Phuket's outspoken German consul Dirk Naumann dies of cancer

webfact

Phuket's outspoken German consul Dirk Naumann dies of cancer
The Phuket News

1455677914_1-org.jpg
Dirk Naumann and his daughter, Anette Jimenez Höchstetter.

PHUKET: -- Dirk Naumann, well known among long-term Phuket expats as the outspoken German Honorary Consul in Phuket for nearly 12 years, has died of cancer.

Mr Naumann passed away on Monday night (Feb 15). He was 73.

His daughter, Anette Jimenez Höchstetter, who now serves as the Honorary Consul for Germany in Phuket, announced late last night, “Dear Family, Friends, and Colleagues, It is with great sadness, that the Family of Dirk Naumann announces his passing on Monday, 15th February, 2016.”

The funeral will be held at Anuphas Kritsadaram Temple on Wichit Songkram Rd in Kathu.

Services will be held from today (Feb 17) through next Tuesday (Feb 23.)

The cremation will take place on Tuesday (Feb 23), from about noon to 1pm.

“Dirk Naumann was very specific in his request that guests please not bring flowers or wreaths to his farewell,” said the announcement issued by Mr Naumann’s family.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-outspoken-german-consul-dirk-naumann-dies-of-cancer-56251.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-17

RIP Mr. Naumann. Contrary to Somtamnications comment, I found him never arrogant in the slightest. He was always very friendly and had an open ear. He listened when I explained some tricky situation to him and he did the right thing. He followed the spirit of the law, not the letter. I really appreciated that.

Of course he wouldn't bow before people, he was the honorary consul after all. And the attitude that some people, mostly brits, sometimes gave him was a bit inappropriate.

He will be missed.

He was a very patient and understanding man who only tried to help Phuket iron out its problems which upset many powerful locals. Many times he came to the hotel in the early hours of the am to check on German citizens involved in accidents etc.

May he rest in peace.

Met the guy once, unfriendly as hell. Of course not a good death, nevertheless my experience with his service was awful, including the unfriendly Thai staff.

It's the German way, he thought he was a public official belonging to the magistracy and the customers are the subjects.

But not a problem since the most Germans are ok being the submissive subject, reflected by the comments here. thumbsup.gif

One of the most arrogant men I have ever worked with. But I would never wish cancer on anyone and I hope he RIP. coffee1.gif

Met the guy once, unfriendly as hell. Of course not a good death, nevertheless my experience with his service was awful, including the unfriendly Thai staff.

It's the German way, he thought he was a public official belonging to the magistracy and the customers are the subjects.

But not a problem since the most Germans are ok being the submissive subject, reflected by the comments here. thumbsup.gif

I can't stand the average Brit either.

RIP Konsul Dirk Naumann

Edited by manarak