Small car with manual transmission, what are the options?

kanook

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why on earth would anybody want a manual car in 2016.

The sooner they are completely off the market, the better.

The automatic transmissions are so good these days and many models now come out with semi manual, also a bonus.

Try the MG3 it is MAGIC !

Absolutely agree.

It's not good forum etiquette but here the "why" question must be allowed.

Especially driving in urban traffic (lots of stop and go) manual/clutch is a pain in the ...

As already written (post #8) I would anytime take the Mazda 2 with this top notch gear box.

I have a 2011 Mazda 2 with old fashioned 4 gear automatic but no complaints at all except sometimes going down from "D" to "S" for uphill or short distance overtaking.

P.S. Its 125 BHP, E85, and is faster then all the clonkin smelly SUV and Truck tings at only 550 K Bht, best value out there imo.coffee1.gif

Just quoting what Ace of Pop said, but ok. Whether it's 125 or 117, it's still better than the March (79 hp), Mirage (78 hp) or Mazda 2 (1.3) with apparently no manual available (93 hp).

If you are getting stuck behind a car at the traffic lights these days it generally means one of three things, 1) you are not long past puberty and believe that all your traffic light drive-offs must be approached as if starting a formula one race, 2) you drive a supercar, 3) you are behind a slow driver - plenty of those about of course.

Slow cars though?... slow to the point of not being able to keep up with normal driving speeds and to the point of holding up queues of traffic - they don't really exist. They used to when there were things like the 2CV and cars of that ilk on the road, but not now. I speak as someone who has driven most things up to the Teana and the Fortuner. And as said, i also speak as someone who has driven the Almera 70,000 kms. If that doesn't qualify me as knowing what i am talking about with the car, nothing will.

Fast acceleration its first reason for safety when overtaking.

Ps

I do not know why you say about Fortuner and Teana? Its low speed acceleration car( ofcouse if you talk about 3.5 Teana it another thinks)

If you could put up with a nearly new second hand car, say 3 years old , you could find a Yaris with manual transmission. Plenty on www.one2car.com .

Other than that the new restyled version of the Mirage looks a whole lot better than the older one but you might have to wait a while for delivery.

I definitely don't have a problem with a used car in my home country. My concerns here are the lack of depreciation, and whether the car was in an accident or maybe had the odometer rolled back.

If you finance it with Krungsri Auto you can get a warranty included in the loan on a used car, alternatively talk to AVP Insurance Brokers who manage the program.

The automatic transmissions are so good these days and many models now come out with semi manual, also a bonus.

Many authomat kill power in some engine in some model.

So some ots can be differents more than 1 sec in acceleration.

And ofcouse some automatic trasmission even better manual.

PS

You talking MG 3 magic? :)

Sorry but with what car you compare?

Or what car you try before?

I in my opinion MG 3 even from China car not better representative.

Chiap plastic.

Bad handeling.

Old trasmission.old engine.

Realy funny you say.

125ps/117hp

Buying anything but honda in low-tiered car is grounds for internement into an asylum id say

The city/jazz is miles ahead of its competition and on top, you don't get the same plastic toy feel that all the other brands have

+e85 extra power

e85 gives no more power.....less in fact.

why are people getting all excited by a little DELETED car anyway?

wow, 6 seconds to get to 40kph while floring it.. no wonder when people just accelerate normally it takes them 20-25 seconds to get to 40.

Where are you getting the 6 seconds from? The video starts before he accelerates away. It's more like 4 to 5 seconds, and that is the CVT model as well. The manual would be quicker.

Anyway, point is not that the Almera is a fast car - of course not, but it is certainly not slow to the point of holding up traffic. Nothing like it. The video would show that to you if you were interested in the truth. Clearly you are not.

But I know your sort and shouldn't have bothered responding in the first place. Waste of time.

If you are getting stuck behind a car at the traffic lights these days it generally means one of three things, 1) you are not long past puberty and believe that all your traffic light drive-offs must be approached as if starting a formula one race, 2) you drive a supercar, 3) you are behind a slow driver - plenty of those about of course.

Slow cars though?... slow to the point of not being able to keep up with normal driving speeds and to the point of holding up queues of traffic - they don't really exist. They used to when there were things like the 2CV and cars of that ilk on the road, but not now. I speak as someone who has driven most things up to the Teana and the Fortuner. And as said, i also speak as someone who has driven the Almera 70,000 kms. If that doesn't qualify me as knowing what i am talking about with the car, nothing will.

Ps

I do not know why you say about Fortuner and Teana? Its low speed acceleration car( ofcouse if you talk about 3.5 Teana it another thinks)

What does that have to do with what i was saying?

What i said was that i have driven most things up to Teana and Fortuner. Point not being that Teana and Fortuner are fast, but simply that i have some point of reference in my comments about the Almera.

@OP: why specifically do you want MT?

If it's just for the nostalgia of using a clutch, there are several cars to choose from, but in all cases they are base-spec models so you're making a compromise on features/finish/safety.

If it's performance you're after, not just a clutch, maybe take a look at the Nissan Sylphy/Pulsar turbo models, or wait until next month for the Focus Ecoboost turbo/Civic RS turbo.

Because an automatic has a power sapping torque converter which is especially noticeable on a smaller engine causing the car to continually "hunt" between gears. It also cannot drive with any anticipation,changing up just before you are about to slow,or down just before you are about to ease off the throttle. The "semi manual " as you call it,is nothing more than paddles (usually) instructing the gearbox to make a single change,but it isn't proper control. What is better than both a manual or an automatic is a double clutch gearbox which is an automated manual over which you have complete control and no clutch pedal,but only available on higher end vehicles.

That yo think the truly awful( in design technology and finish) Chinese made MG is magic is testament to your motoring knowledge

People who like to drive - that is who. People who want to sit back and turn the steering wheel buy autos

Really? I have a V6 Toyota car and I love to be able to drive quickly with one foot on or near the brake pedal and the other working the accelerator. I reckon I can drive quicker around the roads than a manual!

But, then again, I do have some other attributes when it comes to driving. coffee1.gif

I hate automatic cars ,having had two as company cars ,I am afraid you can put them where the sun don't shine,still Americans and women seem to like them

Ps I have nothing against Americans and women, lol

Thai daughter has had a manual Mirage, which had a number of options fitted at purchase, alloys, sideskirts and roof spoiler, since just after the scheme started. Certainly a nippy little motor and no problems or warranty claims. She uses it every day for work and is involved in sales so the mileage is quite high. We looked at the alternatives but none were as good.

I bought a "SonicLT" nearly 4 years ago and have never regretted the decision. Manual transmission works really well, although with 4 up and the A/c going flat chat you have to work 3rd and 2nd gear on some hills! With the A/c off and just with two people it goes like a little rocket, as good as some V8's I've owned!

It was a slug when I first bought it, ate petrol and had firm thoughts of setting it on fire for the insurance! Chev came out with a new chip and WOW! what a difference! THB 600,000 is a good deal! biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

600,000 baht a good deal! The basic Mirage with alloys, sideskirts and roof spoiler cost 453,000 just after the government scheme started which was a good deal.

Fiesta 4 door has a manual, Suzuki Swift has a couple of manual options.

I wouldn't touch any of the other small cars here with a barge pole, manual or not.

Why? What are your unstated reasons?
Because I think the others aren't very good, especially the Almera, March and Mirage. The City/Jazz is good but guzzly and Dullotas are dull with dreadful interiors and crashy rides.

Just buy a jazz Gk manual and slap a 70K baht turbo on it...biggrin.png

555 smile.png

I don't think I've ever seen a car so overwhelmed by the power the engine makes tongue.png

I think the poor 195's were taking a pounding. It doesn't look like a sustainable amount of power either. Something would break in short time. There is another video of one with 300hp running 12's at the track. That's nuts.

Archived