Has everything suddenty become stricter at Immigration and Labour Dept?

Hi,

I have resided here and run a professional service business here for over a decade. I've never had any real problems applying for visas and work permits each year.

This year my agent has asked me to provide things which have never been asked before, including:

- photo of every single staff member at their desk (even we are more than double the necessary quota of thai to foreigner ratio and present social fund data to Immigration showingThai staff on well above minimum salaries). I wonder what would happen in a factory of 100's of workers with one foreigner. do they need a photo of every staff? I offered to show my staff group photo with us all wearing company short and I was told this was not good enough (by my agent that is).

- records of tabian bahn or land title deed of my home. What if i don't have a home and stay with a girlfriend i asked? I was told i need to have her ID card and proof i was staying there.

- record of 90 days reporting.

Can anyone confirm if these are sudden changes? has my agent upset an official there and they are making it hard for her? any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

That photos are nothing new. That has been reported for some time now.

Many more offices are wanting proof of residence when you apply for an extension.

Doing 90 day reports has always been a requirement. I assume your most recent report receipt would be all that is needed.

• Like 1

When I had my WP renewed 2 years ago my agent said Immigration needed my picture of me sitting at my desk at my place of work. So this started a couple years ago. Under military government they have become much stricter and enforcing new and old rules. This 90 day reporting is the worst rule (its onerous, inconvenient and a drain on tax payers money).

• Like 1

Confirm, renewing my Visa for the 9th year and they are giving even legitimate business owners a hard time.

But they donot know you are legitimate. Thais get the same treatment, my girlfriend worked for a company that was checked for taxes they would not except reciepts for some deductions as they could be forged.

you think you have issues, i have a friend whose business (on a large piece of land) is located half in Bangkok half Ayuthaya.

he has had a work permit for almost 15 years, no issues. Suddenly immigration is having issues with the fact that his office is in one province and where he actually works is 5 meters away in what is technically another province.

he got it sorted, and is now legal to work in both provinces, but it was a pain

all just the cause of implementing the execution of the rules that apply a long time.

normally you have to provide a lot and when done no problem. more think the agent has a problem and now they make it tougher.

know many who have problems.

all linked back to agents and how thing where arranged in the past.

done all ourselves and not run into any problem with any of my colleagues.

So expect you have an agen tproblem

• Like 1

Thailand is one of the easiest and cheapest places to get work permits and visas . I think that most people that post on the subject have never lived anywhere else. Most countries limit tourist visas to 6 months and anyone staying longer than that has to pay income tax.

Immigration is just trying to tighten the rules and come in line with other countries.

Confirm, renewing my Visa for the 9th year and they are giving even legitimate business owners a hard time.

But they donot know you are legitimate. Thais get the same treatment, my girlfriend worked for a company that was checked for taxes they would not except reciepts for some deductions as they could be forged.

I hear you but chiman has a point.

I think his point is, whether Thai or farang, it's getting a lot harder recently. The last year, or two depending or where you live, has seen pretty slack civil servants become the enforcing, tyrants that we all dread and fear! haha

Sure LOS is trying to straighten up and we must respect that but when immigration and the labour office is far away, you get there, wait a long time just to be told your documents aren't complete then rush away to get them 'complete' only to hear on your return from a different official that your documents still aren't complete or you didn't really need these extra documents (which has happened to me lately) you can start to understand people's, shall we say, surprise at the sudden surge of 'strictness'. Couple this with the ever-present lack of capabilities some show, it is getting harder.

When my accountant renewed my WP last month I was only asked to provide the same old stuff as before. I have permanent residence though, so maybe that made a differene.

Where abouts are you, Bangkok or somewhere else?

Of course, having permanent residence makes a big difference. The OP's post seems to suggest that all this harassment was coming from Immigration, not from the Labour Ministry,. which is usually a lot easier. Fortunately you only have to renew your WP at the Labour Ministry and don't have a NON-B to renew at Immigration.

Thanks to those whom replied. I start to feel some of this is to make us feel unwelcome / mildly humiliated. I think there is xenophobia in there somewhere. I can understand how sometimes a few can spoil it for the masses. Some of these measures may be in the wake of the atrocity at the Erawan Shrine last year.

Edited by Apothecary

They are paying a little more attention to what they should have been doing in the first place, by ensuring that you are legit.

If all above board by paying VAT, SS, submitting balance sheets etc all in time & correct you have nothing to worry about.

As to address, immigration are getting tough on that as well,

When my accountant renewed my WP last month I was only asked to provide the same old stuff as before. I have permanent residence though, so maybe that made a differene.

Where abouts are you, Bangkok or somewhere else?

Of course, having permanent residence makes a big difference. The OP's post seems to suggest that all this harassment was coming from Immigration, not from the Labour Ministry,. which is usually a lot easier. Fortunately you only have to renew your WP at the Labour Ministry and don't have a NON-B to renew at Immigration.

That's true and if you're the only foreigner in the company it's fine.

But if you have other foreigners with WP's Immigration still want to count the PR when calculating the 4:1 ratio.

... about the picture requirement, yah... they seem to want that.... a pain but a hoop to jump.... I even change the models in the photos ever year.thumbsup.gif i wonder if justice is done in other countries when Thais pull this junk.. Does someone remember, I recall when i worked in Thailand now that I am in a position to provide the same service.. i am happy to provide the best requirements my 5 year can devise. all about power and face..

Edited by Rhys

Anyone who claims Thai immigration has not gotten more difficult should continue to keep their head in the sand--it makes entry much easier.

Experiences vary.

Through 9 extensions of stay based on marriage, my experience has been the same every time; tedious, but not what I would call difficult.

Not joining in the pissing and moaning about a country enforcing their immigration rules is not the equivalent of sticking one's head in the sand.

Anyone who claims Thai immigration has not gotten more difficult should continue to keep their head in the sand--it makes entry much easier.

Experiences vary.

Through 9 extensions of stay based on marriage, my experience has been the same every time; tedious, but not what I would call difficult.

Not joining in the pissing and moaning about a country enforcing their immigration rules is not the equivalent of sticking one's head in the sand.

just to add to your post the rules for granting a Non B visa has been tightened and the extension requiremements and now enforced more rigerously.

Experiences vary.

Yes, experiences vary, so do peoples' opinion of what constitutes "stricter," but it is very apparent there are more people having troubles with immigration than before. Ignoring that fact is like sticking your head in the sand, but of course, peoples' opinion of what constitutes sticking your head in the sand may differ too.

Got my work permit renewed last week. No problem at all. i have PR, which may help.

What is PR may I ask?

Permanent residence. A lengthy process that costs a lot and gives you little, apart from a pretty certain ability to stay in Thailand for as long as you want to, even if you lose your job.

I and many others think its worth the time and money, whereas many others disagree.