were clean and smelled of air freshener. All the bars (of which there are about 8) charged the same prices,95 for a big Leo and 65 for a small one.The ferangs were not loud or rude,and i had a good time chatting to them,young and old alike.In fact it was a pleasant surprise to what we were used to back in Pattaya.We had a good meal in a bistro type restaurant,which was also reasonably priced( i can recommend the spring rolls and tuna and egg salad.We visited all the bars and i can quite honestly say we felt safe and comfortable around the area.We got a taxi about midnight back to the hotel and had a good nights sleep.In the morning there was coffee and toast in the morning.We left about 10 am and were home by 11.30.I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and promised to make it a regular night out.it was a welcome break.

I can recommend Erics bar,where the lady owner is a pleasant woman,who the time to talk to us,she was interested to know we had a bar in Pattaya.She bought us both a large JD.All in all it was a great time.No taxi rip offs,all the taxis we used that night used their meters.Even the Tuk Tuk man gave us a price before we got in.50 baht from the bust station to our hotel,which was a 15 minute ride.

So people can say what they like about kk being out in the stick's we had a great time, I originaly was expecting to be paying Pattaya prices from the start,but it was nothing like it.What a pleasant change.We will deffinatley be going again.

If you havent been yet,give it a go,you will enjoy and be surprised by it.

Kho kaen rocks.

Btw,if you are a single guy looking for girlie fun,you wont be sorry,all the lady bars we saw in every bar were pretty and pleasant.A different take on Thai night life.

KKD

BaldPlumber,yeah, Ive always wondered about that 'New York minute' i think in the future i shall refer to time as 'an East End half hour.

Are you,or were really a plumber? i was a plumber for years.I dont now where you are from, but i used to do a lot of work for Haydon's and Mathew Hall.had a firm for some 20 years in South East London/Kent borders.But that was back in the day when we used to wipe lead joints and chimney flashings.Did a lot of big work too.Chelsea Harbour for Crown house and Westminster and Chealsea Hospital.Did a lot of domestic,bath rooms,heating etc.I dont know how old you are,but i remember the first combi boilers.

Anyway enough of that.

Just saying.

KKD

I live in a village,about 30 klms from Khon kaen.I am an avid reader and i like to have a book to hand when find things a bit quiet,or my wife is having one of her,staring into space hours and in a world of her own.I was wondering if anyone knows of a book shop where i can buy Ferang novel's.I am a fiction reader and enjoy author's like Stephen Leather,Shuan Hutson and the like.Yes! I like to be transported and entertained.Where i lived in Pattaya there were lots of book shops that catered for us.A few cafe's used to run a library on the side.There was one in soi Chiaphum called Canterbury Tales,it worked on a 'buy a book,return a book' system.Is there anything like that in Khon kaen?and if so,where?

Thanks in advance

KKD

I live in a village,about 30 klms from Khon kaen.I am an avid reader and i like to have a book to hand when find things a bit quiet,or my wife is having one of her,staring into space hours and in a world of her own.I was wondering if anyone knows of a book shop where i can buy Ferang novel's.I am a fiction reader and enjoy author's like Stephen Leather,Shuan Hutson and the like.Yes! I like to be transported and entertained.Where i lived in Pattaya there were lots of book shops that catered for us.A few cafe's used to run a library on the side.There was one in soi Chiaphum called Canterbury Tales,it worked on a 'buy a book,return a book' system.Is there anything like that in Khon kaen?and if so,where?

Thanks in advance

KKD

When my mate Dave ran number1 bar he used to have books to swap, new owners now but I am sure the books are still there.

Thanks in advance

KKD

Sorry I don't know anything about Khon Kaen, but I can recommend Dasa Book Cafe in Bangkok. I have been using their mail order service for yonks, since early days when they were just setting up the system.

They have a large list of books, including plenty of fiction, and send out by EMS. I have never had any problems with their deliveries or exchange/return service.

Maybe worth you taking a look if unsuccessful in Khon Kaen.

I too am an avid reader of fiction, so good luck.

If giving the website is in order, it is www.dasabookcafe.com

Edited by elwood

E-books, they have been a life saver for me. I have been reading them for the 13 years I have been living in my village. I read them off my 5" screen phone, but have used smaller screened phones. Once you get used to it, less than an hour reading, I doubt you'll ever read a paper book again. Forum rules don't allow promoting illegal activity, so I will leave it up to you how you get your books, but with a little research it is very easy.

Khon Kaen is not a bad city as Thai cities go and I believe does have the sporting facilities you enjoy , also very good golf courses .

If you want to live in Thailand choose your location first , find a girlfriend in the location of your choice .

You have sussed out rural Thailand fairly well , unspeakably boring !!! You are right , if you spoke perfect Thai there is nothing much to have a conversation about , other than domestic essentials .

I'm married to a beautiful woman 55yrs old , head teacher of a school , owner of two houses and farmland . We live in a large rural amphur village with good facilities about 74kms from Khon Kaen , about an hour's drive . I would have liked to live much farther south in Thailand , near the sea , beautiful beaches , to have had a sailing boat : but from where we live the sea is too far away other than to go for an occasional holiday . Come to Thailand with a retirement visa , if you find a girlfriend , have a local Thai style marriage , NOT an official amphur marriage , in the event that things don't work out you can just walk away with no legal strings attached . You can buy a Condo in your name , don't buy a house in a girlfriend/wife's name , rent , better still live in the wife's house .

If you are into a lot of sex , especially older wives might not provide it , far better and cheaper to pay for it as you go .

agree, i dont undersatand why so many foreigners choose to live in inland villages, life must be so boring.

there is so much coastline here, why not base yourself in a village/area by the sea? village life would still be boring but the opportunities for relaxation, exercise and sightseeing would be so much greater

I live in a small village and the only exercise I like to do, is walking, and I have abundant places to walk with lovely scenery around to enjoy, and plenty of places to go sightseeing. The sea is nice, but go lay in a hammock amongst the rice fields with a nice breeze, and enjoy the clean air, and silence of nature. It is great. Different strokes for different folks. One thing though it is a lot easier to take a vacation at a seaside resort with all the amenities, than to do the same in an Isaan Village. I like the village life and if I want to see the sea, I will vacation there.

If you into swimming and gym, this place is okay

https://www.facebook.com/mso.fitness.kk/

If I remember correct they give 3 day trial for free and monthly 1800 Baht or a years membership 12K. It's a new place with nice amenities and not very crowded.

Don't believe all the BS that old sourpusses give you here. Khon Kaen is a great city with all kinds of possibilities. If you gang up with the permanently drunk barflies, don't expect any rewards.

The language barrier is stronger here since locals speak very little English but in my estimate those who don't constantly drink or get involved in some kind of scam, are generally friendly and nice people. It takes it's time to get to know the good guys. Those seeking immediately your friendship are best avoided.

I've been here ten and a half years, not many people remain here that were around then.

Ask anybody if it is as good as, say, two or three years ago. Ninety plus percent will tell you it is not.

I've been here longer than that and most of my friends from back then are still here. We must mix in different circles.

I go to the Pulman fitness centre for a swim/workout. I have played tennis at Saragan for many years. I golf but don't think the courses are that good. Even the new 18 holes at the army is no better than when it only had 9 holes. Dancoon is passable, Nam Pong is good. I think the railway course is closed now?

Perhaps you need a trip back 'home' Duncan to put things into perspective.

I've been here ten and a half years, not many people remain here that were around then.Ask anybody if it is as good as, say, two or three years ago. Ninety plus percent will tell you it is not.

I've been around 10+ years also and I am in that 10% minority.

If I understand it right you still live in Khon Kaen and yet are not happy. So what has changed according to you?

I see KK has grown, becoming more modern - and expensive - and having more places to go. On top of that various supermarkets have improved the selection of food variety and I can easily find what I am looking for.

Regarding the city center I try to avoid it during rush hours and would not like to live in center since the traffic and pollution is quite high.

Things change and I think for the better.

The main change is the people it attracts. When I came it was relatively unknown to a lot of people. A few, not too many, local bars, similar to back home, people of all nationalities used to meet up regularly for a chat and a drink, no bar girls, no bill padding, and no trouble, as more or less everyone knew each other.

Over the years peoples drinking habits have changed, mine included, and the town does not have that same atmosphere as before. Nearly every bar has bar girls, and you would struggle to find a local bar as they have all moved on.

Your point about produce in supermarkets is a good one, but exactly how much time per week does one spend in a supermarket ? I, personally, spend as little time as necessary in them.

The walkways in Khon Kaen are a disgrace and an accident waiting to happen. It is not possible to go for a nice walk, without keeping your eyes fixed to the ground in front of you, to spot the obstacles ahead of you. This includes the walkway around Beung Kaen Nakhorn which I walk regularly.

Finally, I am not unhappy here, I have a good life, and I enjoy it. But I feel a move to pastures new would be a better option for me, and hope to move on in the near future.

There were plenty of bar girls 10.5 years ago. Remember the gogo bar opposite the Khon Kaen hotel?

Bars may have changed but in all my years here I've been in an expat bar 10 times or so, apart from one that little John used to run for a game of pool. Those guys who hang out in the bars near the kosa look so sad.

I've been here ten and a half years, not many people remain here that were around then.Ask anybody if it is as good as, say, two or three years ago. Ninety plus percent will tell you it is not.

If I understand it right you still live in Khon Kaen and yet are not happy. So what has changed according to you?

I see KK has grown, becoming more modern - and expensive - and having more places to go. On top of that various supermarkets have improved the selection of food variety and I can easily find what I am looking for.

Regarding the city center I try to avoid it during rush hours and would not like to live in center since the traffic and pollution is quite high.

The main change is the people it attracts. When I came it was relatively unknown to a lot of people. A few, not too many, local bars, similar to back home, people of all nationalities used to meet up regularly for a chat and a drink, no bar girls, no bill padding, and no trouble, as more or less everyone knew each other.

Over the years peoples drinking habits have changed, mine included, and the town does not have that same atmosphere as before. Nearly every bar has bar girls, and you would struggle to find a local bar as they have all moved on.

Your point about produce in supermarkets is a good one, but exactly how much time per week does one spend in a supermarket ? I, personally, spend as little time as necessary in them.

The walkways in Khon Kaen are a disgrace and an accident waiting to happen. It is not possible to go for a nice walk, without keeping your eyes fixed to the ground in front of you, to spot the obstacles ahead of you. This includes the walkway around Beung Kaen Nakhorn which I walk regularly.

Finally, I am not unhappy here, I have a good life, and I enjoy it. But I feel a move to pastures new would be a better option for me, and hope to move on in the near future.

There were plenty of bar girls 10.5 years ago. Remember the gogo bar opposite the Khon Kaen hotel?

Bars may have changed but in all my years here I've been in an expat bar 10 times or so, apart from one that little John used to run for a game of pool. Those guys who hang out in the bars near the kosa look so sad.

Yes, I remember the Silver Saloon. Hardly plenty of bar girls !

My point is, up to about 3 years ago, bar girls in Khon Kaen were rare, and the bar atmosphere was good. Everybody knew each other, and most bars had an atmosphere similar to a 'local' back home.

Those days are gone.

Friday was a great night out, but friends report that town is dead now.

The old Friday night lads still meet up, but we all go by the lake, and it still is a great night.

Better setting, no girls hassling for lady drinks, far cheaper beer, to name a few things, and a good time is had by all.

My point is, up to about 3 years ago, bar girls in Khon Kaen were rare, and the bar atmosphere was good. Everybody knew each other, and most bars had an atmosphere similar to a 'local' back home.

Those days are gone.

The old Friday night lads still meet up, but we all go by the lake, and it still is a great night.

Better setting, no girls hassling for lady drinks, far cheaper beer, to name a few things, and a good time is had by all.

might it be that you are all 10 yrs older?

Those days are gone.

might it be that you are all 10 yrs older?

Yes, we are all 10 years older, and we are all still great friends. However, Khon Kaen city centre is also 10 years on, but it has taken a turn in the wrong direction, in my opinion.

Years ago, any bar owner here would have been reluctant to sell, unless a ridiculous amount of money was offered.

I believe every bar here is now for sale, including the one that was only purchased a couple of months ago !

I still like it here, but choose to spend my time away from the, once vibrant, city centre.

What is a "New York second" and is it different to a second in other cities?

Hopefully, someone can answer within a Huddersfield minute or at least within Lincoln hour.

A New York minute is an instant. Or as Johnny Carson once said, it's the interval between a Manhattan traffic light turning green and the guy behind you honking his horn.

It appears to have originated in Texas around 1967. It is a reference to the frenzied and hectic pace of New Yorkers' lives. A New Yorker does in an instant what a Texan would take a minute to do.

a hudderfield minute is how long you want to stay there, a lincoln hour is how long it takes to get into lincoln city centre at rush hour.

Liked number one bar when Dave was running it, is it still as good in there?? Or which is the best bar now?? Is Dave still breeding dogs??

Dave built himself a house on a few rai and breeds goats and has other animals now it is called white house farm, he does not breed dogs no more.

He is over in the UK at the moment and sadly I report he has had a heart attack, he is doing OK but they found a slight problem and he will be having a operation over there.

Liked number one bar when Dave was running it, is it still as good in there?? Or which is the best bar now?? Is Dave still breeding dogs??

Dave built himself a house on a few rai and breeds goats and has other animals now it is called white house farm, he does not breed dogs no more.

He is over in the UK at the moment and sadly I report he has had a heart attack, he is doing OK but they found a slight problem and he will be having a operation over there.

I only met him once when he initially took over the bar. He was a decent bloke. He isn't that old. Hope he gets better soon.

Edited by Johnniey

My wife and i moved to her village about 5 months ago.We have a nice house and i still enjoy the village life.It was a pleasant change for living in Pattaya.We had a bar there for some 4 years,but when thing's changed and the new style tourist started coming to Thiland,we decided that enough was enough.We sold up and moved to Nam Phong,about 30 klms out side Khon kaen.Although i enjoy the village life i felt it was time for us to get out and make some noise. we did it on the spur of the moment.I booked an hotel on line.Now,in no way am i keeniou,but i do begrudge spending fortunes on hotels,when all I'm going to do is sleep there.I checked the Pullman and the Cosa.They wanted about 168$ for one night,my spirits were dampened until i came across an hotel called the Tamarind ResidenceTheir double room with tv,fridge and air con,was 500 Bht.I looked at the pictures of the room and i thought that it was embellished for the viewer. I booked it.We got the bus to Khonkaen and a taxi to the hotel.When we got there, we found a delightful young lady,with good English behind the counter.We went to the room,What a surprise! the room was nice.Clean,nice wet room,quality sheets on the bed.Satellite tv,Air con,fridge with soda,and free wifi.My wife was happy(and thats all that mattered)i was relieved.The only thing was(and it didnt bother me or her)was that there was no beer on site,but that wasn't a problem The girl called us a taxi to go to the Pullman hotel where the western bars were.The taxi immediately put his meter on,it was a 40 baht trip of 5/10 minutes and it was worth the 20 baht tip i gave him.The bars were great,the lady's never got in our face trying to push drinks on us,We were left alone to play pool and even the toilets were clean and smelled of air freshener. All the bars (of which there are about 8) charged the same prices,95 for a big Leo and 65 for a small one.The ferangs were not loud or rude,and i had a good time chatting to them,young and old alike.In fact it was a pleasant surprise to what we were used to back in Pattaya.We had a good meal in a bistro type restaurant,which was also reasonably priced( i can recommend the spring rolls and tuna and egg salad.We visited all the bars and i can quite honestly say we felt safe and comfortable around the area.We got a taxi about midnight back to the hotel and had a good nights sleep.In the morning there was coffee and toast in the morning.We left about 10 am and were home by 11.30.I have to say that we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and promised to make it a regular night out.it was a welcome break.

I can recommend Erics bar,where the lady owner is a pleasant woman,who the time to talk to us,she was interested to know we had a bar in Pattaya.She bought us both a large JD.All in all it was a great time.No taxi rip offs,all the taxis we used that night used their meters.Even the Tuk Tuk man gave us a price before we got in.50 baht from the bust station to our hotel,which was a 15 minute ride.

So people can say what they like about kk being out in the stick's we had a great time, I originaly was expecting to be paying Pattaya prices from the start,but it was nothing like it.What a pleasant change.We will deffinatley be going again.

Kho kaen rocks.

Btw,if you are a single guy looking for girlie fun,you wont be sorry,all the lady bars we saw in every bar were pretty and pleasant.A different take on Thai night life.

KKD

good points but the Kosa is only 1000 baht booked on agoda good value and much better location than tamirind... i think the pullman is around 2500 baht or so also good value...

Kho kaen rocks.

KKD

good points but the Kosa is only 1000 baht booked on agoda good value and much better location than tamirind... i think the pullman is around 2500 baht or so also good value...

Lots of reasonably priced, relatively newer hotels in Khon Kaen nowadays.

For the centre, Charda Veranda on Srichan Road is probably the best value.

For a nicer setting, many newish hotels around Beung Kaen Nakhorn starting from 550 baht per night.

Stayed at the Charda Veranda couple of months ago. 690/night. Very comfortable and central. Nothing happening at the hotel itself though. Going to try the Kosa next time just for fun. Must admit though that the area was hardly buzzing with nightlife and as someone pointed out above most of the bar customers looked downright miserable. Found a gem of a restaurant though.

Don't live in the village rent a house in the city and all the amenities you mentioned are available.

Khonkaen university has a 50 meter pool and very cheap to use and many other amenities like tennis and badminton, for a walk bung kaen nakon is a great lake to walk and run around, also some great golf courses too.

Just don't become a barfly more to life than sitting in a bar.

My understanding of that pool is that it is not very clean better to recommend the pool at the condo facility near the lake but it is 100 plus baht if I remember and not that suitable for laps.

Stayed at the Charda Veranda couple of months ago. 690/night. Very comfortable and central. Nothing happening at the hotel itself though. Going to try the Kosa next time just for fun. Must admit though that the area was hardly buzzing with nightlife and as someone pointed out above most of the bar customers looked downright miserable. Found a gem of a restaurant though.

Chada Veranda good value. I like the Kosa if you can get a room for 1000 baht. Not a bad pool either. Best nightlife is down the street nearby with the Thai bars not the beer bars but if you are into beer bars and expats, shooting pool, etc. it is prety lame. Better to go to Udon maybe for that type of thing.

Well I live in a small family hamlet 25km from Ubon Ratchathani, there is a smallish village 2.5- 3km in both directions, and I enjoy my lifestyle here. Not for everyone, assuredly. I lived in Mabprachan area, Pattaya for three years before moving here seven years ago, and have never really looked back. We still keep the 'big house' down there, and visit once or twice a year. It is a pleasant change, but strictly a holiday. Ubon is home, and no plans to move on.

Frankly, anyone can throw their opinions and experiences at you in this kind of thread, but you really don't know until you try for yourself. It is the 'bad luck' stories that tend to get propagated more. My advice- rent for a while, don't buy yet, and decide for yourself. Most of us that actually like living in Isaan would prefer that anyway- make sure it is right for you.