Thai ex-PM Thaksin: Thailand like Myanmar before reforms

webfact

Thai ex-PM Thaksin: Thailand like Myanmar before reforms
By Max Constant

Deposed PM slams draft charter written after coup against sister’s elected gov’t, calling it ‘a charade to show the world that Thailand is returning to democracy’

BANGKOK: -- Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has compared Thailand under junta rule to Myanmar pre-political reforms.

In a rare interview with two international newspapers Sunday, Thaksin Shinawatra -- who has been living in exile since 2008 -- lashed out at a draft charter written by a military-appointed committee after a 2014 coup against the elected government of his sister Yingluck.

“It is a charade to show the world that Thailand is returning to democracy,” he told the Asian Wall Street Journal. “But in reality, it would be like Myanmar before its political reforms. There would be a prime minister, but the real power would be in some politburo above him and the economy would suffer,” he said. “No other government would want to touch Thailand.”

Full story: http://aa.com.tr/en/politics/thai-ex-pm-thaksin-thailand-like-myanmar-before-reforms-/524937

-- AA 2016-02-22

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blah blah blah, come home face the court , regain respect , at the end of the day casting dispersions from afar just belittles you more,

Is that all you can say? How about his quote, which is by the way spot on. You don't have to like Thaksin to agree with these sentences.

Thaksin is out of his mind..... He is what took Thailand in a downward spiral, and his sister did the same... Thailand does Not need his false statement in comparing Thailand to the way Burma was.... BS.... He should come back and do his time in the monkey house... He is the criminal...

I know some people will not agree with my thoughts... So what.... I Love Thailand and only want the best for it...

So I suppose he is totally blameless for the state of play in Thailand right now!!!

Trying to put certain mechanics in place to stop this <deleted> and his cohorts lying to the Thai people and milking Thailand all over again isn't going to be easy and I'm sure it's nearly an impossible job.

Although not ideal personally would I rather have the present people in power than his bunch and you can slate my comments as much as you want.

Good morning...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/headlines/I-definitely-stay-out-of-politics-Thaksin-30066726.html

"I definitely stay out of politics" : Thaksin

2:19 pm: Thaksin starts speaking at his press conference.

During the conference, he vows to stay out of politics and apologised to the people for their hardship caused by his involvement in the political conflict.

https://hicomrade.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/thaksin-says-he-doesnt-plan-return-to-thai-politics-update4/

“I quit politics, I have other roles to play,” Thaksin told reporters at Hong Kong airport today before leaving for Bangkok. “Enough is enough.” On the plane ride, he said he would “never ever” return to politics.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/headlines/I-definitely-stay-out-of-politics-Thaksin-30066726.html

During the conference, he vows to stay out of politics and apologised to the people for their hardship caused by his involvement in the political conflict.

https://hicomrade.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/thaksin-says-he-doesnt-plan-return-to-thai-politics-update4/

“I quit politics, I have other roles to play,” Thaksin told reporters at Hong Kong airport today before leaving for Bangkok. “Enough is enough.” On the plane ride, he said he would “never ever” return to politics.

Making a comment about the political situation is not returning to politics...

I think Thailand is going to be a long time recovering, doesn't matter who is in power !

And the date on that quote is 28th February 2008 , before his brother-in-law became PM, before the riots of 2009 & 2010, and before his sister/clone's time as PM, leading the latest-reincarnation of the party he inspires and which implements his wonderful policies, so we can see he's a man of his word ! facepalm.gif

If not for him pushing his amnesty through the whole coup would not have happened. His arrogance set this in motion (or at least gave it the perfect excuse) and now the guy is commenting on a situation he is the main responsible reason for. Priceless.

Some say there is an other reason for the coup (could be well true) but without Thaksin and his amnesty it would have looked totally different and all the changes would not have happened.

If he had not pushed as much and released his red terrorists we would not have been in this mess.

No more improper references to the Prime Minister of Thailand. Please.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878797-updated-notice-to-members-posting-in-thailand-news/

Thailand remains under the close watch of the Thai military and the rules related to Social Media and posting on Thaivisa will follow the guidelines set forth by the government and the military. Here are some things that you should consider when posting:

All suspects in lese majeste cases, national security cases, violators of NCPO orders will face court martial. In the past, discussion of the lese majeste law has been allowed, but due to increased scrutiny by the government this will no longer be permitted on Thaivisa.

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. Any posts which can be construed as rumor mongering are not allowed.

Posters violating these rules and the forum rules will receive a warning, a possible suspension of posting privileges or a ban from the site.

Please check the entire list of forum rules: http://www.thaivisa....tion=boardrules

Blah blah blah, come home face the court , regain respect , at the end of the day casting dispersions from afar just belittles you more,

Is that all you can say? How about his quote, which is by the way spot on. You don't have to like Thaksin to agree with these sentences.

how about his quote ?

who cares about quotes from people who have no credibility at all

Who is right and who is wrong here,

I do not support Thaksin, however the talk of his attempt at an amnesty being an evil or corrupt thing as it was, needs to be balanced with the acknowledgement of the NCPO and their self applied amnesty on taking power.

Why are some posters so hung up about Thaksin seems to me his way is the Thai way and little different from the actions of those in power at present.

how about his quote ?

who cares about quotes from people who have no credibility at all

Rather than slag off the messenger, why don't directly address the things he says?

Who is right and who is wrong here,

I do not support Thaksin, however the talk of his attempt at an amnesty being an evil or corrupt thing as it was, needs to be balanced with the acknowledgement of the NCPO and their self applied amnesty on taking power.

Why are some posters so hung up about Thaksin seems to me his way is the Thai way and little different from the actions of those in power at present.

Because many of the posters on this thread are unable to view politics in terms of issues and find it a lot easier to perceive as some great big football match, once you've aligned yourself to a strip, that's it....logic, analysis and reason go out of the window.