Italian expat and Thai wife found dead in apparent murder suicide in Chiang Mai

Jonathan Fairfield

There is no excuse to kill other people and himself, the italian guy is in the wrong and the thai wife should never have brought a gun out as well. Feel so sorry for the kid.

Yes. Lots of very bad decisions by both leading up to this.

Feels very strange, I considered both of them friends and basically good people (with their individual quirks, hot-headed stubbornness and extensive personal user manuals and all, but still) Angry and sad at the same time. People had been telling her not to mess with guns and an overly mercenary attitude. People had been telling him to not dwell on the past but come to a reasonable divorce solution.

And then they throw it all away, leaving the biggest mess imaginable to their son, who they both loved dearly.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never ever <deleted> around with Italians when it involves their children.They are so family orientated,for which, I can only applaud them.

Extremely sad incident for all involved,but especially for the young now orphaned boy.

Could have easily been avoided until the wife brought a gun into play.

Very upsetting.RIP.

OMG, in Thailand people are allowed to carry like that guns? please advise me is this true or not?

many do. i was absolutely shocked a number of years ago while visiting friends in Bangkok who are quite conservative normal, upper middle-class people with adult children. we took a drive 90 minutes or so out of Bangkok and after a number of telephone calls we pulled over on the side of the road and a woman got in the car. my friend's wife reached in her purse and pulled out some large, bank-bound stacks of cash and handed it to the woman and had her sign some papers. i could not help but notice a handgun in her purse similar to the one in the photo in this thread. when we returned to their home i asked my friend why his wife carries a piece. he told me that every month his wife pays more than 70 Cambodian factory workers who make clothes for her and they all know what day she comes, and that is one reason why her foreman meets her somewhere different each time. the gun - in case someone follows the foreman - "you never know".

also practically every gold shop owner and their spouse all carry a gun. fairly common here.

so you are saying that it is legal to own and carry a gun and weapons in Thailand? but how military government allowed that?

Sad, utterly sad. I feel so much for the boy... Hope he will be surrounded by love and by people able to educate him properly.

Some comment here so nasty, No matter how good users they are in life, but putting nasty comments on such a delicate matter, sure disqualifies them, at least in my eyes.

And some other comment by someone who knows-it-all sounds so silly. Would see him at place of the guy in the story, on the edge of a snap, being pointed a gun against (and possibly being shoot too).

RIP poor souls.

Feel so sorry for the boy. Out of sudden he's an orphan. Somehow I feel sad for the Italian expat. I could be wrong but couldn't help thinking he married the wrong woman.

Hes just killed his Wife and left his Son parentless
The Wife took out the gun first. He wrestled the gun over from her. Man must have been forced to an extremely narrow corner that made him snapped.

H e was stood there with a gun and a defenseless Woman .
He was in no corner , he could have walked away, he choose not to .
He probably killed her out of anger, realised what he'd done , then killed himself

did you READ THE STORY that SHE got a gun from her CAR and went in to kill him? defenseless woman?

Who pulled the trigger?

Looks like a very nice, upscale neighborhood. What an utter waste.

The lesson here is..Choose your Thai women VERY carefully, and avoid personality disorders like the plague..

If they're yours, address them, if they're theirs, run in the opposite direction as fast as your Forest Gump-like legs can take you..

Too late in this case. Bloody Sad.

choose your thai woman very carefully?

why woudnt i be careful with ANY woman i chose to spend my life with, thai or otherwise?

The Camry came down quite fast on Canal Rd., I was just behind it. I assume that is the wives car where the gun was supposedly inside. Not sure who was driving and if possibly a boyfriend was in the car too. But that appeared a bit confrontational and rushed from the beginning, the heat was on before they knew the boy was not at home....

But that's just my observation. Police took the car away later.

Feel really sorry for the boy. I hope his father has familiemembers, that can take good care of him. Because I fear his mother's family will not have the resources and I doubt the mothers boyfriend will care.

Although the father was wrong by pulling the trigger, I kind of understand him. Maybe because I have seen how some Thai-women can drive their partners totally mad. (Especially when children and/or money is involved)

Thai-TV Dramas should be banned and so should guns.

OMG, in Thailand people are allowed to carry like that guns? please advise me is this true or not?

many do. i was absolutely shocked a number of years ago while visiting friends in Bangkok who are quite conservative normal, upper middle-class people with adult children. we took a drive 90 minutes or so out of Bangkok and after a number of telephone calls we pulled over on the side of the road and a woman got in the car. my friend's wife reached in her purse and pulled out some large, bank-bound stacks of cash and handed it to the woman and had her sign some papers. i could not help but notice a handgun in her purse similar to the one in the photo in this thread. when we returned to their home i asked my friend why his wife carries a piece. he told me that every month his wife pays more than 70 Cambodian factory workers who make clothes for her and they all know what day she comes, and that is one reason why her foreman meets her somewhere different each time. the gun - in case someone follows the foreman - "you never know".

also practically every gold shop owner and their spouse all carry a gun. fairly common here.

so you are saying that it is legal to own and carry a gun and weapons in Thailand? but how military government allowed that?

Yes it is legal. Thais need a permit to buy and carry a gun LEGALLY. There are guns all around you in Thailand. smile.png

How do you think people survive in a country where the police do nothing when called?

Feel so sorry for the boy. Out of sudden he's an orphan. Somehow I feel sad for the Italian expat. I could be wrong but couldn't help thinking he married the wrong woman.

Hes just killed his Wife and left his Son parentless

The Wife took out the gun first. He wrestled the gun over from her. Man must have been forced to an extremely narrow corner that made him snapped.

He probably killed her out of anger, realised what he'd done , then killed himself

did you READ THE STORY that SHE got a gun from her CAR and went in to kill him? defenseless woman?

He then took the gun off from her , which then made her defenseless.

seems you're so biased you don't want to understand

Just prior to the shooting she was defenseless.

Those are facts, nothing biased about it

US and any other pro- gun lobby nutters take note; This tragedy would not have happened; could not have happened if the gun was not available. And the poor boy, only 8 years old, would still have parents.

Tragic for the boy who will probably be scarred for life.

I guess you were there.

(I talked to the people who were right there when it happened and even they aren't 100 percent sure how it unfolded to the level you speculate on, due to taking cover when bullets started flying.)

The end result though is clear and extremely sad.

Obviously I'm not going to get into demeaning myself by claiming to know what happened, but here's my question: will the child get the house now and how will that all work? How does it work here. I think I'm right in understanding that if the mother's Thai, the boy will be considered a Thai as well. What happens with these things? Will the court appoint a guardian or doe the responsibility for raising the boy just become an issue if no one automatically takes him in---or moves in with him into the nice big house, then vandalise it beyond recognition by the end of the week?

Who will get the Italian's possessions? I'm interested to know how this works. At least the little man will know to be careful around the frequently more dangerous whilt mental women who live here. I do hope he's got an EU passport. If that hasn't all been formalized, anyone who knows him should take it upon themselves to see that this is put through. It's not a big thing to help with but it's a massive thing for the boy, and a lot of people put it off.

Yes it is legal. Thais need a permit to buy and carry a gun LEGALLY. There are guns all around you in Thailand. smile.png

How do you think people survive in a country where the police do nothing when called?

A bit over the top. Just about everybody in Thailand can survive quite easily without a gun and the Police might not be the best in the world but they do function and will come when called or when some crime occurs. The main reason people have guns in Thailand is personal protection. The people who own them legally are normally business owners and have a bit of wealth. They may be worried about burglars and robbers targeting them or as mentioned earlier delivering the payroll to Cambodian workers etc.

These legit guns may well end up being carried by the youth in family. Think teenage brat waving the gun about after some traffic incident or or taking it out during an argument in bar. It was mentioned that the deceased mother was dating a police officer. She may have well got the gun via him. There is a huge amount of tax on guns in Thailand so to own one legit you need to be above average wealthy. A big status symbol to the mentally weak and easily flashed about to impress or intimidate. Often Turns tragic as happened yesterday.

RIP

Think there is a lot more to the story...... but not our business..... it is sad....

BUT

"An argument ensued and the woman went back to Toyota Camry car to collect a gun she is believed to have kept in the vehicle."

Yeah, we all have one right next to the tissues.... bah.gif

Too much daytime Thai TV, soap operas...... they are all about this, have argument, get gun, shoot.....

wai2.gif

I guess you were there.

(I talked to the people who were right there when it happened and even they aren't 100 percent sure how it unfolded to the level you speculate on, due to taking cover when bullets started flying.)

Some members just positively wallow in the satisfaction they get plaguing the rest of us with their deductive skills so that they can then sit in judgment. A decent person is full of sympathy for the child. If there's anything to speculate about, it's this violently orphaned child's future. 'Hope he finds a loving home, and soon.

A bit over the top. Just about everybody in Thailand can survive quite easily without a gun and the Police might not be the best in the world but they do function and will come when called or when some crime occurs.

About 40% of the Thai men I know walk around with a loaded gun in their 'hand/belly bag' 24/7.

Reality is different to your expectations.

A bit over the top. Just about everybody in Thailand can survive quite easily without a gun and the Police might not be the best in the world but they do function and will come when called or when some crime occurs. The main reason people have guns in Thailand is personal protection. The people who own them legally are normally business owners and have a bit of wealth. They may be worried about burglars and robbers targeting them or as mentioned earlier delivering the payroll to Cambodian workers etc.

These legit guns may well end up being carried by the youth in family. Think teenage brat waving the gun about after some traffic incident or or taking it out during an argument in bar. It was mentioned that the deceased mother was dating a police officer. She may have well got the gun via him. There is a huge amount of tax on guns in Thailand so to own one legit you need to be above average wealthy. A big status symbol to the mentally weak and easily flashed about to impress or intimidate. Often Turns tragic as happened yesterday.

you have some good points, but please consider this.

"Police might not be the best in the world but they do function and will come when called or when some crime occurs."

Police the world over rarely prevent crime. They show up after the fact. And in Thailand the response time is terrible. The press only reports these horrible shooting stories, but when someone successfully defends their home with a gun, the "crime" does not occur, and it is rarely reported.

"Three men broke into my house and I fired one shot in the air and they ran off" just does not generate to much interest in the press and does not fit into the anti gun ownership agenda that gun owners are "nutters", or at least "nutters" is the term being throw around TV in this thread.

Anyway I always try to respond with respect to my fellow TV members, and the gun thing is really a hot potato. smile.png Many people from different countries and different cultures on this forum.

Sorry for the boy and RIP to the parents.

One thing my father always told me,"never pull your gun until you know you are sure you need to are going to use it, otherwise it will be taken away from you and used against you". Just like this out of control woman who provided her husband with the means to kill her during the worst moment possible.

Although the father was wrong by pulling the trigger, I kind of understand him. Maybe because I have seen how some Thai-women can drive their partners totally mad. (Especially when children and/or money is involved)

I wonder if the understanding expressed by you and others is limited to foreigners killing Thai people or if it extends to Thai men killing their partner as well, as we occasionally read about (and where the sentiment seems very different than whats expressed in this thread).

I guess you were there.

Some members just positively wallow in the satisfaction they get plaguing the rest of us with their deductive skills so that they can then sit in judgment. A decent person is full of sympathy for the child. If there's anything to speculate about, it's this violently orphaned child's future. 'Hope he finds a loving home, and soon.

I was saying what was reported in the news report , it wasnt "speculation" at all

Looks like a very nice, upscale neighborhood. What an utter waste.

The lesson here is..Choose your Thai women VERY carefully, and avoid personality disorders like the plague..

If they're yours, address them, if they're theirs, run in the opposite direction as fast as your Forest Gump-like legs can take you..

Too late in this case. Bloody Sad.

Care to enlighten us on what nation has women that you can trust implicitly with out being very careful.?

Same goes for the men.

It's impossible for most of us to understand the level of hatred these 2 had for each other. Rational thinking deserted them both in the final moments but I wonder if he committed suicide because of depression and it just presented itself to him or it dawned on him a farang shooting a thai is unacceptable in any circumstances.

Probably if it was Italy he may have walked free under "crime of passion" defence

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Lucky the child wasn`t in the house at the time, otherwise the boy could have been killed as well. I have read many similar reports in the news that at most time these suicidal fathers will murder their own children.

Having been in a similar situation, I have every sympathy for the guy.

The woman abuses you by manipulating access to your children.

I doubt he was suicidal.

In the end you snap or walk away.

He snapped, I walked away.

Maybe I was wrong to walk away, and should have killed her ..............

I still miss my 4 children, been 7 years now.

I don't know how you do that. I am a peace loving guy, but there have been similar threats to me about my daughter lately. What happens in my mind is nobody's business. I would never take the violence option, but this kind of manipulation is pure evil. I've never called anybody evil in my life before either. Until now. It is so unnecessary, unless you've been a right bastard or something.

Archived