Chiang Mai: 100 armed police arrest foreigners for not carrying passports

rooster59

IIf your headed out on the piss especially an all nighter then take you're passport, make sure your pants have at least a button down flap over the back pocket, or use a money belt, do they make passport belts? something slim that wouldn't even be noticeable under your shirt

Absolutely not.

I prefer to go somewhere where they don't pull ridiculous, pointless stunts like this.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand the fuss. If the police enforce existing laws be they related to traffic, real estate, business, visa's or whatever, surely that's nothing to get upset about - perhaps better to have got upset that they weren't enforcing those laws in the first place.

It depends on the laws - throughout history police and army have been used by their masters to enforce bad laws from witch burning to killing dissidents or on a more common current level - arresting recreational drug users - military government can never occupy the moral high ground so their actions will always be treated with suspicion.

IIf your headed out on the piss especially an all nighter then take you're passport, make sure your pants have at least a button down flap over the back pocket, or use a money belt, do they make passport belts? something slim that wouldn't even be noticeable under your shirt

Absolutely not.

I prefer to go somewhere where they don't pull ridiculous, pointless stunts like this.

So, go then, No one is stopping from going to find a country where the Police dont check bars for patrons I.D

It depends on the laws - - arresting recreational drug users -

YES, drugs are illegal and its the Polices job to arrest people who take drugs and thus break the law!!!!!!!

The law is our slave not our master. The fashion for drug bashing is new, inspired by the USA and now fading out. The police should have more sense - in all countries. Those that don't are cynical, immoral and corrupt. The war on drugs is a war on the people. Not all laws are good such as those laws that forbade women or black people to vote. Thus enforcing those laws are wrong. History is littered with bad laws usually designed to suppress freedom of thought. Police and governments who pursue such las are not doing society, individuals or their communities any favours.

It depends on the laws - - arresting recreational drug users -

YES, drugs are illegal and its the Polices job to arrest people who take drugs and thus break the law!!!!!!!

The law is our slave not our master. The fashion for drug bashing is new, inspired by the USA and now fading out. The police should have more sense - in all countries. Those that don't are cynical, immoral and corrupt. The war on drugs is a war on the people. Not all laws are good such as those laws that forbade women or black people to vote. Thus enforcing those laws are wrong. History is littered with bad laws usually designed to suppress freedom of thought. Police and governments who pursue such las are not doing society, individuals or their communities any favours.

Drugs cause people to act weird and it distorts their sense of reality .

It numbs their brain and they just keep waffleing on about how they arent allowed to take drugs, even though they regularly indulge in drug taking .

Nearly all regular drug users are weird and sslllllloooowwwww and just.like keep y know waffling on about drugs

I don't understand the fuss. If the police enforce existing laws be they related to traffic, real estate, business, visa's or whatever, surely that's nothing to get upset about - perhaps better to have got upset that they weren't enforcing those laws in the first place.

It depends on the laws - throughout history police and army have been used by their masters to enforce bad laws from witch burning to killing dissidents or on a more common current level - arresting recreational drug users - military government can never occupy the moral high ground so their actions will always be treated with suspicion.

Codswallop, they're enforcing the laws of the land, doing the job they are paid to do, protecting the people and the country, end of.

The issue is Thailand has a collection of ridiculous, ill defined, arbitrary, and subjective laws.. Ones which in a sensible society which followed rules, would be legally challenged and defined.

But Thailand doesnt like tight clear laws, applying to all, in a transparent system of governance.. as they like a system of patronage, whereby laws are only applying to some people, and the vague ways they are written as catch alls can be used when it suits and ignored when it cant (look at the debate on if its even a law to have a passport.. Look at the legal definition of work for work permits.. Look at any one of 100s of ill defined 'laws'). Laws which apply to you or I importing a mercedes dont apply to the Supreme Patriach !!

So the issue is, if you want to transition to a decent system or correct and legal enforcement, then those laws which are to be enforced must be properly defined, clearly written, and applied equally through the entire country. You cant have say one city closing 'legally' at midnight, while another runs till dawn.

That transition, should be performed by elected governments, otherwise they are making these system of laws without a mandate from the people to say that is what the population wants. Dictatorship often runs counter to the desires of the majority.

Codswallop, they're enforcing the laws of the land, doing the job they are paid to do, protecting the people and the country, end of.

If its about applying the law, why is it every bar is open after midnight in Pattaya or Phuket ??

Otherwise your defending arbitrary enforcement of 'the laws of the land' its one law for all no ??

A few years a go Thailand was a free for all anything goes , do anything you like and all but the serious laws were ignored by everyone , pay offs to Police and corruption everywhere which was partly due to successive ineffectual Governments .

Russians and Chinese began taking over tourist areas , buying up businesses.

The Military took over and decided to clean Thailand up .

Clamping down on Visas , corruption and the general lawlessness .

Yes, there is a pattern, Thailand is going from a lawless land to a land with some sort of Governance .

'Some sort of Governance' meaning only the elites are allowed to break the law and skim off everything..

Please dont spout the ridiculous propoganda that Dear Leader isnt there for anything other than keeping the right noses in the trough.

Absolutely not.

So, go then, No one is stopping from going to find a country where the Police dont check bars for patrons I.D

As stated, I've already done so, diverting around $20K of business to Pnomh Penh instead of Thailand.

A drop in the ocean perhaps, but I'm sure Thais would have preferred I'd spent it there instead.

I hope others who have read about this nonsense take a look at alternatives, also.

It really wasn't very difficult to switch.

"Protecting the people"? Next thing you'll be telling us is that they are "returning happiness" to them.

cheesy.gif

A few years a go Thailand was a free for all anything goes , do anything you like and all but the serious laws were ignored by everyone , pay offs to Police and corruption everywhere which was partly due to successive ineffectual Governments .

Russians and Chinese began taking over tourist areas , buying up businesses.

The Military took over and decided to clean Thailand up .

Clamping down on Visas , corruption and the general lawlessness .

Yes, there is a pattern, Thailand is going from a lawless land to a land with some sort of Governance .

'Some sort of Governance' meaning only the elites are allowed to break the law and skim off everything..

Please dont spout the ridiculous propoganda that Dear Leader isnt there for anything other than keeping the right noses in the trough.

There has been a clampdown on corrupt practices .

Police officers taking bribes have been removed from their job and other people carrying out corrupt practices have been arrested

If its about applying the law, why is it every bar is open after midnight in Pattaya or Phuket ??

Otherwise your defending arbitrary enforcement of 'the laws of the land' its one law for all no ??

Yes, they should close all the bars in Pattaya and Phuckett and midnight as well .

No bars in Thailand should be allowed to stay open after midnight .

Yes, they should close all the bars in Pattaya and Phuckett and midnight as well .

Great.. So when that happens, we will see fair enforcement..

And when it crashes the tourism market, in turn doing even more damage to the economy than has already happened.. Maybe Thai people will get a chance to vote if thats what they actually want, rather than what a dictator says is a good idea.

And when it crashes the tourism market, in turn doing even more damage to the economy than has already happened.. Maybe Thai people will get a chance to vote if thats what they actually want, rather than what a dictator says is a good idea.

Thailand seems to be wanting to attract family holiday makers, rather than the single guys who want to spend all night drinking , The two week holiday makers who stay in expensive hotels, rather than the six monthers who spend all their money in sleazy bars until sunrise and embarrassing all the respectable holidays makers when walking around with their girlfriend who they met in the bar last night

I hope this makes the international press, as it will be another nail in Thailand's tourist coffin. Assault rifles to check for passports? W.T.F.?

<deleted>. is an absurd unless they got a tip off they was terrorist in the premises...but still i don't believe it was so carry Assault rifles to check passports need to go viral i think

W.T.F. is an absurd unless they got a tip off they was terrorist in the premises...but still i don't believe it was so carry Assault rifles to check passports need to go viral i think

The Police being armed is really NO big deal .

If they starting firing, it would be a news story .

They didnt shoot, so its a non story

Thailand seems to be wanting to attract family holiday makers, rather than the single guys who want to spend all night drinking , The two week holiday makers who stay in expensive hotels, rather than the six monthers who spend all their money in sleazy bars until sunrise and embarrassing all the respectable holidays makers when walking around with their girlfriend who they met in the bar last night

So what is wrong with that???? At least they are putting money into circulation, not like some that stay cooped up all hours making 10 - 12 inane posts on a forum, all day.... Look out the window, its a great world out there.... visit it and be happy

Spending all night drinking? Rubbish. Chiangmai is basically shutdown/on lock- in after midnight. I would have said maybe it is a good idea to carry passports when a VIP is in town but appears not related as reports about RCA and Patts looks like it was a Nationwide show of force.

By the way I know of a situation recently where BiB just happened to stop at a place for their nut (don't know if it is monthly or weekly) and they asked the lone Euro guy for passport. He had it. Japanese were not troubled.

A significant part of the problem is that many people here in Thailand, expats and locals alike, have seen so little of any laws at all being forced for so long, they automatically push back when some of them are enforced. It doesn't matter that the statutes on the books are complete, coherent and all interlinked or not, they're the laws of the land, obey them, leave or lose your freedom but for goodness sake, no more of this, "passports demanded at gunpoint" rubbish.

o what is wrong with that???? At least they are putting money into circulation, not like some that stay cooped up all hours making 10 - 12 inane posts on a forum, all day.... Look out the window, its a great world out there.... visit it and be happy

Go outside !!!!!! You gotta be joking

I am in Chiang mai and theres the army on the streets with rocket launchers firing at people who dont show them their ID .

Its a warzone out there and Im staying indoors

Absolutely not.

As stated, I've already done so, diverting around $20K of business to Pnomh Penh instead of Thailand.

A drop in the ocean perhaps, but I'm sure Thais would have preferred I'd spent it there instead.

I hope others who have read about this nonsense take a look at alternatives, also.

It really wasn't very difficult to switch.

I also strongly urge those that are highly offended by the recent crackdown of 200 people out of 30million to go to Phnom Penh if only to experience what a real third world shit hole slum it is. Your going to think Bangkok is New York after spending the longest 2 weeks of your life there. [emoji1]

If being around hotties in the best go go bars on the planet is your thing then get ready to be....

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Post removed for two reasons:

1. Using a term inappropriate regarding the military junta is not allowed - "Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed."

2. Link to Bangkok Post

I also strongly urge those that are highly offended by the recent crackdown of 200 people out of 30million to go to Phnom Penh if only to experience what a real third world shit hole slum it is. Your going to think Bangkok is New York after spending the longest 2 weeks of your life there. [emoji1]

If being around hotties in the best go go bars on the planet is your thing then get ready to be....

Actually it's great city populated by people who seem genuinely pleased that tourists want to visit, plenty of history, golf courses, decent hotels, a variety of cuisine, ample bars with women if that's your thing, and more importantly you aren't likely to get corralled by a bunch of jackbooted, armed chimps telling you that you're under arrest for not taking your passport out with you on the piss.

Plus casinos. No childish "you can't gamble you're not grown up enough" crap.

I daresay you could even get a game of bridge without being locked up for the night and having your ATM card emptied.

*Phtoeey*

coffee1.gif

Actually it's great city populated by people who seem genuinely pleased that tourists want to visit, plenty of history, golf courses, decent hotels, a variety of cuisine, ample bars with women if that's your thing, and more importantly you aren't likely to get corralled by a bunch of jackbooted, armed chimps telling you that you're under arrest for not taking your passport out with you on the piss.

I daresay you could even get a game of bridge without being locked up for the night and having your ATM card emptied.

*Phtoeey*

coffee1.gif

So, why dont you go and live there full time ?

You dont like Thailand, Thailand doesnt like you .

About time you filled for divorce

I also strongly urge those that are highly offended by the recent crackdown of 200 people out of 30million to go to Phnom Penh if only to experience what a real third world shit hole slum it is. Your going to think Bangkok is New York after spending the longest 2 weeks of your life there. [emoji1]If being around hotties in the best go go bars on the planet is your thing then get ready to be....

*Phtoeey*

coffee1.gif

Your clutching at straws trying to justify but it's just silly. No body goes to thailand to gamble and Cambodia has dark dingy casinos, go to Macau for that stuff. Who cares about a handful of bridge players. Ample girly bars? I can count them on 2 hands.

End of the day it would suit you as a golfer since most of the time your walking around a big Park. Could be anywhere wouldn't matter

This and the similar raids in Pattaya lately arresting people for not carrying passports....

The military government just deciding to flex its muscles, or, a response to the reports of some kind of IS terrorist threat inside Thailand?

Yeah, those nightclub loving fundamentalist terrorist fanatics. Wonder how they handle a gay man neck massage in the bog. Just the place to find them lurking around the night before a good bit of suicide bombing.

try to write in english that is understandable to the rest of us "english" speakers! what the hell is a bog?

It's a karzi!

thought it was a piss house.

*Phtoeey*

coffee1.gif

While all this is true in a way it just aint fun for any length of time. Not sanuk.

*Phtoeey*

coffee1.gif

While all this is true in a way it just aint fun for any length of time. Not sanuk.

And neither will Chiang Mai be the way it is going.

Miserable nightlife.

Overwhelmed by traffic.

Swamped by Chinese tourists.

Infested with tourist-scamming Thais.

Polluted with clouds of lung burning smoke.

And if you do venture out, you could get locked up for nothing.

Where's the Sanuk in that?

As someone who's been visiting Chiang Mai 2-3 times a year since the 90's, I have to say it is a city in decline under the current administration, and other tourists spots are similarly tired and overexploited.

Plenty of other places to visit until (and if) it gets its house in order.

Archived