'Simply impossible': Husband of Harvard debt-skipping dentist rejects repayment deadline

webfact

'Simply impossible': Husband of Harvard debt-skipping dentist rejects repayment deadline
By Coconuts Bangkok

dolrudee_0.jpg
A photo of Dr Dolrudee Jumlongras, which circulated on social media

BANGKOK: -- Greg Brown, the American husband of the debt-skipping Harvard dentist, has told her four guarantors they can either work together — or take legal action and prolong the case.

Writing to a negotiator representing Dr Padej Poonwithayakij and the three other Thai guarantors who were left to deal with Dr Dolrudee Jumlongras’s THB30 million scholarship debt, Brown explained that his family simply could not meet the demanded 2.5-year-timeframe to pay them back as they had to cover mortgage and childcare expenses.

"A 2.5 year term is simply impossible." Brown wrote in a letter dated Feb. 11, published by Matichon.

"The funds I receive from my salary after taxes and healthcare insurance... result in me receiving US$1,100 less than is required to pay the mortgage on our house — the house I purchased with no monetary contribution from Porsche [Dr Dolrudee].”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/18/simply-impossible-husband-harvard-debt-skipping-dentist-rejects-repayment-deadline

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-19

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Am I only the only one who's not mad about what this woman has done/is doing?

Don't get me wrong - what's going on is absolutely wrong and if all is true, she needs to pay back what she owes. But I can't help but feel locals are just venting against her because she's a Thai who has a better life abroad and isn't coming back.

With all the blatant corruption and stealing that goes on here with the rich and powerful, I'd love to see some consistency. She's just an easy target. There are a lot worse people here who the public don't even bat an eyelid with.

Don't get me wrong - what's going on is absolutely wrong and if all is true, she needs to pay back what she owes. But I can't help but feel locals are just venting against her because she's a Thai who has a better life abroad and isn't coming back.

With all the blatant corruption and stealing that goes on here with the rich and powerful, I'd love to see some consistency. She's just an easy target. There are a lot worse people here who the public don't even bat an eyelid with.

I think what most Thais (and the odd foreigner who actually cares) are angry about is her attitude, in more than 20 years she has barely dented the loan amount, has broken the terms of her scholarship (ie not fulfilled her legal / moral responsibilities towards Mahidol Uni) and has now dropped her guarantors in the proverbial because of her financial mismanagement.

For the Thais who are dedicated and smart enough to make a good life for themselves abroad, I wish them every success doing it, but when you don't take care of your affairs back home & it causes massive hardships for them, that is a huge issue. Put yourself in her guarantors' shoes

Where's you comment about the local people who have gone into big time debt to pay her loan because they were the guarantors, some limiting their own ability to take care of their own immediate families?

Should they suffer?

Where's you comment about the local people who have gone into big time debt to pay her loan because they were the guarantors, some limiting their own ability to take care of their own immediate families?

Should they suffer?

As I said, she should be made to repay her debts. People have every right to be angry.

My point was; what's needed is some consistency. People getting really angry with this and rightly so. But why aren't they getting as angry with people who get away with murder and blatant theft from the people.

You could say she's a product of her society. Little or no reprecussions or consequences for her actions because of who she thinks she is.

I'm sure the authorities are doing all they can to recoup the money so let them get on with it. The authorities on the other are doing very little about other miscarriages and you see very little anger.

Again. It's all about context and consistency.

Yes I agree that there is "blatant corruption and stealing that goes on here with rich and powerful" and some are held to account but many are not.

This woman borrowed the money and left her grantor's in the (_____) because she simply didn't want to pay the money back and thinking she is untouchable now in the US.

Now if there was a full and transparent audit of her income then I'm Shure she could have paid the money back BUT chose not to.

How about her family? why are they not coming forward to help their daughter? There is talk of them being not short of a dollar or two and not exactly strait shooters.

So as you say rich and powerful getting away with corruption and stealing.

If you can not meet your financial obligation's then you need to liquidate assets to meet those obligation's, very simple.

There are plenty of Thai's that are paying back their debit over time including my wife many of whom are on very minimum wages, so why should she be allowed to just walk away?

No sympathy here as it seems she deserves none.

Should they suffer?

As I said, she should be made to repay her debts. People have every right to be angry.

My point was; what's needed is some consistency. People getting really angry with this and rightly so. But why aren't they getting as angry with people who get away with murder and blatant theft from the people.

You could say she's a product of her society. Little or no reprecussions or consequences for her actions because of who she thinks she is.

I'm sure the authorities are doing all they can to recoup the money so let them get on with it. The authorities on the other are doing very little about other miscarriages and you see very little anger.

This girl has done basically the same as the other 60,000 govt employees who haven't repaid college debts from current wages...

Likely the thai authority's can't do anything because she's out of their duristiction and harvard won't make her pay....

She will get a lot more negative critics because cowardly Thais will attack her nice American life on Facebook when they won't say anything to the corrupt policeman who lives next door in the community....

Yes I agree that there is "blatant corruption and stealing that goes on here with rich and powerful" and some are held to account but many are not.

This woman borrowed the money and left her grantor's in the (_____) because she simply didn't want to pay the money back and thinking she is untouchable now in the US.

Now if there was a full and transparent audit of her income then I'm Shure she could have paid the money back BUT chose not to.

How about her family? why are they not coming forward to help their daughter? There is talk of them being not short of a dollar or two and not exactly strait shooters.

So as you say rich and powerful getting away with corruption and stealing.

If you can not meet your financial obligation's then you need to liquidate assets to meet those obligation's, very simple.

There are plenty of Thai's that are paying back their debit over time including my wife many of whom are on very minimum wages, so why should she be allowed to just walk away?

No sympathy here as it seems she deserves none.

I have no sympathy for her and little sympathy for the people who are angry. When you choose to ignore bigger problems, you lose sympathy.

Should they suffer?

This girl has done basically the same as the other 60,000 govt employees who haven't repaid college debts from current wages...

Likely the thai authority's can't do anything because she's out of their duristiction and harvard won't make her pay....

She will get a lot more negative critics because cowardly Thais will attack her nice American life on Facebook when they won't say anything to the corrupt policeman who lives next door in the community....

Wow - do you really think many of those government employees you mention have college debts near THB 30 million? And did you perhaps notice that the issue here is that private guarantors (who trusted her) have to pay off her debt if she refuses to do so. Don't let your obvious anti-Thai bias blind you to the facts of this particular case...

Her nickname is "Porsche"? Looks more like a Corolla.

She beat the system and people are just pissed she left some stupid Thai's to fund her scholarship behind her.

The only effect this might have is on future scholarships and potential guarantors.

...otherwise its just an exercise in futility.

Her husbands comments clearly indicate that they have little intention to pay.

Failure to prepare on their part is their problem. They knew the debt was out there. Buy cheaper car, eat out less, etc. They clearly went on about their lives hoping and planning to never repay anything. They could have been making small payments all along the way, either directly or by putting the money aside in a bank account.

How can anyone get a scholarship worth 30,000,000 baht?? Doesn't sound right to me, maybe there is more to this.

Normally, scholarship recipients must return to the country following the completion of their studies to teach at their university for double the time they spent at their university overseas. If they fail to fulfil this obligation, they must pay back three times the amount of the scholarship.

Can Thailand request that she be extradited back to Thailand? Would the USA ever agree to that, especially since I understand she is now a US citizen? Filing charges would get her detained if she ever went near Thailand or maybe traveled through some other foreign country that had an interest in pleasing Thailand

Getting loans to get degrees and then having to work back for those people or in some pre-specified area was and still is fairly common. In the USA the TV show Northern Exposure was entertaining and dealt with a NY educated guy that had to go back and live and work in Northern Alaska as a Doctor after he went through medical school that was paid for by the town.

So you mean that its ok for everyone to steal? Free for all ? If they catch a kid stealing a minor value thing in a convenience store he will end up in court and very possibly in gaol.