International Drivers License vs Thai Drivers License

ftpjtm

A Thai license is cheaper than $20. You only need to show your valid US license, passport, medical cert (approx 100 baht) and cert of residence.

Its fun to get, its a day out, then get a 5 yr licence next time smile.png

P.S standby for the licence vs permit debate, coming to a thread near you...

This is not correct at the Prakhonchai office. They insisted on an International licence as a first step. The other things mentioned I had in order. Maybe US citizens are treated differently, but I assume that it is the norm for Thailand where each office seems to have their own rules

You can always do the practical test.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, browsing the "Requirements for Obtaining and Renewing a 1 Year Driving License" in the Pattaya Forum;

1) I need a Residency Certificate issued by the US Embassay in BKK, cost $50.

2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license.

3) Cost of the license is 500TB + 200TB for health cert + US$50 for residency cert + cost of translating documents. Not to mention the cost of traveling to BKK. Not to mention the frustration of doing all this.

And again, I can get the International Permit in 10 minutes, at a location 10 minutes from my home in the US, for $20.

So getting the Permit is far cheaper and exponentially more convenient.

I just want to know if there are any pitfalls in case of an accident or serious traffic violation.

Complete rubbish, and I say this from experience, I got my Thai drivers license 3 weeks ago in Chiang Mai after driving here for years on an IDP.

1. Residency certificate is available from Immigration, costs nothing. If you can't be bothered waiting (can take anywhere from 3-10 days so I've been told) I paid 500 baht for an immigration agent to get it for me in 24 hours.

2. They are issued for 2 YEARS NOW, not one year. I know everyone calls them "1 year licenses" (including everyone here on Thaivisa who got them 5,10, 20+ years ago) but I'm happy to post a picture of mine that shows 2 years. I checked around, apparently it changed last year.

3: License was 205 baht for 2 years, 100 baht for medical certificate (can be done cheaper, I went to a major hospital) + 500 baht (for me, can be done for free) for residency certificate, and there was ZERO need to have any of it translated: ie, you get the residency certificate from Immigration, it's in Thai to begin with.

Is there an Department of Land Transport Office where you live? if the answer is yes, and presuming your wife still remembers how to speak Thai, once you get the medical + residency certificate it takes exactly 1 hour in one of those offices and all you need is the form filled out, photocopies of your passport page, entry stamp/ departure slip, drivers license from the US (in my case I have a valid Australian license) and you do a colour blind test and have your photo taken, that's all there is to it.

You have to have proof of place of residence, an as you presumably are not listed in a tabian ban that will mean a certificate from either immigration or your Embassy if they issue it, not sure that the US does.

Your wife however will be listed in her family's tabian ban.

I am not sure that they will issue you a license on a tourist visa. I recently got a Thai driving license for the first time -- after driving here (and owning cars, purchasing insurance) for almost 20 years using an IDP. They asked to see my visa and definitely were concerned with both its type and approved duration of stay.

I finally got a Thai license mainly because I finally got a tabian ban, and also because it is a hassle for me to get the IDP in the US since I live permanently in Thailand. In your shoes, I would certainly keep using IDPs. For your wife, since visa type is not an issue and she'll be in a tabian ban, it's a little different and might be worth getting a Thai license. Also if stopped by police for any reason they might raise an eyebrow at a Thai driving without a Thai license.

"You have to have prove of place of residence, an as you presumably are not listed in a tabian ban that will mean a certificate from either immigration or your Embassy if they issue it, not sure that the US does."

Maybe the reason some can go to an Immigration Office for a Certificate of Residency and some need to go to their Embassy is because some, like me, are not listed on the Tabian Ban?

Yes, my wife is, but I'm not. So I'm not sure what type of "Residency Certificate" the Immigration Office is going to give to me - I'm not a resident! Per the OP, I'm just here on a ME Tourist Visa. Seems to make sense that perhaps someone in my situation would need to go to the Embassy for an Affidavit, where those here on a more permanent basis/Visa do not.

Edited by ftpjtm

You have to have proof of place of residence, an as you presumably are not listed in a tabian ban that will mean a certificate from either immigration or your Embassy if they issue it, not sure that the US does.

I am not sure that they will issue you a license on a tourist visa. I recently got a Thai driving license for the first time -- after driving here (and owning cars, purchasing insurance) for almost 20 years using an IDP. They asked to see my visa and definitely were concerned with both its type and approved duration of stay.

I finally got a Thai license mainly because I finally got a tabian ban, and also because it is a hassle for me to get the IDP in the US since I live permanently in Thailand. In your shoes, I would certainly keep using IDPs. For your wife, since visa type is not an issue and she'll be in a tabian ban, it's a little different and might be worth getting a Thai license. Also if stopped by police for any reason they might raise an eyebrow at a Thai driving without a Thai license.

"You have to have prove of place of residence, an as you presumably are not listed in a tabian ban that will mean a certificate from either immigration or your Embassy if they issue it, not sure that the US does."

Maybe the reason some can go to an Immigration Office for a Certificate of Residency and some need to go to their Embassy is because some, like me, are not listed on the Tabian Ban?

Yes, my wife is, but I'm not. So I'm not sure what type of "Residency Certificate" the Immigration Office is going to give to me - I'm not a resident! Per the OP, I'm just here on a ME Tourist Visa. Seems to make sense that perhaps someone in my situation would need to go to the Embassy for an Affidavit, where those here on a more permanent basis/Visa do not.

I've needed "residency" certificate several times over th last few years - e.g. for a car passport and have never had a problem usually get it on the same day - I live in rented accommodation. I'm pretty sure you can disregard the US embassy as a source for this.

However I think one thing is becoming clear is that different offices and officers have different ideas on what is needed.....this again doesn't just apply to driving licences.

I've needed "residency" certificate several times over th last few years - e.g. for a car passport and have never had a problem usually get it on the same day - I live in rented accommodation. I'm pretty sure you can disregard the US embassy as a source for this.

However I think one thing is becoming clear is that different offices and officers have different ideas on what is needed.....this again doesn't just apply to driving licences.

I don't rent accommodation. My wife owns a house, but technically I'm just a tourist and a guest in a Thai person's home. I have no paperwork to show I am any sort of Resident. What type of "Residency Certificate" is the Immigration Office going to give me?

Don't understand the "residency" rom the US embassy - I showed my address in Thailand and I think Thai immigration certified that.

make sure any insurance is happy with an IDP

There are some posts saying that certain Immigration offices (such as Chiang Mai) used to supply Residency Certificates, but no longer do. Now one must get them from the US Embassy (for Americans). I'm assuming the same holds true of Jomtiem, as a post or two mentioned certificates only being available at the US Embassy on the Pattaya Forum.

And yes, I suppose I ought to check on the insurance with that provider.

How can the US embassy be expected to say where you live in Thailand?

"residency" is a legal immigration status - I'm sure what they mean is proof of address.

The US Embassy and Consulate in Chiang Mai will notarize a form (which the Embassy/Consulate provides for this very purpose) on which one swears one live at the address shown. This costs US$50.00 at the Embassy/Consulate and it is this form that the Drivers License authorities will accept as proof of residence.

As purely a matter of interest, I have a feeling ( can't check as mine is outside in my car) that when I got my IDP I flicked through it and couldn't see a Thai translation. If so, it seems to make the whole exercise pretty pointless..

As purely a matter of interest, I have a feeling ( can't check as mine is outside in my car) that when I got my IDP I flicked through it and couldn't see a Thai translation. If so, it seems to make the whole exercise pretty pointless..

I just flipped through mine, and while it doesn't have a Thai translation, it does claim validity in Thailand.

I was also told that it is valid by a Thai car rental agency.

I just flipped through mine, and while it doesn't have a Thai translation, it does claim validity in Thailand.

I was also told that it is valid by a Thai car rental agency.

International Driving Permits are just that "International" - they are a copy of the details of your home D/L presented in a format that has been agreed under an international treaty..........getting your licence translated into the language of each country you are visiting would be pointless.

One think that it does have though is a photograph of the driver.....some UK licences still don't have this.

I've just got my Thai car and motorcycle licence in Chiang Mai. Residency certificate from Promenada(photocopy of lease was all that required) + B500 to G4T ???), doctors certificate B75 (just stating they've seen a warm corpse), then off to Licencing office with two copies of everything, back and front of UK licence (both m/c and car on it) - one for car licence, one for m/c licence-, passport picture and visa page, and after a long wait two licences at a very reasonable rate. Very helpful staff.

Edited by keithathome

Don't understand the "residency" rom the US embassy - I showed my address in Thailand and I think Thai immigration certified that.

make sure any insurance is happy with an IDP

There are some posts saying that certain Immigration offices (such as Chiang Mai) used to supply Residency Certificates, but no longer do. Now one must get them from the US Embassy (for Americans). I'm assuming the same holds true of Jomtiem, as a post or two mentioned certificates only being available at the US Embassy on the Pattaya Forum.

And yes, I suppose I ought to check on the insurance with that provider.

How can the US embassy be expected to say where you live in Thailand?

"residency" is a legal immigration status - I'm sure what they mean is proof of address.

The US Embassy and Consulate in Chiang Mai will notarize a form (which the Embassy/Consulate provides for this very purpose) on which one swears one live at the address shown. This costs US$50.00 at the Embassy/Consulate and it is this form that the Drivers License authorities will accept as proof of residence.

So you need documentation to show the embassy that you really live there. Which is just the same as Immigration and doesn't cost half as much.

I've just got my Thai car and motorcycle licence in Chiang Mai. Residency certificate from Promenada (B500 to G4T ???), doctors certificate B75 (just stating they've seen a warm corpse), then off to Licencing office with two copies of everything, back and front of UK licence (both m/c and car on it) - one for car licence, one for m/c licence-, passport picture and visa page, and after a long wait two licences at a very reasonable rate. Very helpful staff.

What kind of visa?

2 or 5 year?

it is an international driving PERMIT, not an international drivers license!!

think that was established a while back.

Actually, one does not need to bring any documentation to the Embassy to 'prove" where one lives. Just show up, fill out their form, swear the information you provided is accurate, pay your fifty bucks, and walk out the door with your form for the DL office.

Edited by Tracyb

it is an international driving PERMIT, not an international drivers license!!

think that was established a while back.

Actually, one does not need to bring any documentation to the Embassy to 'prove" where one lives. Just show up, fill out their form, swear the information you provided is accurate, pay your fifty bucks, and walk out the door with your form for the DL office.

There's a few things I could use that for then!

no - if they are listed in a tabian ban they don't need to go anywhere as that is already considered proof of residence. (never mind that most people in Thailand do not live in the place they are listed in the tabian ban!). And it is the proof of residence that Thai government offices of all types expect/want to see, It is just if you do not have a tabian ban that you need to get a certificate either from Immigration or your Embassy. Most Imm offices provide this but some apparently do not. Also possible that not all Embassies will do it. Should you be dealing with a province not accustomed to foreigners, they may not understand why the Imm certificate or Embassy letter and no tabian ban, but anyplace that sees foreigners regularly will be used to it.

None of these documents actually prove where you live in reality. Anymore than those lost forms at the police station prove that you lost something. It is all just sheer red tape and jumping through hopes.

Foreigners cannot be listed in a blue tabian ban, but they can be issued a special yellow one which works just fine. Can be a tussle getting one, though. Took me 15+ years.... but that is because I am in a province with very, very few foreigners and the ampur didn't even know there was such a thing as a yellow tabian ban.

First time i planned to hire a car in Thailand I did get this international driver paper. Now I do not bother about it anymore. It is not recognized in Thailand anyway and my dutch driver license has also the text in english. Never had a problem with Hertz or Budget in Thailand. Used a small rental company in Chinag Mai once and they didn't even want to see my driver license.

For 3 months a year I would not bother to get a thai driver license. Maybe for your wife because the combination of a thai passport and an US driver license may be invalid. I guess she does not get a visa on her US passport to enter Thailand.

A car will not drive different with a Thai driver license and if you get involved in an accident it will not make much difference either.

But having a thai driver license is cool and as bonus you can get a motor driver license also.

First time i planned to hire a car in Thailand I did get this international driver paper. Now I do not bother about it anymore. It is not recognized in Thailand anyway and my dutch driver license has also the text in english. Never had a problem with Hertz or Budget in Thailand. Used a small rental company in Chinag Mai once and they didn't even want to see my driver license.

For 3 months a year I would not bother to get a thai driver license. Maybe for your wife because the combination of a thai passport and an US driver license may be invalid. I guess she does not get a visa on her US passport to enter Thailand.

A car will not drive different with a Thai driver license and if you get involved in an accident it will not make much difference either.

But having a thai driver license is cool and as bonus you can get a motor driver license also.

Neither Sixt (Swampy airport), Hertz (Sathorn Road, Bangkok) nor Avis (also on Sathorn Road) would rent out a vehicle on just an Australian driver's licence. In all three cases an International Driving Permit had to be produced, in addition to the Driving Licence (and passport).

Further, when I did rent a vehicle from a private individual, failure to produce an International Driving Permit at a police checkpoint earned me a 500B, on the spot fine, in Buri Ram. An 'official fine receipt' with the infringement and amount paid was given to me with instructions that it was a waiver for the same infringement for the next 7 days.

Now, I have a 2 year 'provisional' Thai licence and the peace of mind that this document provides.

OK, browsing the "Requirements for Obtaining and Renewing a 1 Year Driving License" in the Pattaya Forum;

1) I need a Residency Certificate issued by the US Embassay in BKK, cost $50.

2) If I have a short term Visa, including ME Tourist or O, I can only get a 1 year licenses, and upon renewal can again only get a 1 year license.

3) Cost of the license is 500TB + 200TB for health cert + US$50 for residency cert + cost of translating documents. Not to mention the cost of traveling to BKK. Not to mention the frustration of doing all this.

And again, I can get the International Permit in 10 minutes, at a location 10 minutes from my home in the US, for $20.

So getting the Permit is far cheaper and exponentially more convenient.

I just want to know if there are any pitfalls in case of an accident or serious traffic violation.

I think you need to check with your insurance, as to having any accidents[car] i have heard of the insurance not working if no thai license after 3 months, my thai license was easy at Ayutthaya, about 5 years ago, just neede queensland licenses classes [ 4 copies] a medical , and show my wife's yellow house book, it was for 1 year, i went back late last year, for my five license and did 2 days one of which was just listening to thai policeman, tell us all about road rules [all thai] next day it was computer test must get 45 out of 50 questions right, then just a small driving test, just reverse park, for my 2 licenses i think it cost me 500 baht, and like others have said it is used for any number of things.

When I got my initial 2 year license I was given a practical test, which checked for color blindness, depth perception and reaction time. Will I be required to take this practical test when I get my permanent (5 year) license and subsequent licenses or is it just a matter of paying the fee and filing the paperwork?

In regards to your " residency" issue.

I am sure that your wife ( or someone) completes the compulsory TM30 EVERY time that you visit

As this is lodged with .......Immigration, then they should be able to provide you with the required residency certificate.

However , the point that always worries me about this entire Thai license V IDP debate is .......................................

IF/when you have a serious accident that involves serious injury to someone OR serious damage of any type ---------will any insurance company actively look for a reason to NOT honour the insurance policy. If it can be suggested that you are NOT A GENUINE tourist.............and you do not have a local license, would/could this be sufficient reason for them to not honour the insurance policy.IF they can show that you visit Thailand regularly and DO NOT HAVE A LOCAL LICENSE...................perhaps , just perhaps you might have unexpected issues.

I'm getting the felling that even though it may involve a bit more effort to begin with, there are several circumstances where the OP will be thankful he has a Thai licence.

True! Obtaining the driver's license is easy enough and... it puts you on the right side of the law (even though we may joke about the ineffectiveness and/or lack of enforcement of laws here in the LOS). The time when having the correct license matters most is that time when you least expect it. When an accident occurs you're able to show that, at least, you have the undisputed consent of the Thai government to drive in Thailand.

I don't rent accommodation. My wife owns a house, but technically I'm just a tourist and a guest in a Thai person's home. I have no paperwork to show I am any sort of Resident. What type of "Residency Certificate" is the Immigration Office going to give me?

You should have in your passport a TM30 receipt so there shouldn't be any problem getting a residency certificate from Immigration at Sri Ratcha.

I live in Chonburi and use that DLT. With an IDP you do not need to take any test, just the 4 physical tests, colour blindness, reaction,depth perception and peripheral vision. Unless things have changed in the last couple of months they don't do videos there. It is a bit chaotic at the moment as they are building a new office so it would be best to go in the afternoon, just before 2 and you would be out by 4.30.

That being said, there is nothing wrong in just using the IDP during your visits, I did it for many years. I do think that in the event of an accident, the Thai licence may make things easier. If the other driver is in the wrong they will look for anything they can to shift the blame, and as a foreigner they will try and take advantage.

At the end of the day its as they say 'up to you'