Anti-haze measures up North

webfact

Anti-haze measures up North

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai authorities have prohibited people from burning grass or rubbish in an open-air space i for 60 days, or until April 15, to prevent the haze situation from worsening in the northern region.

Currently, particulate matter stands at 100 microgrammes per cubic metre of air, which has not exceeded the safe level of 120 microgrammes per cubic metre. In the northern province of Lampang, a war room has been set up to monitor the haze generated by smoke from forest fires.

Provincial governor Samart Loifah had called on the general public to help prevent burning in open air at this time. In Phayao, the provincial office of natural resources and environment had deployed teams of people to different areas to prevent and reduce haze by spraying water and preventing farmers from burning their plantations.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-18 footer_n.gif

Same in my village here in Chiang Rai, and the people are taking it seriously for the moment. The forestry guys are camping in the middle of town.

I went up your way several years ago for Songkran, and it wasn't too hazy. In recent years I understand it has got worse around that time. Any idea how it might be this year? I am thinking of visiting again this year.

There was a high powered meeting in our tambon, followed by village meetings. The 60 day prohibition was firmly expressed, and so far as I can see it's working. The threat is that there is now satellite surveillance. Additionally, trucks of forest police are around - first sign of smoke they can react. Severe measures are threatened to anyone caught. I can see the mountains a few kilometers away, which is my assessment factor for the air quality - so it seems to be working. It's good that they have actually taken the matter seriously this year, we'll see how it goes.

I can remember it was already quite ok last year. Around CM I saw in those days nobody burning rice fields. And this year around my place rice is already planted. So no problem.

I like the 60 days ban. But it should be extended up to the whole year round...

Your experiences may very, but last year in Chiang Rai we set records for air particles. First time I felt obliged to get an N94 mask. But that was in March. By Songkran usually the worst of it is over. March is the worst on average.

Probably the haze was not all "home made". I suppose much of that stuff came from Burma and Laos?

Your experiences may very, but last year in Chiang Rai we set records for air particles. First time I felt obliged to get an N94 mask. But that was in March. By Songkran usually the worst of it is over. March is the worst on average.

Probably the haze was not all "home made". I suppose much of that stuff came from Burma and Laos?

Studies have been done and only about 20% comes from outside Thailand.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/one-woman-warrior-marisa-marchitellis-obsession-to-wake-us-all-up-to-the-gravity-of-air-pollution/

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/one-woman-warrior-marisa-marchitellis-obsession-to-wake-us-all-up-to-the-gravity-of-air-pollution/

thank you that information. I will remember when I'll coughing next time.......

That's a highly questionable figure of course, 20% of what, PM10 or PM2.5, the latter being much lighter and travels further. And to be honest, in the absence of any meaningful study, year on year, 20% is just a finger in the air.

I ride on the road in Chiang Mai with people burning on the sides of the roads and police passing by and do nothing. No one wants to enforce the laws because they do not want to fine the poor farmers. How many tourist do you lose every year because of bad air.The local police will not do there job and the new Governors thinks it is okay because of past practice!

That's a highly questionable figure of course, 20% of what, PM10 or PM2.5, the latter being much lighter and travels further. And to be honest, in the absence of any meaningful study, year on year, 20% is just a finger in the air.

Fair enough but the key is to stop with the year in, year out feeble redirecting of the problem source outside of the country. Fix the problem here - don't try to pin it on Myanmar and Laos. Until anyone else comes up with better data points I'll defer to Dr. Tippawan Prapamontol, senior research scientist at CMU’s Research Institute for Health Sciences.

Fair enough but the key is to stop with the year in, year out feeble redirecting of the problem source outside of the country. Fix the problem here - don't try to pin it on Myanmar and Laos. Until anyone else comes up with better data points I'll defer to Dr. Tippawan Prapamontol, senior research scientist at CMU’s Research Institute for Health Sciences.

It took debates on this forum many years before a majority accepted that imported pollution from burning was a real consideration or even possible, year after year of posting the wind maps and relating wind currents to pollution levels in the North brought us to the 20% figure, I suspect we are not yet done but it is at least a start. And before anyone jumps on me, no, I'm not suggesting there is no burning in the North blah blah, I'm simply stating again, as I have for several years, that imported pollution is a significant factor that is as yet fully quantified.

To the chap who wanted to stop the sugarcane waste from the burn pile, let me ask you what you think the consequences might be if that happened? The price of white sugar will rise, the prevalence of high-fructose corn syrup will increase and we all (who eat and drink commercially prepared food) may be less well off.

Anyway, Coke tastes better when made with white sugar.

My overall choice would be better emission controls, all year long, on the damn song teaws, aka Red Cars.

Next, a professor from the university will inform people that it is the foreign 20% that does the damage. The Thai burning could not possibly do any harm.

Vehicle emissions are just a fraction of what is produced in burning season by crop burning.

Not if you live in the city, with current diesel vehicle numbers.

I would have to see numbers and proof to support that view, as things stand I believe the substantial balance is on the burning side, over the course of a year.

Vehicle emissions are just a fraction of what is produced in burning season by crop burning.

I would have to see numbers and proof to support that view, as things stand I believe the substantial balance is on the burning side, over the course of a year.

No need for stats, observe exhausts, or try cycling in it. Where are your figures to prove otherwise? And who are the "majority" that believe most pollution comes from outside Thailand?

No need for stats, observe exhausts, or try cycling in it. Where are your figures to prove otherwise? And who are the "majority" that believe most pollution comes from outside Thailand?

But you made the claim that exhaust fumes are a considerably larger threat year round than the effects of burning season, I disagree and suggests you need to prove your claim rather than me have to refute it.

And what I wrote regarding the majority was, "a majority accepted that imported pollution from burning was a real consideration or even possible" I did not say a majority believe it comes from outside Thailand, I simply stated that a majority now think that it is a possibility, this based on the lack of forum challenges and the slow emergence of external proof that this is indeed the case.