I am looking or 4x8' sheets of styrofoam, 1" or thicker in CM

kurtgruen

Hi guys,

I am looking for 240 Sheets of 4'x8', one inch thick styrofoam sheets, in Chiang Mai. Any suggestions where to find that quantity and where to buy them cheap? In metric, that would be 1.2 meters by 2.4 meter sheets, 2.5cm thick, I think.

I already know it's flammable, but not a concern for the high drop ceiling I am building, for a tiled shop. I am just looking for a cheap, lightweight option.

Thanks

Kurt

Makro on the Superhighway has large sheets of styrofoam, about 1 inch thick, about 8ft long maybe 2.5 ft wide, not expensive comes in a pack of 6 or 8.

Walk in the front door, walk straight ahead, look on the shelves on the left side after the electrical appliances, it's there somewhere.

You can go for thermaline wallboard from Gyproc with better thermic properties than styrofoam.

They are available in 1200mm x 2400mm

With thicknesses of 55, 44 and 29mm.

http://www.gyproc.co.th/en/gyproc-thermaline/

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1455959034.116184.jpg

Good thinking. Styrofoam is banned in housing in Western countries because it sure is flammable.

You can go for thermaline wallboard from Gyproc with better thermic properties than styrofoam.

Good thinking. Styrofoam is banned in housing in Western countries because it sure is flammable.

I am not sure that is true is it?

the banning of styrofoam was in the guise of food takeaway cartons and was banned because it was not biodegradable and ended up being strewn around as litter for ever, then being eaten by animals to their detriment. (my understanding of it)

Every flammable material is regulated as to where it can be used on housing. wood for example is not allowed on the side of a building if its within 1.5m of a boundary. but wood isnt banned.

Styrofoam, under many trade names is still used as a cavity wall insulation, it is safe there and has no chance of burning whereas the original cavity insulation urea formaldyhide was thought to emit a gas into the household....and this was banned.

polystyrene, same thing, remember those ceiling tiles we all had on out ceilings in the 70s do miss them, haha. well highly flammable and emit toxious fumes and the rapid spread of flame was lethal.

well they are not banned, they are still sold to anyone that still wants them but rather than banning them, fashion and taste has disctated that not many people buy them anymore.

Styrofoam was once marketed in some countries as insulating ceiling tiles. However, after a couple of kitchens exploded in flames following small kitchen fires, it was soon realised that the styrofoam tiles burned as well as gasoline.

The UK Fire Service made a training video showing how rapidly these spread fires. I am amazed that these are on sale anywhere.

There were some incredibly stupid things done with this material, and in some houses 150mm (6 inches) thick slabs of styrofoam were used as roof cavity insulation. I know of one instance where children playing with matches, set fire to curtains, which somehow lit the styrofoam and the whole house erupted in flames. Luckily the kids were rescued.

The same material was even used in BOT life jackets, and when sailors jumped off a sinking ship, the fuel oil in the water dissolved the life jacket fillings.

Keep this material out of your house!

I was looking for the same thing but for a different use.

I only found 60cm x 120cm.

from the NE corner of the moat, head towards the superhiway.

At the second traffic light, look diagonaly to your right across the junction.

You will see the entrance to a small warehouse full of styrofoam sheets of various thickness.

I am not sure that is true is it?

the banning of styrofoam was in the guise of food takeaway cartons and was banned because it was not biodegradable and ended up being strewn around as litter for ever, then being eaten by animals to their detriment. (my understanding of it)

Every flammable material is regulated as to where it can be used on housing. wood for example is not allowed on the side of a building if its within 1.5m of a boundary. but wood isnt banned.

Styrofoam, under many trade names is still used as a cavity wall insulation, it is safe there and has no chance of burning whereas the original cavity insulation urea formaldyhide was thought to emit a gas into the household....and this was banned.

polystyrene, same thing, remember those ceiling tiles we all had on out ceilings in the 70s do miss them, haha. well highly flammable and emit toxious fumes and the rapid spread of flame was lethal.

well they are not banned, they are still sold to anyone that still wants them but rather than banning them, fashion and taste has disctated that not many people buy them anymore.

It's not advised to use styrofoam as primary insulator.

Burn injuries are more aggressive and time frame for evacuation or rescue is limited due to the fast burnout and toxic fumes.

Moreover water spray won't extinguish the fire. It is forbidden to use water which otherwise would create styrene fumes. Only powder (for small fires) and foam (for large fires) fire extinguishers may be used.

Firefighters need full face mask with air tank...to intervene...

Insurance company will be merciless will all the above.

It appears that the genuine product isn't more dangerous than wood. From: http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0933/0901b80380933bcb.pdf?filepath=productsafety/pdfs/noreg/233-00314.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Product Safety Assessment: STYROFOAM™ Brand Insulation Products in North America

Fire / Explosion Considerations STYROFOAM™ Brand insulation products contain a flame retardant to inhibit accidental ignition from small fire sources; however, they are combustible and should be protected from flames and other high-heat sources. • During a fire, dense smoke is produced. The smoke may contain the original material in addition to combustion products of varying composition which may be toxic and/or irritating. • Based on combustion toxicity testing, the products of combustion from this foam are not more acutely toxic than the products of combustion from common building materials such as wood.

Quote from link :

"STYROFOAM[emoji769] Brand products contain a flame-retardant additive to inhibit accidental ignition from a small fire source, but they are combustible and, if exposed to an intense fire, may burn rapidly.

In most countries, fire classifications are based on small-scale tests, which may not reflect the reaction of the material under actual fire conditions.

Polystyrene products will melt when brought into direct contact with high temperature heat sources. For STYROFOAM[emoji769] Brand Insulation from Dow, the recommended maximum continuous operation temperature is 75°C. Do not expose the boards to flame or other ignition sources."

http://building.dow.com/ap/en/tech/description.htm

Note : they're no fire retardant additives, they've added a dehydrogenation process which makes it less combustible, but still high flammable with toxic fumes of mainly styrene, ethylene and benzene.

I still prefer genuine wood pellets...which aren't on the periodic table...

Quote from link :

"STYROFOAM[emoji769] Brand products contain a flame-retardant additive to inhibit accidental ignition from a small fire source, but they are combustible and, if exposed to an intense fire, may burn rapidly.

In most countries, fire classifications are based on small-scale tests, which may not reflect the reaction of the material under actual fire conditions.

Polystyrene products will melt when brought into direct contact with high temperature heat sources. For STYROFOAM[emoji769] Brand Insulation from Dow, the recommended maximum continuous operation temperature is 75°C. Do not expose the boards to flame or other ignition sources."

http://building.dow.com/ap/en/tech/description.htm

Note : they're no fire retardant additives, they've added a dehydrogenation process which makes it less combustible, but still high flammable with toxic fumes of mainly styrene, ethylene and benzene.

I still prefer genuine wood pellets...which aren't on the periodic table...

I can assure you that the components of wood and its products of combustion are also on the periodic table.

The OP says he's aware it's flammable. Also he didn't say anything about his project being in a condo.

Wood is flammable and made up of chemical elements which apparently other posters aren't aware of. That was the misconception I was correcting. Also, the misconception that there all "styrofoam" is the same -- the products intended for use in residential insulation are different than the products intended for other applications.

Geesh, the ignorance of some people is amazing. Apparently, people slept thru Introduction to Chemistry class and don't know how to use Google.

It appears that the genuine product isn't more dangerous than wood. From: http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0933/0901b80380933bcb.pdf?filepath=productsafety/pdfs/noreg/233-00314.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Product Safety Assessment: STYROFOAM™ Brand Insulation Products in North America

Fire / Explosion Considerations STYROFOAM™ Brand insulation products contain a flame retardant to inhibit accidental ignition from small fire sources; however, they are combustible and should be protected from flames and other high-heat sources. • During a fire, dense smoke is produced. The smoke may contain the original material in addition to combustion products of varying composition which may be toxic and/or irritating. • Based on combustion toxicity testing, the products of combustion from this foam are not more acutely toxic than the products of combustion from common building materials such as wood.

On the subject of how well household contents will burn, this is worth a look at:

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4046289.htm

The OP says he's aware it's flammable. Also he didn't say anything about his project being in a condo.

Wood is flammable and made up of chemical elements which apparently other posters aren't aware of. That was the misconception I was correcting. Also, the misconception that there all "styrofoam" is the same -- the products intended for use in residential insulation are different than the products intended for other applications.

Geesh, the ignorance of some people is amazing. Apparently, people slept thru Introduction to Chemistry class and don't know how to use Google.

Dear Nancy,

Flammable properties of wood and EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) need to be compared through calorimetry.

Calorimetric value of EPS is 42 MJ/kg and is more or less double of wood with 18.6 MJ/kg.

But the volumetric mass for the same calometric value is measured for EPS between 540 MJ/m3 to 1250 MJ/m3 whereas wood is measured between 7150 MJ/m3 to 10400 MJ/m3.

Heat formation of burning EPS is almost 3 times higher than wood, and burning time is much shorter. Whatever the fire test standard you gonna use, the results won't change.

Cheers !

Dear Nancy,

Flammable properties of wood and EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) need to be compared through calorimetry.

Calorimetric value of EPS is 42 MJ/kg and is more or less double of wood with 18.6 MJ/kg.

But the volumetric mass for the same calometric value is measured for EPS between 540 MJ/m3 to 1250 MJ/m3 whereas wood is measured between 7150 MJ/m3 to 10400 MJ/m3.

Heat formation of burning EPS is almost 3 times higher than wood, and burning time is much shorter. Whatever the fire test standard you gonna use, the results won't change.

Cheers !

Once again, someone who can't use Google. STYROFOAM™ Brand Insulation Product is not expanded polystyrene. It's extruded polystyrene foam board containing a halogenated flame retardant system.

You can't use data for the polystyrene intended for, say, food packaging and say that it applies for residential insulation.

Here's a home test that someone did to check out the flame retardant properties of expanded polystyrene (white foam) sheet, and the blue and pink extruded polystyrene foam board intended for use as residential home insulation. The white board burned like wadded up newspaper, the pink and blue board didn't.

http://www.scaletree.com/foamsafety.html

Archived