What is Songkran like in soi Buakhow ?

wileycoyote

Officially 13.4. - 19.4. 2016

Plenty of morons starting early with support of the classy ladies that line Bouakao & Sois.

Living there for almost 20 years & trying to avoid. Might have been funny in the beginning until

it started escalating.

Don't travel on 18. & 19. You won't get in or out of Pattaya. Complete chaos.

For last few few years "the action" slowed down considerably after 7pm, but still plenty of funny people

who love to high-pressure shoot bike drivers & old people or people going to work in the face.

It is what it is and few of us residents like it, I guess.

19th. is the day you should not miss, but better location is along beach. Enjoy! MS>

In a couple weeks I'll put up a new Songkran FAQ. It's in the works. In the meantime, you can read last year's: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707843-2014-songkran-faq-long/

Whoops! Here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807030-the-2015-pattaya-songkran-faq-long/

The basic facts don't change much. Last year's Songkran was milder than in previous years; we can hope for more of the same this year

Save your comments for the FAQ thread . . . you'll have a whole month to let 'em rip. For now, book your tickets out (I did!) unless you wanna stay here and deal with it.

It gets worse every year. It runs for several days. This means that during daylight you can't go outside without getting soaked. You won't be able to walk to a restaurant, take a baht bus to the mall to see a movie, or do anything else. You will have wet clothes to wear and after a day or two the water you are being hit with can be pretty stale and dirty. Then every year more and more people continue to wet people at night so that is bad. You go out to walk to a gogo or anyplace else and get soaked. If you want to experience it, fine. Go for a couple of days. Beach road and soi 7 and soi 8 are better than soi bukhao in my opinion. I was there for two Songkrans and it is not worth it to me to go again. I plan my trips around it.

Songkran anywhere in Pattaya is my idea of Hell, which is why I will be in Australia for its duration. If you are here during the prolonged "festivities" for God's sake don't ride a motorbike. I once saw a mentally subnormal reveller chuck a full bucket of water over a motorcyclist on Beach Road. The result, fortunately, was not death but I wish it had been for the water thrower. Thailand's shortage of water will not have the slightest effect on reducing the chaos and waste of that precious and vital fluid. Rant over!

The bingo chips get a bit soggy.

The Q&A section of the FAQ already answers our water hooligans' and trolls' three favorite taunts (I quote):

• But saying anything against Songkran is a whinge.
  • f u dnt lk sngkrn ur a grumpy old git. Grumpy old gi-it! Grumpy old gi-it!
  • f u dnt go out n fIt, ur a pussy scArd o my BIG BAD supR soaker. Yah, yah, pussy.

And you can get those out of the way now by reading the answers in last year's FAQ.

Besides that, the FAQ even offers advice for those who wish to participate or otherwise be a target. One is the standard admonition to keep one's phone (etc.) in a Ziploc baggie. However, I'll note this year, from a news report, that the baggie is subject to theft during the "fun." You might consider that the theft or destruction of one's phone means, among other things, the bother of having to re-download one's Justin Bieber collection.

Best time of the year in pattaya, which is saying something for the best party city in the world.

Something to be seen. It is the day the Thais take over Pattaya. It is the same all over. From the dark side, on sukhuvit and thru all the sois. But Pattaya city really puts it on on the beach road. If you are starting in soi bukeow, it is an easy walk down from there.

You get a lot of farangs complaining about it, they have a bit of a sook getting wet, but most people love it. I assume by your post you are not one of those crybabies.

It is awesome, it is on the 19th usually in pattaya which is last. Last year I did hua hin first which was pretty good, naklua was a day or two before pattaya which also rocks. This year I am heading to Issan, but will make it back for pattaya, and hopefully naklua.

Basically happy party people love it, and whingers also secretly love it, because it gives them something to whinge about.

On that time of the year my pick-up truck get used a lot, driving in to Central parking lot, walk into the mall, eat, have a smoke on 3rd floor balcony looking down at the madness, walking exercise inside the mall, I sometimes do all the floors.

Take my ride back home to the house with doors locked and windows firmly closed. smile.png

Archived