What is Songkran like in soi Buakhow ?

wileycoyote

Best time of the year in pattaya, which is saying something for the best party city in the world.

Something to be seen. It is the day the Thais take over Pattaya. It is the same all over. From the dark side, on sukhuvit and thru all the sois. But Pattaya city really puts it on on the beach road. If you are starting in soi bukeow, it is an easy walk down from there.

You get a lot of farangs complaining about it, they have a bit of a sook getting wet, but most people love it. I assume by your post you are not one of those crybabies.

It is awesome..

Interesting. What do you like about Pattaya Songkran, if you can be little bit specific? Do you like the water and beaning wet for 10 days? Im not bating at all, I'd like to understand what about Pattaya Songkran makes people love it.

If you could have a massive city wide stree party, but opt to be dry, would you go for that, if you could have it your way?

Best time of the year in pattaya, which is saying something for the best party city in the world.

Worst time of the year. It's a very different kind of party that most residents, normal tourists, and the experienced don't enjoy. No reason they should.

You get a lot of farangs complaining about it, they have a bit of a sook getting wet, but most people love it. I assume by your post you are not one of those crybabies.

Obviously you don't know anything about Songran since you're innocent as a babe about the powder, the ice, the attempts to wreck motorbikes, and the forced participation. At no time has it been just "harmless fun" and "a larf." Let's hear from the Angela Hone crybaby two decades ago:

We were walking along, not bothered about getting sprayed with water pistols, when I suddenly saw a European girl very distraught having had powder flung into her eyes. Then 5 minutes later it happened to me. Suddenly I saw a hand filled with powder which was slapped into my open eyes. It was a terrible shock and very distressing. Luckily enough I was wearing contact lenses, which were by now a horrible dense white, completely caked in powder. Someone, thankfully, squirted water in my eyes and I managed, in a state of panic, to get the lenses out. As I am very short sighted, I then couldn’t see. It ruined the night for my husband and I and we had to come back to the hotel. In retrospect, what is even more worrying is that the powder substance could have been caustic and caused permanent, serious damage.

--Angela Hone (Scotland, UK), "Dangerous powder on Songkran," Pattaya Mail, Friday 9 May 1997 - 15 May 1997

If only you could have been there to sneer and call her names. But you may well have similar opportunities this year.

Nor do Thai residents like it for 10 days. A lot of them leave town too. Some businesses benefit, but most don't. Water wars leave beach vendors high and dry Most tourists don't like it. Tourists flock to Koh Larn to escape Songkran water wars TVF Deathwatchers don't permit day trippers to be designated as tourists, BTW.

Since you don't know anything, I suggest you read last year's FAQ: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807030-the-2015-pattaya-songkran-faq-long/

Pay esp. attn to sec 5, the Why section.

Basically happy party people love it, and whingers also secretly love it, because it gives them something to whinge about.

No. And there've been some notable conversions of happy party people who went from loving it to hating it--with good reason. The real question is, why doesn't anyone always have something better to do than to throw water, powder, and ice on people? I do. :)

Let's hear from the Angela Hone crybaby two decades ago:

We were walking along, not bothered about getting sprayed with water pistols, when I suddenly saw a European girl very distraught having had powder flung into her eyes. Then 5 minutes later it happened to me. Suddenly I saw a hand filled with powder which was slapped into my open eyes. It was a terrible shock and very distressing. Luckily enough I was wearing contact lenses, which were by now a horrible dense white, completely caked in powder. Someone, thankfully, squirted water in my eyes and I managed, in a state of panic, to get the lenses out. As I am very short sighted, I then couldnt see. It ruined the night for my husband and I and we had to come back to the hotel. In retrospect, what is even more worrying is that the powder substance could have been caustic and caused permanent, serious damage.

--Angela Hone (Scotland, UK), "Dangerous powder on Songkran," Pattaya Mail, Friday 9 May 1997 - 15 May 1997

What a crybaby! I can't believe some people make such a big deal over loosing eye sight and posdibly becoming blind for the rest of her life! Man up, grumpy lady! It's fun, just like Roomuck posted earlier!

Bike accidents due to deliberately throughing water on passing bikes - fun! Ruined phones because you thought you are smart, and think you know what day the fun starts, but some fun loving people drop bucket of water on you 2 days before official start day - fun! Most Pattaya residents leaving or forced to stay indoors for 10 days - ton of fun!

So you think Pattaya Music Festival can in any way be becompared to Songkran here, 10 days of water. How does the music festival even come to mind?

You say Songkran in Pattay is really Thai to you. I've been here for a while, and to me it's nothing like Thailand. The only happy Thais you can observe during the 10 days here are bar girls and children, hours and hours of Pattaya Songkran on Youtube to comfirm this in case you think I'm in wrong parts of the city or misinterpret it in any way.

You simply can't function soaking wet for 12 hours a day, and I'm normally outside in Pattaya from early afternoon to early morning every day. Can you be in Pataya, outside for these 10 days, soaking wet for about 12 hours a day, and happy because Thais are happy.

You mention you are going to North East this year for Songkran, wise decision!

Off topic troll posts removed, further troll posts will result in a suspension be warned, you know who you are..

Save your comments for the Songkran topic meanwhile this one is closed.

Archived