Major Police Activity at Zoe Area Tonight

PostmanPat

And details on what to do in case of search.

It also stated that a foreigner may:

Take photos of the police officers before a search is conducted

A search must be conducted in a well-lit and public area

No money should be paid to police officers who are conducting a search, even if the foreigner is asked to do so

Vehicles or taxis can only be stopped and searched at a designated checkpoint, under the control of officers

Also, the collection of a urine sample for drug testing can only be conducted at a police station and not in any public space.

In addition to saying they’ve been extorted by police for not carrying proper ID, foreigners have also reported bag and body searches and even humiliating urine tests forced on them on the spot, in public.

http://www.basearticles.com/Article/52307/The-Need-To---Or-Not-To---Carry-A-Passport-At-All-Times-In-Thailand-Thai-Law-Spokesman-Comments.html

Thank you for telling us these things. Can you also send it to those police/army people please? Seems they didn't get all the memos.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the proplem for young backpackers is There is not a alternative,place to go in chiang mai,That does the same thing as Zoe.

Muay Thai boxing camp? wink.png

hey have discos there,Dancing areas,reggi bars,bIG Brass bands,cheap drinks,pizza stalls hamburg stalls indian resturants,Ect ect,plus many young pretty thai ladies.

the cops here make you take a piss test? Say what?!?! What kind of crap is that. Some cop comes up to a random foreigner and makes him pee in a cup? Is that what's going on?

And what is this about checking for overstayers? Who carries their passport when they're out at Zoe? And yes, most of them are just the passing through backpackers because Zoe sucks, and everyone here knows it's not worth going to anymore with 12 am closing times...maybe even earlier at times.

Random pee testing here has been going on for what seems like forever - it happens in China too. They aren't checking for overstayers, they're checking for compliance with Thai law on carrying your passport everywhere (seriously and no, a photocopy is not legally an alternative either). In Bangkok if you get caught without your passport - you get a free stay in the clink for 24 hours to reflect on why you should carry it... it's Thailand and that's how it works here.

Someone maybe should tell ol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/

Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police, has said tourists DO NOT need to carry passports at all times. His comment came when he was responding to the recent tourist shakedown reports in various media outlets over the past month. He stated that if asked to show their passports, tourists can produce their documents at a later time if necessary.

City Life are reporting that there were 100 army/police involved , some armed with assault rifles.

How pleasant for the people,having a night out, that got caught up in it.

Total over kill and probably more about targeting Zoe.

Hope it goes viral which will prompt TAT to tell us,once again,what a wonderful ,safe,friendly, place Thailand is to visit.

They aren't checking for overstayers, they're checking for compliance with Thai law on carrying your passport everywhere (seriously and no, a photocopy is not legally an alternative either).

Stop spreading false information, the top Cop gas stated that foreigners do not have to carry their passport around with them at all times .

A low level policeman did say that foreigners must carry their passports around with them at all times, but a few days later, his superior over ruled him and said that they do not have too .

According to a bar owning friend of mine there is a general crack down on bars from now until the 24th. It seems that quite apart from customers the bar owners are being checked to ensure that they are complying with regulations. So it seems that the central city & entertainment areas could be seeing more raids for a short time.

the cops here make you take a piss test? Say what?!?! What kind of crap is that. Some cop comes up to a random foreigner and makes him pee in a cup? Is that what's going on?

And what is this about checking for overstayers? Who carries their passport when they're out at Zoe? And yes, most of them are just the passing through backpackers because Zoe sucks, and everyone here knows it's not worth going to anymore with 12 am closing times...maybe even earlier at times.

Random pee testing here has been going on for what seems like forever - it happens in China too. They aren't checking for overstayers, they're checking for compliance with Thai law on carrying your passport everywhere (seriously and no, a photocopy is not legally an alternative either). In Bangkok if you get caught without your passport - you get a free stay in the clink for 24 hours to reflect on why you should carry it... it's Thailand and that's how it works here.

Someone maybe should tell ol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/

Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri, spokesman for the Royal Thai Police, has said tourists DO NOT need to carry passports at all times. His comment came when he was responding to the recent tourist shakedown reports in various media outlets over the past month. He stated that if asked to show their passports, tourists can produce their documents at a later time if necessary.

Maybe the Pol Lt Gen could tell the police? Anyone caught refusing to participate in what's expected of them by police in Thailand is in for a very hard time - newspaper articles notwithstanding. Quotes are lovely but they don't actually help people deal with the reality - which is the police can and do arrest you for not carrying the right form of ID. The rest is moot.

City Life are reporting that there were 100 army/police involved , some armed with assault rifles.

How pleasant for the people,having a night out, that got caught up in it.

Total over kill and probably more about targeting Zoe.

Hope it goes viral which will prompt TAT to tell us,once again,what a wonderful ,safe,friendly, place Thailand is to visit.

Yes over the top harrassment of young western tourists

The cheap pee test kits for opiates and meth are known to give 25% false positives due to a wide range of medication such as cough syrups. Imagine how these backpackers would feel being thrown in the cells due to just having taken some medication and the ensuing processes...

I wonder if the Police and Army will start to raid the large Chinese resturants and drag out the Chinese tourists to pee in a cup and check passports .. I dont think so

This treatment of tourists is a disgrace and needs some major news channels coverage

Edited by Mickeem

My goodness, I just read the CityNew article. It said the "raid" occurred at 10 pm! Hardly a time of "out-of-hours" drinking and that no drugs, weapons or dangerous items were found on any of the "party-goers" after the 100 police detained everyone. Also, it says they did urine tests (implying the tourists weren't taken to the station, but rather the testing was done on-the-spot) but no one was found to be using illicit drugs (wow!) and said those without a passport were taken to the police station for "processing". It went on to say that no one was found to be on overstay.

My first thought when hearing the news of this raid was "well, everyone knows you shouldn't be out drinking after 12.00 midnight", but I was wrong. This is so excessive. The raid was at 10 pm and no one was found to be in violation of anything.

I wonder how long it will be before they come to raid XXXX's at 10 pm? I've been know to be there at that excessive late hour, still sipping a red wine. Good thing I always wear dresses. It will preserve my modesty when I have to pee in the cup in public. (and I always carry my passport with me -- take that BIB!)

Edit: to remove the name of my local

Wonder if this is a nationwide exercise or direction, given similar round up in Sin City this morning. I see a 1.00am drinking establishment being open does not seem to be an issue, so CM again is out of sync.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1455879034&typecate=06&section=

And this was related to transnational crime.......que?

Edited by mamborobert

Just wait until the 20th of March - I believe is the date - when the new Immigration crackdown goes into force. What's happening now will be nothing compared to what's about to happen.

Having been a backpacker myself in the 70's-early 80's, I sympathize with the people hanging at Zoe, who only want to drink, smoke a little grass, and listen to music and dance while on vacation. Nothing wrong with that as long as they are not driving after drinking, etc. But if this new crackdown gets rid of foreign criminals, then I'm all for it. On a trip to Phuket a while back I was confronted by numerous pimps, drug dealers, and other non-desirables selling fake junk, each and every time I crossed the street. These were people from the former Soviet Union (including those ugly Kirghistan prostitutes), Pakistan, Nigeria, etc. There were criminals everywhere. And the constant stories of Russians, Hungarians, and other foreign mobsters killing each other over RE deals.....etc. Just deport them all.

Loads of hookers around and in Zoe.

Anyway, the headline should say

"Tourists and backpackers go home, you're not welcome in Chiang Mai"

And in case you forgot,

Same happened in Cu Corner a month or so back, 25 army and police raided it and questioned/photographed/id everyone inside.

That was at about 10pm on a Friday night. Probably nobody in there under 60 years old.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Just wait until the 20th of March - I believe is the date - when the new Immigration crackdown goes into force. What's happening now will be nothing compared to what's about to happen.

Having been a backpacker myself in the 70's-early 80's, I sympathize with the people hanging at Zoe, who only want to drink, smoke a little grass, and listen to music and dance while on vacation. Nothing wrong with that as long as they are not driving after drinking, etc. But if this new crackdown gets rid of foreign criminals, then I'm all for it. On a trip to Phuket a while back I was confronted by numerous pimps, drug dealers, and other non-desirables selling fake junk, each and every time I crossed the street. These were people from the former Soviet Union (including those ugly Kirghistan prostitutes), Pakistan, Nigeria, etc. There were criminals everywhere. And the constant stories of Russians, Hungarians, and other foreign mobsters killing each other over RE deals.....etc. Just deport them all.

Loads of hookers around and in Zoe.

Anyway, the headline should say

"Tourists and backpackers go home, you're not welcome in Chiang Mai"

And in case you forgot,

Same happened in Cu Corner a month or so back, 25 army and police raided it and questioned/photographed/id everyone inside.

That was at about 10pm on a Friday night. Probably nobody in there under 60 years old.

Was just reading on FB 100 cops at Zoe last night; some armed with assault rifles.

Cu Corner - is that where the jazz club is located?

This seems to be an exercise happening all over Thailand to make foreigners aware that the police mean business this time and I can understand the strategy.

Scary, but then again I suppose that`s the whole point of it. Some may think it`s going over the top, others may think it`s justified.

City News report.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/100-armed-police-raid-zoe-in-yellow-no-criminals-found/

post-246045-0-46264700-1455896842_thumb.

They aren't checking for overstayers, they're checking for compliance with Thai law on carrying your passport everywhere (seriously and no, a photocopy is not legally an alternative either).

Stop spreading false information, the top Cop gas stated that foreigners do not have to carry their passport around with them at all times .

A low level policeman did say that foreigners must carry their passports around with them at all times, but a few days later, his superior over ruled him and said that they do not have too .

What the top cop said is true. Unless the officer on the scene decides they need to see your visa stamp. In that case, you must produce your passport. Again, up to the officer on the scene as to how long you are given to do that. It's rare to be asked to produce your passport immediately, but it does happen.

We now seem to be in the same dilemma about having to carry passports. It seems in both CM and Pattaya people were taken away for not carrying passports. After the debacle in BKK last time which ended with a senior police officer saying you did not need to carry passport on your person, it seems these actions are again contradicting this. Maybe someone at one of the embassies would like to get into action and extract some definitive information from the relevant authority.

We now seem to be in the same dilemma about having to carry passports. It seems in both CM and Pattaya people were taken away for not carrying passports. After the debacle in BKK last time which ended with a senior police officer saying you did not need to carry passport on your person, it seems these actions are again contradicting this. Maybe someone at one of the embassies would like to get into action and extract some definitive information from the relevant authority.

They have:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport on request. Make sure you complete the next of kin details section in the back of your passport.

Definitively - people can and do get arrested for not carrying passports. Thus, carrying your passport is probably the only way to 100% guarantee this not happening to you. It doesn't matter what someone in Bangkok says - it matters what happens on the ground. Nocturnal raids on bars have being going on in Thailand for years, as have the arrests for not having a passport and indeed the "pee in a cup" nonsense. I'd suggest that anyone resisting arrest and waving that newspaper article as a cutting is likely to find out just how hard a Thai copper's baton (oo er missus) is when it's battered over their head.

Definitively - people can and do get arrested for not carrying passports. Thus, carrying your passport is probably the only way to 100% guarantee this not happening to you. It doesn't matter what someone in Bangkok says - it matters what happens on the ground. Nocturnal raids on bars have being going on in Thailand for years, as have the arrests for not having a passport and indeed the "pee in a cup" nonsense. I'd suggest that anyone resisting arrest and waving that newspaper article as a cutting is likely to find out just how hard a Thai copper's baton (oo er missus) is when it's battered over their head.

Stop spreading false information .

People do not get arrested for not carrying their passport around and no one has ever been hit by a police batton for not having their passport on them .

If the Police want to see your passport, they will accompany you back to your room for you to show it to them, you will only be arrested if you cannot or will not show them your passport.

Only you can say why you keep spreading your false scare mongering

People do not get arrested for not carrying their passport around and no one has ever been hit by a police batton for not having their passport on them .

If the Police want to see your passport, they will accompany you back to your room for you to show it to them, you will only be arrested if you cannot or will not show them your passport.

You mean the 30 people in Pattaya arrested for not having their passports were making it up? I don't think so.

You can believe what you want to believe. I know several people who have done a night in the cells in Bangkok for not having a passport on them. The UK government says; "carry your passport."

You should stop spreading false information. A newspaper cutting may make you feel self-righteously accurate but reality contradicts that article and if in doubt - sane people go with reality. Now stop trolling.

Please stop spreading false information. No more posts like this or they will get removed. We don't want people getting into trouble by reading incorrect information on our website. Please. You may be right about the baton. But that's not the point.

wai2.gif

You mean the 30 people in Pattaya arrested for not having their passports were making it up? I don't think so.

You can believe what you want to believe. I know several people who have done a night in the cells in Bangkok for not having a passport on them. The UK government says; "carry your passport."

You should stop spreading false information. A newspaper cutting may make you feel self-righteously accurate but reality contradicts that article and if in doubt - sane people go with reality. Now stop trolling.

I have seen individuals arrested not just by the BIB'S but by the army and given free accommodations. One spent 7 days in one of theses resort until his gf was able to locate his pp. Up to you.

I believe the correct wording is that you're "detained" by the police until someone can bring your passport to them.

I wonder if you show them your Thai drivers license which contains your passport number, can't they look up your passport number in the national computer system and check out your immigration status there?