Walking Street Sweep Nets 30 Foreigners Without Proper Papers in Pattaya

snoop1130

The irony in all of this is that the persons caught up in the Immigration Police

dragnet have all been the subject of, essentially, racial profiling!

I do, however, think that the concept of racial profiling would be lost on the

Thai authorities.

Racial profiling is done for a reason. If you have information about a gang of blacks selling drugs on Soi 3 does it make sense to waste your time checking out Japanese or old grand mothers? If you know ISIS is planning to blowup something don't it make sense to look for people who fit the image and not check everyone. If people belong to a group who is being profiled perhaps they need to make changes in their group's behavior and not blame others for trying to protect themselves. This PC talk is one reason this world is getting so screwed up. Call a spade a spade not a heart or club.

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but clearly too subtle for you to understand.

You must be one of those persons that needs a smiley face next to some text, to help you with its deeper meaning. smile.png

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you carried your passport every day it would be damaged very quickly or lost. There should be an official card you can get that fits in your wallet that states your visa status and date for renewal. Charge 100 baht and have on official stamp. Nice way to make money for the Government and a way to help prevent lost or stolen passports.

I have always found my passport to be a remarkably robust document.

As an aside, the Philippines provide,for a charge, a chipped ID card after you hit 3months in the country.

As for the US, certainly regular loss of your passport will raise a flag, however the black mark and 2 strikes story is a well perpetuated myth to ensure people safeguard the document.

The irony in all of this is that the persons caught up in the Immigration Police

Thai authorities.

Racial profiling is done for a reason. If you have information about a gang of blacks selling drugs on Soi 3 does it make sense to waste your time checking out Japanese or old grand mothers? If you know ISIS is planning to blowup something don't it make sense to look for people who fit the image and not check everyone. If people belong to a group who is being profiled perhaps they need to make changes in their group's behavior and not blame others for trying to protect themselves. This PC talk is one reason this world is getting so screwed up. Call a spade a spade not a heart or club.

Call a spade a spade & you'll get the PC Crowd breathing down your neck!

Not just TVN, but everywhere.

BS.

It all depends upon what you are talking about, a spade as a digging implement? No one gets upset.

A spade on a playing card? No problem.

As a term of prejudice and bigotry aimed at someone because of their colour? Now that indeed is racist and hate speech.

Now I wonder what you were referring to?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are just another poor soul who reacts to the fact we live in a multicultural world and yells PC because hate speech is recognised for what it is.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thai authorities.

Call a spade a spade & you'll get the PC Crowd breathing down your neck!

Not just TVN, but everywhere.

BS.

It all depends upon what you are talking about, a spade as a digging implement? No one gets upset.

A spade on a playing card? No problem.

As a term of prejudice and bigotry aimed at someone because of their colour? Now that indeed is racist and hate speech.

Now I wonder what you were referring to?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume you are just another poor soul who reacts to the fact we live in a multicultural world and yells PC because hate speech is recognised for what it is.

There you go jumping to conclusions.

And you can keep your benefits.

Since you're so smart, l'll let you figure it out.

Having a British passport and living in Chiang Mai would mean 2 trips to Bangkok to replace it if my passport got lost, damaged or stolen.

I carry my Thai driving license and a copy of my passport. I prefer to take my chances that this will suffice because the consequences of anything happening to my original passport are too high. It`s not rocket science to understand that most foreigners are afraid to carry their passports for the same reasons, but on the other hand most tourists will not hold Thai driving licenses and the police are within their rights to demand a show of passports.

You would have enjoyed 4 overnight bus rides then. You need your passport to get on a plane here. Thais need their national ID card.
I have flown many domestic flights with only my Thai drivers licence as ID.
Me too!! Only photographic I'd is required

Look let's just simplify all this. Cause we are thinking too much (including myself).

Carry a copy showing the first page on one side and the visa stamp on the back. Keep that folded in your wallet. No need for fancy laminated things, all they are interested to know is if you are on overstay or not.

If they want to abuse you, they will abuse you. They were doing it in Thonglor a while back (stopping farangs on the street for urine tests). That Thonglor police pic with "our rights" that is circulating here was made by them after a more known guy (forgot who it was) complained live on TV (if I recall correctly), and that made them back off. Next day no more police was testing anybody based on instructions from the chief.

Forget laws and all that, the law says bars should close at midnight and some stay open until 5 AM, the law states that it's wrong to have more than 120 cards and that seems to be vigorously respected nowadays, and so on.

If you give them the impression they have nothing to get you on, and it's for real, they won't waste their time. It's not only a loss of time but potential revenue.

We're trying too much to apply Western logic here and that's the problem. Thailand has its own logic.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782505-reports-emerging-of-police-drug-testing-scam-in-bangkok/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781621-surge-of-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats/ (Video included)​

(December 2014)

This is for the newbies, for others it's good to refresh good old memories.

Edited by lkv

There you go, have a read of this:

"Although Thailand is operating under the emergency provisions of Martial Law, that only applies to the Army and its soldiers – not the police force.

According to Section 93 of the criminal code, searches conducted in public are prohibited without probable cause. The code states searches are only allowed by police officers when there is probably cause to suspect someone has something in their possession that is illegal, will be used to commit a crime or was obtained through commission of a crime.

Of course there’s a subjectivity to “probable cause” that’s going to lean toward the officer’s interpretation.

Chokwan Chopaka of Thai Legal Firm said although random searches are nothing new, their office has had a surge of inquiries from people who’ve experienced such incidents, which seem to be happening during the daytime and mostly targeting men.

She advised anyone stopped to use common sense and be aware they do have some rights.

“If they’re going to search, first have them show their hands to make sure they’re empty,” she said.

Women have a right to request a woman police officer to conduct the search, which probably means going to the station. If they demand a urine test, you can refuse to do it on the street and insist they conduct it at the station or in a clinic.

Also carrying adequate documentation is advisable.

“Foreigners should at least carry a photocopy of their passport. Not just the front page, but also the visa page,” she said, adding that photos on your smartphone are likely to be rejected.

In case police detain you or take you into the station, insist on calling your attorney – even if you don’t have one. You can also insist they contact your embassy.

“Don’t sign anything and tell them you want to call your lawyer,” she said. “At a minimum, call a friend and get them involved – preferably Thai.”

And no matter how righteously wronged one may feel, there’s nothing to be gained by showing anger. Stay polite and don’t raise your voice.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/04/surge-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats

Edited by lkv

"Although Thailand is operating under the emergency provisions of Martial Law, that only applies to the Army and its soldiers – not the police force.

According to Section 93 of the criminal code, searches conducted in public are prohibited without probable cause. The code states searches are only allowed by police officers when there is probably cause to suspect someone has something in their possession that is illegal, will be used to commit a crime or was obtained through commission of a crime.

Of course there’s a subjectivity to “probable cause” that’s going to lean toward the officer’s interpretation.

Chokwan Chopaka of Thai Legal Firm said although random searches are nothing new, their office has had a surge of inquiries from people who’ve experienced such incidents, which seem to be happening during the daytime and mostly targeting men.

She advised anyone stopped to use common sense and be aware they do have some rights.

“If they’re going to search, first have them show their hands to make sure they’re empty,” she said.

Women have a right to request a woman police officer to conduct the search, which probably means going to the station. If they demand a urine test, you can refuse to do it on the street and insist they conduct it at the station or in a clinic.

“Foreigners should at least carry a photocopy of their passport. Not just the front page, but also the visa page,” she said, adding that photos on your smartphone are likely to be rejected.

In case police detain you or take you into the station, insist on calling your attorney – even if you don’t have one. You can also insist they contact your embassy.

“Don’t sign anything and tell them you want to call your lawyer,” she said. “At a minimum, call a friend and get them involved – preferably Thai.”

And no matter how righteously wronged one may feel, there’s nothing to be gained by showing anger. Stay polite and don’t raise your voice.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/12/04/surge-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats

This is what the police at soi 9 in Pattaya told my friend who lives there, shortly after the coup, when they were conducting late night raids on a few of the clubs...

copy good/ok, picture in phone not ok.

Get a clear colour photocopy of your main page and the Thai entry visa stamp in your passport and carry that. As an added bonus, bring a card from wherever you are staying so the police could call the hotel and ask if you are a guest there.

It's idiotic to walk around a place like that with your passport in your pocket.

Here we go again!! So after walking past all the crime scenes on the way to walking street, all the bib can find find is 30 or so farlangs without passports. TIT at its finest.

Someday, no one will come & they will all stand around wondering, why?????

so when was this assurance revoked?blink.png

" Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

"Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification."

I think that everybody must be able to proof his identity in some kind. I have a copy of my passport and visa all the time. Just a photo on my smartphone.

yes I also carry my Thai drivers license at all times.

But in the Pattaya section someone has started a thread today saying the " road was blocked and are checking all drivers paperwork. Also asking farangs for passports. ".

when a police officer stops a motorist the first thing they usually ask for is a drivers license which shows the passport number. I would also reckon that 90% of farangs in Thailand driving a car would have a Thai drivers license. So why were they also asking for passports?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/896379-bib-clampdown-cars-pattaya/

So why were they also asking for passports?

Maybe because the driver license don't have any information about your right to stay in the kingdom. (Visa)

And what does that have to do with your ability to drive a car?

I can understand why a police officer might for example, pull over a foreign registered car and ask for the car's temporary import papers (happened to me once driving a Lao registered car) but to ask for a passport from a foreign driver is simply irrelevant and xenophobic.

In all the years I've been pulled over, I've never been asked for mine. Unfortunately though, some of my passengers have been (once by the army) and they were either Vietnamese or Sri Lankan.

The problem of the ID is not really the issue here.

The issue here is the unfriendly , harassing, general attitude of the Thais towards foreign tourists these days.

Whether it be the rip offs, the violence or now the harassment of tourists it is just something you are not looking for when you take a holiday.

Well said. I feel same way. I'm so angry how they treat us as a whole. It's too hard for me to respect or trust thais. I can be nice to the ones attractive to me tho. This place is a circus show.

Edited by Tigerbythetail

The problem of the ID is not really the issue here.

The issue here is the unfriendly , harassing, general attitude of the Thais towards foreign tourists these days.

Whether it be the rip offs, the violence or now the harassment of tourists it is just something you are not looking for when you take a holiday.

Well said. I feel same way. I'm so angry how they treat us as a whole. It's too hard for me to respect or trust thais. I can be nice to the ones attractive to me tho. This place is a circus show.

Who are "they"?

"Although Thailand is operating under the emergency provisions of Martial Law, that only applies to the Army and its soldiers not the police force.

Of course theres a subjectivity to probable cause thats going to lean toward the officers interpretation.

Chokwan Chopaka of Thai Legal Firm said although random searches are nothing new, their office has had a surge of inquiries from people whove experienced such incidents, which seem to be happening during the daytime and mostly targeting men.

If theyre going to search, first have them show their hands to make sure theyre empty, she said.

Foreigners should at least carry a photocopy of their passport. Not just the front page, but also the visa page, she said, adding that photos on your smartphone are likely to be rejected.

In case police detain you or take you into the station, insist on calling your attorney even if you dont have one. You can also insist they contact your embassy.

Dont sign anything and tell them you want to call your lawyer, she said. At a minimum, call a friend and get them involved preferably Thai.

And no matter how righteously wronged one may feel, theres nothing to be gained by showing anger. Stay polite and dont raise your voice.

This is what the police at soi 9 in Pattaya told my friend who lives there, shortly after the coup, when they were conducting late night raids on a few of the clubs...

copy good/ok, picture in phone not ok.

should be pretty easy to print out a copy off your phone at the police station if they have a working printer :)

• 4 months later...

Who takes their passport into a night club, in Pattaya?!

I am willing to bet that at least one of the 'raiders' didn't have proper ID on him.

credit card size laminated copy always with me on 'nights out'

The ONLY reason they do this is for cash. If they gave a toss about national security they'd do it 24-7.

The natives in authority have no shame at all in fleecing foreigners. I just wish they'd be a backlash and the snowball affect would stop people coming back. They don't deserve to make money from tourism given their attitudes.

In BKK at the weekend we had to get out of 5 different taxis who wouldn't take us home with the meter on.

And again this proves that Pattaya is not a part of Thailand, they have their own laws there. Just like taxi's don't have a metre which is national law.

And where i come from a driverslicense is also an ID, i can also change money in BKK and use that as ID.

Making a copy of my passport/visa is fine but i have never seen a copyshop in BKK. Why are they not on Swampy airport?

Never seen a copyshop in BKK ?...which begs the question do you even live in Thailand then ?..and why should they provide this at swampy..?

Meanwhile there's a crap load of crime going on the beach from walking street to soi 9 police station. But they can't seem to find it or stop it. Let's go harass the tourists, might get a bit of dosh. Pathetic cops in this city.

• 1 month later...

13 pages dedicated to a discussion regarding your passport. A photocopy is the answer if some merciless cop says no good then change your tone and body language and be humble and a photocopy will prove more than sufficient. 

On 19/02/2016 at 9:58 PM, Thian said:

And again this proves that Pattaya is not a part of Thailand, they have their own laws there. Just like taxi's don't have a metre which is national law.

And where i come from a driverslicense is also an ID, i can also change money in BKK and use that as ID.

Making a copy of my passport/visa is fine but i have never seen a copyshop in BKK. Why are they not on Swampy airport?

You have never seen copy shops in Bangkok?  They're all over the place.  Got some done at a BTS station shop today for instance.

On 20/02/2016 at 8:51 AM, alfalfa19 said:

Your comment is asinine and ridiculous. With all the pickpockets running amok in Pattaya, you really think foreigners should carry their passport with them while out on the town in Pattaya? This was nothing but a money grab. "crackdown on transnational crime", myanus.

Which part of asking for ID from foreigners who could not provide any and then releasing them after they have produced their passports was "nothing but a money grab"?

On 20/02/2016 at 11:19 AM, yankee99 said:

Can you imagine ice.gov raiding disney world asking for foreigners to provide documentation of legal status.

No, but they didn't do it here either.

What I love is that just before reading this thread, I was reading another story in The Nation which said.

The PM said he believed that Thailand's well-known cuisine, beautiful destinations and renowned hospitality would still help attract a high number of visitors, the spokesman said.

Someone in Pattaya obviously did not get the memo.