Best Media Box for KODI?

ExpatOilWorker

Anyone had personal experience of the MINIX NEO Z64?

I bought one for a friend and set it up for him. Cost was a little under 6k at fortune town. Setting it up with Kodi took around 10 minutes as I loaded Andy's build on to it and made a few tweaks. it works great for him.

The only drawback with this machine is finding and setting up a remote. It can be done but it far easier to buy a Logitech k400r keyboard which works right out of the box. If you really want a remote that works with the z64 and Kodi go to eBay and buy a flirc ( which is a neat little IR receiver that plugs into a usb slot - Google it ) and a mid range harmony remote like an 8xx, then you will have a working remote.

I have an Intel NUC box which is also windiws based and even though I have the flirc and harmony remote I still use the Logitech k400 as I find it easier as it's got a built in trackpad mouse.

Edited by AJBangkok

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any experts here on IPTV M3u playlists.

Need some assistance if possible.

Looking for some reliable playlists if anyone can assist.

The guys that maintained the best free M3u lists like hushham and vdubt have set up their own addons now. I used to mess around with M3u lists but it was like chasing my own tail, what worked one minute was down the next and the list will only ever be as good as the guy that manages and updates it.

I'm sure that there are probably some good free lists out there but I now I just use Andy's build and it's got addons with everything I used to watch off the M3u lists but I just need to flip between addons which to me is far less stressful than chasing reliable M3u lists.

As far as paid links go there are a plethora of them out there that may be reliable for some time but could also disappear as soon as you've paid your subscription.

I've got one. What do you want to know?

The usual stuff: Pros/cons/ease of setting up/reliability/comparison with any other android box you may have used/if you knew then what you know now would you have bought it?

I have an original Thai expat tv box [the white one] and it's lousy at processing the highly-compressed audio they send out. I hope the Z64 I have on the way does better --- while I wait for my existing subscription with TETV to run out. TETV currently offer the MINIX X7 for 5500 Baht - you can get the Z64 elsewhere for 4500 Baht

Thanks

The usual stuff: Pros/cons/ease of setting up/reliability/comparison with any other android box you may have used/if you knew then what you know now would you have bought it?

I have an original Thai expat tv box [the white one] and it's lousy at processing the highly-compressed audio they send out. I hope the Z64 I have on the way does better --- while I wait for my existing subscription with TETV to run out. TETV currently offer the MINIX X7 for 5500 Baht - you can get the Z64 elsewhere for 4500 Baht

Thanks

No need to wait to let your TETV subscription run out, they should supply you with the appropriate software link for download to use on the Z64 which is either Windows 8 or upgradeable to Windows 10. Works on my Windows 10. And yes, the boxes they supply are far from being the best available. Edited by Linesy

Thanks

No need to wait to let your TETV subscription run out, they should supply you with the appropriate software link for download to use on the Z64 which is either Windows 8 or upgradeable to Windows 10. Works on my Windows 10. And yes, the boxes they supply are far from being the best available.

Thanks - yes I already have the software link: Its just a case of whether I renew next time around. Do you have any problem with the audio compression? I recently added a soundbar to replace puny LED TV speakers and the audio compression is throttling them.

Thanks

I added a comprehensive reply, but the servers rejected it. Sorry, but not going to waste another 30 minutes. If you want specific info PM me.

I bought a VEOLO 4K box a couple weeks ago. Best box for streaming I have owned. You can also download an app for your android or apple phone to control the box.

The specs for those who are interested:

The flagship RK3288 Quad-Core Cortex-A17 SoC (system on chip), powering the latest Mali-T764 GPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM & 16GB Flash supplies all the processing and graphics prowess necessary for today and tomorrow’s entertainment needs.

ac-ryan-veolo-4k-top-notch-hardware-spec

MINIX is the best but most costly http://minix.com.hk/en/products

http://www.amazon.com/MINIX/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_6322284011?ie=UTF8&node=6322284011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=MINIX

If you want good box and not expensive go for M8S+ from ebay or Alibaba, make sure its not fake copy

how do you tell its a fake, when you are buying on line

I loaded Andy's build on to it

Excuse my ignorance --- "Andy's build" ???

A build is where somebody configures Kodi and sets it up so that you can download and use their configuration

Check out www.kodimaster.com

Edited by AJBangkok

I bought a VEOLO 4K box a couple weeks ago. Best box for streaming I have owned. You can also download an app for your android or apple phone to control the box.

The specs for those who are interested:

The flagship RK3288 Quad-Core Cortex-A17 SoC (system on chip), powering the latest Mali-T764 GPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM & 16GB Flash supplies all the processing and graphics prowess necessary for today and tomorrow’s entertainment needs.

ac-ryan-veolo-4k-top-notch-hardware-spec

Good spec and interested in what made you go for this. If you are in Thailand maybe the price - as Lazada appear to have a 'fire sale' on them currently. On face value looks like a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted earlier about replacing my MINIX neo x7 mini with the u1. I then found the MINIX forum with info and links to upgrade the firmware on the x7 mini to KitKat with future OTA upgrades enabled. Pleased to say it worked and hopefully gives a new lease of life to an average box. I took the risk as it was a spare and the warranty period had expired. Tutorials available on YouTube.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-andys-build-kodi/

Thanks for that. I did consider Andy's build but for the time being am happy with EXODUS. Also happy with the MINIX Z64A with the A2 Lite remote

https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-andys-build-kodi/

Thanks for that. I did consider Andy's build but for the time being am happy with EXODUS. Also happy with the MINIX Z64A with the A2 Lite remote

It won't be long before Andy's build swaps out genisis for exodus and in the mean time you can swap it out yourself by going to system, appearance , and editing the home screen submenu which takes about 3 minutes to swap exodus for like ice films or something else on your sub menu that you don't use.

Thanks

Slightly off-topic but related: Anyone who is currently subscribing to ThaiExpatTV and using the original white android box -- UPGRADE. I understand that everything they provide for a fee can be found elsewhere for free [?]. However, for me their service is worth hanging onto for a while -- but only after I upgraded my box. I enjoyed 'The White Album' but not-so the white box. They do offer an upgrade with a MINIX x7 and no doubt it is an improvement. For the same price there are other options that can also provide other build and addon capabilities. I am a relative novice but discerning on a purely subjective basis.

OK to sum up here's my experience:

1.buy the best box you can afford(I bought the minix top of range and it's perfect)

2. Ensure you have the fastest possible internet connection cable obviously the best

3. Don't buy any preconfigured Kodi set ups as it's so easy to do yourself!

4. Google "Ares Wizard" and find out how to load it, loadd of instructions on the web.

5.Google "Spinztv", "Blackbox" and "Chris B" wizards and load one of them into a fresh start of Kodi, ( Fresh start means with no other wizards/addons loaded)

6.Once you've got this working and you are familiar with Kodi's strange ways of doing things you can download a second version of Kodi, i.e. TVMC and load a different wizard on that. I currently have Spinztv on Kodi and Blackbox on TVMC as they both approach the final solution of good TV in a different way.

7 Don't worry about the remote or Airmouse, better to but a Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Burl Ives

I would argue that this very useful post is worth a bump.

OK to sum up here's my experience:

1.buy the best box you can afford(I bought the minix top of range and it's perfect)

2. Ensure you have the fastest possible internet connection cable obviously the best

3. Don't buy any preconfigured Kodi set ups as it's so easy to do yourself!

4. Google "Ares Wizard" and find out how to load it, loadd of instructions on the web.

5.Google "Spinztv", "Blackbox" and "Chris B" wizards and load one of them into a fresh start of Kodi, ( Fresh start means with no other wizards/addons loaded)

6.Once you've got this working and you are familiar with Kodi's strange ways of doing things you can download a second version of Kodi, i.e. TVMC and load a different wizard on that. I currently have Spinztv on Kodi and Blackbox on TVMC as they both approach the final solution of good TV in a different way.

7 Don't worry about the remote or Airmouse, better to but a Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard.

Hope this helps,

Burl Ives

I would argue that this very useful post is worth a bump.

Worth a 'bump' as it offers a reminder of the fundamentals. If indeed the late Burl Ives {RIP] has the actual latest offering from MINIX he would know that it's a little different to previous versions. Try loading a 'clean' version of Kodi Android ..............

• 3 weeks later...

Just fyi, for folks interest in U.S. cable television delivered online, without requiring a physical cable setup...

Sony recently has gone nationwide in the U.S. with their PlayStation Vue service, which offers a larger package of cable channels at higher prices than Sling TV. In some of the major markets, Sony's price is even higher because their online service is including the major broadcast networks. But in most markets, right now, they're just offering cable channels without the broadcast networks for a starting price of $30 per month for 55+ channels without the OTA networks, and $40 in those markets that include the OTAs.

No equipment. No contracts. Just month to month like Sling. But, from what I can tell, one major downside right now is a limited number of hardware platforms their service will operate on, namely, PlayStation devices, Amazon Fire TV devices and IOS devices. No Android, Roku or PC/web support right now. And, in what really mystifies me, Sony launched their service nationwide earlier this month WITHOUT offering it even via their own Sony smartphones, smart TVs or media devices...

Still, along with Sling, it's another legal platform/option for getting a full U.S. cable TV package, without the cable.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#4

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/

post-58284-0-96193400-1459434514_thumb.j

I guess my point is, IMO, we're getting closer and closer to the point of having good quality, comprehensive, legal and affordable online viewing packages available to U.S. expats -- without having to resort to dodgy services, pirated content, box sellers that come and go by the day, and even having to fiddle with Kodi add-ons that work today, and then die tomorrow.

And just by coincidence, as I was going thru my emails tonight:

Came across a promotion whereby SlingTV, for existing T-Mobile phone customers, is offering a 30% discount off its regular $20 a month online U.S. cable package for a full year, meaning the monthly bill would be $14 plus tax.

I signed up online tonight, and it was easy, took less than 5 minutes, just by entering my T-Mobile phone number and a billing card number for future monthly Sling TV billing. And I should clarify, the discount is valid for up to one year. But the customer is not required to keep or continue Sling TV if you decide you want to stop it anywhere along the way. As always, it's month to month with no penalties or other gotcha's.

I want to say, Sling has offered this or some kind of similar promotion with T-Mobile in the past. But AFAICR, you needed to be a T-Mobile POSTPAID customer to qualify. I'm just a PREPAID T-Mobile customer (I keep the account for when I'm home in the U.S.), but I gave it a try, and this time, it went thru just fine just by entering my T-Mobile phone number.

http://www.cutcabletoday.com/

https://www.sling.com/signin/partner/tmobile

post-58284-0-92800500-1459438999_thumb.j