Rules of the Thai deli counter (are there any?)

Jingthing

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Chiang Mai but from NYC. Where can I buy a great Bagel, without a bagel and some scallion cream cheese who needs smoked salmon

There is no such entity as a great bagel. To Australians, it's like eating plasticine.

Haven't had one, eh?
Of course he hasn't. He's from Australia 55555

Happens to me sometimes in villa, they give me wildly inaccurate weights that I know I will not eat. I usually just accept it,then quietly leave it in the fridge section as if I've changed my mind. I'm too British to start arguing with the guy.

Yes, that's an option. I'm way too much of whatever I am to do that though. But I understand.

Smoked Salmon comes pre-sliced(usually)

How do you expect to receive an exact weight ? Do you expect the Deli staff to hack bits from a slice to make it meet your demand ? What happens to the wast you have caused ?

The slice should be weighed, priced and then trimmed to your requirement but charged at the same price as the untrimmed slice !

Scraps could probably not be sold and certainly not at the price asked for whole slices.

edit

remove typo

Not being a spelling Nazi I am just wondering what typo you removed yet still managed to leave 'wast' in

This proves that Thailand is not a home from home, and is a country where we rely on the honesty and good will of others, there are no civil laws that protect us. Complain, argue for our rights and we lose. In Thailand we have to take the rough with the smooth, no point in publicizing every bad eventuality, it doesn`t get us anyway. Oh God, spelling error, mean`t anywhere.

Edited by cyberfarang

I live in Chiang Mai but from NYC. Where can I buy a great Bagel, without a bagel and some scallion cream cheese who needs smoked salmon

There is no such entity as a great bagel. To Australians, it's like eating plasticine.

Haven't had one, eh?

Tried eating several in New York. Apart from the plasticine effect, completely tasteless. I suppose it's like you guys trying to eat Vegemite. At least that sends a wakeup call to the tastebuds.

Smoked Salmon comes pre-sliced(usually)

How do you expect to receive an exact weight ? Do you expect the Deli staff to hack bits from a slice to make it meet your demand ? What happens to the wast you have caused ?

The slice should be weighed, priced and then trimmed to your requirement but charged at the same price as the untrimmed slice !

Scraps could probably not be sold and certainly not at the price asked for whole slices.

edit

remove typo

The OP acknowledged that it comes in slices, and a 'bit' over is OK. 30% over is not OK.

I order in Thai so they know I understand Thai numbers. They also know I would understand if they bothered to ask me if the amount they added to the order was OK or not before they wrap and expect me to accept an over order. They aren't even trying. They don't CARE. This one isn't about language. I really wondered if this is about an exceptionally poorly run store in customer service or whether there was some cultural thing about expecting to just accept way over orders and never complaining. I realize in Thai culture complaining about anything, regardless of whether the complaint has merit, tends to label the complainer as a trouble maker, etc. From a "face" POV I can also see that refusing to accept an over order may be seen as a declaration of Cheap Charlieness which of course from a foreigner would tend to reduce your status here and may invite disrespect.

Chances are they are messing with you on purpose.

"Here comes the guy with OCD again. Lets see how he reacts to am extra 40g today"

booooooooom

Customer satisfaction is not part of Thai business ethics. Customers have to take what their given and be thankful for getting served in the first place.

I dunno.

The girls in the Star Of Light never let a customer leave unsatisfied.

So my friends tell me...

How are your Thai language skills?

You say you asked for 100 g and he always gives you 30 % more. 30 % is 130 g not 150 g.

And if you keep fighting with him; he will give you some of his special sauce, or something .

At least 30 percent more. The point was the percentage over wasn't tiny and it's never been necessary to go over so much as it can always be corrected by removing entire slices.

The 150 gram was given as an example of how absurd it is to get a large overage when ordering 100 gram.

No, I'm not going to "fight" with them anymore.

That is if you call asking to get what you ordered fighting, that's a pretty low bar for that word.

Most likely I won't go near that counter unless I notice a change in staff.

I like the idea of asking for less than wanted. That would probably work for a virgin there. But like I said, they know me and hate me now and not subtle about it.

Not only did I demand they actually do their job I have questioned the cleanliness of the bare hands of a man who cuts up dead animals.

Mercy!

<deleted>

In all seriousness is there a history of mental illness in your family?

One might suspect that there are, then, no real bagels to be had in Australia.

In the world generally what is touted as a "bagel" is but a doughnut shaped piece of bread. The boiling first seems to be viewed as an unnecessary complication by many "bagel" suppliers, but it is the je ne sais qua of a great bagel. Go a step further and boil in chicken broth....whistling.gif

Also needed is a strong flour, and only about half the liquid used for most breads in order to get the proper chewiness....

Bkk Bagels in Maneeya Center do an ok job of it. I have to check out the one

near Ekemai.

You know your options already but sometimes when a psychologist tells you something obvious, you just tell yourself i knew that but i never thought it. So you know you wont get better service in that place in future but still keeps coming. If you trying to change the mentality of the person working there you should talk to their boss. try order 80g and see where it end. or split the 120g in 2 and eat 4 days.

The reason this place is never going to change their service to customers is because people like you. Why would he when you always come back. What benefits the new place that opened across the street where the owner thought that he would have good service because he values hes customers.. None , because you dont care so why would he.

Change place and be happy.

Edited by sead

You know your options already but sometimes when a psychologist tells you something obvious, you just tell yourself i knew that but i never thought it. So you know you wont get better service in that place in future but still keeps coming. If you trying to change the mentality of the person working there you should talk to their boss. try order 80g and see where it end. or split the 120g in 2 and eat 4 days.

The reason this place is never going to change their service to customers is because people like you. Why would he when you always come back. What benefits the new place that opened across the street where the owner thought that he would have good service because he values hes customers.. None , because you dont care so why would he.

You're assuming I have other local choices for that product at that price.

Nope.

You make a lot of assumptions.

There is no boss to talk to.

Even if there was, elevating it to a higher level would make things worse with the staff.

You're focused on the small.

I asked a bigger question about deli rules in Thailand IN GENERAL.

Is it weird for Thailand that that a deli counter place would consistently behave that way, overdo the order when it's not necessary based on the physics of the product, don't ask if it's OK, get hostile if you reject it, OR NOT?

Edited by Jingthing

Nope.

Even if there was, elevating it to a higher level would make things worse with the staff.

Is it weird for Thailand that that a deli counter place would consistently behave that way, overdo the order when it's not necessary based on the physics of the product, don't ask if it's OK, get hostile if you reject it, OR NOT?

There are no "Deli Rules" in Thailand general or otherwise !

The Deli we shop at (clearly an up market place ! ) the scale is visible from both sides of the counter. When asking for a given amount of product we are aware that it is not always possible to provide exactly 100gm/3.5 ounces (who would order such a small amount of anything?) The ladies/gents serving will weigh an amount which approximates what has been asked for and inquire if more or less is wanted before the purchase is wrapped. Of course speaking to the assistants in respectful Thai helps.

I will not name the Deli we use as it may become infested by cheap charlies buying exact 100gm portions !

Edited by sunnyjim5

I order in Thai so they know I understand Thai numbers. They also know I would understand if they bothered to ask me if the amount they added to the order was OK or not before they wrap and expect me to accept an over order. They aren't even trying. They don't CARE. This one isn't about language. I really wondered if this is about an exceptionally poorly run store in customer service or whether there was some cultural thing about expecting to just accept way over orders and never complaining. I realize in Thai culture complaining about anything, regardless of whether the complaint has merit, tends to label the complainer as a trouble maker, etc. From a "face" POV I can also see that refusing to accept an over order may be seen as a declaration of Cheap Charlieness which of course from a foreigner would tend to reduce your status here and may invite disrespect.

Chances are they are messing with you on purpose.

"Here comes the guy with OCD again. Lets see how he reacts to am extra 40g today"

booooooooom

ROFL

Still Laughing. That one saved my day...

This will be known as the 100g Salmon topic muahahha

Edited by sead

Nope.

There are no "Deli Rules" in Thailand general or otherwise !

The Deli we shop at (clearly an up market place ! ) the scale is visible from both sides of the counter. When asking for a given amount of product we are aware that it is not always possible to provide exactly 100gm/3.5 ounces (who would order such a small amount of anything?) The ladies/gents serving will weigh an amount which approximates what has been asked for and inquire if more or less is wanted before the purchase is wrapped. Of course speaking to the assistants in respectful Thai helps.

I will not name the Deli we use as it may become infested by cheap charlies buying exact 100gm portions !

100 grams is a common portion to buy of smoked salmon.

When packaged, the choices are usually 100 or 200 grams.

But this is deli counter, asking for it to be packed.

I do think asking for less than 100 grams would be odd. But 100 grams a very common desire.

I have already said I don't expect exact.

But when they add multiples slices more than 100 grams and don't bother to confirm, that sucks.

I think doing their job perfectly would be to wrap it at the first slice that hits or goes over the weight. No need for confirmation on that, but that would be even better (but I would say yes).

But this place never does that.

Glad you are getting good service where you shop.

Edited by Jingthing