CMU, good institution for work, or ...?

LolaS

I would like to know if you have experience or some similar topic on this forum, about Chiang Mai university, teaching perspectives, or working ( postdoc, research, lectures etc )

How much they pay, they are open to foreigners? what is your opinion overall

If memory serves their website use to have a "positions available" section, but I'm not seeing that now (I just now went to the website.) This was maybe 8 years ago but at that time they needed a PhD (field: I do not recall) and the pay was 40,000 baht/month, as I recall. I may be wrong. It seemed awfully low to me.

And once again, I have to express amazement that someone, esp. someone who presumably has an advanced degree can't use Google properly. I can assure you that the top students at CMU know how to use Google.

I've studied the Thai language for about six years, with the last three years being in private lessons from graduates from masters degree programs of CMU. The emphasis of my studies was in reading and writing Thai and learning Thai culture. With each twice-weekly lesson, I had to write little essays about Thailand -- natural history, geography, the kings, geography, fruits and vegetables, etc. I soon learned that Google could help me do my homework.

The Thai version of Google isn't really very good. Often the articles, about subjects like "The Economy of Issan" were pretty crummy in Thai Wikipedia, but the English version of Wikipedia had better articles that I could run thru Bing translate and then massage into a reasonable essay to turn in for a homework assignment.

I soon learned that my teacher, who had a Masters degree from CMU and was working on her PhD, didn't consider this a form of cheating. Instead, she thought it was a brilliant form of "research" asked me to tutor HER into how I did my internet research and used Bing translate and also how I decided which paragraphs were relevant and which weren't. (Hint: it helps if you know how to write a simple five paragraph essay, something which apparently she hadn't been taught to do and thought was mind-blowing amazing once learned)

This should tell the OP something about the mentality of the students he's going to be teaching at CMU.

And once again, I have to express amazement that someone, esp. someone who presumably has an advanced degree can't use Google properly. I can assure you that the top students at CMU know how to use Google.

I've studied the Thai language for about six years, with the last three years being in private lessons from graduates from masters degree programs of CMU. The emphasis of my studies was in reading and writing Thai and learning Thai culture. With each twice-weekly lesson, I had to write little essays about Thailand -- natural history, geography, the kings, geography, fruits and vegetables, etc. I soon learned that Google could help me do my homework.

The Thai version of Google isn't really very good. Often the articles, about subjects like "The Economy of Issan" were pretty crummy in Thai Wikipedia, but the English version of Wikipedia had better articles that I could run thru Bing translate and then massage into a reasonable essay to turn in for a homework assignment.

I soon learned that my teacher, who had a Masters degree from CMU and was working on her PhD, didn't consider this a form of cheating. Instead, she thought it was a brilliant form of "research" asked me to tutor HER into how I did my internet research and used Bing translate and also how I decided which paragraphs were relevant and which weren't. (Hint: it helps if you know how to write a simple five paragraph essay, something which apparently she hadn't been taught to do and thought was mind-blowing amazing once learned)

This should tell the OP something about the mentality of the students he's going to be teaching at CMU.

If you were asked to write essays about Thailand for your benefit so that you can learn more and test your knowledge of how advanced you are from your own experiences of living in Thailand for which you should be proud of your own achievements. But instead you decided to use a different method and not tapping into the knowledge from what`s all ready in your mind. - The only person you cheated was yourself.

If you were asked to write essays about Thailand for your benefit so that you can learn more and test your knowledge of how advanced you are from your own experiences of living in Thailand for which you should be proud of your own achievements. But instead you decided to use a different method and not tapping into the knowledge from what`s all ready in your mind. - The only person you cheated was yourself.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't asked by the teacher to write essays about my own experience in Thailand. Instead I was asked to write essays about subjects like "the economy of the province of Lampang", "the health properties of kana" (you'll have to look that one up) "the best position for sleeping at night" (well, OK maybe that topic I could write from my own experience, but a little time with Thai language Google convinced me that they consider certain sleeping positions to be more healthful than others) and my person favorite was "the lifecyle of dolphins" in which I revealed to the teacher that dolphins give birth to live young and nurse them with milk. She had no clue. How could someone receive a Masters degree from CMU in ANY subject and not know that dolphins were mammals?

OP - Send a private message to tywais (look him up) I believe works for CMU. coffee1.gif

thanx, I am new in this forum, I am shocked by some comments and feedbacks, really unrelated to my question, but anyway thank you.

CMU is a large diverse institution and different parts are very very different from others. Like any job in any orgaization it depends on which part you are in and who you will be working with.

Perhaps you should look for another place to ask your question since a forum dominated by fat, old, and/or drunk folks is not a likely place to find answers to academic employment questions.

I am shocked that you did not spend 5 minutes brousing this forum to find out what kinds of foolishness it is filled with.

OP - Send a private message to tywais (look him up) I believe works for CMU. coffee1.gif

thanx, I am new in this forum, I am shocked by some comments and feedbacks, really unrelated to my question, but anyway thank you.

CMU is a large diverse institution and different parts are very very different from others. Like any job in any orgaization it depends on which part you are in and who you will be working with.

Perhaps you should look for another place to ask your question since a forum dominated by fat, old, and/or drunk folks is not a likely place to find answers to academic employment questions.

I am shocked that you did not spend 5 minutes brousing this forum to find out what kinds of foolishness it is filled with.

unfortunately you are right, I am now reading some similar treads that one suggested, and I have to say there are seriously damaged ppl here, but it is ok, I understand, it is internet and everything is possible here,

Yes...seriously damaged....by having experienced the way CMU has treated its students in the past.

Seriously damaged for trying to help you by telling the truth.

Yes treatment of students is unrelated to treatment of academics unless you are of the rare breed that cares about students and personal integrity.

No it won't. Experience with one staff member does not equate to the university as a whole. I've met, taught, trained hundreds of BS, Masters and PhD students and interact with research staff, professors, technicians etc. and dispute that statement. Of course as with any school, US, UK, etc. there will be the black sheep to be found. At least in my part of the university world the students are hard working, diligent and do their best. Oh, they are all good with Google but they are peered reviewed for accuracy and plagiarism is a big no-no. BTW, using material from another paper/publication is not plagiarism and is actually a requirement as one needs references in research publications. As long as full credit is given in the references section to that part.

Also a statement in your link "Yes, I think it is fair to "tarnish the entire University" in this case." is a disappointment as it was one unit that wasn't even directly run by the university.

Working there for 23 years and used to teach a PhD semester course. Due to time constraints they took me off the teaching roster due to research duties but I still am an invited lecturer on occasion. I also headed up the 1st International Internship program held at the university recently.

I find it a great place to work or I wouldn't be there but getting a foothold in can be difficult without specific, unique expertise. Probably cold calling is the best option as that is how I did it. Find departments of interest and in your specialty and try and get an appointment with the head or vice head.

I think the fact that no one who works at CMU has the courage to post about their experiences in a public forum should tell the OP something.

You posted after I was typing up a reply. Some of us are actually busy but just saw a PM that the member sent me just now with the question then saw this topic.

CMU appears to be a 'use and abuse' employer.

According to lots of my pals who were unfortunate enough to work there.

They feel they are too important to provide 'work permits' or pay Thai SS (employees health insurance) or any other of that annoying paperwork that foreigners working in Thailand are supposed to have.

Good luck!

It is probably true that there is variability within fiefdoms...i mean faculties.

THe problems you acknowled Tvwais did concern one unit. Wholy owned by the University but leased and running OK (though not without a few faults) until the University itself decided to cancel everyones courses without refunds.

I have 3 certificates from there. I was at one stage proud to display them. Not any more.

There are however of course good people there....but not everyone.

They feel they are too important to provide 'work permits' or pay Thai SS (employees health insurance) or any other of that annoying paperwork that foreigners working in Thailand are supposed to have.

Good luck!

I know lots of people that work at CMU or have worked there. I don't recall any of them not being able to get a work permit or their benefits were not paid if they were eligible for them.

Good luck!

The university is obligated by law to provide work permits and pay SS. I know quite a few foreign teachers, researchers and never met anyone in the 23 years there that had not been given the documentation and assistance to obtain their WP and immigration extensions.

I'm sure you are familiar with this forum rule.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Also this could be considered libelous/defamation.

No it won't. Experience with one staff member does not equate to the university as a whole. I've met, taught, trained hundreds of BS, Masters and PhD students and interact with research staff, professors, technicians etc. and dispute that statement. Of course as with any school, US, UK, etc. there will be the black sheep to be found. At least in my part of the university world the students are hard working, diligent and do their best. Oh, they are all good with Google but they are peered reviewed for accuracy and plagiarism is a big no-no. BTW, using material from another paper/publication is not plagiarism and is actually a requirement as one needs references in research publications. As long as full credit is given in the references section to that part.

Also a statement in your link "Yes, I think it is fair to "tarnish the entire University" in this case." is a disappointment as it was one unit that wasn't even directly run by the university.

Working there for 23 years and used to teach a PhD semester course. Due to time constraints they took me off the teaching roster due to research duties but I still am an invited lecturer on occasion. I also headed up the 1st International Internship program held at the university recently.

I find it a great place to work or I wouldn't be there but getting a foothold in can be difficult without specific, unique expertise. Probably cold calling is the best option as that is how I did it. Find departments of interest and in your specialty and try and get an appointment with the head or vice head.

When the students enrolled at the CMU Language Institute they were under the impression it was run by CMU, esp. since the building is on the CMU campus. The actions of the highest levels of the CMU administration were abominable in this debacle. The fact that the only students who received refunds were those who paid for their courses with a credit card issued by a foreign financial institution should be a clue that the university engage in fraud. The credit card receipts said "Chiang Mai University" -- not the name of the individual that the university blamed for the problem. If the University felt they had a case to prove they weren't to blame, then why didn't they contest the refunds with the credit card companies?

And of course, there was the problem of dozens of students who suddenly found themselves without ED visas. In some cases, their passports were locked in the office at the CMU language institute without them having a means to retrieve them until they got their consulate/embassies involved.

It was a shameful chapter in CMU's history. I warn any foreigner considering employment there to be very, very careful.

Given the General tone of the comments and replies here that are dangerously close to to forum rule:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

In the interest of forum members and this forum. This TOPIC is now CLOSED.